DirecTV HD DVR - HR20/HR21/HR22/HR23 Master Topic - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #271 of 5970 Old 11-23-2007, 11:41 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Called D* to change programming since I'm not getting the locals in HD. CSR tells me that my equipment needs to be upgraded (have HD10-250 x2, a Sony SAT DVR and a non-DVR receiver). They will install HR21s to replace the HD10s at no cost and take my old stuff. Upgrading the other boxes to HR21s would be $99 each. He also said there is a small black box connected to the back of each HR21. I assume this is a SWM5 or SWM8. He also said that I do not need a new dish (currently have a quad LNB). Questions: Should I be getting a new dish? Is it feasible to get them to throw in something? Is the SWB a good thing if I already have two runs of RG6 everywhere?

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 5970 Old 11-23-2007, 12:05 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 10
The small box is a B band converter. There is no 4LNB dish. You'll probably need to go from a 3LNB dish to a 5LNB dish as the Ka/Ku band dish will be needed. Both have 4 outputs. See the dish types at http://www.solidsignal.com/satellite...enna_types.asp

Pat

While I may link to and mention products as examples, I don't recommend specific products.
post #273 of 5970 Old 11-23-2007, 12:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywolf View Post

The small box is a B band converter. There is no 4LNB dish. You'll probably need to go from a 3LNB dish to a 5LNB dish as the Ka/Ku band dish will be needed. Both have 4 outputs. See the dish types at http://www.solidsignal.com/satellite...enna_types.asp

"What" you've said, and I'd "bet" the $99 was for H21 [non recorder].
"Most" of the time they haven't wanted the older boxes back.

A.K.A. VOS
post #274 of 5970 Old 11-23-2007, 12:37 PM

Liked: 11
I do have a 3LNB dish. Thanks for clarifying. I will need a 5LNB to get MPEG4 correct?

Will they just let me keep the old equipment?
post #275 of 5970 Old 11-23-2007, 12:47 PM

This topic may have been covered somewhere in the dozens (hundreds?) of pages on the HR20/21, but I just haven't read them all to find out, sorry.

I have an HR20 delivered last December, and I love it most of the time, but now there is a 100-120 second delay everytime I go to playback any recorded show. The screen goes a muddy brown, audio stops, and it stays that way for almost 2 minutes before the show starts up. At that point, everything works normally.

I can "fix" this by rebooting the entire system and waiting the 30 minutes it takes to go through its setup routine, including signal capture, etc. At this point, the HR20 works normally for a couple of weeks at most, then reverts back to the 2-minute delay before playback.

Is this a known/common problem, or something that only my loyal friends at D* can fix? Or can they fix it?

thanks
post #276 of 5970 Old 11-23-2007, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scchang View Post

Called D* to change programming since I'm not getting the locals in HD. CSR tells me that my equipment needs to be upgraded (have HD10-250 x2, a Sony SAT DVR and a non-DVR receiver). They will install HR21s to replace the HD10s at no cost and take my old stuff. Upgrading the other boxes to HR21s would be $99 each. He also said there is a small black box connected to the back of each HR21. I assume this is a SWM5 or SWM8. He also said that I do not need a new dish (currently have a quad LNB). Questions: Should I be getting a new dish? Is it feasible to get them to throw in something? Is the SWB a good thing if I already have two runs of RG6 everywhere?

Thanks in advance!

Hey scchang - You should call back and speak with a customer retention dept. CSR. If you have 2 DVRs currently, they should replace both of them for free. I had a HR10 and an old Toshiba receiver that they replaced with HR21 and H21, with new dish, etc. free, except for $19.95 handling fee. I have been with DTV for 3 years. They give me the same $99 HR21 and free H21 deal but after speaking with the retention, I got both of them for free. I was also able to keep my HR10 and I moved it to the den. Good luck!

Allan
post #277 of 5970 Old 11-23-2007, 04:34 PM

The D* installer installed my HR20....... and left the old receiver here. What do I do with it? Can I take it back to Best Buy and get my $ back?
post #278 of 5970 Old 11-23-2007, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allanshu View Post

Hey scchang - You should call back and speak with a customer retention dept. CSR. If you have 2 DVRs currently, they should replace both of them for free. I had a HR10 and an old Toshiba receiver that they replaced with HR21 and H21, with new dish, etc. free, except for $19.95 handling fee. I have been with DTV for 3 years. They give me the same $99 HR21 and free H21 deal but after speaking with the retention, I got both of them for free. I was also able to keep my HR10 and I moved it to the den. Good luck!

