post #3001 of 5970 Old 10-12-2008, 11:51 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoRn View Post

They told me I cannot get the locals in HD even with a external antenna. DTV does not support the local HD channels at all right now. They did tell me we have them in digital. I was told 2 things. 1. The local channels in HD Fox, NBC etc will be here for sure in Feb 09 during the all digital transition. 2.

Without an AM21, you can't get OTA channels. But unless there are no channels in your local area in HD, hooking an AM21 to your hardware will give them to you, as well as any other local channels. February 2009 transition is to all digital, NOT all HD. And D* channels have ALWAYS been all digital.

Xbox 360: Deezul AwT
HDTV since 2004, 3D since 2011
Go Jackets!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3002 of 5970 Old 10-12-2008, 12:12 PM
AVS Special Member

So are you saying with the AM21 being added. I can pick up the local hd channels even though there is none in our area? Or is the AM21 only good for if you can actually get local hd channels in the area? Sorry for not fully understanding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezul View Post

Without an AM21, you can't get OTA channels. But unless there are no channels in your local area in HD, hooking an AM21 to your hardware will give them to you, as well as any other local channels. February 2009 transition is to all digital, NOT all HD. And D* channels have ALWAYS been all digital.

post #3003 of 5970 Old 10-12-2008, 01:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoRn View Post

Thanks guys for the responses. I just called DTV right now. Put me on hold for about 5 mins. Very nice people and apologized several times for not being told about this when ordering new service. They told me I cannot get the locals in HD even with a external antenna. DTV does not support the local HD channels at all right now. They did tell me we have them in digital. I was told 2 things. 1. The local channels in HD Fox, NBC etc will be here for sure in Feb 09 during the all digital transition. 2. They told me it could arrive sooner and to keep my fingers crossed. Does this information sound correct? Also when clicking the link to check for local HD stations available. This came up in red.

*****HD Local Channels: High-definition (HD) local channels from DIRECTV are not available in your area at this time.*****

Go here to see what you can get with an antenna: http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29

The new HD DVRs don't come with an OTA tuner(s), but there is an add-on OTA tuner [AM-21] that plugs in.
I would count on this more than what the CSR(s) will say [know] about when DirecTV will be carrying your local HD.

A.K.A. VOS
post #3004 of 5970 Old 10-12-2008, 02:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

KoRN,
You should be able to get these digital channels OTA with an antenna:

KOBI-DT 5-1 NBC-HD
KDRV-DT 12-1 ABC-HD
KSYS-DT 8-1 PBS-HD

So, you need the AM21 if you want to record these channels with your DVR. Without the AM21, you'll have to watch them through your TV's built in tuner and you won't be able to record them.

Check your private messages for more info, as this is really off-topic in this thread.
post #3005 of 5970 Old 10-13-2008, 06:21 PM
kat

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by arxaw View Post

KoRN,
You should be able to get these digital channels OTA with an antenna:

KOBI-DT 5-1 NBC-HD
KDRV-DT 12-1 ABC-HD
KSYS-DT 8-1 PBS-HD

So, you need the AM21 if you want to record these channels with your DVR. Without the AM21, you'll have to watch them through your TV's built in tuner and you won't be able to record them.

Check your private messages for more info, as this is really off-topic in this thread.

If he gets the AM21, is he guaranteed to get the program guide data from D* for DVR scheduling of his local HD channels?
post #3006 of 5970 Old 10-13-2008, 06:26 PM
rad
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by kat View Post

If he gets the AM21, is he guaranteed to get the program guide data from D* for DVR scheduling of his local HD channels?

If the HR21/22 and the AM21 both know about the ATSC station (since the boxes don't scan but count on a database from Tribune) then the guide data will be there for the ATSC stations to allow for DVR scheduling.
post #3007 of 5970 Old 10-14-2008, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rad View Post

If the HR21/22 and the AM21 both know about the ATSC station (since the boxes don't scan but count on a database from Tribune) then the guide data will be there for the ATSC stations to allow for DVR scheduling.

Use caution however. I have one network (PBS) that the guide data does not match the program being broadcast for my OTA. Ironically, the DirecTV PBS feed data matches my OTA broadcast. Please note that the DirecTV feed is not the same channel as the OTA I am referring to.
post #3008 of 5970 Old 10-14-2008, 05:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDFinder View Post

Use caution however. I have one network (PBS) that the guide data does not match the program being broadcast for my OTA. Ironically, the DirecTV PBS feed data matches my OTA broadcast. Please note that the DirecTV feed is not the same channel as the OTA I am referring to.

PBS digital doesn't always match PBS SD [or analog].

A.K.A. VOS
post #3009 of 5970 Old 10-14-2008, 06:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Good evening all,

Do I have a lemon HR22 or is does everyone have these troubles?

