"Uma:" Unity Motion STB + Firewire Ports for HD Recording from C/Ku Satellite - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 11-17-2001, 11:29 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I am now unmasking myself as the first to purchase the Uma mod to my UM STB.

Credit for bringing this remarkable product to market goes to H20Fun-Dave for his unceasing blowing on the long thought nonsmoldering coals of 169Time.
And most remarkably to Richard Adams who has endured floods, famine, and endless speculative character assasination to now finally be bringing to market the very technology without which the transition to HDTV could very well fail (okay, maybe not famine).

The Uma appears identical to that pictured at the new website:Two firewire ports on the back are all that give it away.
Suffice to say it works as advertised. Perfect firewire port enabled HD recordings with 5.1 Dolby Digital sound. Playback either via the UM STB or more conveniently the TU-DST5x STB.
Also plays back via the Japanese domestic version of the JVC 30000 without difficulty.
I have not been able to record on the JVC using the Uma, but was also told ahead of time that this was not yet supported.

What can be recorded from satellite?
I would refer those interested to the Delphi Unity Motion Forum for details.

So to all of you holding back I say, "Come on in, the water is fine."

Yes, I am aware as are all of you of the history of the 169Time saga.
And yes, I was one of those who "invested" in the technology way back when. I just kept my mouth shut (at least in public) because I believed in Richard Adams and his technical prowess.

Go back in the archives and read his posts and look at his track record. Singlehandedly, Richard forced (via an ingeniously crafted letter to the FCC) the Sinclair owned Sacramento CBS affiliate to broadcast in HD long before the 8vsb/COFDM modulation debate had been settled at a time when all of the other Sinclair affiliates were refusing to "transition." He was fixing up and reselling the old UM HD Monitors and STBs as far back as November 1999. He helped many a forum member with difficult problems that befuddled the less technically inclined among us.

So what the hell happened at 169Time? I don't know and I don't care as long as those who invested in the technology are finally made whole.
This ain't a large company or venture capital financed undertaking. The Uma and DTC100 mods were developed without the support of the major players.

But whether the consumer electronic and entertainment software companies realize it or not, the entire HD transition could fail at the marketplace without the technology Richard is now offering.

Uma, Uma, Uma...now they've got me doing it!

"Dammit Jim, I'm a doctor not an engineer."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2001, 07:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Todd, now there are two of us up and working with this GREAT
product.. By the way, thanks for the nice words for Richard and I.
Richard is the brightest guy I have ever met on this stuff. If he had had some major funding, these and other products could have been shipped a long time ago. Atleast we are moving forward now. The whole key to future products will be the HD community now supporting him and letting the past go. The way to help support future development is to purchase the product.
No more it will ship in two weeks. No more if you order early you get a discount. These are gone. When he has the product ready, he ships!! Futures, please, we only have today. What he wants to do in the future all depends on keeping him afloat.

So if people want to see future stuff, please, please we need to rally and support him NOW! The was to do this is to purchase the UM. Its not perfect. Its doesnt have all the features Richard would like to put in it. But he needs to get some cash. The other is for people to take his offer to upgrade free all DV DTC100 orders to D-VHS with free install. He needs help of people stopping the push to get their money back. Its real, works and can be shipped now!!!

So bottom line, we are at a cross roads. This guy is all by himself.
He has the mind, not the money.

dave
Old 11-18-2001, 07:41 AM
AVS Special Member

I forgot, here is the link to the first pass UM user guide.

http://www.169time.com/uma_user_r11.html

dave
Old 11-19-2001, 11:23 AM
rrg
Advanced Member

I ordered this as well last week, and my UM receiver is enroute to GVT. I've accepted the 169Time/GVT offer to receive the UM mod in place of the DTC-100 mod for which I paid.

If this works as advertised, I expect to be very pleased. The UM mod is more valuable to me at the moment than the DTC-100 mod since the latter is currently OTA-only, and I can already record OTA using the Panasonic STB.

