post #181 of 650 Old 11-18-2008, 07:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonybradley View Post

Are there any pictures out there showing how the 2nd TV is connected to the 722? From what it appears on the Dish site, they hook up the 2nd TV utilizing the RCA connections on the back of the 722 labeled TV2. However, my neighbor had his installed, and he has Two Coax Cables out of the 722 into something that looks like a splitter (2 to 1). One Coax out of that splitter to another 2 to 1 splitter. Then, another Coax from a THIRD output of the 722 (dark, and couldn't read what that was for) into that same 2 to 1 Splitter. Then, one Coax from that 2nd splitter to the 2nd TV.

When does the RCA connections on the back of the 722 come into play? Is it an Either/Or choice for the Installer to use when running the 2nd TV from the 722? I'd assume that the RCA output would produce a better picture than the Modulated signals over the Coax, but don't know for sure.

TV2 is coax only.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 650 Old 11-18-2008, 08:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by primetimeguy View Post

TV2 is coax only.

Thanks.

Tony
post #183 of 650 Old 11-18-2008, 09:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:

TV2 is coax only.

Quote:

Thanks.

And therefore not an HD signal.....

Bobby 

post #184 of 650 Old 11-18-2008, 09:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby94928 View Post

And therefore not an HD signal.....

Understand that. Just curious what the RCA outputs are for listed under TV2. I didn't know until last night that it was a single coax to location 2. I had thought it was RCA.

Tony
post #185 of 650 Old 11-18-2008, 10:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Understand that. Just curious what the RCA outputs are for listed under TV2. I didn't know until last night that it was a single coax to location 2. I had thought it was RCA.

Doing a little research on this, it would appear that the there is an RCA alternative. The connections on the back of the 722 specifically show RCA outputs for both TV1 and TV2, separately. The user's guide doesn't really refer to this at all that I can see. They are there, however. Does anyone out there have their TV2 hooked up via the RCA outputs on TV2?

Bobby 

post #186 of 650 Old 11-18-2008, 04:59 PM

I agree with Bobby. Looking at the figure on Page 21 of the User Guide (Chapter 2), TV 2 has an RCA output. According to the guide its SD only. However, if one has an outside antenna hooked directly to TV2, you should be able to receive HD Over the air.

The In-Home Distribution port looks like its just a "bypass" of the DVR. I suppose if you had another HD receiver (like another 722) in front of your TV2, then you could connect it to that. Still, I say that with a certain degree of uncertainty. It seems when you go to the Dish Website and the page that carries the User Manual. There is no Chapter 12. This is the chapter that talks about connections (check out the TOC). How odd is that?

Does anyone have a User guide with a Chapter 12? If so can you shed any light on connectivity options?
post #187 of 650 Old 11-18-2008, 05:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satcom15 View Post

I agree with Bobby. Looking at the figure on Page 21 of the User Guide (Chapter 2), TV 2 has an RCA output. According to the guide its SD only. However, if one has an outside antenna hooked directly to TV2, you should be able to receive HD Over the air.

The In-Home Distribution port looks like its just a "bypass" of the DVR. I suppose if you had another HD receiver (like another 722) in front of your TV2, then you could connect it to that. Still, I say that with a certain degree of uncertainty. It seems when you go to the Dish Website and the page that carries the User Manual. There is no Chapter 12. This is the chapter that talks about connections (check out the TOC). How odd is that?

Does anyone have a User guide with a Chapter 12? If so can you shed any light on connectivity options?

The Home Distribution output is the SD coax output for TV1 or TV2. It lets you send those signals to any other TV in the house and is normally how TV2 is connected.

The RCA output for TV2 is not discussed in Chp 12, but I'd assume it just sends the TV2 output as the box says. I've never connected my TV to that output.
post #188 of 650 Old 11-18-2008, 06:10 PM
AVS Special Member

So, how would one hook up TV2 so that the SD TV2 would share the DVR recordings and be able to record shows? My neighbor just got his, but said his daughter's TV (TV2-SD) could record, but she didn't have access to what he recorded from TV1, and vice versa. That made no sense to me. I'd think either TV would have access to view the recordings that originated from TV1 or TV2.

Tony
post #189 of 650 Old 11-18-2008, 07:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So, how would one hook up TV2 so that the SD TV2 would share the DVR recordings and be able to record shows? My neighbor just got his, but said his daughter's TV (TV2-SD) could record, but she didn't have access to what he recorded from TV1, and vice versa. That made no sense to me. I'd think either TV would have access to view the recordings that originated from TV1 or TV2.

