Comcast TiVo Bugs - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 75 Old 12-28-2007, 12:12 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
LKupersmith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: NH
Posts: 111
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thought we should have a separate thread for known bugs and other inconveniences with the new Comcast TiVo software. I'll start off here and if everyone could add what they find, maybe Comcast can get this debugged faster. All my testing has been done on 2 DCH-3416 boxes.

BUGS (in no particular order):

1. Dolby Digital 5.1 output doesn't work for some people using Optical out. All audio is in Pro-Logic irregardless of Audio setup settings.
*** FIXED 4/3/08 *** in ver. TE-1.03-0078-01-01-001

2. Guide starts at wrong channel and Info displays wrong info when pressing the Guide or Info buttons within a minute or so of changing the channel.
*** FIXED 4/3/08 *** in ver. TE-1.03-0078-01-01-001

3. I've been unable to set Season Passes for certain shows. Others work correctly.
*** FIXED 12/31/07 ***

4. TiVo sounds. After getting an error sound, the error sound is superimposed on the regular TiVo sound. Restarting fixes this. ??? Don't know if fixed, sounds turned off.

6. Takes almost a minute to filter guide display to show only HD programs. Until then guide is empty.
*** FIXED 4/3/08 *** in ver. TE-1.03-0078-01-01-001

7. Occasional On Demand freezes and black screen. Required unplugging box to fix.
*** FIXED ? Haven't seen this problem for a long time ***

8. When you switch tuners during live programming it plays live for a few seconds then skips back about ten seconds and starts again.
*** FIXED *** noticed after TE-1.03-0078-01-01-001 update

9. No Red REC light on front panel of DCH unit (General DCH box problem, not only TiVo).
*** FIXED *** in v.TE-1.03-0078-01-01-001 but no indication whether recording on one or both tuners.

10. New problem following TE-1.03-0078-01-01-001 update: Setting recordings is dreadfully, excruciatingly slow.
*** FIXED with update that did not change firmware version from 1.03 ***

11. New Bug noted as of 1.05-0085-01. Second tuner freezes occasionally. Although I rebooted to clear this up, another user reported that changing channels clears the problem also.

INCONVENIENCES:

1. No 30 second skip. *** FIXED - USER FIGURED THIS OUT ***

2. No Day Up or Day Down 24 hour skip in the Guide. *** FIXED - ADDED in 1.05 firmware ***

3. Guide doesn't indicate Rerun or New. *** FIXED - ADDED in 1.05 firmware ***

4. Paging up or down in the Guide is SLOW! *** FIXED - Major speed increased in 1.05 firmware ***

5. TiVo suggestions should only be recorded on the secondary tuner (whichever is not being output at the time). They shouldn't interfere with watching a live program ever by popping up the annoying change channel request. IMO, one tuner's worth of recorded suggestions is more than enough.
LKupersmith is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 75 Old 12-29-2007, 09:10 AM
Newbie
 
stevegarfield's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Boston
Posts: 14
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
There's a button to filter out all shows so that only HD shows are displayed, you can also do it via an on screen menu. It took 53 seconds for the screen to refresh.
stevegarfield is offline  
post #3 of 75 Old 12-29-2007, 09:11 AM
Newbie
 
stevegarfield's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Boston
Posts: 14
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
In movie view, movies are sorted by time, but in HD view, shows are sorted by name.

I don't see a way to change the sorting.
stevegarfield is offline  
post #4 of 75 Old 12-29-2007, 09:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
bfdtv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 13,484
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Is there an option in the menus to disable Tivo sounds? If so, you might try disabling Tivo sounds to see if that fixes the issue with Dolby Digital.

With the standalone TiVos, you don't get Tivo sounds via optical on channels with Dolby Digital unless you go into the Settings -> Audio menu and disable DD output. It's possible the default setting is different on the Comcast Tivo, i.e. perhaps with their implementation, enabling the TiVo sounds disables the DD output.
bfdtv is offline  
post #5 of 75 Old 12-29-2007, 05:16 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
LKupersmith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: NH
Posts: 111
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfdtv View Post

Is there an option in the menus to disable Tivo sounds? If so, you might try disabling Tivo sounds to see if that fixes the issue with Dolby Digital.

With the standalone TiVos, you don't get Tivo sounds via optical on channels with Dolby Digital unless you go into the Settings -> Audio menu and disable DD output. It's possible the default setting is different on the Comcast Tivo, i.e. perhaps with their implementation, enabling the TiVo sounds disables the DD output.

