Dish ViP722 DVR Best HD DVR on the market! - Page 5 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #121 of 650 Old 09-28-2008, 07:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Because the VIP 722 doesn't have a QAM tuner in it and cable uses that scheme. Unfortunately you will not be able to achieve what you are looking for unless you are able to ad an antenna that will receive your ATSC signal from the local stations.

Bobby 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 650 Old 09-28-2008, 07:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Satcom15 View Post

I saw an earlier post related to the matter of program archive that indicated that the only way one could keep a program was to remain a D* subscriber. The program would be stored on the DVR or an external drive. When D* subscription terminates, the program disappears into the ether, never to be seen again.

However, I wonder if this would work for permanent, non-D* archival: According to the manual it appears that you could use the remote TV (TV2) coaxial cable output as an input to a DVD Recorder (see page 109 of the manual). Is it possible to then use the DVD Recorder output (component or YPbPr) as an another Nearby TV (TV1) input. Could you record the arriving signal on the coaxial cable input (from the VIP722HD) on a DVD for later playback (using another TV1 video/audio input)?

Clearly it would not be HD, but if there was some program you wanted to keep, it seems like this would work. I have a Sony RDR-VX515 and would like to use it from time to time for permanent storage if there is a way.

Also, could I send a previously made DVR recording to the recorder through the TV2 ouput and record it? If that was possible, what if the original program was HD, would it work since TV2 is SD only (i.e. will the VIP722 convert HD to SD before shipping it out over the TV2 output)?

If TV2 SD output is digital, would this even work? I do not know if the Sony could record and play back an SD signal (it may be limited to analog). However, perhaps there are other DVD recorders that can. Or, could the SD signal be converted to analog before insertion into the recorder.

I'm sooooo confused. Thanks in advance for any comments or suggestions.

The TV2 output is analog, so using a DVD recording IS an option. It will be an SD recording. The 722 will downconvert the HD signal to SD. You can record in letterbox or normal mode.

I don't know much about DVD recorders, so please forgive my ignorance. If the DVD recorder has S-Video (or component) in, the better solution would be just to run S-Video (or component) and audio out (does the DVD recorder have optical in? If so, even better) from the 722 (TV1) to the DVD recorder as this will likely give you a better resulting recording.

Also, D* refers to DirecTV. E* refers to Dish (Echostar). Good luck!

Ted
post #123 of 650 Old 09-28-2008, 08:25 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby94928 View Post

Because the VIP 722 doesn't have a QAM tuner in it and cable uses that scheme. Unfortunately you will not be able to achieve what you are looking for unless you are able to ad an antenna that will receive your ATSC signal from the local stations.

Bobby and Ted - Thanks for the information. I guess I'll try an antenna. Thanks again!
post #124 of 650 Old 09-28-2008, 09:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbridges View Post

Bobby and Ted - Thanks for the information. I guess I'll try an antenna. Thanks again!

Here is a good resource for picking an appropriate antenna:

http://www.antennaweb.org/aw/welcome.aspx

Ted
post #125 of 650 Old 09-28-2008, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by primetimeguy View Post

Nope. split TV2 as much as you like. Mine goes 8 ways.

I assume you're using a distribution amp to handle that many splits?
post #126 of 650 Old 09-28-2008, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick_R View Post

evilmonkeys,

The 722/622 saves what you are watching for one hour. Thus you can back up, up to one hour. However, when you switch channels it throws it away. Thus you can back up up to one hour or to the last time you switched channels, whichever is less.

Rick R

After backing up within the 1-hour buffer, can you start recording from that point? The TiVo (although only 30 minutes) has spoiled me in that I can miss the start of a program on the currently tuned channel but be assured that I can still record it in its entirety.
post #127 of 650 Old 09-28-2008, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncted View Post

Also, D* refers to DirecTV. E* refers to Dish (Echostar). Good luck!

Ted

Ted,
Thank you so much for your comments. Fer heavin's sake how could I have made such a blunder - Of course, I really meant E* not D* in my earlier post. But wait, Echostar is now officially a seperate company and the engineering arm of the Charlie Ergan empire. It is not directly involved with program content and distribution (unless the uplink facility in Cheyenne falls under it). The Dish Network company handles the Direct to Home TV broadcasts and content (the consumer arm if you will). Used to have a vanpool rider that worked at Echostar in Englewood. While under the same corporate holding company umbrella, Echostar and Dish Network are separate companies. So Dish Network is really the proper company name to consider as competition to D*. And now both companies use "D", what should we do? Call them DN and DT?