Allan

allanshu,

Do you have the number for the retention department? Last time I called they said they got rid of the department.

All,

Any one else received their new HD DVR receivers free with a new dish? What are the best deals you've seen. I currently have 4 Tivo units and 2 our HD Tivos. I'd like to upgrade atleast one unit for the new channels.

Thanks
post #279 of 5970 Old 11-23-2007, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amurto View Post

allanshu,

Do you have the number for the retention department? Last time I called they said they got rid of the department.

All,

Any one else received their new HD DVR receivers free with a new dish? What are the best deals you've seen. I currently have 4 Tivo units and 2 our HD Tivos. I'd like to upgrade atleast one unit for the new channels.

Thanks

I just asked the CSR to transfer the call. As was covered elsewhere, be nice and call back later. My research, as well as my personal experience was that if you have a HR10 (or any HD DVR) they will give you a HR20/21 for free. In your case, you should get 2 HR 20/21 free with installation, etc. You may have to pay the handling fees. And tell them you want to keep your old ones since you paid for them already. Good luck!

Allan
post #280 of 5970 Old 11-24-2007, 07:11 PM

I am unable to dim or turn off the blue light on my hr21. Pushing the left and right arrows does nothing. I've had it for about 2 weeks and it has never worked. Any help?
Thanks
post #281 of 5970 Old 11-24-2007, 07:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by firedoc View Post

I am unable to dim or turn off the blue light on my hr21. Pushing the left and right arrows does nothing. I've had it for about 2 weeks and it has never worked. Any help?
Thanks

If it's like the HR20-100s, the blue ring has 4 light levels: bright, dimmer, dimmer, dimmer and off(from bright - it's 4 pushes of both rt & lt arrows to reach off).

"HDTV makes today a great time to be alive"
post #282 of 5970 Old 11-24-2007, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firedoc View Post

Thanks

Mine won't work either. Has not worked since I got the H21 installed. I put that problem on the back burner as I have bigger horses to beat:

Every movie I watch on MGM-HD has a problem. While watching the recorded, "Unforgiven" today, there were 2 times where the video and audio went black for 2 seconds each. This has happened on just about every MGMHD film I have watched, live....or recorded. If no "blackout", there are always a few audio "hiccups" and stutters. HDNetMovies has also had the same problems. I've watched over 10 movies between the two channels since early last week, and only one has been problem free. And still no help from D*. And like I said in a previous post, in the 2 years prior to this past "upgrade", I NEVER saw/heard any problem with any program, unless it was a thunderstorm causing it. I wonder if it's "live with it or leave"? I think thats the stance of D* right now.
post #283 of 5970 Old 11-25-2007, 09:05 AM

D* give me a free (I was told I was "Grandfathered" into the free deal) upgrade to the HR21 from the HR10 two weeks ago. So far I like it. I just upgraded my AV receiver to a Sony STR-DG910 (needed 3 HDMI inputs to switch into my HDTV).

I've tried all the remote codes D* recommended for this AV device but can't get any of them to work on the RC64 remote. Does anyone have any suggestions for a code that works with this Sony receiver?

On the eternal quest to find one remote that works with all my toys.

No man leaves before his time - unless the boss leaves early.

Groucho Marx
post #284 of 5970 Old 11-25-2007, 11:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Hutchinson View Post

Anybody know if the remote control codes are the same for the various boxes?

I am getting a 5LNB dish and a HD DVR of some sort tomorrow and I would like to set up my Harmony 890 remote to work with the DVR but, of course, don't know the model number yet.

Both the HR20-100 and HR20-700 have interchangeable remotes so I know the harmony will work fine - I am pretty sure they don't even distinguish on their setup menu between the two HR20's - I am fairly certain the HR21 is also the same, but don't have one, so someone else can clarify that. I think Directv is trying to get all their receivers to work with one remote, so I think you should be safe just telling it you have an HR20.
post #285 of 5970 Old 11-25-2007, 12:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gutwrencher View Post

Mine won't work either. Has not worked since I got the H21 installed. I put that problem on the back burner as I have bigger horses to beat:

Every movie I watch on MGM-HD has a problem. While watching the recorded, "Unforgiven" today, there were 2 times where the video and audio went black for 2 seconds each. This has happened on just about every MGMHD film I have watched, live....or recorded. If no "blackout", there are always a few audio "hiccups" and stutters. HDNetMovies has also had the same problems. I've watched over 10 movies between the two channels since early last week, and only one has been problem free. And still no help from D*. And like I said in a previous post, in the 2 years prior to this past "upgrade", I NEVER saw/heard any problem with any program, unless it was a thunderstorm causing it. I wonder if it's "live with it or leave"? I think thats the stance of D* right now.