1 - Audio on the HD channels is out of sync more often than in sync.
2 - Misses some recordings with no explanation. Just says 'Canceled'.
3 - When recording a series it doesn't always have the red 'R' to indicate it will be recorded. If you try to hit record it wants to cancel the series.
4 - The RF remote has too short of a range - have to hold it just right to get it to work. I can't use my Slingbox because the POS HR22 won't work with the RF remote and the IR remote at the same time. Who decided that was a good idea!!??
5 - The thing is slow to respond. Not as slow as my old HD DirecTivo but annoyingly slow!
6 - Audio by way of HDMI doesn't always work. Have to turn Dolby Digital output on and off a few times before it will kick in.
7 - Did I mention the thing is painfully slow?

I just switched back to DirecTV from dish a month ago and I'm really missing the Dish 622 receiver. The speed of the 622 leave the HR22 in the dust. The audio was in sync most of the time with Dish Network. The RF remote had a much longer range than on the HR22 and with the 622 you could use both RF and IR at the same time!

What have I done? I played around with one at best buy for a few and it was also slow to respond.

Am I the only one with these problems?

Thanks!
post #3010 of 5970 Old 10-15-2008, 02:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike greer View Post

Good evening all,

3 - When recording a series it doesn't always have the red 'R' to indicate it will be recorded. If you try to hit record it wants to cancel the series.
4 - The RF remote has too short of a range - have to hold it just right to get it to work. I can't use my Slingbox because the POS HR22 won't work with the RF remote and the IR remote at the same time. Who decided that was a good idea!!??
5 - The thing is slow to respond. Not as slow as my old HD DirecTivo but annoyingly slow!
6 - Audio by way of HDMI doesn't always work. Have to turn Dolby Digital output on and off a few times before it will kick in.

I just switched back to DirecTV from dish a month ago and I'm really missing the Dish 622 receiver. The speed of the 622 leave the HR22 in the dust. The audio was in sync most of the time with Dish Network. The RF remote had a much longer range than on the HR22 and with the 622 you could use both RF and IR at the same time!

What have I done? I played around with one at best buy for a few and it was also slow to respond.

Thanks!

These are my observations.

1. Audio is occasionally out of sync for local stations but unusual for the others. For me it is mostly my local NBC station and the others are usually fine.

2. Have not missed recordings, but have seen how I could. I like the record series feature but it will record all those shows on that channel. So soething like discovery, which repeats shows a lot, that show will be recorded every time it shows up. If it is high on the priority list, and two shows are being recorded, and it shows up, it will bump the third show.

3. I have noticed the missing r and the cancel also.

4. It is not the remote but the receiver. With my harmony, I have to point it at the receiver while I can point it into the ceiling for just about everything else it controls.

5. Yes, it is slow, but supposedly can be made faster if you change the format options. I like it to display the native resolution, so it goes through a dance to get there.

6. I have not seen a HDMI audio problem.

7. Yes it is slow.

All that said, I love it compared to Comcast.
post #3011 of 5970 Old 10-15-2008, 10:37 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
All, I have a very basic question, very basic in fact, given all the discussion here:

Do you enjoy your HR21/22? Are you glad you have it?

I'm jumping back to Directv as soon as our new house is built (sometime in December) and will be getting at least one HR22 for my wife, and maybe a 2nd for a separate TV.

Do you find yourself enjoying it more than not?

Thanks.
post #3012 of 5970 Old 10-15-2008, 10:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeKlim View Post

All, I have a very basic question, very basic in fact, given all the discussion here:

I'm jumping back to Directv as soon as our new house is built (sometime in December) and will be getting at least one HR22 for my wife, and maybe a 2nd for a separate TV.

Thanks.

Yes x 3.

It's not perfect, but it works well for me.
post #3013 of 5970 Old 10-15-2008, 11:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeKlim View Post

Thanks.

two HR20s, one HR21, & 1 H21 here and everything has worked fine since back in the dark days before Mar '07.
Are there bad installations & boxes out there?
Sure, but once you've weeded out either of these, the system gives me more HD than any other option I can get.

A.K.A. VOS
post #3014 of 5970 Old 10-15-2008, 11:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
two HR20s... They work well for me. Could be better, have snags, but the most HD stations, and for the most part they get the job done. I'm glad I have them instead of my cable DVRs.
post #3015 of 5970 Old 10-15-2008, 01:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Even with the troubles I am having listed above it still beats the motorola junk that I had with Comcast. NO QUESTION!

As far as day to day use goes it is ok but in my opinion Dish Network's 622 beats the pants off my HR22.

The biggest annoyances are it is slow compared to the 622 but faster than the Comcast crap. The thing I can't understand is why they can't make the RF and IR function at the same time. It is very annoying that I can't use my Slingbox because I can't control the box using IR.