Have already tested with TiVo sounds on and off. No DD output either way.
LKupersmith is offline  
post #6 of 75 Old 01-14-2008, 09:44 AM
Newbie
 
kmcheng's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKupersmith View Post

1. Dolby Digital 5.1 output doesn't work for some people using Optical out. All audio is in Pro-Logic irregardless of Audio setup settings.

Actually, co-ax out does not work either. I am pretty sure it is a box/software issue because I used to get 5.1 sound from the old Comcast DVR. After my "upgrade" to Comcast Tivo, I do not get 5.1 sound anymore and have to use Pro Logic II decoding in my receiver to emulate surround sound. Does anyone know if Comcast is looking at this?
kmcheng is offline  
post #7 of 75 Old 01-19-2008, 07:23 AM
Advanced Member
 
jonwww's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Southshore, MA
Posts: 734
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
1. Multi sized info bar sometimes seems to forget what size it's set at. I set it for the medium size so it's just the bar at the top. However after going through the guide, bringing up info on some shows and swapping tuners a couple times it reverts back to the full info bar again.

2. While using the search feature, when seeing the list of results on the right it gives the date of the show/movie but when going to more info on OnDemand shows the date is gone (on regularly scheduled shows it's still there).

Just my 2¢
Jon
jonwww is offline  
post #8 of 75 Old 01-19-2008, 08:37 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
bfdtv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 13,484
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
For Comcast/TiVo:

I would suggest using the replay and skip+ buttons for day+/- in the program guide. Verizon FiOS does this with their new IMG software and it works well.
bfdtv is offline  
post #9 of 75 Old 01-19-2008, 10:45 AM
AVS Special Member
 
11001011's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: N.W. Washington
Posts: 1,361
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKupersmith View Post

INCONVENIENCES:

1. No 30 second skip.

Does the 30 skip hack work on Comcas't Tivo?

1. Play back any prerecorded program.

2. Punch in "Select > Play > Select > 3 > 0 > Select" on the remote.

3. If you hear three "dings," the hack is now activated, and pressing the ->| button will jump ahead 30 seconds during any recording.

4. If the TiVo loses power or is reset, you'll need to repeat the sequence above.

A 'phile and his money are soon parted...
11001011 is offline  
post #10 of 75 Old 01-22-2008, 11:53 AM
Member
 
mburstin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 16
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfdtv View Post

For Comcast/TiVo:

I would suggest using the replay and skip+ buttons for day+/- in the program guide. Verizon FiOS does this with their new IMG software and it works well.

I've read a few people asking for this, and have to ask, WHY? I found the need to use the program guide and day +/- to be one of the worst possible ways to find programs to record on the Comcast iGuide software. It immediately made me cringe after using Tivo's 'Record By Time' or 'Record By Channel' scheduling.

I hated having to page through the many pages of channels, then day + to the correct day, then scroll to the correct time.

Am I missing something that this functionality provides?
mburstin is offline  
post #11 of 75 Old 01-23-2008, 06:05 AM
Newbie
 
cwwaters's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The guide and Tivo menu display in 4:3 when my output is set to 1080i. Is there a way to fix this?

The guide is certainly better than the old Comcast one, but unfortunately seems to be some sort of hybrid b/w what I like about the Tivo guide and what I don't like about the Comcast guide. Rather than a PIP like TV in the guide, I'd love to see a smaller guide in the foreground with TV in the background.

Also, I'm not sure b/c I don't think that I've scheduled anything with conflicts, does the new software give you the "will record" and "will not record" lists when it identifies a conflict during season pass setup?
cwwaters is offline  
post #12 of 75 Old 01-23-2008, 06:09 AM
Member
 
mburstin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 16
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwwaters View Post

The guide and Tivo menu display in 4:3 when my output is set to 1080i. Is there a way to fix this?

The guide is certainly better than the old Comcast one, but unfortunately seems to be some sort of hybrid b/w what I like about the Tivo guide and what I don't like about the Comcast guide. Rather than a PIP like TV in the guide, I'd love to see a smaller guide in the foreground with TV in the background.

Also, I'm not sure b/c I don't think that I've scheduled anything with conflicts, does the new software give you the "will record" and "will not record" lists when it identifies a conflict during season pass setup?

The guide is in SD (for now, hopefully).

As far as recordings, you will see the standard Tivo conflict messages when creating conflicting season passes. In addition, the ToDo list has an updated interface where it shows "Will Record" for all schedule data, "Won't Record" for all schedule data as well as a daily break-down (like what was in iGuide, but in a useful format). I forget if the daily break-down shows won't record or just will record and not near my TV at the moment.
mburstin is offline  
post #13 of 75 Old 01-23-2008, 06:18 AM
Newbie
 
cwwaters's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Excellent - thanks for the reply. Here's hoping that the guide is HD soon.
cwwaters is offline  
post #14 of 75 Old 01-23-2008, 07:30 AM
Advanced Member
 
Andrzej's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Wayland
Posts: 791
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwwaters View Post

Excellent - thanks for the reply. Here's hoping that the guide is HD soon.

