post #241 of 650 Old 01-24-2009, 07:55 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by alokeprasad View Post

Is there any way to transfer a recorded show to a Blue Ray disc (if I have a BD writer) or an AVCHD disk on DVR+R media?

Any way to transfer a recorded show to my PC?

The only way to get content out of a Dish DVR is to hook the output up to a video capture device such as a DVD Recorder or video capture card.

Ted
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #242 of 650 Old 01-24-2009, 07:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by primetimeguy View Post

NatGeo HD is on TP30 of the 129 satellite. This sat is one of the most troublesome ones they have in the fleet and has signal strength issues. It is at the end of its life cycle and is in the process of being replaced, hopefully the new sat will arrive in proper orbit and channels will be coming from it within the next month. Hopefully that will help your issues.

For reference, other HD channels on TP30 are

NHLNet, FoodNetwork, HGTV, ESPN2, NFLNet

So check and see if you have issues on those channels, which if it is a signal dropout issue you should.

Yep. When Ciel-2 takes over at 129, things should get better.

Ted
post #243 of 650 Old 01-24-2009, 09:53 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

NatGeo HD is on TP30 of the 129 satellite. This sat is one of the most troublesome ones they have in the fleet and has signal strength issues. It is at the end of its life cycle and is in the process of being replaced, hopefully the new sat will arrive in proper orbit and channels will be coming from it within the next month. Hopefully that will help your issues.

So check and see if you have issues on those channels, which if it is a signal dropout issue you should.

This sounds like it could alas be the answer to the puzzle. Thanks for the info. I have never looked at those other channels that you mentioned, but I will now and will report back on what I find.
post #244 of 650 Old 01-24-2009, 10:11 AM

Quote:

Is there any way to transfer a recorded show to a Blue Ray disc (if I have a BD writer) or an AVCHD disk on DVR+R media?

Any way to transfer a recorded show to my PC?

According to the posts that I have been reading here at AVS, many have been having good results with the Hauppauge HDPVR-1212. To use this device, you hook up a video component connection and a SPDIF optical audio connection from the 722 DVR to the 1212 and then a USB connection from the 1212 to your computer.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...055232&page=19
http://www.hauppauge.com/site/products/data_hdpvr.html
post #245 of 650 Old 01-24-2009, 11:02 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by SillyConVal View Post

According to the posts that I have been reading here at AVS, many have been having good results with the Hauppauge HDPVR-1212. To use this device, you hook up a video component connection and a SPDIF optical audio connection from the 722 DVR to the 1212 and then a USB connection from the 1212 to your computer.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...055232&page=19
http://www.hauppauge.com/site/products/data_hdpvr.html

So, basically, I have to play back the program on the 722 and capture it again on a video capture device ...

Even Sony's DVD recorder VRD-MC5 should work in that mode.
post #246 of 650 Old 01-24-2009, 11:04 AM
Advanced Member

I want to add my DVD player to the device controlled by the Dish remote. How do I add this?

The installer typically presses some buttons until the device he is adding to the remote (like my TV) turns on/off. What is that magic sequence of keys?
post #247 of 650 Old 01-24-2009, 01:58 PM

Quote:

So, basically, I have to play back the program on the 722 and capture it again on a video capture device ...

Even Sony's DVD recorder VRD-MC5 should work in that mode.

I doubt that your Sony recorder would work directly connected to the 1212. You need to have software running on a PC in order to capture and record the stream coming from the USB port of the 1212. The Hauppauge website discusses all this.
This is not a trivial task. If it were me, I would look at least twice before leaping.
post #248 of 650 Old 01-24-2009, 02:10 PM

Quote:

I want to add my DVD player to the device controlled by the Dish remote. How do I add this?

The installer typically presses some buttons until the device he is adding to the remote (like my TV) turns on/off. What is that magic sequence of keys?

See Section 10, page 75 of the 722 User's Guide: Controlling Other Components.
post #249 of 650 Old 01-26-2009, 06:53 PM
Advanced Member

How can I make sure that the 722 is not upconverting SD channels?

This is advised in http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...3#post15654863

Quote:

"For those of you complaining about SD picture quality.....

Make sure that your source (cable box or sat receiver) is not upconverting the SD signal.

