Is it possible to rip recorded video off Directv HD DVR? - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 75 Old 11-21-2011, 03:20 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello All!

I'm fairly new to 3DTV and I was wondering if I could archive my recorded 3D shows from my DirecTV HR22-700 HD-DVR by capturing them using a Gefen HDMI Detective to spoof DirecTV's EDID check, allowing the 3D output via HDMI into my Blackmagic Intensity Pro for capture in SBS 3D format.

I have a Sony XBR 52LX900 which I normally have my DirecTV receiver connected directly to for 3D viewing. I understand that I first have to program the Gefen Detective Plus with my Sony TV's EDID in order to fool the DirecTV receiver into enabling the output of a 3D signal for capturing via HDMI on my Intensity Pro capture card.

I obviously will be disconnecting my Sony 3DTV while doing the capture, but will be using the Blackmagic Express software installed in my Windows 7 to do the monitoring and SBS 3D capture.

Can someone actually confirm this as a workable solution for archiving my 3D shows from my DirecTV HD-DVR.

Thanks to all who reply!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 75 Old 12-18-2011, 09:40 PM

1. You folks need to stop thinking about DRM, Encryption, etc. etc.

These things are in the past....

"Rules are made to be broken" (If Politicians can do it, so can we).

If your too busy looking into the BOX, you can't see what's OUTSIDE the Box.
Ever hear of "Think outside the Box" ? Let me explain....

First of all, whatever you can see on your screen ie: TV, Computer, Laptop, you can record. Sometimes, for free !

Let's start with the DVR/TV scenario ! NEVER buy a Video capture card from the U.S.A. There are limits, controls and other things in the card it's self that keeps you from doing what you wanna do. I would go into the Micro-Electronics involved, but, that's another topic.

If you have an HDMI, Composite, Coaxial, RCA cable output on your DVR.... Etc. Buy or search rather for HDMI Capture card FIRST ! NO American sold products. Buy Korean, or Chinese, Japanese. Anywhere there is NO Region or Limit of any kind. I would give you websites but... I'm not doing all the work here.

Get a three way for your output, HDMI, Composite, etc. etc. This way you can see what it is your recording WHILE you're recording. Very Important.

Once the video is on your Computer, There are literally hundreds of programs to EDIT out commercials, etc. etc. Nero, AVS, Corel, HandBrake, etc. etc.

After this is completed your free to put on DVD.

If you want an easier method, There are several DVD recorders for the TV. Panasonic makes a decent one. Stay away from Sony products since they own most of the Movie studios and their products suck. :-)

The DVR boxes that come with Direct TV and other Satellite companies are in Linux format. You'd need a Linux machine with High knowledge of the inner workings of Linux just to rip the stuff from the Hard Drive from said boxes.
Why Linux? Well, if it was in Mac or Windows format, they'd have to pay royalties to those said companies where as Linux is Open-Source. Which means FREE ! Smart if you think about it.

I tried this, it took me two weeks just reading blogs, forums, emails from others who have done it and I managed to get it completed. The quality was not as good as I had hoped but, I did it none the less. There are easier ways....

Capture cards for your computer/Laptop.

Boy, there are hundreds, ALL claiming to do everything, BUT none ever do.

It's like buying a new car, then the next year a newer car comes out and it has 100 NEW things added to it.

For example, I purchased (After searching and researching) 100's of models of media Players. I found ONE, Reads everything, does everything. They've had one issue with streaming that was resolved with an update. However I never use the streaming... It was really cool that their Fast response to customers complaints got answered so quickly ! I bought two more since then, updated them, and put them away in case an unforeseen electrical surge or theft.

I know what you're thinking, Use a Surge Protector. I'd like to see a surge protector stop a lightning bolt that has up to 1200kA running through it.

Back to my point... Research ! Research ! Research !
post #33 of 75 Old 01-08-2012, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiberopme View Post

1. You folks need to stop thinking about DRM, Encryption, etc. etc.

These things are in the past....

"Rules are made to be broken" (If Politicians can do it, so can we).

If your too busy looking into the BOX, you can't see what's OUTSIDE the Box.
Ever hear of "Think outside the Box" ? Let me explain....

First of all, whatever you can see on your screen ie: TV, Computer, Laptop, you can record. Sometimes, for free !

Let's start with the DVR/TV scenario ! NEVER buy a Video capture card from the U.S.A. There are limits, controls and other things in the card it's self that keeps you from doing what you wanna do. I would go into the Micro-Electronics involved, but, that's another topic.

