Unity Motion HDR-1000A Firewire? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 11-11-2001, 12:46 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Does anyone know if the unity motion hdr-1000A with a firewire output work with the panny d-vhs unit? Also what can you receive since unity went belly up in 2000?

A cubicle is just a padded cell without a door.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 11-11-2001, 07:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Yes, the UM with the mod has the fire wire output that will work with the D-VHS panasonic unit.

dave
post #3 of 6 Old 11-11-2001, 12:15 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 16
Isn't Firewire a pure form of digital bit stream with no control code? How would it know what recording device your using. If you have something that records from firewire you should be all set. Or is the output from the UM in to the Pana box encrypted?

Firewire is firewire. I use a PC with a firewire input card. I use this
for archiving my HD material from the hipix card to my camcorder and back to my hard drive. I would think there must be a way to record right to my hard drive using some sort of software program.
post #4 of 6 Old 11-11-2001, 12:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Firewire is firewire in terms of how things are sent back and forth. But what is sent back and forth has to have both devices being able to be talking to each other.

Every human has vocal cords so we can all talk. But when one talks, the other has to be able to understand what was said.
Sound is going but its got to be two way understand or it is just noise.

dave
post #5 of 6 Old 11-11-2001, 12:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Alan,

Surely, firewire is just a connecting medium. But a firewire plug from an Apply iPOD MP3 player will hook up to an IBM PC, but won't be able to do anything after that.

Very much like an IEEE1394 connector in the back of my TWC HD cable box won't do anything with my Panasonic HD D-VHS VCR.

If you can write programs or drivers that can decipher the transmitted digital/binary code streams, then you can have these machines communicate with each other. But you'll have to burn this "code" onto a microchip and solder it onto the motherboard of these devices. Which means we're screwed.

It is the consumer, like us, that has suffered with all these different schemes; ie QAM, 8VSB, etc....

Paul Chiu
Forest Hills, NYC
post #6 of 6 Old 11-11-2001, 10:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 951 Post(s)
Liked: 765
Quote:
Originally posted by Alan Gouger
Firewire is firewire. I use a PC with a firewire input card. I use this for archiving my HD material from the hipix card to my camcorder and back to my hard drive. I would think there must be a way to record right to my hard drive using some sort of software program.
In the digital engineering world, for the past couple of decades at least, when we create new schemes for connecting devices together, we do it in layers. That way, when we're designing a new interconnection, we don't have to start from scratch--we can find something already in use that's close to the characteristics of what we want and use all the layers up to where it diverges from our purposes, and start building new stuff from there. "FireWire" or IEEE1394, is a bottom or "physical" layer--its specs detail the physical characteristics of the various conductors, grounds, insulators and connectors for the different flavors of FireWire, and the electrical scheme for moving basic blocks of data (or "frames") across the wire.

Other soft protocols have been layered on top of FireWire, for different purposes, like plug-and-play device identification to Windows (or any OS that with drivers for that protocol), a protocol all FireWire devices designed to be plugged into PCs can perform: after that protocol has completed and the OS knows what the device is, another set of drivers will come into play which know how to exchange the set of messages specific to the purpose of the device. This would likely be a different set of drivers for a FireWire storage device than for a DV camcorder.

There is an interconnection standard for home A/V networks using 200 Mbps FireWire called IEC 61883, that you can, if you're really, really interested, download a copy of the main portion of at this page for a number of Swiss Francs equal to about $80. The abstract of the main section of this, IEC 61883-1, reads:
Quote:
Specifies a digital interface for consumer electronic audio/video equipment using the IEEE 1394 standard. Describes the general packet format, data flow management and connection management for audiovisual data, and also the general transmission rules for control commands. Defines the transmission protocol for audiovisual data and control commands which provides for the connectability of digital audio and video equipment, using the IEEE 1394 standard.
Layered on to this standard, I believe, was the EIA 775 stuff (see in the list here, which adds some capabilties for specifying displays and overlays on compliant DTVs, among other odds and ends. The DTCP protocol can be layered on, when desired, to attempt to guard copy-protected content.

Any of the new equipment being introduced (by Sony, Mitsubishi and JVC now) with 1394/DTCP connections should be able to speak IEC 61883 and any of the protocols encompassed by EIA-775-A, and, indeed, transfer and display MPEG without any use of DTCP. Such devices could well interact with your PC FireWire card, if your PC had drivers installed for the protocols that they speak. This information at Microsoft's Developer's Network Library would indicate that such drivers exist. Using them, a PC connected to a 1394 A/V network could discover the devices on it, and what they were capable of and create and display a menu for controlling them. It could get any digital video source, like a VCR or PVR, to deliver an MPEG stream to it and display that on the PC's monitor (or do anything else it wanted with it, like copy it over the Internet, hence DTCP). It could get any source's digital audio stream and play it through the PC's speakers. All through a single loop of wire connecting the equipment, one wire into each, one wire out--IMHO (see the picture in my post here), a very cool scheme.

-- Mike Scott

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
Closed Thread HDTV Recorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page