Connect via the coax (Home Distribution Output).

You are right in that not making sense. You either see Dish channels and the DVR or not and have access to all recordings, so not sure what your neighbor is talking about.
post #190 of 650 Old 11-19-2008, 01:44 PM

Quote:

TV2 can be hooked up via coax or composite. Composite will give you a better picture quality than coax. I'm using composite on my daughter's tv from my 622(same receiver, smaller hard drive).
I have a 622 and a 722 and can access all recordings from either tv so I believe your neighbor is confused somehow.
post #191 of 650 Old 11-19-2008, 02:59 PM
Advanced Member

The only thing you cannot access directly from TV2 is the OTA tuner, unless its currently recording a program, then you can. ALL recordings are available to both TV1 and 2.

They even enabled you to view the External HD from TV2 if you have one.
post #192 of 650 Old 11-20-2008, 01:25 PM

I'm currently an analog cable subscriber. I also use an antenna to pull the local digitals over UHF. (most are HD) I feed both the cable and OTA into my TiVo HD. Now apparently Dish is offering locals for 5 extra dollars a month. Does this mean they will actually be broadcasting these through the satellite? I'm in the Gainesville, FL area so my closest NBC affiliate is 80 miles away (until Jan 1 when we'll get our own) Will Dish just give me the same one the cableco does?

If I can record two local channels (whether from OTA or through the dish) at the same time, I'll sign up tomorrow. Or... is that 5 dollars just for guide data.

Either way, I'll probably miss my almost brand new TiVo HD....
post #193 of 650 Old 11-21-2008, 05:39 AM

Liked: 11
You have to check thier website to see exactly what locals they braodcast over Dish for you. They will most likely all be in SD but maybe not all HD. I don't get ABC or CW through the dish but I get all the others. You do get guide data and the OTA tuner acts as the third tuner. So I can record any of the locals I get OTA along with 2 Dish channels. You can also opt to use the OTA signal over the Dish signal if need. Say, for instance, I wanted to record 3 channels and one of those is NBC. I get that through Dish but I can use the OTA feed to free up a Dish tuner. I hope that made sense. Anyway go to the Dish website and see if your locals are provided and which ones are in HD.
post #194 of 650 Old 11-21-2008, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Character_Zero View Post

You have to check thier website to see exactly what locals they braodcast over Dish for you. They will most likely all be in SD but maybe not all HD. I don't get ABC or CW through the dish but I get all the others. You do get guide data and the OTA tuner acts as the third tuner. So I can record any of the locals I get OTA along with 2 Dish channels. You can also opt to use the OTA signal over the Dish signal if need. Say, for instance, I wanted to record 3 channels and one of those is NBC. I get that through Dish but I can use the OTA feed to free up a Dish tuner. I hope that made sense. Anyway go to the Dish website and see if your locals are provided and which ones are in HD.

Well as it turns out, they do not offer NBC here... and they won't give me a the same feed the cable company carries because congress said that is wrong. Apparently there is a 3rd party company that somehow offers it for 5 bucks a month. (A guy that I work with buys it from a different company)

The irony is, we'll have NBC locally starting Jan 1st... I can't understand why they can't just offer me WNBC out of New York just for that month....
post #195 of 650 Old 11-21-2008, 07:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobleach View Post

Well as it turns out, they do not offer NBC here... and they won't give me a the same feed the cable company carries because congress said that is wrong. Apparently there is a 3rd party company that somehow offers it for 5 bucks a month. (A guy that I work with buys it from a different company)

The irony is, we'll have NBC locally starting Jan 1st... I can't understand why they can't just offer me WNBC out of New York just for that month....

Because, as you have found out, the FCC won't let them offer you out of area networks. January 1st is 40 days away, the networks will soon be going to their holiday programming, you can live with it, or not.

Just to let you know, having an NBC network channel in your area at the beginning of the new year does not necessarily mean that Dish will carry it. first they have to have an agreement with the station.

Bobby 

post #196 of 650 Old 11-21-2008, 11:01 AM

Quote:

Because, as you have found out, the FCC won't let them offer you out of area networks. January 1st is 40 days away, the networks will soon be going to their holiday programming, you can live with it, or not.