This may be dumb and painful but:
Have you tried to reformat your disk?
If not it might be worth a shot.
Reboot and hold the down arrow and record buttons [both at once] on the front panel, for about ten sec. The record light should light and after it's done it will finish rebooting. Now all series links, setting [well most of these] and recording will be gone, but the drive will be as "clean" as can be.
There is another option: go into the setup menu and reset/reset everything.
This clears everything [back to out of the box] but keeps the software.
This will flush out everything [chips too] and erase the disk. I follow this with a reformat since I've already lost everything and have read posting where the reset hasn't fixed all of the problems but a reformat has afterwords. I guess erase and reformat aren't the same, so I do both.
I've had good luck with some very bad acting DVRs by doing this. FWIW

A.K.A. VOS
post #286 of 5970 Old 11-25-2007, 12:24 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked: 327
Quote:

If no "blackout", there are always a few audio "hiccups" and stutters. HDNetMovies has also had the same problems.

Haven't really watched anything on MGM, but I did record "Redacted" on HDNet and had a few instances of audio stuttering but since I only DVR'ed it on the DirecTV DVR and not on my Dish DVR as well I couldn't compare to see if it was the transmission or the DVR.

I've also had black screens on NBC/Uni channels, but I believe that to be an NBC/Uni issue has I've had it on my Comcast feed as well.
post #287 of 5970 Old 11-25-2007, 12:28 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by veryoldschool View Post

This may be dumb and painful but:
Have you tried to reformat your disk?
If not it might be worth a shot.
Reboot and hold the down arrow and record buttons [both at once] on the front panel, for about ten sec. The record light should light and after it's done it will finish rebooting. Now all series links, setting [well most of these] and recording will be gone, but the drive will be as "clean" as can be.
There is another option: go into the setup menu and reset/reset everything.
This clears everything [back to out of the box] but keeps the software.
This will flush out everything [chips too] and erase the disk. I follow this with a reformat since I've already lost everything and have read posting where the reset hasn't fixed all of the problems but a reformat has afterwords. I guess erase and reformat aren't the same, so I do both.
I've had good luck with some very bad acting DVRs by doing this. FWIW

Would attaching an external drive for increased storage result in the same procedure occurring? I've been trying to clear my recordings so I can add a 1-TB drive and your post got me thinking as I've had some of the same sort of glitches/anomalies as gutwrencher on occasion.
post #288 of 5970 Old 11-25-2007, 01:25 PM

Thanks, keenan and vos. I have "cleaned" up the drive so we will see. I just caught a little "stutter" while watching "live" movie so that may not have fixed the problem. Thanks for the advice, though. I learned something new that I may be able to use at some point.

I'm going to watch "Oliver" tonight on MGM-HD. Thats at about 2.5 hours and will make another decent test-run. I'll record it as well. I'll post results later on tonight. I have been watching ESPN-HD and CNN-HD today with no noticable problems. So far, and I could be wrong, it seems to happen the most on those 2 HD movie channels. Not sure why. Maybe it's because I really pay attention to movies, but sometimes get a little distracted during other programming.

BTW:

I posted some info that someone asked for over at the D* tech forums, and I thought I'd paste that info here, as I don't understand some of it. I was asked to check signal strength on transponders and this is what I saw:

Sat 101 (32 total)
1-8....95 95 95 0 92 100 94 94
9-16...94 95 95 76 94 100 95 100
17-24..93 0 95 65 94 100 92 100
25-32..90 0 95 65 94 100 90 100

Sat 110 (3 total-8,10 and 12))
1-8...N/A------------------>last # is 92
9-16..N/A 86 N/A 88 N/A--------->
17-24..N/A----------------------------->
25-32...N/A----------------------------->

Sat 119 (11 total)
1-8....N/A--------------------------->
9-16...N/A--------------------------->
17-24...N/A....................95 0 91
25-32...89 95 95 95 0 95 100 95

Sat 99(b) (6 total)
1-8....45 34 51 0 43 0
9-16...N/A---------------------------->
17-24...N/A--------------------------->
25-32...N/A...........................>

