post #211 of 650 Old 12-25-2008, 04:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by SillyConVal View Post

Hmm... That would eliminate the need for an HDMI splitter, wouldn't it. But would the optical connection carry 5.1 audio to my TV1 A/V receiver?

Yep it would. And yep it would.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 650 Old 12-25-2008, 07:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:

Since you didn't mention it, did you select the HDMI input on the TV?

I tried to select it, but it would not go to the input (it is an older Sony XBR SXRD TV one of the ones with the green blob problem which they are in the process of getting fixed). Since it skipped the input I assumed that the HDMI didn't have any signal so it was skipping it. I guess I should have tried on the other HDMI 7 input that I know worked though. I couldn't find any other way to switch the TV inputs other than scrolling through them with the input next button, which skipped over HDMI 6.

Next time I get there I will have to look at it closer.
post #213 of 650 Old 01-03-2009, 10:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Does anyone have a ViP722 or ViP622 connected to a Slingbox? If so, please send me a PM. I'm looking for high-quality screenshots to illustrate the differences between that product and the DTVPal DVR.
post #214 of 650 Old 01-14-2009, 12:22 PM

I currently subscribe to comcast for all HD cable and broadband internet.

I want to get the turboHD package from Dish with the ViP722 DVR.

I cannot get OTA ATSC channels because of my location.

I still want to get internet from comcast. If I get the limited cable package, comcast's pricing scheme basically makes it free.

Also, i'd then get all the locals that dish can't get.

Is it possible for me to demodulate the QAM signals on the comcast limited cable package using a set top box QAM tuner like the Samsung DTB-H260F, then patch that signal to the Antenna-In on the ViP722, thus having my comcast limited cable channels show up in the guide of the ViP722?
post #215 of 650 Old 01-14-2009, 01:30 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexdagrate View Post

I currently subscribe to comcast for all HD cable and broadband internet.

I want to get the turboHD package from Dish with the ViP722 DVR.

I cannot get OTA ATSC channels because of my location.

I still want to get internet from comcast. If I get the limited cable package, comcast's pricing scheme basically makes it free.

Also, i'd then get all the locals that dish can't get.

Is it possible for me to demodulate the QAM signals on the comcast limited cable package using a set top box QAM tuner like the Samsung DTB-H260F, then patch that signal to the Antenna-In on the ViP722, thus having my comcast limited cable channels show up in the guide of the ViP722?

Well, if you can modulate the channels back to ATSC, some channels *might* show up in the guide, but there would be no guide data unless you subscribe to locals. The 722 expects ATSC, so that is definitely a requirement, and I cannot tell if the Samsung box you mentioned does that.

Ted
post #216 of 650 Old 01-14-2009, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncted View Post

Well, if you can modulate the channels back to ATSC, some channels *might* show up in the guide, but there would be no guide data unless you subscribe to locals. The 722 expects ATSC, so that is definitely a requirement, and I cannot tell if the Samsung box you mentioned does that.

Ted

Any idea on any boxes that would modulate back to ATSC?
post #217 of 650 Old 01-16-2009, 08:50 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
I searched this thread and did not find a direct comparison of 622 and 722. I apologize if this has been discussed before:

What is the difference, besides larger hard drive, between the 622 and the 722?

Can the 622 use an external drive (for a onetime fee), thereby neutralizing this difference?

Any other difference, like in upscaling of SD channels?

I am currently using 625 in dual mode. I just bought an HDTV (Samsung HL61A750) and need HD DVR upgrade from Dish. They will give me a 622 for free. 722 costs $125 onetime. Is it worth it?
post #218 of 650 Old 01-16-2009, 08:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alokeprasad View Post

I searched this thread and did not find a direct comparison of 622 and 722. I apologize if this has been discussed before:

What is the difference, besides larger hard drive, between the 622 and the 722?

Can the 622 use an external drive (for a onetime fee), thereby neutralizing this difference?

Any other difference, like in upscaling of SD channels?

I am currently using 625 in dual mode. I just bought an HDTV (Samsung HL61A750) and need HD DVR upgrade from Dish. They will give me a 622 for free. 722 costs $125 onetime. Is it worth it?

The 622 has a smaller hard drive and it is silver. The 722 is black. Other than that, they are functionally the same box. I have one of each. They are both compatible with the external hard drive. If you are using HDMI, some have complained that the 622 has problems, but I had the exact opposite experience, so YMMV.

Ted
post #219 of 650 Old 01-20-2009, 07:38 AM

What audio does this box pass over HDMI? Will it pass the Dolby Digital signal for the HD channels?
post #220 of 650 Old 01-20-2009, 07:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Character_Zero View Post

What audio does this box pass over HDMI? Will it pass the Dolby Digital signal for the HD channels?

