PV-HD1000 Replacement Firewire Cable??? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 11-22-2001, 06:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Can anyone recommend a good replacement cable for the standard Firewire cable that comes with the PV-HD1000?

I think the 50 lb ferrite cores on each end of this thing are weakening the jack they're seated in (even though I've hung it on the little rear hook on the unit).

They also never feel really securely plugged in.

Is there some reason why this cable has these MASSIVE cores on them? Can I replace it with a standard IEEE 1394 Firewire cable and have it function just fine?

Lemme know....Thanks,

Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 11-23-2001, 09:13 AM

Liked: 10
I have no problem with the "generic" 4pin-4pin firewire cables. (And even with them I've taken strain relief measures. A simple "twistie" works fine.)

Do a search on this forum as others have recommended suppliers. Expect to pay $20-$25.

----

If you use a hub, make sure it meets the faster 1394 "A" spec.
post #3 of 3 Old 11-24-2001, 08:13 AM

Liked: 10
The heafty ferrite cores are the only way to reduce Emmisions of teh unite while in operation. Many manufacturers in order to meet FCC Class B requirement for consumer electronics implement ferrite cores (the cheapest way) to "pass" testing. If they where to remove cores IEEE1394 port would emmit badly (causing additional interference to other devices, like TVs) and PV-HD1000 will only comply to FCC Class A rules. Manufacturers strive to comply with FCC Class B rules in order to get better exceptance in the consumer market. FYI, Scandinavian markets have the most "tight" regulations in the World for consumer electronics. PC monitors manufactured in Japan bare one type of classification and are shipped to US. If monitor is bound to Norway or Sweeden it will undergo specific modification (internal magnetic buttons, board-level design changes etc) in order to meet more fierce Emissions/Immunity specs. You can use 4-4 Firewire virtually from any manufacturer but your unit will not comply to FCC Class B spec with it anymore. You may or may not experience any "unwanted" interference to other electronic/radio devices in your household. The quality of playback/recording of TU-DST5* and PV-HD1000 with any other cable will not be affected.

Andrey
(ex-systems engineer)
Closed Thread HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page