Sat 103(a) (16 total)
1-8....0 0 0 0 0 0 N/A N/A
9-16...N/A................0 0
17-24...96 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
25-32...N/A------------------------->

Sat 103(b) (16 total)
1-8...92 94 92 93 87 90 91 92
9-16...86 89 91 92 87 91 N/A N/A
17-24...96 N/A.......95 N/A N/A
25-32....N/A.......................>

Why are there so many "not availables"? I also noticed that on 99(b), the signals strength is VERY low. What sats contain MGM or HDNetMovies? Sorry guys, I'm trying to learn what all this means and get better educated.
post #289 of 5970 Old 11-25-2007, 01:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Why are there so many "not availables"? I also noticed that on 99(b), the signals strength is VERY low. What sats contain MGM or HDNetMovies? Sorry guys, I'm trying to learn what all this means and get better educated.

"N/A" means while there are frequencies for them, currently they aren't being used.
99 is currently spot beams as is 103a, so if you get your local HD channels, only one of those transponders need to be good/great, and you seem to have one. Everything else is pointed to somewhere else.
HDnet comes off 110 [I think] while MGM is off 103b.
Your levels look good.
I've been watching MGM a fair amount in the past couple of days, and while I haven't had any video problems, I think I have seen [well heard] some audio drop outs.
I'm not sure, but sometimes I think an airplane blocks the signal as it flies through either the uplink to the SAT, or the downlink to me.

A.K.A. VOS
post #290 of 5970 Old 11-25-2007, 01:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan View Post

Would attaching an external drive for increased storage result in the same procedure occurring? I've been trying to clear my recordings so I can add a 1-TB drive and your post got me thinking as I've had some of the same sort of glitches/anomalies as gutwrencher on occasion.

The eSATA replaces the internal so other than that, everything is the same. When you connect it, the HR will reformatt the eSATA to be able to use it.

A.K.A. VOS
post #291 of 5970 Old 11-25-2007, 01:54 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

The eSATA replaces the internal so other than that, everything is the same. When you connect it, the HR will reformatt the eSATA to be able to use it.

So, if there are issues with the internal drive they will not affect the external drive. That makes sense, I was more interested if the procedure you outlined would be something one might want to do when adding an external drive. IOW, does it it also "clear" any ROM chip settings, that sort of thing.

I guess that bottom line is that it wouldn't hurt just to do it anyway when installing the external.
post #292 of 5970 Old 11-25-2007, 01:55 PM

Quote:

Your levels look good.

Ok, thanks.

Quote:
I'm not sure, but sometimes I think an airplane blocks the signal as it flies through either the uplink to the SAT, or the downlink to me.

Seems to make sense, but I don't think flight paths have changed a whole lot over the last few years. Since it just started happening with the new dish and reciever install, the problem, to me at least, lies somewhere between the dish and me.
post #293 of 5970 Old 11-25-2007, 02:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan View Post

So, if there are issues with the internal drive they will not affect the external drive. That makes sense, I was more interested if the procedure you outlined would be something one might want to do when adding an external drive. IOW, does it it also "clear" any ROM chip settings, that sort of thing.

I guess that bottom line is that it wouldn't hurt just to do it anyway when installing the external.

The only way to clear the chips, is the "reset everything" option [which wipes out the drive too].
As I posted: when you add an eSATA drive it will format on boot up.
Front panel reformat does just that to the drive. The reset everything does something slightly different; clears the chips and erases the drive. Now what the difference is between a reformat and an erase could be "nothing" or that the files are erased but the system files are not replaced [reformat].

A.K.A. VOS
post #294 of 5970 Old 11-25-2007, 02:53 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

The only way to clear the chips, is the "reset everything" option [which wipes out the drive too].
As I posted: when you add an eSATA drive it will format on boot up.
Front panel reformat does just that to the drive. The reset everything does something slightly different; clears the chips and erases the drive. Now what the difference is between a reformat and an erase could be "nothing" or that the files are erased but the system files are not replaced [reformat].

Okay, thanks, I think I'll do the reset when I add the drive, couldn't hurt, and I'll know I'm starting with an essentially "clean" piece of equipment.
post #295 of 5970 Old 11-25-2007, 06:36 PM

Quote:

I'm going to watch "Oliver" tonight on MGM-HD. Thats at about 2.5 hours and will make another decent test-run.