Thanks again for information, it confirmed what I was thinking.
Cheers
post #128 of 650 Old 09-29-2008, 04:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonH View Post

After backing up within the 1-hour buffer, can you start recording from that point? The TiVo (although only 30 minutes) has spoiled me in that I can miss the start of a program on the currently tuned channel but be assured that I can still record it in its entirety.

Yes you can.

I watched a program , halfway into it I have to leave. I rewind all the way and start recording. The buffer is 1 hour.
post #129 of 650 Old 09-29-2008, 08:41 AM

I upgraded to the VIP722 this morning. I have a couple quick questions...

I was under the impression that the 722 handles 1080p with their on-demand channels. However, in HDTV setup, the highest resolution I can select is
1080i. Also, the channels associated with 1080p on demand per the Dish website don't show up on my channel guide. How do I enable 1080p and receive these channels?

Also, my channel guide shows future programming until at least Thursday for all channels except for locals. For example, I can't view past today's 1130am slot for ABC, its blocked off saying "no info available". I tried running a program update, but that didn't seem to work. Can anyone help me out?

Thanks!
post #130 of 650 Old 09-29-2008, 09:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by papawood23 View Post

I was under the impression that the 722 handles 1080p with their on-demand channels. However, in HDTV setup, the highest resolution I can select is
1080i. Also, the channels associated with 1080p on demand per the Dish website don't show up on my channel guide. How do I enable 1080p and receive these channels?

Also, my channel guide shows future programming until at least Thursday for all channels except for locals. For example, I can't view past today's 1130am slot for ABC, its blocked off saying "no info available". I tried running a program update, but that didn't seem to work. Can anyone help me out?

Thanks!

There is no setting for 1080p. If you rent a movie that is in 1080p on channel 501 then it will auto switch to 1080p24 if your TV is capable. It is only 1080p while those specific movies are playing.
post #131 of 650 Old 09-29-2008, 09:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
If you want to save to DVD shows that are on the 722/622 the best way is to use the s-video out to the DVD burner. I do this and get near commercial quality widescreen DVDs. My DVD burner does not have a optical in so the DVDs are stereo only however.

To do this you need to make sure the DVD burner has s-video in. I got a Phillips unit from Wal Mart.

Rick R
post #132 of 650 Old 09-29-2008, 10:03 AM

I have had the 722 DVR for about 4 months now. Recently I have notice something that is very troubling. When I record/pause an event and then go to view it, the playback often freezes up or skips erratically. For example, I recorded parts of the Ryder Cup last weekend. While watching the playback the picture would often freeze up and skip ahead. The problem seems to be amplified as I try to skip through the commercials and on several occasions the picture would just freeze and get stuck for periods up to 10 mins. and I would have to power down the receiver to get a picture back.

Has anyone experienced a problem like this?
post #133 of 650 Old 09-29-2008, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akajimmy View Post

Yes you can.

I watched a program , halfway into it I have to leave. I rewind all the way and start recording. The buffer is 1 hour.

Thanks! I had gotten used to that and am glad to hear that the 722 supports it. In fact with multiple tuners it might need it even more.

Are there 2 or 3 buffers? i.e. is OTA buffered too?
post #134 of 650 Old 09-29-2008, 06:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonH View Post

Thanks! I had gotten used to that and am glad to hear that the 722 supports it. In fact with multiple tuners it might need it even more.

Are there 2 or 3 buffers? i.e. is OTA buffered too?

3: 2 SAT & 1 OTA

Ted
post #135 of 650 Old 09-30-2008, 08:32 AM

Quote:

Ted

Woo Hoo! That will take the place of the three TiVo's I have
post #136 of 650 Old 09-30-2008, 01:50 PM

Could anyone tell me precisely how to setup the OTA anteannae?
post #137 of 650 Old 09-30-2008, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by papawood23 View Post

Also, the channels associated with 1080p on demand per the Dish website don't show up on my channel guide. How do I enable 1080p and receive these channels?

Thanks!

The On Demand menus may take a couple days to show up on the guide. I think they only update it once or twice a week. I have four movies on the on Demand menu (Rambo, 10000bc, rosco jenkins, and fools gold) 10000bc was the only one that stated it was broadcast in 1080P. and it was only $2.99 . the other three were higher. Theyre all listed on the same channel.

