Dish ViP722 DVR Best HD DVR on the market! - Page 6 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #151 of 650 Old 10-05-2008, 09:48 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
We just got the new 722 installed a few days ago and are still figuring it out. We have been using it in single mode (love the picture in picture capabilities) and have TV1 hooked up via HDMI cable to to the Samsung 67" DLP. The TV2 output goes into our distribution box which sends the signal off to two other SD tv's in the house.

But today something came up and I can't figure out what we should have done. We were recording Nascar on one channel and at the same time watching NFL football on another channel. We did not want to use the PIP but just wanted to flip back and forth between the ongoing recording and the NFL game.

Problem was that while we were recording we did not have the "resume" option, so as soon as we went back into the other channel to watch the football game, we could not pick back up on the nascar race where we had left off because it was still in recording mode.

So... there must be a way to do this. Should we have been using Dual Mode? or when we were watching the ongoing Nascar recording, if we would have hit pause, then hit the recall button to go back to the football game and then back to the Nascar race would that have worked?

Still learning and this technology is pretty fancy and complicated too!

Portia
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 650 Old 10-06-2008, 07:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by PortiaN View Post

We just got the new 722 installed a few days ago and are still figuring it out. We have been using it in single mode (love the picture in picture capabilities) and have TV1 hooked up via HDMI cable to to the Samsung 67" DLP. The TV2 output goes into our distribution box which sends the signal off to two other SD tv's in the house.

But today something came up and I can't figure out what we should have done. We were recording Nascar on one channel and at the same time watching NFL football on another channel. We did not want to use the PIP but just wanted to flip back and forth between the ongoing recording and the NFL game.

Problem was that while we were recording we did not have the "resume" option, so as soon as we went back into the other channel to watch the football game, we could not pick back up on the nascar race where we had left off because it was still in recording mode.

So... there must be a way to do this. Should we have been using Dual Mode? or when we were watching the ongoing Nascar recording, if we would have hit pause, then hit the recall button to go back to the football game and then back to the Nascar race would that have worked?

Still learning and this technology is pretty fancy and complicated too!

Portia

The way to do what you want is to leave your 722 in Single Mode, use the pause button for the Nascar program and the SWAP button instead of the recall button. You would only need to make sure that you had your second tuner on the NFL game. When you swap back and forth you can just push the play button and you are watching the next frame from where you left off.

Bobby 

post #153 of 650 Old 10-06-2008, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby94928 View Post

The way to do what you want is to leave your 722 in Single Mode, use the pause button for the Nascar program and the SWAP button instead of the recall button. You would only need to make sure that you had your second tuner on the NFL game. When you swap back and forth you can just push the play button and you are watching the next frame from where you left off.

Thanks! I'll give that a try next time!

Portia
post #154 of 650 Old 10-11-2008, 08:04 PM

The 722 is a nice unit for sure!

Two questions, though: Is it possible to make the unit turn on to a specific station every time you power up (or to start on a blank screen - helpful when you're recording programs you don't want to see in progress)?

and,

After watching a DVR program and deleting it, is there a way to keep the unit from switching to a live or currently recording feed? I record a lot of sporting events and hate to delete a previously recorded event only to have the one I've been recording for the last two hours show up as a live feed in the corner.

Yes, I know the guide could be changed to not show a video preview anytime you look at it or use the DVR menu, but I would like to have the preview screen up there most of the time, just not when I'm recording something.
post #155 of 650 Old 10-20-2008, 09:16 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
Link to Dish website info:

http://tech.dishnetwork.com/departme...iver/722.shtml

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

post #156 of 650 Old 10-22-2008, 06:09 PM

I am looking to upgrade my dish box to the 2 tv HD DVR box. Right now I just have the regular 2 tv or 2 room box, where one box contols the television in both rooms. So now I'm looking to get the HD DVR version of this box and I am wondering how does the HDTV signal get to the television in the 2nd room. I know that with my current box the 2nd television gets it signal via the rf cable connected to the rf antenna input. I cant see this working for the HDTV box, is there a a second HDMI or component output?

"Man, you're like school on a Saturday.......No Class", Fat Abert-80's Saturday moring cartoon.
post #157 of 650 Old 10-22-2008, 07:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Topics merged.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

post #158 of 650 Old 10-23-2008, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxker View Post

I am looking to upgrade my dish box to the 2 tv HD DVR box. Right now I just have the regular 2 tv or 2 room box, where one box contols the television in both rooms. So now I'm looking to get the HD DVR version of this box and I am wondering how does the HDTV signal get to the television in the 2nd room. I know that with my current box the 2nd television gets it signal via the rf cable connected to the rf antenna input. I cant see this working for the HDTV box, is there a a second HDMI or component output?

