converting HDTV to SVCD/VCD/DivX - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 11-13-2001, 10:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ok, first of all, I apologize if this has been brought up and discussed before, but after hours (!) of searching through this gigantic board, I wasn't able to find anything specific answering my questions... So here it goes.....

Is it possible to take the raw transport stream from any of the HD tuner cards and then reencode it to another format? I always thought that due to the great difference of the transport stream file created by the these tuner cards (maybe one of them is easier tow ork with?), it's not as easy as choosing it as the input in an encoder (such as tmpgenc or virtualdub), choosing the right setting and hitting start. However, I read posts here talking about converting to mpeg4 (which can also be referred as divx, right?) at true 1920x1080 resolutions. If you are any familiar with the iSO scene(s) (look at isonews.com for a start), DivX is a format used to "share" or "release" as we say pre-store DVD movies to the online community. In a nutshell, you take the VOBs from teh DVD, convert them to divx and get a very good quality (if encoded properly, of course) AVI file just at the 700mb mark. Anyway, I don't see why the same technique can be sued to "share" HDTV broadcasts across the net. Since analog TV broadcasts are noway near "divx quality" (vcd is usually used to share those, with resolutions of 352x240), HDTV is the perfect source. So has anyone experminted with converting HDTV transport streams (or other hdtv recordings) to any of these formats with quality results (if someone can send me a small sample, it would be appreciated)? ANother way I can think of is using the sdtv (480i) output of an hdtv settop box or the inexpansive Hauppauge WinTV-D, which features an SVideo connector (i presume quality will be comparable to svideo output from a dvd player). Basically, I don't need the huge resolution hdtv offers, i need sharp noise-free dvd-quality (yes, the lower reolution doesn't bother me at all) TV with divx/svcd archiving capabilities. I cannot afford expensive plasma screens and projectors that take advantage of hdtv resolutions. DVD quality is good enough for me :)

On another note, are there any software only HDTV cards on the marker (and where?) I read thesw would be under $150 and rely on software to decode the hdtv signal. I've seen the software (such as elecard's) but noa ctual hardware for sale... What kind of recording capabilities do software hdtv cards offer?

Thanx in advance for your help, any help is appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 11-14-2001, 12:43 AM
PVR

Discussions about this have been in the HTPC forum...

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...threadid=33355

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...threadid=89150

Basically you can do what you ask but you need a whole bunch of different utilities to process the data.

Broadcast HDTV is MPEG2 encoded video wrapped in an ATSC packet delivery format.
post #3 of 3 Old 11-14-2001, 12:45 AM
PVR

There are some HDTV capture cards that
depend on software playback on the market
overseas but for some reason the only products
being bought in the USA have the hardware
HDTV decoding onboard.
Closed Thread HDTV Recorders