Mits HS-HD2000U HD D-VHS VCR - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 11-18-2001, 10:00 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Local newspaper (SJMN, pg. 21A, good guys) ad today as a companion to the Mits "NetCommand" series of HDRP's with integrated HD tuners.

The ad goes on to state that the D-VHS VCR records true HD of terrestrial signals. Taking a look at the Mits spec page here http://www.mitsubishitv.com/PDFs/dvcrspecs.pdf it seems to send info via 1394 ports. Can this be usede with anything besides a Mits TV? I would love to attach one to a DTC100 & Toshiba 57HX81 RP yet I doubt it's possible to do so.

Curtis
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 11-18-2001, 12:16 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Curtis,
I don't know if the 169 modified DTC100s are talking YET to the Mitsubishi, but I am sure that is in the cards.

"Dammit Jim, I'm a doctor not an engineer."
post #3 of 8 Old 11-18-2001, 01:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 472
Upon consideration, I've decided to delete the previous content of this post, since it quoted information from web-pages that could be potentially harmful to the businesses involved. Of course, they really need to remove the statements from their web-site themselves, but I've done my part. :)

If you saw the post, you know what I'm talking about. If not, just as well. ;)

-- Mike Scott

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
post #4 of 8 Old 11-18-2001, 05:23 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Mike,

The JVC, Hitachi, and RCA DVHS VCRs referenced above were not HD recording capable under any circumstances as they did not support the HS speed.

No one is claiming interoperability with any DVHS except the PV-HD1000.
Undoubtedly however, compatibility with current DVHS products would be desirable.

The Unity Motion STB is C/Ku satellite capable (BUDs) and has no utility for reception of proprietary DBS signals like DISH or DirecTV.

"Dammit Jim, I'm a doctor not an engineer."
post #5 of 8 Old 11-19-2001, 06:54 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks for the input gents. I'm still somewhat confused however. From the marketing coming out of Mitsubishi, this appears to be a brand new model, at least in the US market.

The good guys ad claims it is the ONLY consumer device available that will record OTA HD. My only ? is; can I interface this to any STB?
post #6 of 8 Old 11-19-2001, 10:19 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Curtis
Thanks for the input gents. I'm still somewhat confused however. From the marketing coming out of Mitsubishi, this appears to be a brand new model, at least in the US market.

The good guys ad claims it is the ONLY consumer device available that will record OTA HD. My only ? is; can I interface this to any STB?
That advertisement is misleading. JVC has its HM-DH30000U on the market--in fact, it probably shipped first. It has all the capability of the Mitsubishi unit, plus considerably more: it has the capability to translate DV video from camcorders into D-VHS format, and the ability to convert NTSC from its internal tuner or analog inputs into digital form and store tens of hours of that onto tape. It also has analog HD component video outputs, and if you have a tape with HD content, it can play it back through them.

However, what both products lack is any internal HD tuner. The Mitsubishi can only accept an HD video stream through its 1394 connections and playback HD tapes through them--it cannot convert the MPEG to analog form for playback at all. Likewise, the JVC can only record HD that comes from a 1394 source; it can, however, as I mentioned before, play them back through HD component video outputs. Since its 1394 connections incorporate DTCP copy-protection, if any content has copy-protections applied, by agreement it must reduce the image-detail on analog output to one-quarter 1080i's (i.e., a maximum of 540x960 pixels)--this is called a "constrained image". Note that, also by agreement, only subscription movie channels, pay-per-view and prerecorded media may be copy-protected. (Pay-per-view and prerecorded stuff would be protected such that they could not be recorded). So, all OTA television and rebroadcasts thereof on cable and DBS could not be copy-protected at all, and basic cable/DBS programming with commercial interruptions could not be image-constrained.

But you'd still need a FireWire HD video source to use either of these recorders. These are in extremely short supply--a few cable STBs that haven't been very widely deployed and the ATSC tuners in the two-out-of-five Mitsubishi 2002 Integrated models to ship so far are pretty much it for the moment. Echostar has promised to include these on DISH Network boxes shipping sometime in mid-to-late 2002.

-- Mike Scott

post #7 of 8 Old 11-19-2001, 01:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Just got back from the local Good Guys where I tried my Gladiator tape to see how it looked on the new 65" firewire Mits.

Picture was great but I could not say the same for the audio. I noticed that on regular OTA from KOMO that the audio had a strange tinny sound. On Gladiator the right channel picked up the same note after a couple of minutes. When I stopped and restarted the tape is was fine. So who knows what causes that. Gridleak probably does.

The Video was nice and when prerecorded HD tapes are available HD VCR will be a hot item.

RJW
post #8 of 8 Old 11-19-2001, 06:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally posted by michaeltscott
That advertisement is misleading. JVC has its HM-DH30000U on the market--in fact, it probably shipped first. It has all the capability of the Mitsubishi unit, plus considerably more...
I should mention that the JVC, while being more capable, also lists for twice as much as the Mitsubishi, and should "street" for roughly the same price ratio, which, if true, would mean that you'd be able to get it for around $600 shortly (it lists for $1000 and the JVC lists for $2000--at this writing, you can get the JVC for $1129 here).

-- Mike Scott

Closed Thread HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page