Uh-never mind, upon closer look, it seems that only tv1 is hd capable.

"Man, you're like school on a Saturday.......No Class", Fat Abert-80's Saturday moring cartoon.
post #159 of 650 Old 10-23-2008, 08:46 AM

Liked: 11
Yeah TV is the only HD tv allowed on the box. But I wonder if they could employ what the ZvBox does. It puts a computer monitor's output on a QAM channel that can be accessed by any HD tv with a HD Tuner. I am sure there is some hardware and software consideration but it would be interesting if Dish could add this to a HD box.
post #160 of 650 Old 10-23-2008, 09:06 AM

as a former Dish subscriber, I have yet to see a better DVR than Dish's, that's for sure.
post #161 of 650 Old 10-23-2008, 09:33 AM

Liked: 11
I'd say as a former Tivo Series 2 subscriber that the Tivo interface is a bit cleaner. I think the features are about the same. Now compared to my cable DVR, oh man its like seeing Blu Ray after VHS.

I like that with the Dish DVR you can group shows together. Seeing the recordings by day and also being able to see the ones they skip is nice if you happen to miss an episode for some reason and want to record the re-run in addition to the timer already set up.
post #162 of 650 Old 10-24-2008, 01:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Character_Zero View Post

Yeah TV is the only HD tv allowed on the box. But I wonder if they could employ what the ZvBox does. It puts a computer monitor's output on a QAM channel that can be accessed by any HD tv with a HD Tuner. I am sure there is some hardware and software consideration but it would be interesting if Dish could add this to a HD box.

They could put out a 8VSB signal then any digital OTA reception capable TV could get the HD signal. But then of course you would be able to record the output and Hollywood would not like that...

Rick R
post #163 of 650 Old 10-24-2008, 05:07 PM

any way to transfer HD content from DVR to PC?
post #164 of 650 Old 10-24-2008, 05:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by nekrosoft13 View Post

any way to transfer HD content from DVR to PC?

nope
post #165 of 650 Old 10-25-2008, 08:51 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by primetimeguy View Post

nope

Unless you have a component-based HD video capture card. It would not be a bit-copy, but it would still be HD.

Ted
post #166 of 650 Old 10-28-2008, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akajimmy View Post

Yes. That is what I have done. I scan and 0 channels come up.

The first time I scanned I thought it came up with zero channels, but realized I was too impatient. When I did it again I walked away and it takes a few minutes to scan all the channels. If it goes thru all the channels and you are getting nothing then yes there must be something wrong with the box.
post #167 of 650 Old 10-30-2008, 02:03 AM

We've had Directv service for about a year now, got it when we went HD. We were loyal Tivo users when we were using the Cox Cable SD service, but their HD offerings were meager in comparison to Directv. My only complaint is the monthly cost of Directv...about $130 (I was orignally quoted about $100 then got backdoored at installation for extra lease fees, etc., which I didn't discover until I got my first bill), but that's for EVERYTHING accept the Espanol package. Also, what I miss the most is my Pioneer DVR/DVD burner unit with Tivo built in that allowed me to burn programs recorded on the DVR by Tivo directly on to a DVD-R. I've read in this thread about the superior HD-DVR's offered by Dish; I especially like the USB port that will accomodate an external HD. I'm considering paying the early cancellation fee to Directv (we've got another year left on our contract) to switch to Dish as it appears we could save ourselves some money every month and probably break even. And the packages both offer, especially for EVERYTHING but the Spanish channels, seem pretty much the same. I guess the clincher for me would be if the Dish HD-DVR's USB port that accomodate's an external HD will allow me to transfer programs to my PC then burn them to a DVD-R. I've read here that you cannot watch programs from an external HD on a PC, but what about burning them to a DVD-R to watch on a DVD player? Thanks.
post #168 of 650 Old 10-30-2008, 06:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanXTC View Post

We've had Directv service for about a year now, got it when we went HD. We were loyal Tivo users when we were using the Cox Cable SD service, but their HD offerings were meager in comparison to Directv. My only complaint is the monthly cost of Directv...about $130 (I was orignally quoted about $100 then got backdoored at installation for extra lease fees, etc., which I didn't discover until I got my first bill), but that's for EVERYTHING accept the Espanol package. Also, what I miss the most is my Pioneer DVR/DVD burner unit with Tivo built in that allowed me to burn programs recorded on the DVR by Tivo directly on to a DVD-R. I've read in this thread about the superior HD-DVR's offered by Dish; I especially like the USB port that will accomodate an external HD. I'm considering paying the early cancellation fee to Directv (we've got another year left on our contract) to switch to Dish as it appears we could save ourselves some money every month and probably break even. And the packages both offer, especially for EVERYTHING but the Spanish channels, seem pretty much the same. I guess the clincher for me would be if the Dish HD-DVR's USB port that accomodate's an external HD will allow me to transfer programs to my PC then burn them to a DVD-R. I've read here that you cannot watch programs from an external HD on a PC, but what about burning them to a DVD-R to watch on a DVD player? Thanks.