My Motorola HD cable box was upconverting ALL signals to 1080i and they did not look good on my set. I went into the service menu (on the cable box)and locked the SD output resolution to 480i. The TV does a much better job of upconverting than my cable box did. My SD picture quality is much better now."

How can I set the 722 to output HD channels at 1080i and SD channels at 480i?

I have connected the 722 to my Samsung HL61A750 by HDMI 1.3 cable.

Thanks.
post #250 of 650 Old 01-26-2009, 06:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:

How can I make sure that the 722 is not upconverting SD channels?

This is advised in http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...3#post15654863

How can I set the 722 to output HD channels at 1080i and SD channels at 480i?

I have connected the 722 to my Samsung HL61A750 by HDMI 1.3 cable.

Thanks.

You can't. The box only supports selecting one output resolution at a time. So to watch SD without upconverting you need to manually go change the resolution to 480i.
post #251 of 650 Old 01-26-2009, 07:03 PM
Advanced Member

Thanks for the reply. Not what I wanted to hear, but ....
post #252 of 650 Old 01-27-2009, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby94928 View Post

And therefore not an HD signal.....

I'm a newbie to this stuff, so this is a point I just don't get. If the cables coming from the dish to the receiver are coax, why can't a receiver send an HD signal out over coax to a second TV? Is this a technical issue or do they just want to make sure you buy more receivers from them?

It seems to me that if Comcast can send HD over coax, and your own Dish Network signal from the dish to the receiver is on coax, then there is no reason at all why a second TV can't be HD.

Thoughts?
post #253 of 650 Old 01-27-2009, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neiby View Post

I'm a newbie to this stuff, so this is a point I just don't get. If the cables coming from the dish to the receiver are coax, why can't a receiver send an HD signal out over coax to a second TV? Is this a technical issue or do they just want to make sure you buy more receivers from them?

It seems to me that if Comcast can send HD over coax, and your own Dish Network signal from the dish to the receiver is on coax, then there is no reason at all why a second TV can't be HD.

Thoughts?

For one thing your TV can not process the signal that comes directly from the dish. I use the Gefen EXT-HDMI-CAT5 extender to get a HD signal to a second TV. See this link:
http://www.gefen.com/kvm/dproduct.jsp?prod_id=3872
They also have other HDMI extenders. If you decide to buy one, Google the part number. You can probably find Gefen dealers selling the item at a discount.
post #254 of 650 Old 01-27-2009, 10:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neiby View Post

Thoughts?

Comcast is sending the same MPEG2 encoded content its receiver receives over QAM to the TV via ATSC while Dish receivers receive MPEG4 via 8PSK. While it is technically possible to retransmit this signal to the TV, the TV would not be able to decode it. Therefore, it is unnecessary to include a coax out on the Dish receiver.

Ted
post #255 of 650 Old 01-31-2009, 09:57 AM

Quote:

As I have mentioned previously, I am getting numerous compression and/or low-signal artifacts while watching or recording the NatGeo HD channel on my VIP722. But because you mentioned that Dish Network will be replacing the 129 satellite soon, it seems prudent to wait until the results are in as to whether this new satellite at 129° solves the NatGeoHD-artifact problem. So my question is: Where do I go (on the internet) to find out when this new satellite is in place and fully functional?
post #256 of 650 Old 01-31-2009, 10:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SillyConVal View Post

As I have mentioned previously, I am getting numerous compression and/or low-signal artifacts while watching or recording the NatGeo HD channel on my VIP722. But because you mentioned that Dish Network will be replacing the 129 satellite soon, it seems prudent to wait until the results are in as to whether this new satellite at 129° solves the NatGeoHD-artifact problem. So my question is: Where do I go (on the internet) to find out when this new satellite is in place and fully functional?

You can start here

http://www.satelliteguys.us/dish-net...acking-52.html

But it looks like it should be lit up with a week or so.
post #257 of 650 Old 01-31-2009, 03:36 PM
Advanced Member

Will we as customers have to do anything? or will the switch will be transparent to us?
post #258 of 650 Old 01-31-2009, 03:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Will we as customers have to do anything? or will the switch will be transparent to us?

The activation of the new sat at 129° should be transparent to customers except that your signal should get better.