The other screw-ball things I guess I can get over....
post #3016 of 5970 Old 10-15-2008, 01:22 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 310
I've experienced all of the above at one time or the other. The sluggishness seems like the box has a memory leak or something, or doesn't clear cached data properly, a re-boot seems to speed things back up again.

Agree on the Dish 622, far better in usability and speed, the 622 smokes, when you press a button, it happens right now, no delay at all.

(still waiting for the new D* TiVo )
post #3017 of 5970 Old 10-16-2008, 09:23 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 367
Quote:

Good evening all,

Thanks!

1) Audio is rarely out of sync for me. The couple of times it has been, resetting the unit cured it. It does seem to get bogged down a bit once in a while, so that may be related to sync issues.

2) A few things can cause this:

- You have a tuner conflict at the time of the recording. Even if the overlap is only a minute, it will fail to record the entire second show. Be careful when padding your series records. Remember, this unit WILL NOT provide any warning outside of showing a red X in the "To Do" list. If you know you have a heavy night of recording coming up, check the To Do list for conflicts.

- Sometimes the guide data changes. It may have been incomplete before and once it fills in, the episode is no longer a match for the recording settings you are using (such as new episodes only).

- The show may have been pre-empted by the network.

3) It can take a day or so for later listings to filter into your to-do list. If it's not coming up soon, be patient and let it come in on its own. It spooked me at first, too, but I've never had it not eventually pick up stuff. It also sometimes takes a day or so for changes to series records to be reflected in the To Do list.

4) My RF remote works fine - even from another room. Now, the IR setting sucks - the receiver eye is way too undersensative. Perhaps something in your area is causing RF interference.

5) Mine does get sluggish every so often. I just hit the reset button and let it restart and that fixes it for a while.

6) I've never had that issue. My TV and receiver (taking the output from the TV) always picks it up immediately. I actually used to have more trouble with my UltimateTV - sometimes the little beeps and bongs within the menus wouldn't trigger the receiver. Maybe try another cable. I actually switched to the cable that came with the unit after one I bought was having video handshaking issues - no trouble since.

7) There are ways you can speed things up, at least in the menus. Turn off the scrolling effects will help. Also, if some of the slowness is related to channel changes, you can have the unit do the scaling instead of your TV.
post #3018 of 5970 Old 10-16-2008, 10:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks NetworkTV,

1 - For me the audio sync problem comes up pretty often. Most of the time on local channels. I'd blame the local channel but I didn't have the problem with Dish Network - at least not as much...
2 - I haven't been padding anything and I don't even get the red X. It has happened maybe 3 times in the last month so I don't think guide changes for prime-time shows have happened. If the show is pre-empted you'd think it would just record what they put in its place - it wouldn't know it was recording the wrong show.
3 - It has been weeks since I setup most of the shows to record and still many of them don't have the 'R' in the guide indicating the show will be recorded.
4 - My RF remote works fine in the same room - just doesn't work upstairs - where the remote for my 622 worked just fine.
5 - I guess I'll just have to keep doing resets...
6 - Not sure on this one but it is a total pain to get the audio to work much of the time. Again the 622 didn't have any trouble using the same setup including the same HDMI cable.
7 - I turned off the scrolling but just going into the setup is slow. Changing channels is slower the 622 but doesn't bother me like accidently hitting a button multiple times because it is so slow to react just about everywhere.

I'll give it another week or so and then I'll call DirecTV. From the postings here it doesn't sound like replacing the receiver is going to help...

Thanks again.
post #3019 of 5970 Old 10-16-2008, 10:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan View Post

I've experienced all of the above at one time or the other. The sluggishness seems like the box has a memory leak or something, or doesn't clear cached data properly, a re-boot seems to speed things back up again.

Agree on the Dish 622, far better in usability and speed, the 622 smokes, when you press a button, it happens right now, no delay at all.

(still waiting for the new D* TiVo )

Thanks! Doesn't sound good. I hope I can stand this thing long enough to get to the new DirecTivo!
post #3020 of 5970 Old 10-16-2008, 11:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks! Doesn't sound good. I hope I can stand this thing long enough to get to the new DirecTivo!

It'll be at least a year for the Tivo to show up [keenan & I have an on-going bet as to whether it will be better or not, so he always needs to put a "zinger" in about it to me].

I don't have a 622 to compare so I've stayed out until now, but "most" of your problems aren't "normal".
Recording icons should show up within "awhile". If the DVR has been reset, the guide data is limited and you can need to wait a day or two for the full 10 day info to work correctly.
When mine "bogs down" it doesn't last that long and seems to be related to processes [housekeeping] going on in the background.
I rarely reset my receivers [I do it once a week for testing new software] for problems.
Audio sync hasn't been an issue either.