Given that Tivo software is coming soon to DirecTV DVRs, you might want to wait. If you have a hard disk based DVR Recorder, you can record shows from Dish DVRs. You can do this with DirecTV DVRs as well though. I really like my Dish DVRs, but I am not sure I would end a contract early just to get one.

Ted
post #169 of 650 Old 10-30-2008, 09:48 AM

Thanks for the quick reply, Ted. Question: When you say "hard disk based DVR recorder," are you talking about an additional unit, like a Series 2 Tivo, that will allow me to connect to and record shows off my Directv DVR? I'm confused...I want to BURN recorded programs onto a DVD-R blank disc. How does what you're telling me help me do that?

Thanks.
Byron

Ps. Tivo software on Directv DVRs...really!
post #170 of 650 Old 10-31-2008, 06:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Thanks for the quick reply, Ted. Question: When you say "hard disk based DVR recorder," are you talking about an additional unit, like a Series 2 Tivo, that will allow me to connect to and record shows off my Directv DVR? I'm confused...I want to BURN recorded programs onto a DVD-R blank disc. How does what you're telling me help me do that?

Thanks.
Byron

Ps. Tivo software on Directv DVRs...really!

There are DVR Recorders from companies like Panasonic, Polaroid, Philips, etc. that have hard disks built in, so you can edit the recording before you commit (burn) it to disc. This is useful for removing commercials, etc.

Looks here for more information: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=106

For the Tivo on Directv topic, see here:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1062861

Ted
post #171 of 650 Old 10-31-2008, 11:04 AM

Thanks again Ted. Guess I'll stick with Directv for a while longer. Any idea how soon that Tivo software will become standard in the Directv HD-DVR?
post #172 of 650 Old 10-31-2008, 06:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks again Ted. Guess I'll stick with Directv for a while longer. Any idea how soon that Tivo software will become standard in the Directv HD-DVR?

Tivo will be optional. They will probably make it more of a premium service where they can charge more $. The D* DVR is the standard one which will be the undercutting product.
post #173 of 650 Old 10-31-2008, 07:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

The running joke about any new feature in a cable/satellite DVR is "soon."

Ted
post #174 of 650 Old 11-08-2008, 07:44 AM

Just checking... Is this box now able to pass-through HD channels in their native broadcast resolution or is output still fixed to a single resolution choice?
post #175 of 650 Old 11-08-2008, 08:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by SireTV View Post

Just checking... Is this box now able to pass-through HD channels in their native broadcast resolution or is output still fixed to a single resolution choice?

No native passthrough yet
post #176 of 650 Old 11-14-2008, 05:47 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm about to pull the trigger on the TurboHD package and drop D*. Dish just announced Local HDs in my DMA. D* has been promising me for 2 years that I was getting it soon.

Here is my question:

I have three TVs. I have an HD TV, and two SD TVs. I'm going to get the VIP722 HD DVR and hook up one of the SD TVs with the RCA outputs. I've read some bits of info here that some folks use a distribution module to split the RCA output to several SD TVs. I'd like to do this. What type of distribution module do I need, and can I get it from monoprice? If I go this route, I assume both SD TVs will have to watch the same program? Also, can you get a 2nd UHF remote for the other SD TV anywhere?

EDIT: One additional question. Does the Dish installer run the RCA cables to the SD TV, or is that up to the subscriber? If up to me, that's fine as I'll just run three RG-6 Coax Cables (already have two to that TV) and buy some Coax-RCA ends. If the Installers do it, how nice of a job do they do? Do they run the cables in the wall and put an RCA wall plate behind the TV, or is it a 'dirty' job?

EDIT2: Forget the last question as I see an Agile Modulated Coax Output is used, so I assume they hook RCA out of the DVR to this modulator that splits it to Coax to send to the SD TV, which is good. So, my only question is out of that Modulator, how is everyone splitting it to take the signal to several SD TVs? Can you use a normal splitter, or another type of distribution module? Is it something you can get from Dish, or if not, as mentioned earlier, can you get it from monoprice?

Tony
post #177 of 650 Old 11-16-2008, 06:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonybradley View Post

I'm about to pull the trigger on the TurboHD package and drop D*. Dish just announced Local HDs in my DMA. D* has been promising me for 2 years that I was getting it soon.