If you have an HDMI, Composite, Coaxial, RCA cable output on your DVR.... Etc. Buy or search rather for HDMI Capture card FIRST ! NO American sold products. Buy Korean, or Chinese, Japanese. Anywhere there is NO Region or Limit of any kind. I would give you websites but... I'm not doing all the work here.

Get a three way for your output, HDMI, Composite, etc. etc. This way you can see what it is your recording WHILE you're recording. Very Important.

Once the video is on your Computer, There are literally hundreds of programs to EDIT out commercials, etc. etc. Nero, AVS, Corel, HandBrake, etc. etc.

After this is completed your free to put on DVD.

If you want an easier method, There are several DVD recorders for the TV. Panasonic makes a decent one. Stay away from Sony products since they own most of the Movie studios and their products suck. :-)

The DVR boxes that come with Direct TV and other Satellite companies are in Linux format. You'd need a Linux machine with High knowledge of the inner workings of Linux just to rip the stuff from the Hard Drive from said boxes.
Why Linux? Well, if it was in Mac or Windows format, they'd have to pay royalties to those said companies where as Linux is Open-Source. Which means FREE ! Smart if you think about it.

I tried this, it took me two weeks just reading blogs, forums, emails from others who have done it and I managed to get it completed. The quality was not as good as I had hoped but, I did it none the less. There are easier ways....

Capture cards for your computer/Laptop.

Boy, there are hundreds, ALL claiming to do everything, BUT none ever do.

It's like buying a new car, then the next year a newer car comes out and it has 100 NEW things added to it.

For example, I purchased (After searching and researching) 100's of models of media Players. I found ONE, Reads everything, does everything. They've had one issue with streaming that was resolved with an update. However I never use the streaming... It was really cool that their Fast response to customers complaints got answered so quickly ! I bought two more since then, updated them, and put them away in case an unforeseen electrical surge or theft.

I know what you're thinking, Use a Surge Protector. I'd like to see a surge protector stop a lightning bolt that has up to 1200kA running through it.

Back to my point... Research ! Research ! Research !

You wouldn't happen to want to share which capture card you went with, would you?
post #34 of 75 Old 01-08-2012, 03:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
^ my impression is that their goal was to use the maximum number of words, while communicating very little.
post #35 of 75 Old 01-08-2012, 10:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Yes, you can record to your PC in HD and burn HD (limited to 13.5 MB/s) to regular DVD-R or DVD+R using the Haupauge HD PVR:

http://www.hauppauge.com/site/products/data_hdpvr.html

You can also record in SD to your DVD recorder using the composite output while watching in HD!

BUT.......I am having problems doing this just today! Since today I am getting the message of "Your TV or its cables are not HD on my DirecTV HR 20 receiver. On your remote control press and hold the EXIT key until you see confirmation."

I don't get this when watching in HD via component or in Blu-Ray over HDMI (I only have one HDMI out and one component out). I use the composite out to record HD programs in SD widescreen to my DVD recorder while watching the shows in HD. I use this sometimes for archiving and other times for editing to YouTube. In fact, today I recorded a terrible ref call in the Denver game to upload to YouTube and the damn message was plastered over the recording!

Anyone else have this problem? I KNOW that I have composite cable connected - it is to record to my DVD player! If I switch to 480i I will not be able to watch HD on my plasma!
post #36 of 75 Old 01-09-2012, 04:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by igreg View Post

Yes, you can record to your PC in HD and burn to regular DVD-R or DVD+R using the Haupauge HD PVR:

http://www.hauppauge.com/site/products/data_hdpvr.html

You can also record in SD to your DVD recorder using the composite output while watching in HD!

BUT.......I am having problems doing this just today! Since today I am getting the message of "Your TV or its cables are not HD on my DirecTV HR 20 receiver. On your remote control press and hold the EXIT key until you see confirmation."

I don't get this when watching in HD via component or in Blu-Ray over HDMI (I only have one HDMI out and one component out). I use the composite out to record HD programs in SD widescreen to my DVD recorder while watching the shows in HD. I use this sometimes for archiving and other times for editing to YouTube. In fact, today I recorded a terrible ref call in the Denver game to upload to YouTube and the damn message was plastered over the recording!

Anyone else have this problem? I KNOW that I have composite cable connected - it is to record to my DVD player! If I switch to 480i I will not be able to watch HD on my plasma!