I wouldn't count on it as long as most users have no HD/wide-screen TVs.
Andrzej is offline  
post #15 of 75 Old 01-23-2008, 07:37 AM
Member
 
mburstin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 16
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrzej View Post

I wouldn't count on it as long as most users have no HD/wide-screen TVs.

But this is the Tivo service for Comcast's HD box. I would imagine that the vast majority (all?) people using the HD box have HD TVs attached to them.
mburstin is offline  
post #16 of 75 Old 01-23-2008, 09:20 AM
Senior Member
 
mchief99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Alexandria VA
Posts: 218
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11001011 View Post

Does the 30 skip hack work on Comcas't Tivo?

1. Play back any prerecorded program.

2. Punch in "Select > Play > Select > 3 > 0 > Select" on the remote.

3. If you hear three "dings," the hack is now activated, and pressing the ->| button will jump ahead 30 seconds during any recording.

4. If the TiVo loses power or is reset, you'll need to repeat the sequence above.

4. No longer true. 30 second skip now works after restart 9.2 software.
mchief99 is offline  
post #17 of 75 Old 01-23-2008, 09:35 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
bfdtv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 13,484
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mburstin View Post

But this is the Tivo service for Comcast's HD box. I would imagine that the vast majority (all?) people using the HD box have HD TVs attached to them.

What makes you say that? Comcast has a single Motorola DVR for SD and HD customers. SD customers get the same box.
bfdtv is offline  
post #18 of 75 Old 01-23-2008, 10:09 AM
AVS Special Member
 
11001011's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: N.W. Washington
Posts: 1,361
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by mchief99 View Post

4. No longer true. 30 second skip now works after restart 9.2 software.

Oh, I did not know that as I have my Tivo on a UPS and it hasn't been restarted since I entered the skip hack.

Has anyone with the Comcast Tivo tried the 30 second skip hack yet?

A 'phile and his money are soon parted...
11001011 is offline  
post #19 of 75 Old 01-23-2008, 10:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
bfdtv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 13,484
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11001011 View Post

Has anyone with the Comcast Tivo tried the 30 second skip hack yet?

It doesn't work with the current software.

Hopefully, this is something they will add in the next update.
bfdtv is offline  
post #20 of 75 Old 01-23-2008, 01:02 PM
Member
 
tbertino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 42
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Having used an old series 2 Tivo as well as a Comcast HD-DVR, I would think that the bounce back feature in the Tivo software is better than the 30 second skip anyway.

I still use my old Tivo on my old SDTV occasionally and always long for that on my Comcast HD-DVR.
tbertino is offline  
post #21 of 75 Old 01-23-2008, 01:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
gwsat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Tulsa
Posts: 14,724
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked: 530
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfdtv View Post

It doesn't work with the current software.

That’s too bad. There are many, many TiVo features that are unmatched by any other DVR’s software program but the 30 second skip ahead, 8 second skip back, features are among the best of them. Every time I try to fast forward through a commercial with the SA 8300HD and its pitiful SARA software, which I use with my other HDTV, I feel like a one armed paperhanger. It’s a really slow and unsatisfactory process.
gwsat is offline  
post #22 of 75 Old 01-23-2008, 03:09 PM
Advanced Member
 
jonwww's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Southshore, MA
Posts: 734
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mburstin View Post

I forget if the daily break-down shows won't record or just will record and not near my TV at the moment.

Yes it shows both.

Just my 2¢
Jon
jonwww is offline  
post #23 of 75 Old 01-23-2008, 03:11 PM
Advanced Member
 
jonwww's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Southshore, MA
Posts: 734
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfdtv View Post

What makes you say that? Comcast has a single Motorola DVR for SD and HD customers. SD customers get the same box.

They had some SD boxes made by Pace also, but they didn't make much of an impact. So yes, most are the Moto's (for better or worse )

Just my 2¢
Jon
jonwww is offline  
post #24 of 75 Old 01-23-2008, 03:15 PM
Advanced Member
 
jonwww's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Southshore, MA
Posts: 734
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mburstin View Post

I've read a few people asking for this, and have to ask, WHY? I found the need to use the program guide and day +/- to be one of the worst possible ways to find programs to record on the Comcast iGuide software. It immediately made me cringe after using Tivo's 'Record By Time' or 'Record By Channel' scheduling.