Ted
post #259 of 650 Old 02-02-2009, 05:18 PM

Hi there, I finally picked up an HDMI cable to connect my VIP722 to my TV. Nothing happens. I've switched the TV to the correct Input (HDMI 1) have disconnected and reconnected the cables several times, the component cables are out and I still have a blank screen. I'm wondering if there's something in the menu where I need to switch the output from component to HDMI, but so far I haven't been able to find it. If anyone else knows, please help me out.

Thanks!
post #260 of 650 Old 02-02-2009, 06:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newter View Post

Hi there, I finally picked up an HDMI cable to connect my VIP722 to my TV. Nothing happens. I've switched the TV to the correct Input (HDMI 1) have disconnected and reconnected the cables several times, the component cables are out and I still have a blank screen. I'm wondering if there's something in the menu where I need to switch the output from component to HDMI, but so far I haven't been able to find it. If anyone else knows, please help me out.

Thanks!

Nope, nothing in the menu, it should just work. Do you have another cable to try or have you hooked up other devices to the TV via HDMI to see if they work?
post #261 of 650 Old 02-02-2009, 06:33 PM

That's what I was afraid of. I suppose that means I either have a bad cable or a bad connection on my VIP722 output. I tried both HDMI inputs on the TV. I'll return the cable first, and if that doesn't work I'll have my provider send someone out.

Thanks!
post #262 of 650 Old 02-03-2009, 06:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newter View Post

That's what I was afraid of. I suppose that means I either have a bad cable or a bad connection on my VIP722 output. I tried both HDMI inputs on the TV. I'll return the cable first, and if that doesn't work I'll have my provider send someone out.

Thanks!

The third alternative is that your TV and VIP722 are not compatible. This is the case for my TV. I have heard of other folks with bad HDMI ports on the VIP622, so it stands to reason that the same could happen to the 722.

Ted
post #263 of 650 Old 02-11-2009, 07:07 AM
Advanced Member

Any way to adjust/control the compression levels used by the 722?

I would trade off less recording time for less compression effects (like visible in dark backgrounds on shows like Charlie Rose or Larry King).
post #264 of 650 Old 02-11-2009, 11:34 AM

Quote:

Any way to adjust/control the compression levels used by the 722?

I would trade off less recording time for less compression effects (like visible in dark backgrounds on shows like Charlie Rose or Larry King).

The DVR is most likely just copying the mpeg stream strait to the hard drive without any change in compression. That's how my old cable DVR work and I think most DVR's do the same. So basically the compression is set before the signal even hits your dish.

Perry
post #265 of 650 Old 02-11-2009, 04:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryt View Post

The DVR is most likely just copying the mpeg stream strait to the hard drive without any change in compression. That's how my old cable DVR work and I think most DVR's do the same. So basically the compression is set before the signal even hits your dish.

Correct, this doesn't have the settings like a TiVo did.
post #266 of 650 Old 02-12-2009, 06:09 AM

Quote:

Correct, this doesn't have the settings like a TiVo did.

Makes sense that the TiVo would, since it has to encode the analog video.

Perry
post #267 of 650 Old 02-12-2009, 08:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryt View Post

Makes sense that the TiVo would, since it has to encode the analog video.

I think we should be clear that analog signals on TiVos can be encoded differently, but digital signals on Tivos and DirecTivos just save the already-encoded digital content to disk.

Ted
post #268 of 650 Old 02-15-2009, 03:24 PM
Advanced Member

Any way to change the behavior of the skip forward and skip back buttons (with the curved arrows on them)?

The amount of skip (in seconds) varies with repeated skips in some sort of random increasing manner. Any way to change it to a fixed amount (like 15 sec)?
post #269 of 650 Old 02-16-2009, 06:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Any way to change the behavior of the skip forward and skip back buttons (with the curved arrows on them)?

The amount of skip (in seconds) varies with repeated skips in some sort of random increasing manner. Any way to change it to a fixed amount (like 15 sec)?

Not sure what you mean. Skip forward is 30 seconds and skip back is 10 seconds. I have not seen behavior to suggest it is otherwise.

Ted
post #270 of 650 Old 02-16-2009, 09:33 AM
Advanced Member

I find that if you press skip forward in quick succession, then it skips forward by greater amount in these successive presses of the button. If you wait for some seconds between the pressing of the button, then the skip amount resets to 30 sec.
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page