Originally Posted by mike greer
Good evening all,
Do I have a lemon HR22 or is does everyone have these troubles?
1 - Audio on the HD channels is out of sync more often than in sync.
2 - Misses some recordings with no explanation. Just says 'Canceled'.
3 - When recording a series it doesn't always have the red 'R' to indicate it will be recorded. If you try to hit record it wants to cancel the series.
4 - The RF remote has too short of a range - have to hold it just right to get it to work. I can't use my Slingbox because the POS HR22 won't work with the RF remote and the IR remote at the same time. Who decided that was a good idea!!??
5 - The thing is slow to respond. Not as slow as my old HD DirecTivo but annoyingly slow!
6 - Audio by way of HDMI doesn't always work. Have to turn Dolby Digital output on and off a few times before it will kick in.
7 - Did I mention the thing is painfully slow?
I just switched back to DirecTV from dish a month ago and I'm really missing the Dish 622 receiver. The speed of the 622 leave the HR22 in the dust. The audio was in sync most of the time with Dish Network. The RF remote had a much longer range than on the HR22 and with the 622 you could use both RF and IR at the same time!
What have I done? I played around with one at best buy for a few and it was also slow to respond.
Am I the only one with these problems?
1) Audio is rarely out of sync for me. The couple of times it has been, resetting the unit cured it. It does seem to get bogged down a bit once in a while, so that may be related to sync issues.
2) A few things can cause this:
- You have a tuner conflict at the time of the recording. Even if the overlap is only a minute, it will fail to record the entire second show. Be careful when padding your series records. Remember, this unit WILL NOT provide any warning outside of showing a red X in the "To Do" list. If you know you have a heavy night of recording coming up, check the To Do list for conflicts.
- Sometimes the guide data changes. It may have been incomplete before and once it fills in, the episode is no longer a match for the recording settings you are using (such as new episodes only).
- The show may have been pre-empted by the network.
3) It can take a day or so for later listings to filter into your to-do list. If it's not coming up soon, be patient and let it come in on its own. It spooked me at first, too, but I've never had it not eventually pick up stuff. It also sometimes takes a day or so for changes to series records to be reflected in the To Do list.
4) My RF remote works fine - even from another room. Now, the IR setting sucks - the receiver eye is way too undersensative. Perhaps something in your area is causing RF interference.
5) Mine does get sluggish every so often. I just hit the reset button and let it restart and that fixes it for a while.
6) I've never had that issue. My TV and receiver (taking the output from the TV) always picks it up immediately. I actually used to have more trouble with my UltimateTV - sometimes the little beeps and bongs within the menus wouldn't trigger the receiver. Maybe try another cable. I actually switched to the cable that came with the unit after one I bought was having video handshaking issues - no trouble since.
7) There are ways you can speed things up, at least in the menus. Turn off the scrolling effects will help. Also, if some of the slowness is related to channel changes, you can have the unit do the scaling instead of your TV.