HDTV Recorder JVC HD30000-Help - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 11-27-2001, 11:09 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
With regard to the JVC HDTV recorder, I thought I had read somewhere these machines had been recalled by JVC. Is this true and if so why? I just saw one for sale at about 1200 from ecost.com. Any help would be appreciated.

TIA
Hugh

Hugh Campbell
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 11-27-2001, 11:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Interesting, where did you read this?

Why?

dave
post #3 of 12 Old 11-27-2001, 01:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hello Hugh,

You quote: I thought I had read somewhere these machines had been recalled by JVC.

Were you referring to the Japanese model? The reason I say this is because the US models became available within the last few weeks. I purchased one from E-Cost only a week ago and heard no mention of a recall. So far the machine seems to be working quite well.

Cheers,
Peter M
post #4 of 12 Old 11-27-2001, 02:54 PM
Advanced Member

Hi Pete! I am trying to find out how to overide the automatic selection of S-VHS recording mode when I insert an S-VHS tape in my machine! You said you know how to overcome this shortcoming! I already sent emails and offered to take a collect call, but so far noone seems to be willing to help me! I ordered D-VHS tapes from the Tape Warehouse, but they will not be here until Friday. Can you help me? Thanks!

Mauro
post #5 of 12 Old 11-27-2001, 09:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
If you compare the bottom of an S-VHS tape and of a D-VHS one, you will see that the D-VHS one has an additional hole.

The bottom of the S-VHS casing shows a groove with one little hole in the left, and a big hole in the center.

A D-VHS tape has another little hole on the right.

So, all you have to do is drill a similar hole in your S-VHS tape. Be careful not to go through the casing, you don't want to have plastic dust inside your tape first, and then on your 30000 heads.

Of course, there MUST be a way to use the 30000 menus to do that, but I don't know it: I have only the Japanese version, and the manual is a tad hard to read:D

Robert
post #6 of 12 Old 11-27-2001, 11:57 PM
Advanced Member

Hi Robert,

Except physical difference, do you know anything about performance different? What is the actual difference on the tape material itself?

Xiaoyu,
post #7 of 12 Old 11-28-2001, 12:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
With HD material, D-VHS tapes are supposed to have less drop-outs, but I have no direct experience with that.
Most people here seem to use S-VHS tapes instead, and are perfectly happy with them.

Robert
post #8 of 12 Old 11-28-2001, 04:08 PM
Advanced Member

Thanks Robert! I haven't got the D-VHS tapes I ordered yet, but will examine them as soon as I get them! Two other members of this forum have answered my question, and it seems that it is possible to do the same by pressing the button on the front panel to select D-VHS mode. Then inserting an S-VHS tape in the machine and select the digital-recording speed. I tried that today, and it seems to work! I do not understand why the manual says that one cannot use any but D-VHS tapes to do a D-VHS recording! Could it be to sell more D-VHS tapes? Anyway, thanks for your help!

Mauro
post #9 of 12 Old 11-29-2001, 10:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Hi Guys,

I find no need to drill the extra hole in order to record on S-VHS tapes.
However I'm not sure if this is the case with the Japanese machines; perhaps the owner of a Japanese version 30000 can chime in on this?

Happy recording,
Peter M
post #10 of 12 Old 11-29-2001, 11:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Peter,

The issue here is whether the DH30000 can be made to default to DVHS mode when an SVHS tape is inserted. The way it is now, every time you turn the machine on or insert a cassette you have to remember to set the mode to DVHS.

Drilling an additional hole is one way to solve the problem. The menu in the Japanese DH30000 doesn't offer a "DVHS only" setting.

-Roger
post #11 of 12 Old 11-30-2001, 08:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Gridleak quotes: The issue here is whether the DH30000 can be made to default to DVHS mode when an SVHS tape is inserted.

Reply: Thanks, Gridleak, now I see your point. ;)
post #12 of 12 Old 12-05-2001, 08:10 PM

The deck has to detect the presence of the "DVHS hole." This is undoubtedly done by a microswitch with a small pin which lines up with the hole. When an SVHS (or VHS) tape is inserted, it actuates this switch. When a DVHS tape is inserted, the pin slides up into the hole, and the switch is never actuated.

So to permanently enable DVHS recording we must open the deck, find the switch and determine with an ohmmeter whether the switch is NO (Normally Open) or NC (Normally Closed).

Since the switch doesn't move when a DVHS tape is inserted then if it's NO, the circuit stays open but if NC, the circuit stays closed. So to permanently disable the switch, either cut one of the wires (if NO) or short across the switch (if NC).

Of course, opening your case may void your warranty. :D

Peter
Closed Thread HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page