PV-HD1000 sound dropouts - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 11-26-2001, 01:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
This issue was discussed some time ago but it seems that no particular cause or cure was discovered. I've made a recording HD1000 (demo) to HD1000 (consumer) and issue propagates itself while playing back through TU-DST51 and outputting sound stream into Sony 9000 ES separates. The source tape has perfect sound. Sound comes and goes randomly. I thought I was getting a "pattern" in terms of timing of dropouts but then arrived to conclusion that it is random. I own a "consumer" so I was not able to verify if my recording will have sound drops on "demo" model. Any thoughts ?

thanx

Andrey
(ex-systems engineer)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 11-26-2001, 03:25 PM
sr

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I also have the Sony 9000ES decoder, and unfortunately it cannot buffer the inevitable audio dropouts that occur during OTA broadcasts. You'll notice that DVDs don't suffer from this problem. If you do a search in the archive section of this forum, you'll find that someone has posted a list of acceptable and non-acceptable decoders. I was surprised to see that some very pricey units exhibit this problem. The discontinued Panasonic SHAC decoder was one of the "acceptable" units that I purchased. It works fine, and it only cost a fraction of what I paid for the Sony. Unfortunately, it complicated audio switching, but thanks to the Pronto universal remote, I programmed a macro to automate the selection of various sources.
post #3 of 6 Old 11-26-2001, 09:15 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 105
atmosphera-

Actually the dropouts were defined and a work around was proven to work quite satisfactory. When we were all just starting to use the panny combo when it was still on the market most discovered this dropout problem on DD audio. The analysis for it was defined by Richard Adams. In his research, found out that some Dolby decoder chips used were not completely in compliance with the dolby code as implemented in the Panasonic HD1000. Most Panasonic and Techniques as well as a few others would not have the dropouts at all while many, including high end receivers with DD decoders did have the problem. It was not a case of the better receivers costing the most worked better. Then along cam a low cost way to fix this by using a Techniques SHAC500 DD decoder. This is what most bought to use with the Panny combo as it has proven to work and costs under $200.

Also, I have been told that the 169time modification to the DTC-100 will fix the problem too. At least this was one of their claims.
post #4 of 6 Old 11-27-2001, 07:09 AM
AVS Special Member

I can say without a doubt that the modified DTC100 fixes the sound dropout problem. I have had none caused by the hardward. I get some on the tape once in a while but nothing will fix this.

dave
post #5 of 6 Old 11-27-2001, 07:49 AM - Thread Starter

It is interesting that DD 5.1 comes with dropouts and DD 2.0 is going fine through 9000ES. I guess nothing/nobody is perfect :)
I will just live through it :)

Andrey
(ex-systems engineer)
post #6 of 6 Old 11-27-2001, 11:54 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 105
atmosfera-

I can confirm here that the dropouts were present on ALL sound playback, regardless of DD2.0 or DD5.1 on the tape when decoded with my Denon 5700. The same tape, played back through the Techniques decoder had no dropouts. These same results were confirmed by many and thus the claim that adding the Techniques decoder was the simplest and lowest cost fix for the problem. The second best fix is the DTC-100 mod as confirmed by Dave. (I place this second, only because the mod cost more and historically more difficult to have done than purchasing the Techniques decoder. I'm assuming the decoder is still commercially available.)
Closed Thread HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page