Dish Network 722 question multi-room setup - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 10-15-2007, 03:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I finally took the plunge for dish moving away from comcast after 2 years for cable service. My install appt is tomorrow for a Vip722 HD DVR. My question is how is the 2nd TV going to be hooked up?

The 2nd SD TV is in the bedroom about 75 ft down the hall. Is the install guy going to run a wire through my house just to hook up the 2nd TV?

Obviously the main TV in the living room will be hooked up via HDMI. Do they route the cables through the house or go outside and around?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 10-15-2007, 03:51 PM - Thread Starter

No help at all? Come on guys!?
post #3 of 12 Old 10-15-2007, 04:56 PM

The 2nd TV is hooked up with a cable out of the back of the 722. So if you have a cable running from your main TV to your 2nd TV this would be how it's hooked up. The 2nd TV remote control works great through walls and up to about 200 feet so it all runs from the main 722 box.

My house had cables running from all rooms to a box outside. So we connected the dish with a cable straight into the 722 not using any current wiring. Then for the second TV room we connected the two rooms via the outside box with a male to male connector which basically gave us a cable line from the TV room to the Bedroom without having to rewire anything else. Good luck.
post #4 of 12 Old 10-17-2007, 06:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 17
For my setup, I am not using the 722 in Dual Mode, but my 625 works this way:

The coax output to TV2 is connected to a diplexer along with the satellite input coming from the dish multi-switch. Since all my cabling in my house is run to the same place, the diplexed signal is split back out at this point and fed to TV2 from there. Effectively, what this means is I only need 1 cable run to each TV. It works great so far.

Ted
post #5 of 12 Old 10-18-2007, 04:20 AM

I just got my 722 installed. Love it already and plan on getting the external 750 gig drive turned on soon. The HD is better than the replaced 811. Only 3 ports on the 1000.2 is limiting though. Harder to expand out through the house.
DVR has been performing well but I get sound drops oh every once or twice a day maybe, 1 second maybe. Keeping an ear on it. Diplexing TV2 works good. HDMI cable the gave was a bit cheesy so I ordered a little better one, works with my Sony KDf-50 LCD, (HDMI 1.1) So far I thinks it's one of the best boxes being offered anywhere. Need more HD though. Direct TV looks dominating in this area.
post #6 of 12 Old 10-18-2007, 04:03 PM
Advanced Member

I had to play around with different channels to get the diplexed signal to look good. The default did not work well.

Ted
post #7 of 12 Old 07-25-2008, 10:53 PM

I have a slightly different question about the VIP722. I've been exchanging e-mails with DISH customer service, but I do not believe I'm getting the correct information. Can someone confirm or correct this info?

Here's my main requirement:
Watch live TV on TV#1 on channel #1 (HD), record live TV on TV#1 on channel #2 (HD), and watch live TV on channel #3 (SD). This is three separate live channels at the same time which seems to imply three tuners. Does this require two receivers (i.e. a VIP722 and a VIP211).

The customer rep says I only need one receiver, but I do not trust their answer.

If I need two receivers, do both need to be hooked up to my cable modem (I have no land line)?
post #8 of 12 Old 07-26-2008, 10:19 AM
Advanced Member

You can only do this if you have an OTA antenna feed to your 722. Then you have 3 tuners, so you could watch live TV on two tuners (TV1 and TV2) and record on the third tuner as long as one of the channels you record or watch on is OTA. Other wise you can only watch 2 live programs or watch one and record one or record 2. Interestingly, you can watch 2 recorded programs and record up to 3, so the 722 can do 5 things at once.

With the 722k, coming out soon, you can record 2 OTA and 2 Satellite programs at the same time while watching up to 2 recorded programs, so it can do 6 things at once.

Yes you do need every receiver hooked up to either a land line or the Internet. Alternately, you should be able to use DishCOMM to setup a single call-out receiver. I haven't gotten this to work yet, and it does not work with all receivers.

Ted

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiskull View Post

I have a slightly different question about the VIP722. I've been exchanging e-mails with DISH customer service, but I do not believe I'm getting the correct information. Can someone confirm or correct this info?

Here's my main requirement:
Watch live TV on TV#1 on channel #1 (HD), record live TV on TV#1 on channel #2 (HD), and watch live TV on channel #3 (SD). This is three separate live channels at the same time which seems to imply three tuners. Does this require two receivers (i.e. a VIP722 and a VIP211).

The customer rep says I only need one receiver, but I do not trust their answer.

If I need two receivers, do both need to be hooked up to my cable modem (I have no land line)?

post #9 of 12 Old 07-26-2008, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncted View Post

You can only do this if you have an OTA antenna feed to your 722. Then you have 3 tuners, so you could watch live TV on two tuners (TV1 and TV2) and record on the third tuner as long as one of the channels you record or watch on is OTA. Other wise you can only watch 2 live programs or watch one and record one or record 2. Interestingly, you can watch 2 recorded programs and record up to 3, so the 722 can do 5 things at once.

Ted

Thanks for the info. Now it's time to repose this scenario to customer service and see if I can get a true cost for the service I'm requesting.
post #10 of 12 Old 07-27-2008, 08:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Thanks for the info. Now it's time to repose this scenario to customer service and see if I can get a true cost for the service I'm requesting.

This might be helpful:

https://customersupport.dishnetwork....lddish/land.do
post #11 of 12 Old 07-27-2008, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncted View Post

This might be helpful:

https://customersupport.dishnetwork....lddish/land.do

I originally tried this and it helped to add to the confusion. However, on returning to it, I believe I figured out the secret. To get the proper price for the configuration I need (two TVs with the capability of tuning into three different satellite channels) I need to act like I want three TVs. I guess since the VIP722 has two satellite tuners and it can send one of them to a second TV, the programers set this as the only two TV option.

I received another round of feedback from DISH customer support. The rep insists she understands my needs. She says I only need one receiver since it can record on two channels at once (which is not what I asked about). She sent me the promo highlights for the VIP722 none of which address simultaneously watching two and recording one independent satellite channels.

After this level of support, I'd normally drop DISH as an option, but their latest HD offer is substantially less and offers more than what I currently pay to Timewarner. Next, up is to price the FIOS introductory offer.
post #12 of 12 Old 07-27-2008, 11:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

After this level of support, I'd normally drop DISH as an option, but their latest HD offer is substantially less and offers more than what I currently pay to Timewarner. Next, up is to price the FIOS introductory offer.

Having come from TWC, and knowing what is going on with Navigator, I think I made the right choice with DISH. Fios is not an option where I live. I am not sure how much HD they have these days anyway. D* is another good option, but I do not care for their equipment personally. If you are coming from TWC, D*, Fios, or E* should all represent an improvement IMHO.

Ted
Reply HDTV Recorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page