Using a cable box with a PC as an HD DVR? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 12-08-2007, 07:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Basically, I want to use my PC as a DVR (for SD and HD television), but using my cable box. How in the hell would I do this? I have Interactive Optimum (io), so I don't think a tuner card in my PC would work.

I searched, but couldn't find anything (then again, I'm terrible with keywords).

So if anyone can help me, thanks. Also, I'm sorry if I put this in the wrong section.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 12-08-2007, 09:23 PM

This will depend on the cable company & cable box, but, most cable boxes that support HD have a Firewire (IEEE1394) port on them - and - that they support sending the audio/video out that port. Search on firewire dvr - or - check out MythTV.
I use a Motorola DCH3200 cable box connected via Firewire to my Mythbuntu system (MythTV on Ubuntu Linux) - it works (pretty much) and, was fairly easy to install & cnfigure.
post #3 of 7 Old 12-08-2007, 09:26 PM - Thread Starter

Cablevision/Optimum Scientific Atlanta Explorer 4200HD. It has firewire and USB.
post #4 of 7 Old 12-09-2007, 06:42 AM

There are other options as well - most likely under Virtual DVHS, you may also want to check out this link for info on capturing under Windows... Which I found on a Snapstream forum
This is also a forum here on avsfrum...

Quote:

Using a cable box with a PC as an HD DVR?
Basically, I want to use my PC as a DVR (for SD and HD television), but using my cable box. How in the hell would I do this? I have Interactive Optimum (io), so I don't think a tuner card in my PC would work.

I searched, but couldn't find anything (then again, I'm terrible with keywords).

So if anyone can help me, thanks. Also, I'm sorry if I put this in the wrong section.

post #5 of 7 Old 12-16-2007, 06:37 PM - Thread Starter

Bump?
post #6 of 7 Old 01-11-2008, 09:04 PM

I use a shuttle xpc with Snapstream BeyondTV. I have 500gb of disk space and a pvr150 tuner/mpeg encoder and also a dvico usb ota tuner.

I feed the pvr150 with cable, but also connect a moto 6400 cable box to it thru svideo and use firewire to tune it for those encrypted channels I can't get direct from cable.

I have not yet set up the firewire direct recording (it's possible with some manipulation).

It works great, and I can also burn DVDs from programs and use the box as a server over 100mb ethernet to a mediamvp.

Go to snapstream's web site and wander around a bit and check the forums. zillions of people do this.
post #7 of 7 Old 01-12-2008, 08:32 PM

I have win TV 950 (from the wall) for analog channels on my PC. I want hd channels , so I tried to hook it up from my box and it didn't work. to get HD I use svideo and control the channels from the box.
Reply HDTV Recorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page