Yes....

Bobby 

post #221 of 650 Old 01-20-2009, 08:23 AM

On my Dish 722, I get pixelation on the National Geographic Channel HD every few minutes. By pixelation, I mean a momentary pattern of small opaque squares randomly located on the screen. I am trying to determine whether the problem is in my equipment or in the Dish Network system. I would like to hear back from other Dish 722 subscribers as to whether they also are experiencing this problem, especially on the NatGeo Channel.
post #222 of 650 Old 01-20-2009, 10:38 AM
Advanced Member

I do not get breakup that often. Perhaps once an hour at most. I have seen some compression artifacts on that channel during fast motion. Do you by chance live near an airport? Planes can cause multi-pathing.

Ted
post #223 of 650 Old 01-20-2009, 03:05 PM

Quote:

I do not get breakup that often. Perhaps once an hour at most. I have seen some compression artifacts on that channel during fast motion. Do you by chance live near an airport? Planes can cause multi-pathing.

Ted

Thanks for your reply. No, I don't live near an airport. Most of the pixelation that I get is in high-motion areas, so I presume that the source of the problem could be over-compression by Dish, but I'm trying to determine if the problem is with my equipment/set-up or within the Dish Network system, so please keep the replies coming in. If this is a Dish Network problem, we will all benefit if we can get them to fix it.
post #224 of 650 Old 01-21-2009, 10:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Thanks for your reply. No, I don't live near an airport. Most of the pixelation that I get is in high-motion areas, so I presume that the source of the problem could be over-compression by Dish, but I'm trying to determine if the problem is with my equipment/set-up or within the Dish Network system, so please keep the replies coming in. If this is a Dish Network problem, we will all benefit if we can get them to fix it.

Is NatGeo the only channel you see this on? I also get compression artifacts on MGM, and UniversalHD at times.

Ted
post #225 of 650 Old 01-21-2009, 11:49 AM
AVS Special Member

There are compression artifacts on every channel, just depends on the content and your viewing distance.

But if you are seeing picture break-ups or dropouts, then that is a different issue.
post #226 of 650 Old 01-21-2009, 01:27 PM

Quote:

Is NatGeo the only channel you see this on? I also get compression artifacts on MGM, and UniversalHD at times.

Ted

NatGeo-HD is where I get most of the compression artifacts, but I get a few on some of the other channels, most notably Science Channel-HD. There are some channels such as HDNET where I never have this problem. I can only recall one movie where I had artifacts on MGM-HD, and on that occasion they were severe. In that instance they may have been caused by someone walking in front of the satellite dish which is mounted near ground level.
post #227 of 650 Old 01-21-2009, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by primetimeguy View Post

There are compression artifacts on every channel, just depends on the content and your viewing distance.

But if you are seeing picture break-ups or dropouts, then that is a different issue.

The breakups/dropouts occur only when someone walks in front of the satellite dish. I'm speaking of momentary pixelation, usually in high-motion areas of the screen which are easily noticeable when viewed from any distance from the screen.

If anyone else is having this problem with a 722 DVR, please reply so we can achieve a consensus as to whether this a problem within the Dish Network system.
post #228 of 650 Old 01-21-2009, 02:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The breakups/dropouts occur only when someone walks in front of the satellite dish. I'm speaking of momentary pixelation, usually in high-motion areas of the screen which are easily noticeable when viewed from any distance from the screen.

If anyone else is having this problem with a 722 DVR, please reply so we can achieve a consensus as to whether this a problem within the Dish Network system.

Momemtary pixilation in high motion are is a compression artifact. Could be at the source, or Dish (most likely) or both. Nothing you can do to fix it unfortunately.

But you said can see it at any distance, so you may have something different. Can you post a picture?
post #229 of 650 Old 01-21-2009, 02:52 PM
Advanced Member

Does the 722 have a QAM tuner in it?

If I connect my local cable to it's antenna input, will it be able to tune into unscrambled HD re-broadcasts of my local channels in HD? My TV can. What about the 722?

The local channels are not HD (yet) on Dish
post #230 of 650 Old 01-21-2009, 03:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

If I connect my local cable to it's antenna input, will it be able to tune into unscrambled HD re-broadcasts of my local channels in HD? My TV can. What about the 722?

no QUAM tuner
post #231 of 650 Old 01-21-2009, 03:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:

No, there are no QAM tuners in the 722, or any other satellite boxes for that matter.