That said, if my elation remains high, I may consider re-ordering the DTC-100 mod anyway, even in its current OTA-only form, once we have a reliable report or two from an end-user on its performance. If nothing else it should prove a more versatile playback engine than either the TU-DST50 or the UM (automatic detection of PIDs on playback, and robust digital audio delivery), plus its 8VSB tuner is superior to the Panasonic's so OTA recording will be more reliable.

But deciding to buy the DTC-100 mod will be a no-brainer if the ability to record DBS HD signals is ever made available.

I'll report more when I've received the unit back and have had a chance to play with it a little.

Ron Gomes
Old 11-19-2001, 02:55 PM
LJG
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 16
can the unity motion recieve DSS via directv dish or do you need a seperate dish?

LJG
Old 11-19-2001, 10:37 PM
Advanced Member

Has anyone with this tried to record to a PC equiped with a Firewire capture card??? This would allow capture of HD from DirecTv!!
-=-
Mark

-=-
Mark Hoy - HomeTheater Addict
Old 11-20-2001, 01:01 AM
PVR

No it would not - the Unity Motion receiver
does not receive DirecTV signals.

It uses a bigger dish that you have to aim
at various different satellites.
Old 11-21-2001, 05:05 PM
Advanced Member

Any mods on Samsung SIR-T150 yet? I'm planning on getting a OTA HD receiver soon.

Justin
Old 11-21-2001, 05:41 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

169Time has reorganized and is now shipping past orders for OTA recording DTC100s.
I believe they are now or by next week will be accepting new orders.
They are able to modify DTC100s/PS105s only at this time.

Further info at their website: www.169time.com.

Old 11-21-2001, 05:49 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

169Time has reorganized and is now shipping past orders for OTA recording DTC100s.
I believe they are now or by next week will be accepting new orders.
They are able to modify DTC100s/PS105s only at this time.

Further info at their website: www.169time.com.

Old 12-07-2001, 07:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Wondering how folks experience has been with the UM?

dave
Old 12-07-2001, 09:28 PM

tmitchmd,

It was mentioned that the UMA might have problems recording ABC and NBC, does it work?

Bob H.
Old 12-08-2001, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by ROBERT HUNZEKER
tmitchmd,

It was mentioned that the UMA might have problems recording ABC and NBC, does it work?

Bob H.

I haven't been able to record NBC-HD [although I'd like to time-shift Jay Leno.]

For ABC-HD, some I can, some I can't.

Don't know if the problem is with the UM-UMA or with the Panasonic PV-HD1000 VCR.
Old 12-08-2001, 11:56 AM

Jimg,

So if I get PBS OTA the UMA is not going to do much for me, right? I am waiting on my DTC mod and have been wondering if I should get the UMA as well, but if PBS is the only station that is available I will pass and put my antenna back up.

Bob H.
Old 12-10-2001, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by ROBERT HUNZEKER
Jimg,

So if I get PBS OTA the UMA is not going to do much for me, right?
Bob H.
Good question... for me my PBS OTA has limited hours (7-9pm weekdays, 2-9pm weekends), so the UM-UMA helps alot.

I have been able to do some ABC programming but not all. [Not too much of a problem for me because the west coast feed often provides a time-shift I need for the rare programs I want to see.] Note: We still don't know if its an issue with the UM-UMA or with the PV-HD1000. (Or the UM-UMA can be revised to "correct" like it does for the DTC-100's audio problems.)

NBC-HD is settling in on a new satellite. At first we weren't able to get the audio, now we can. Haven't been able to record it yet. Again, mostly a time-shifting issue here -- its mostly "talking heads" which record well on SD. The Olympics, however, will be a different story.
Again don't know if its the UM-UMA or the PV-HD1000. So keep checking this thread.

There is also occasional HD specials...
Last year, there was a chance the Tournament of Roses parade was going to be uplinked in HD. [Hopefully this year it will.]

I'm also interested in any NASA HD content.