In your case, you'll need to get/use a component to composite adapter so the message doesn't overlay. I believe you can click exit too, and it goes away, but this is how the new HD GUI works and those using composite/ S-Video are being nagged by this.

A.K.A. VOS
post #37 of 75 Old 01-09-2012, 11:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by veryoldschool View Post

In your case, you'll need to get/use a component to composite adapter so the message doesn't overlay. I believe you can click exit too, and it goes away, but this is how the new HD GUI works and those using composite/ S-Video are being nagged by this.

Not feasible for me since I have the HR20 DirecTV receiver with the component out going to my television and the HDMI going to my PS3. Therefore, I do not have another component output to do the conversion as you described.
post #38 of 75 Old 01-09-2012, 11:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Not feasible for me since I have the HR20 DirecTV receiver with the component out going to my television and the HDMI going to my PS3. Therefore, I do not have another component output to do the conversion as you described.

While this may be your case, it doesn't change what the DVR is doing, so "you'll need to change" to do what you want.

A.K.A. VOS
post #39 of 75 Old 01-09-2012, 11:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

If you play 20 sec the banner will go away.

Cheers.
post #40 of 75 Old 01-09-2012, 12:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 217
Keep in mind that even if you can capture HDCP free HDMI, it's uncompressed HD. That's 12MB a frame. While within the range of typical home PC these days, it's a hell of a lot of storage. So you would have to re-encode to H.264 or some other compressed format. And this will cause a quality hit.

Furthermore in December HBO and Cinemax started employing HDCP on HDMI outputs of satellite boxes. So I expect others will follow as well, that is Showtime, Encore, Startz, etc. They still leave the component outputs on but now the HDMI is encrypted.

So if HDMI capture does work today, it will soon be stopped by HDCP on premium channels. And in addition HDMI or HD component capture requires large initial amounts of storage at least for capture and re-compression if a reasonable archive is to be had.

It's simply not practical. The best bet is to use external hard drives under the rules of the satellite company. AFAIK, there is no limit to the number you can have. The only caveat is they are locked to your account and box so no sharing,

Glimmie's HT Page
Being redone - comming soon!

post #41 of 75 Old 01-09-2012, 01:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

While this may be your case, it doesn't change what the DVR is doing, so "you'll need to change" to do what you want.

The only way I could accomplish that would be to disconnect my HDMI out from my DirecTV receiver to my Blu-Ray player; then connect the HDMI out on the DirecTV reciever to my television, and then connect the now open component out of the DirecTV receiver to a component to composite converter EVERY time I wanted to record SD to my DVD recorder. Are you suggesting this as a viable recommended solution? Further, I prefer the component out to my television because I believe it gives a better picture than HDMI.
post #42 of 75 Old 01-09-2012, 03:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Are you suggesting this as a viable recommended solution?

At this point, I'm not suggesting anything, but am letting you know how the new software works. You should be able to press exit to clear the message, but other than waiting for it to time out, or converting component to composite, the nag message will be there. I didn't make it this way, so......

A.K.A. VOS
post #43 of 75 Old 01-09-2012, 05:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

At this point, I'm not suggesting anything, but am letting you know how the new software works. You should be able to press exit to clear the message, but other than waiting for it to time out, or converting component to composite, the nag message will be there. I didn't make it this way, so......

The message says to press exist to change your receiver to SD (i.e., 480i). Don't want to watch SD. Further, it doesn't happen quickly.
post #44 of 75 Old 01-09-2012, 06:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The message says to press exist to change your receiver to SD (i.e., 480i). Don't want to watch SD. Further, it doesn't happen quickly.

[not sure why I'm..]
Exit will clear the message, while press and hold exit will toggle the resolution to SD and back.
I don't give a rat's ... what you end up with, but merely trying to explain what you can do with the "way it is".
You will need to change something, be it your habits or hardware.

A.K.A. VOS
post #45 of 75 Old 01-09-2012, 07:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

[not sure why I'm..]
Exit will clear the message, while press and hold exit will toggle the resolution to SD and back.
I don't give a rat's ... what you end up with, but merely trying to explain what you can do with the "way it is".
You will need to change something, be it your habits or hardware.