Where can I read more about this? (the reasoning behind the FCC decision... it HAS to make sense to somebody)

Quote:

Just to let you know, having an NBC network channel in your area at the beginning of the new year does not necessarily mean that Dish will carry it. first they have to have an agreement with the station.

Right, but since I'm not too far from the transmitter, I will be able to pull it just fine with a rooftop VHF antenna. My current UHF pulls all the other locals beautifully.
post #197 of 650 Old 11-21-2008, 12:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobleach View Post

Where can I read more about this? (the reasoning behind the FCC decision... it HAS to make sense to somebody)

Try here, it will give you a bit of an idea: http://www.boucher.house.gov/index.p...77&bsb_midx=-1

Bobby 

post #198 of 650 Old 11-21-2008, 12:29 PM

Quote:

Try here, it will give you a bit of an idea: http://www.boucher.house.gov/index.p...77&bsb_midx=-1

Thank you very much. I've been googling for all the info I can gather about this. Mostly only information about D* trying to pull the rug out from under E*, but I did read a petition and an interesting letter from a senator that helped me piece together why this "could" be detrimental to the networks.

In my mind I think I had classified it as, "We don't WANT people from Florida to see a signal from Atlanta... we don't care if the TV show is the same, they might forget to skip a commercial and then we'd REALLY be screwed if they saw a commercial for an Atlanta car lot or grocery store..." (yes, I know I tend to lace things with a load of sarcasm.) Let's make a FEDERAL law to preclude such a heinous crime!

I have been doing a bit of research into Distant Network availability and apparently I can receive the Atlanta feed from AllAmericanDirect. Does anyone have experience with them? Is it an HD feed?
post #199 of 650 Old 12-19-2008, 06:54 AM

Hi guys,

Me and my wife are enjoying our new 46ZP800u Panny for a week now. Hooked up the BD35k today, dropped in WALL-E (have an 8 year old - what can I say) and the picture was outstanding.

I do have a question for anybody with a DISH-Vip722 receiver though. I have my output resolution set to 1080i and the incoming signal to the Panny is great. Today I was playing with my settings and changed it to 720p.

Not sure if my mind and eyes were playing tricks on me but I thought that the HD picture was much better - somehow crisper.

Is this just my imagination?
post #200 of 650 Old 12-19-2008, 11:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by roman697 View Post

Hi guys,

Me and my wife are enjoying our new 46ZP800u Panny for a week now. Hooked up the BD35k today, dropped in WALL-E (have an 8 year old - what can I say) and the picture was outstanding.

I do have a question for anybody with a DISH-Vip722 receiver though. I have my output resolution set to 1080i and the incoming signal to the Panny is great. Today I was playing with my settings and changed it to 720p.

Not sure if my mind and eyes were playing tricks on me but I thought that the HD picture was much better - somehow crisper.

Is this just my imagination?

It probably depends on the channel. 1080i channels probably look better with the 722 set to 1080i while 720p channels look better on the 720p setting. Unfortunately the 722 does not have a native pass-through mode, so some of your channels are going to have to be up- or down-converted. I would just go with whatever looks best to you.

Ted
post #201 of 650 Old 12-22-2008, 11:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
It also depends on your displays native display format. If your TV displays 720p natively and you are watching a channel that is 720p them outputing to the display in 1080i means a conversion
720p->1080i->720p
This of course will degrade your picture.

Rick R
post #202 of 650 Old 12-24-2008, 05:11 PM

I have 2 HDTVs connected to my VIP722. Here's how I connected the 2nd HDTV: I connect the HDMI cable from the VIP722 to a 'Gefen HDMI CAT-5 Extreme'. The Gefen device has a sender unit and a receiver unit with 2 CAT-5 cables strung between them. Another HDMI cable connects the Gefen receiver unit and the 2nd HDTV. The CAT-5 cables can be up to 200 feet long. With the VIP722 in 'Single Mode', I have the full HD resolution and functionality at TV2 using the UHF remote. This sure beats the SD resolution and snowy picture that you get from the composite coax connection. I have found only 2 downsides to this arrangement. Unless you install an HDMI splitter, you have to manually switch the HDMI output to either TV1 or the Gefen unit for use with TV2. A splitter would enable you to use both TVs at the same time. And then there is the cost of the Gefen unit: MSRP of $499. Most likely you could find it available from a Gefen dealer for considerably less than this.
post #203 of 650 Old 12-24-2008, 07:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SillyConVal View Post