Hopefully your guide will update itself. If not, try a manual reset (under the right front panel press and hold the power button).
post #138 of 650 Old 10-01-2008, 09:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

Could anyone tell me precisely how to setup the OTA anteannae?

There is an antenna in connector on the back of the 722. You connect the antenna there. If you need help on selecting an antenna there is a sticky thread on the subject in the HDTV Technical forum. The short answer is if you live close to the transmitters a set top antenna such as the Silver Sensor is good. Otherwise a rooftop antenna is required.

Going into the 722 menu for local channels to do a scan is also required.

Rick R
post #139 of 650 Old 10-01-2008, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick_R View Post

There is an antenna in connector on the back of the 722. You connect the antenna there. If you need help on selecting an antenna there is a sticky thread on the subject in the HDTV Technical forum. The short answer is if you live close to the transmitters a set top antenna such as the Silver Sensor is good. Otherwise a rooftop antenna is required.

Going into the 722 menu for local channels to do a scan is also required.

Rick R

I do have the antenae hooked up to the dvr, I scan for channels and nothing comes in.

If I have the antenae hooked up to the west, I get many many channels, all in crystal clear HD.

What am I doing wrong?
post #140 of 650 Old 10-02-2008, 08:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I do have the antenae hooked up to the dvr, I scan for channels and nothing comes in.

If I have the antenae hooked up to the west, I get many many channels, all in crystal clear HD.

What am I doing wrong?

What is a "west"? Is that your TV? Westinghouse?

Ted
post #141 of 650 Old 10-02-2008, 09:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Quote:

What am I doing wrong?

MSP stations are broadcast from towers in Shoreview. Not sure where you are at

check out HDTVtwincities.com for local antenna setup.
post #142 of 650 Old 10-02-2008, 11:16 AM

Quote:

What is a "west"? Is that your TV? Westinghouse?

Ted

Yes, the tv is a Westinghouse. tx42f430s

I live in West St. Paul. There are a lot of local channels.
post #143 of 650 Old 10-02-2008, 01:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Yes, the tv is a Westinghouse. tx42f430s

I live in West St. Paul. There are a lot of local channels.

If you can get the channels to come in OTA to your tv, but not your DVR, then there is something wrong with your DVR. I would call Tech Support. (Be prepared to wait and be patient as some of Dish's call centers are overseas and busy).

Ted
post #144 of 650 Old 10-02-2008, 03:39 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm going to go out on a limb here. akajimmy, you are doing the scan in the DVR aren't you? To do that, on your DVR remote press Menu, 6, 9 and then Scan Locals. Is that what you have done already?

Bobby 

post #145 of 650 Old 10-02-2008, 07:21 PM

Quote:

I'm going to go out on a limb here. akajimmy, you are doing the scan in the DVR aren't you? To do that, on your DVR remote press Menu, 6, 9 and then Scan Locals. Is that what you have done already?

Yes. That is what I have done. I scan and 0 channels come up.
post #146 of 650 Old 10-03-2008, 07:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Then it sounds like the ATSC tuner or something going to it is bad as has been mentioned previously. Get them to send you another DVR.

Bobby 

post #147 of 650 Old 10-05-2008, 11:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Quote:

Ted

I am considering dumping Comcast and switching to DISH. According to their on line 'help' person I can record 2 shows at the same time off an antenna. I am really wondering if this is true. We don't yet have local HD's from DISH here in Indy, and I only can pull the trigger if it can do 2 over-the-air recordings at once. Thanks.
post #148 of 650 Old 10-05-2008, 12:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Only one OTA tuner, sorry.....

Bobby 

post #149 of 650 Old 10-05-2008, 12:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Quote:

Only one OTA tuner, sorry.....

That's what I was afraid of..lol. AVS Forum sure helps in these situations! So I guess I am stuck with Comcast for the moment. I could go with Directv but they are barely cheaper than Comcast. Maybe DISH will get my HD locals available soon. We have a 1.6 million metro area and still no HD locals.
post #150 of 650 Old 10-05-2008, 06:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanBuck View Post

That's what I was afraid of..lol. AVS Forum sure helps in these situations! So I guess I am stuck with Comcast for the moment. I could go with Directv but they are barely cheaper than Comcast. Maybe DISH will get my HD locals available soon. We have a 1.6 million metro area and still no HD locals.

Dish seems to have something against Indy for some reason. Options include TivoHD, or you can wait for the 922 which will have dual OTA tuners.

Ted
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page