That is not true. Pressing exit does not clear the screen. You would need to hold down for quite a while until the resolution changes. I know the way it is. My complaint is over the way it is. So I don't give a rat's ass over your comment that provides no useful information.
post #46 of 75 Old 01-09-2012, 07:37 PM
AVS Special Member

What DirecTV should do is recognize if the receiver is using an HDMI or Component out, and, if so, disable the message. Or if it just has to issue a message, due it only once, or have an option to check to not see the message again.
post #47 of 75 Old 01-09-2012, 08:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

What DirecTV should do is recognize if the receiver is using an HDMI or Component out, and, if so, disable the message. Or if it just has to issue a message, due it only once, or have an option to check to not see the message again.

This has been in test for several months, and everyone that uses composite has complaint from the start.
The only change to it that DirecTV did was to press and hold of the exit to toggle.

While I don't care, this is the way it is, and that's all I've been trying to help you with.

Call, complain, do whatever you want.

"Everyone else" has had to adapt to the change.

Good luck, if you think DirecTV is going to put any effort into someone wanting to copying recordings "easier".

A.K.A. VOS
post #48 of 75 Old 01-10-2012, 10:28 AM
Vin
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:

Get yourself a couple of these and split the component video output and analog audio from the HR20 > http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004353JBA/...SIN=B004353JBA

Another option would be a powered component video splitter http://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-ST123HDA-Component-Splitter-Digital/dp/B000NK75HI/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top but it will cost you significantly more and may not even be necessary. Considering how inexpensive the splitters are it might be worth a shot to try those first.

Vin
post #49 of 75 Old 01-10-2012, 10:54 AM

any break through on this, I'm out of space on the my DVR.
post #50 of 75 Old 01-10-2012, 11:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin View Post

Get yourself a couple of these and split the component video output and analog audio from the HR20 > http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004353JBA/...SIN=B004353JBA

Another option would be a powered component video splitter http://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-ST123HDA-Component-Splitter-Digital/dp/B000NK75HI/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top but it will cost you significantly more and may not even be necessary. Considering how inexpensive the splitters are it might be worth a shot to try those first.

Don't quite follow how this would work for my situation. It has 5-RCA jacks on either end and is used to splice two component cables together.
post #51 of 75 Old 01-10-2012, 11:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Get yourself a powered component video splitter http://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-ST123HDA-Component-Splitter-Digital/dp/B000NK75HI/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top but it will cost you significantly more and may not even be necessary. Considering how inexpensive the splitters are it might be worth a shot to try those first.

Quote:

Don't quite follow how this would work for my situation. It has 5-RCA jacks on either end and is used to splice two component cables together.

The second link is what you need, so you can split the component output.

A.K.A. VOS
post #52 of 75 Old 01-10-2012, 11:40 AM
Vin
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Wrong link, sorry about that. What I had in mind was to get 5 of these > http://www.amazon.com/HDE-Audio-Vide...6223892&sr=8-8 to split the component video output and the analog audio.

Vin
post #53 of 75 Old 01-10-2012, 02:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

This has been in test for several months, and everyone that uses composite has complaint from the start.
The only change to it that DirecTV did was to press and hold of the exit to toggle.

While I don't care, this is the way it is, and that's all I've been trying to help you with.

Call, complain, do whatever you want.

"Everyone else" has had to adapt to the change.

Good luck, if you think DirecTV is going to put any effort into someone wanting to copying recordings "easier".

A problem not only with those who wish to record video, a very viable concern, especially among those who do not have a DVR, but also with those who use the composite output for slave SD televisions, and those who use Slingbox.
post #54 of 75 Old 01-10-2012, 02:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Wrong link, sorry about that. What I had in mind was to get 5 of these > http://www.amazon.com/HDE-Audio-Vide...6223892&sr=8-8 to split the component video output and the analog audio.

Ok, thanks. I would be concerned about degradation of the quality of the signal however.

Problem may be overblown if message just there for 20 seconds. Will just have to start and end recordings 20-30 seconds before and after, respectively.
post #55 of 75 Old 01-10-2012, 04:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

A problem not only with those who use the composite output for slave SD televisions, and those who use Slingbox.

Which were the first to notice/scream about it.
The exit "toggle" was added, and for those that wanted HD on one TV, while SD to another at the same time, the component to composite converter is the only option.
Neither of these were acceptable by your own posts, so you're in an even smaller group and the splitter linked, is your option.