Here is my question:

I have three TVs. I have an HD TV, and two SD TVs. I'm going to get the VIP722 HD DVR and hook up one of the SD TVs with the RCA outputs. I've read some bits of info here that some folks use a distribution module to split the RCA output to several SD TVs. I'd like to do this. What type of distribution module do I need, and can I get it from monoprice? If I go this route, I assume both SD TVs will have to watch the same program? Also, can you get a 2nd UHF remote for the other SD TV anywhere?

EDIT: One additional question. Does the Dish installer run the RCA cables to the SD TV, or is that up to the subscriber? If up to me, that's fine as I'll just run three RG-6 Coax Cables (already have two to that TV) and buy some Coax-RCA ends. If the Installers do it, how nice of a job do they do? Do they run the cables in the wall and put an RCA wall plate behind the TV, or is it a 'dirty' job?

EDIT2: Forget the last question as I see an Agile Modulated Coax Output is used, so I assume they hook RCA out of the DVR to this modulator that splits it to Coax to send to the SD TV, which is good. So, my only question is out of that Modulator, how is everyone splitting it to take the signal to several SD TVs? Can you use a normal splitter, or another type of distribution module? Is it something you can get from Dish, or if not, as mentioned earlier, can you get it from monoprice?

Anyone?

Tony
post #178 of 650 Old 11-16-2008, 07:20 AM

Tony,
Hopefully my response answers your question about signal splitting (can't answer the question about the remote). If you want to split an RCA signal there's two ways it can be done: passively and with a distribution amp.

Passive splitting results in a halving of your signal power level for each TV, that may not be the best way. Here is a site with an example passive splitter:

www.meritline.com/av-switcher-260.html

Distribution amplifiers compensate for that 1/2 half power loss. Depending on the cable run distance this is probably the better way to go. Here is one site with an example distribution amp:

http://www.firefold.com/RCA-4-Way-Au...43.aspx?afid=7

Its a four way amp. But since its an "active" device that won't matter if you use it with just two TVs. I'd stay clear of a 4 way passive splitter though because the signal arriving at your TV would now be 1/4 of the original signal strength.

Ideally (if $$$ was no object) you would have an RF power meter or spectrum analyzer and measure the 722 output signal level and measure it at each of the splitted outputs (either passive or active) and then again at the plug just in front of your TV. Then compare the level with the input level specs of the TV as well as determine the line loss. But that's getting down into the world of geekdom details. LOL

Hope this helps.
post #179 of 650 Old 11-16-2008, 07:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satcom15 View Post

Tony,
Hopefully my response answers your question about signal splitting (can't answer the question about the remote). If you want to split an RCA signal there's two ways it can be done: passively and with a distribution amp.

Passive splitting results in a halving of your signal power level for each TV, that may not be the best way. Here is a site with an example passive splitter:

www.meritline.com/av-switcher-260.html

Distribution amplifiers compensate for that 1/2 half power loss. Depending on the cable run distance this is probably the better way to go. Here is one site with an example distribution amp:

http://www.firefold.com/RCA-4-Way-Au...43.aspx?afid=7

Its a four way amp. But since its an "active" device that won't matter if you use it with just two TVs. I'd stay clear of a 4 way passive splitter though because the signal arriving at your TV would now be 1/4 of the original signal strength.

Ideally (if $$$ was no object) you would have an RF power meter or spectrum analyzer and measure the 722 output signal level and measure it at each of the splitted outputs (either passive or active) and then again at the plug just in front of your TV. Then compare the level with the input level specs of the TV as well as determine the line loss. But that's getting down into the world of geekdom details. LOL

Hope this helps.

Thank you. Big help!!!

Tony
post #180 of 650 Old 11-18-2008, 07:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Are there any pictures out there showing how the 2nd TV is connected to the 722? From what it appears on the Dish site, they hook up the 2nd TV utilizing the RCA connections on the back of the 722 labeled TV2. However, my neighbor had his installed, and he has Two Coax Cables out of the 722 into something that looks like a splitter (2 to 1). One Coax out of that splitter to another 2 to 1 splitter. Then, another Coax from a THIRD output of the 722 (dark, and couldn't read what that was for) into that same 2 to 1 Splitter. Then, one Coax from that 2nd splitter to the 2nd TV.

When does the RCA connections on the back of the 722 come into play? Is it an Either/Or choice for the Installer to use when running the 2nd TV from the 722? I'd assume that the RCA output would produce a better picture than the Modulated signals over the Coax, but don't know for sure.

Tony
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page