Well, I could only make it 30min in because sitting through a musical with stuttering, dropping audio is UN-ACCEPTABLE. What is the problem?

HDNetMovies and MGM-HD seem to be the worst. I don't think it's happening on Smithsonian, or ESPN or The Weather Channel....or anywhere else. I don't know anymore....I'm exhausted. There are only so many hours in the day to viddey TV. I hope they don't beat me down.

Calling D* tomorrow. I just wish I did not have to wade through person after person, # after #, and day after day. There is no way they have the ability to correct this wrong in one visit.

I have to be realistic and nip it in the bud so I can save what would be wasted days otherwise. I'll give them 2 shots at fixing it. If not, I just want my money back and I'll move on. I suppose E* does not have Smith, MGM, CNN and others in HD. Would just be my luck.
post #296 of 5970 Old 11-25-2007, 09:05 PM

Here a few more observations. I can't believe I did not notice this the previous veiwings:

While watching the recorded, "The Thing With Two Heads", on MGM-HD just now, There was a "blackout" of both video and audio at the :55 min mark, during a helicoptor scene. EXCEPT....what I noticed this time was that when the screen goes black, the MGM-HD bug/logo is STILL in the bottom right hand corner. So I went back and checked "Unforgiven", also recorded off MGM-HD and where the two blackouts happen, the logo is there as well.

What does THAT mean?

Now, sometimes it appears to happen at a scene change. Does that mean anything?

MGM-HD also has the audio dropouts and stutter.....but it is the only channel, so far, that has 2 second blackouts. HDNetMovies on the other hand, has multiple stutter points but no blackouts.

Any ideas before I call D* tomorrow?

I'm not really sure if any other channels have problems. The only other channel I've watched in long stretches is A&E-HD for the "CSI: Miami" marathon. No problems at all there.

I'm now watching the recorded "Explorer" and "Prison Nation" on NGC-HD. I'll post results later. I wonder how Universal-HD is with movies?
post #297 of 5970 Old 11-25-2007, 10:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Here a few more observations. I can't believe I did not notice this the previous veiwings:

While watching the recorded, "The Thing With Two Heads", on MGM-HD just now, There was a "blackout" of both video and audio at the :55 min mark, during a helicoptor scene. EXCEPT....what I noticed this time was that when the screen goes black, the MGM-HD bug/logo is STILL in the bottom right hand corner. So I went back and checked "Unforgiven", also recorded off MGM-HD and where the two blackouts happen, the logo is there as well.

What does THAT mean?

It means there is nothing wrong on your end.
MGM-HD is a new channel and is having some teething problems [on their end].

A.K.A. VOS
post #298 of 5970 Old 11-26-2007, 07:25 AM

Quote:

It means there is nothing wrong on your end.
MGM-HD is a new channel and is having some teething problems [on their end].

OK, for now, I'll lay off MGM-HD, although when more notice it....I'll feel better.

As for HDNetMovies, they have been around long enough not to be providing stuttering audio. I was told that D* should have run NEW cables when they installed the new dish and reciever. They did not. I think I'll make them do this.
post #299 of 5970 Old 11-26-2007, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carltonrice View Post

So, last Sunday, I got the 5 LNB dish upgrade and hooked up my BBCs to my 1 year old HR20. But, it seems that the "new" HD channels are sometimey. Some of them I got, and some I didn't. The ones that don't come in give a "771 Searching for Satellite 1" code. The installer didn't seem to know why and suggested I call DirecTV. When I called, they had me reset the receiver and after the reset, more of the new HD channels started coming in. In fact, all except two of them. Later in the week, even those two came in, so I cancelled a service call. Now, I find that very few of the new HD channels are coming in tonight. Anybody else had this issue. I wonder if it's one of the BBCs is bad, so only one of the tuners is working making it sporadic. Or, is it that one of the coax cables coming down from the dish has the combiner/splitter for my roof antenna in the circuit?

Any suggestions before I call DirecTV again?

Had same issue, ended up being a bad B-Band converter, had a short in it, worked part of the time (when it felt like it). Installer only replaced when I pretty much demanded it as a last ditch effort to fix. He was totally boggled when it worked and said he had never seen a b-band converter work part of the time. Everything is good now though!

Viro
post #300 of 5970 Old 11-26-2007, 08:16 AM

Does anyone have info. or pricing on the HR21-700 Pro? I saw it was to go into production in October.

Viro
Closed Thread HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page