A.K.A. VOS
post #56 of 75 Old 01-19-2012, 01:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Which were the first to notice/scream about it.
The exit "toggle" was added, and for those that wanted HD on one TV, while SD to another at the same time, the component to composite converter is the only option.
Neither of these were acceptable by your own posts, so you're in an even smaller group and the splitter linked, is your option.

If it wasn't enough that the new GUI by DirecTV screwed up my recording of SD in my living room as I watch HD, it has virtually rendered it impossible for me to record HD in my master bedroom!

I have a standard 4:3 television in that room (meaning it does not take component inputs from the DirecTV HR20 receiver), so with this new GUI I cannot record in HD! Prior to this new GUI I could watch in SD and record in HD. I then could very easily transfer the HD recording to my computer via the component outputs of the HR20 using the Haupauge HD PVR, and then burn the HD recordings in HD to DVD-R or DVD+R disks for archiving and/or uploading in HD to YouTube.

Does anyone know if a component to composite connector will solve this problem, or will the still necessary RCA cables for the sound still result in problems? Thank You.
post #57 of 75 Old 01-19-2012, 06:22 AM
Vin
AVS Special Member

Quote:

If it wasn't enough that the new GUI by DirecTV screwed up my recording of SD in my living room as I watch HD, it has virtually rendered it impossible for me to record HD in my master bedroom!

I have a standard 4:3 television in that room (meaning it does not take component inputs from the DirecTV HR20 receiver), so with this new GUI I cannot record in HD! Prior to this new GUI I could watch in SD and record in HD. I then could very easily transfer the HD recording to my computer via the component outputs of the HR20 using the Haupauge HD PVR, and then burn the HD recordings in HD to DVD-R or DVD+R disks for archiving and/or uploading in HD to YouTube.

Does anyone know if a component to composite connector will solve this problem, or will the still necessary RCA cables for the sound still result in problems? Thank You.

The recordings are not affected by the new HD GUI, they're still HD. The component to composite converter is just to allow you to view those recordings on your 480i TV like you always have without the message popping up.

It still sounds like you have a need for dual component video outputs so the component video splitter I suggested earlier http://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-S...pr_product_top may be your best option. It would allow you to output to the component to composite video converter and to your Haupauge HD PVR at the same time.

Another option would be the component to composite video converter for your 480i analog TV and an HDMI to component video converter http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2 for the Haupauge HD PVR.

Or, and I still think it's worth a shot for the price, would be 5 of these splitters > http://www.amazon.com/HDE-Audio-Vide...6223892&sr=8-8.

Vin
post #58 of 75 Old 01-19-2012, 01:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The recordings are not affected by the new HD GUI, they're still HD. The component to composite converter is just to allow you to view those recordings on your 480i TV like you always have without the message popping up.

It still sounds like you have a need for dual component video outputs so the component video splitter I suggested earlier http://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-S...pr_product_top may be your best option. It would allow you to output to the component to composite video converter and to your Haupauge HD PVR at the same time.

Another option would be the component to composite video converter for your 480i analog TV and an HDMI to component video converter http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2 for the Haupauge HD PVR.

Or, and I still think it's worth a shot for the price, would be 5 of these splitters > http://www.amazon.com/HDE-Audio-Vide...6223892&sr=8-8.

Ok. Thanks. Will take a look at the cables mentioned. But right now when I have the receiver in 1080i resolution I cannot record. The receiver will not let me record. I must turn the receiver to 480i first.
post #59 of 75 Old 01-19-2012, 03:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 217
Quote:

You can't use those to split video. Video is a terminated transmission line at 75 ohms. If you simply split it with cheap RCA splitters, each device getting the signal will now get half the voltage level. IOW, low contrast.

You can get away with this for the audio but not the video. This goes for composite, component, and Svideo. They cannot be passively split.

Glimmie's HT Page
Being redone - comming soon!

post #60 of 75 Old 01-20-2012, 05:33 AM
Vin
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Ok. Thanks. Will take a look at the cables mentioned. But right now when I have the receiver in 1080i resolution I cannot record. The receiver will not let me record. I must turn the receiver to 480i first.

Not sure what's happening with your recording issue, maybe someone else can offer some insight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glimmie View Post

You can't use those to split video. Video is a terminated transmission line at 75 ohms. If you simply split it with cheap RCA splitters, each device getting the signal will now get half the voltage level. IOW, low contrast.

You can get away with this for the audio but not the video. This goes for composite, component, and Svideo. They cannot be passively split.

Good info, thanks Glimmie.

Vin
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page