I have 2 HDTVs connected to my VIP722. Here's how I connected the 2nd HDTV: I connect the HDMI cable from the VIP722 to a 'Gefen HDMI CAT-5 Extreme'. The Gefen device has a sender unit and a receiver unit with 2 CAT-5 cables strung between them. Another HDMI cable connects the Gefen receiver unit and the 2nd HDTV. The CAT-5 cables can be up to 200 feet long. With the VIP722 in 'Single Mode', I have the full HD resolution and functionality at TV2 using the UHF remote. This sure beats the SD resolution and snowy picture that you get from the composite coax connection. I have found only 2 downsides to this arrangement. Unless you install an HDMI splitter, you have to manually switch the HDMI output to either TV1 or the Gefen unit for use with TV2. A splitter would enable you to use both TVs at the same time. And then there is the cost of the Gefen unit: MSRP of $499. Most likely you could find it available from a Gefen dealer for considerably less than this.

And the biggest downside is you have to watch the same thing on both TVs.

Did you know you can run HDMI to one TV and component to the other and do just what you did, with no HDMI slitter needed?
post #204 of 650 Old 12-24-2008, 10:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Got a quick question I'm hoping someone in here can help me with, even though it is actually about the Dish VIP622.

I was at a friends house last weekend going over their setup and trying to get it set up better. They have their VIP622 hooked up through their AVR using component video and optical audio, and then output the component video to the TV. They asked me if there was a way to watch satellite without using their AVR for late at night etc when they didn't want to bother with it. I figured this would be as easy as hooking up the HDMI output of the VIP622 straight into the TVs HDMI input, but I can't seem to get it to work. Does the VIP622 output component video and HDMI video at the same time or is it only one or the other? Do I need to reset the box, or do something to turn on the HDMI output?

Thanks.
post #205 of 650 Old 12-25-2008, 05:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerstalker View Post

Got a quick question I'm hoping someone in here can help me with, even though it is actually about the Dish VIP622.

I was at a friends house last weekend going over their setup and trying to get it set up better. They have their VIP622 hooked up through their AVR using component video and optical audio, and then output the component video to the TV. They asked me if there was a way to watch satellite without using their AVR for late at night etc when they didn't want to bother with it. I figured this would be as easy as hooking up the HDMI output of the VIP622 straight into the TVs HDMI input, but I can't seem to get it to work. Does the VIP622 output component video and HDMI video at the same time or is it only one or the other? Do I need to reset the box, or do something to turn on the HDMI output?

Thanks.

Yes, the 622 outputs HDMI and component at the same time. But there have been issues with the HDMI outputs/connectors going bad and not working so it's possible that is your issue.
post #206 of 650 Old 12-25-2008, 07:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Thanks a lot, I'll have to check that out next time I am there. I assume unplugging the sat receiver and plugging in the HDMI cable to a TV input I know works, then plugging in the sat receiver again would be the best way to test
post #207 of 650 Old 12-25-2008, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerstalker View Post

Thanks.

Since you didn't mention it, did you select the HDMI input on the TV?
post #208 of 650 Old 12-25-2008, 08:54 AM

Quote:

And the biggest downside is you have to watch the same thing on both TVs.

Did you know you can run HDMI to one TV and component to the other and do just what you did, with no HDMI slitter needed?

Yes, I knew that I could run component video to the remote TV, but it is unclear to me whether the component video would be of pristine quality at up to 200 feet away, and then there is the problem of getting 5.1 audio to the remote TV location. Both of these considerations are satisfied by using the HDMI extender.
post #209 of 650 Old 12-25-2008, 02:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SillyConVal View Post

Yes, I knew that I could run component video to the remote TV, but it is unclear to me whether the component video would be of pristine quality at up to 200 feet away, and then there is the problem of getting 5.1 audio to the remote TV location. Both of these considerations are satisfied by using the HDMI extender.

Run HDMI to the remote TV like you have and then component video and optical audio to the near TV.
post #210 of 650 Old 12-25-2008, 04:30 PM

Quote:

Run HDMI to the remote TV like you have and then component video and optical audio to the near TV.

Hmm... That would eliminate the need for an HDMI splitter, wouldn't it. But would the optical connection carry 5.1 audio to my TV1 A/V receiver?
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page