Bobby 

post #232 of 650 Old 01-22-2009, 06:41 PM

Quote:

Momemtary pixilation in high motion are is a compression artifact. Could be at the source, or Dish (most likely) or both. Nothing you can do to fix it unfortunately.

But you said can see it at any distance, so you may have something different. Can you post a picture?

No, I can't post a picture because: 1) I would have to snap a picture of the screen with a digital camera and that would be difficult because the pixelation has a duration of only about a half second on average. 2) I do not know how to post a picture to this forum.
Learning how to do the latter without being able to do the former would not get the job done.
However, here is a better description of the pixelation: On a 50" screen the artifacts typically appear as opaque 1" squares of random colors, scattered at random locations, but clustered near high-motion areas. When I say that it can be seen from any distance, I mean it can be seen from any distance that a 1" square can be seen.
post #233 of 650 Old 01-22-2009, 08:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

No, I can't post a picture because: 1) I would have to snap a picture of the screen with a digital camera and that would be difficult because the pixelation has a duration of only about a half second on average. 2) I do not know how to post a picture to this forum.
Learning how to do the latter without being able to do the former would not get the job done.
However, here is a better description of the pixelation: On a 50" screen the artifacts typically appear as opaque 1" squares of random colors, scattered at random locations, but clustered near high-motion areas. When I say that it can be seen from any distance, I mean it can be seen from any distance that a 1" square can be seen.

This sounds like picture breakup/dropout because of low signal.

Earlier you mentioned in only happens when someone walks in front of the satellite dish, which also points to signal dropping out. Where is your dish such that someone is walking in front of it?
post #234 of 650 Old 01-23-2009, 09:20 AM

Quote:

This sounds like picture breakup/dropout because of low signal.

This happens much more on the NatGeo-HD channel than on any other channel, so wouldn't that indicate that it's being transmitted that way by Dish Network? It seems to me that a weak signal would affect all the channels equally.
When someone walks in front of the satellite dish, the whole picture breaks up, I get an error message that part of the program is missing, and the program resumes after they have cleared the satellite dish.
post #235 of 650 Old 01-23-2009, 11:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

This happens much more on the NatGeo-HD channel than on any other channel, so wouldn't that indicate that it's being transmitted that way by Dish Network? It seems to me that a weak signal would affect all the channels equally.
When someone walks in front of the satellite dish, the whole picture breaks up, I get an error message that part of the program is missing, and the program resumes after they have cleared the satellite dish.

Different channels are on different satellites, and each satellite has different transponders. So most likely not all channels are affected.
post #236 of 650 Old 01-23-2009, 12:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Do you know what kind of dish setup you have? That will tell me what satellite you are getting that channel from and whether it is different from mine.

My NatGeo comes from a wing dish off the bird at 61.5°. Many other people get their HD channels from the horrible satellite at 129.0°.

Ted
post #237 of 650 Old 01-23-2009, 05:36 PM

Quote:

Do you know what kind of dish setup you have? That will tell me what satellite you are getting that channel from and whether it is different from mine.

My NatGeo comes from a wing dish off the bird at 61.5°. Many other people get their HD channels from the horrible satellite at 129.0°.

Ted

My system info says that I use satellites 119, 110, & 129. I am not sure what info you are asking about regarding my dish. I can tell you that it is nearly circular, but slightly elliptical and has 3 receiving nubs mounted on the arm at its center of focus.
post #238 of 650 Old 01-23-2009, 05:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

My system info says that I use satellites 119, 110, & 129. I am not sure what info you are asking about regarding my dish. I can tell you that it is nearly circular, but slightly elliptical and has 3 receiving nubs mounted on the arm at its center of focus.

NatGeo HD is on TP30 of the 129 satellite. This sat is one of the most troublesome ones they have in the fleet and has signal strength issues. It is at the end of its life cycle and is in the process of being replaced, hopefully the new sat will arrive in proper orbit and channels will be coming from it within the next month. Hopefully that will help your issues.

For reference, other HD channels on TP30 are

NHLNet, FoodNetwork, HGTV, ESPN2, NFLNet

So check and see if you have issues on those channels, which if it is a signal dropout issue you should.
post #239 of 650 Old 01-24-2009, 04:44 AM
Advanced Member

Is there any way to transfer a recorded show to a Blue Ray disc (if I have a BD writer) or an AVCHD disk on DVR+R media?

Any way to transfer a recorded show to my PC?
post #240 of 650 Old 01-24-2009, 05:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Is there any way to transfer a recorded show to a Blue Ray disc (if I have a BD writer) or an AVCHD disk on DVR+R media?

Any way to transfer a recorded show to my PC?

No, only to an external harddrive plugged into the box. And that caopy is encrypted and not viewable by anything else.
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page