Sadly, receivers don't seem to have very much "testing" before they're boxed up.
You've got 90 days to get it [replaced] or your system serviced for free. It may never work the same as the 622, but it sounds [to me] like it should be working better than it is [I know all of mine are].

A.K.A. VOS
post #3021 of 5970 Old 10-16-2008, 05:23 PM

Liked: 11
Hi All, just got me a HR22 for free from DTV. I got an email to upgrade my HR10, which i moved to the bedroom. So far I like it. Havent had any problems yet. One thing that i am having is when i change the sort options in my Playlist to A-Z, it doesnt stick. It always goes back to default. Am i missing something?
post #3022 of 5970 Old 10-16-2008, 05:32 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigroot View Post

Hi All, just got me a HR22 for free from DTV. I got an email to upgrade my HR10, which i moved to the bedroom. So far I like it. Havent had any problems yet. One thing that i am having is when i change the sort options in my Playlist to A-Z, it doesnt stick. It always goes back to default. Am i missing something?

You have to change it with a keyword search, stupid, I know...I don't remember the word though, someone here will post it soon enough.
post #3023 of 5970 Old 10-16-2008, 05:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You have to change it with a keyword search, stupid, I know...I don't remember the word though, someone here will post it soon enough.

Do you still need to do IAMANEDGECUTTER? [I think not]
Doesn't the yellow button bring that up [sort by, jump to, etc.] when you're in the playlist?

A.K.A. VOS
post #3024 of 5970 Old 10-16-2008, 05:47 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by veryoldschool View Post

Do you still need to do IAMANEDGECUTTER? [I think not]
Doesn't the yellow button bring that up [sort by, jump to, etc.] when you're in the playlist?

So you don't have to use that word to change the default anymore? Just use the yellow button to select a sort method and it will stay that way?
post #3025 of 5970 Old 10-16-2008, 06:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So you don't have to use that word to change the default anymore? Just use the yellow button to select a sort method and it will stay that way?

Most everything that was under that keyword menu, has moved into "mainstream", but then I haven't run "mainstream" in so long "I forget".
30sec skip/slip is still needed to change. A "poke in the eye" [pokeeyenow] for advanced network services, but no longer do you need IWANTMYVOD.

I'm sure you would use the IWANTTIVO [don't try j/k]

A.K.A. VOS
post #3026 of 5970 Old 10-16-2008, 06:07 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by veryoldschool View Post

Most everything that was under that keyword menu, has moved into "mainstream", but then I haven't run "mainstream" in so long "I forget".
30sec skip/slip is still needed to change. A "poke in the eye" [pokeeyenow] for advanced network services, but no longer do you need IWANTMYVOD.

I'm sure you would use the IWANTTIVO [don't try j/k]

Wouldn't that be sweet, a secret keyword to enable the TiVo UI.
post #3027 of 5970 Old 10-17-2008, 04:29 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 367
Quote:

Wouldn't that be sweet, a secret keyword to enable the TiVo UI.

I'd be afraid I'd accidently activate it, and suddenly the TiVo guy would be dancing on my screen without warning.

Ugliest friggin' mascot ever...
post #3028 of 5970 Old 10-17-2008, 10:45 AM

I currently have an HD-DVR - HR20-700 in Silver. I recently mounted my LCD and have the components nearby. All the components and the LCD as well are black. I called DTV and asked if I could swap out my silver HR20 for a black one so everything matches. I was told that the only way to do this is to go to a BB or CC and buy one there. The CSR told me that when they place orders that they randomly go to different warehouses and they cannot control whether a black or silver unit is shipped. Essentially I was SOL.

Has anyone else had this experience or could offer a recommendation?

Thanks!
post #3029 of 5970 Old 10-17-2008, 10:53 AM
rad
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whofan70 View Post

I currently have an HD-DVR - HR20-700 in Silver. I recently mounted my LCD and have the components nearby. All the components and the LCD as well are black. I called DTV and asked if I could swap out my silver HR20 for a black one so everything matches. I was told that the only way to do this is to go to a BB or CC and buy one there. The CSR told me that when they place orders that they randomly go to different warehouses and they cannot control whether a black or silver unit is shipped. Essentially I was SOL.

Has anyone else had this experience or could offer a recommendation?

Thanks!

Basically that's true, they don't have the ability to specify a specfic type/model of a box on the system. But chances are that you'd get a HR21/HR21 since they don't make HR20's anymore. But then again it could be a refurb'ed HR20 so the only way to make 100% sure is to go buy one at BB or CC type store IMHO.
post #3030 of 5970 Old 10-17-2008, 11:33 AM

Hi, quick question about the HR21 HDTV receiver, with an attempt to correct a "botched" firmware upgrade, the unit is re-initialized (reset and then 02468); the unit begins download and then at 100% download message, the unit just hangs there???? Any ideas?

Thanks for your time.
Closed Thread HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page