I hated having to page through the many pages of channels, then day + to the correct day, then scroll to the correct time.

Am I missing something that this functionality provides?

Actually the day- & day+ was very handy. Just tune to the channel (or section of channels) for a certain time (say channel 804, 8:00pm) & press the day+ button to bring you to the same time & channel on the next day. You can do pretty much the same thing with the Tivo software but once you're in the guide you have to press Enter, arrow down to date, select, select & then it brings you to the same place.

Just my 2¢
Jon
jonwww is offline  
post #25 of 75 Old 01-24-2008, 01:01 PM
Member
 
tbertino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 42
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Okay, I just had my TiVo upgrade. Unfortunately I wasn't able to be there for the install, but my wife was relaying info.

First off, let me start by saying I can't stand Comcast. I've had so many install issues over the years (technicians not showing up for appt's, not doing a correct install, etc). When my first HD box was installed about 18 months ago, while the tech was there, I asked my wife to look at an HD channel to check out the picture. After checking several channels she responded saying that she couldn't notice a difference. Of course, I was then skeptical that the technician had hooked things up correctly, so I told her to ask him if what he was seeing was HD. He responded, yes, that's HD. So, I get home, and of course, it's not HD. This "professional" hooked up the HD box to my TV via a coaxial cable and was either a complete moron or flat out lied to my wife. So, I hooked up the box to the TV via HDMI, and later also component (split screen doesn't work on HDMI) and problem solved. Of course, I had to front the money for the cables, which I probably should have gotten for free if the technician had done the install correctly.

So, going into today's install I'm very untrusting of Comcast technicians to begin with. My wife calls me and here are the issues:

1) We need a new box. I SPECIFICALLY ASKED the phone rep whether I was going to need a new box and she said no, it's a software download. Pissed me off, but no big deal, we were rather up to date on our shows and the most important shows remaining are probably either on my old TiVo on my SDTV or On Demand (CBS). And, I'm hoping that the new box will have a larger hard drive. Not holding my breath, but it would be a nice perk. Something I'll look for when I get home.

2) My current setup has a 3 way powered RF splitter, one connection going to the cable box, one directly to the TV for split screen, and one going to a cable modem. I currently have no signal problems on any of them. The technician says that it won't work with the new box. I'm not too worried about it because I can move the cable modem to another hookup and I can either deal without split screen which I don't use all that much, or just use another cable from the splitter at the source through my floor (I already have a hole for speaker wire for my 5.1 setup. So, I just told him to connect it directly to the box without splitting the signal. Anyone buy that the new box is going to change things with signal strength? I'm planning on checking it out for myself. I'm figuring I should at least be able to split out the split screen without a problem.

3) Un-freakin-believable. My wife checks out the HD channels, no HD. Do Comcast techs have to take a class at screwing with their customers? I'm sure it's not the box, it's probably an HD-DVR (better be or I'm really going to go off), but the imcompetent tech probably hooked it up to the TV with the coaxial cable again.

And Comcast has me by the junk at the moment, my southern sky is rather tree-lined. I'm praying for Verizon Fios to get here soon.
tbertino is offline  
post #26 of 75 Old 01-24-2008, 01:50 PM
Advanced Member
 
jonwww's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Southshore, MA
Posts: 734
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbertino View Post

1) We need a new box. I SPECIFICALLY ASKED the phone rep whether I was going to need a new box and she said no, it's a software download. Pissed me off, but no big deal, we were rather up to date on our shows and the most important shows remaining are probably either on my old TiVo on my SDTV or On Demand (CBS). And, I'm hoping that the new box will have a larger hard drive. Not holding my breath, but it would be a nice perk. Something I'll look for when I get home.

Even though a box may be one of the 3 approved boxes, if there's a problem getting the software to download correctly the box is swapped out.


Quote:


2) My current setup has a 3 way powered RF splitter, one connection going to the cable box, one directly to the TV for split screen, and one going to a cable modem. I currently have no signal problems on any of them. The technician says that it won't work with the new box. I'm not too worried about it because I can move the cable modem to another hookup and I can either deal without split screen which I don't use all that much, or just use another cable from the splitter at the source through my floor (I already have a hole for speaker wire for my 5.1 setup. So, I just told him to connect it directly to the box without splitting the signal. Anyone buy that the new box is going to change things with signal strength? I'm planning on checking it out for myself. I'm figuring I should at least be able to split out the split screen without a problem.

This is one of the reasons a truck roll is used at this time. The box no longer uses the Out of Band tuner for the modem & instead starts using the DOCSIS modem in the box which has different signal tolerances. Just because it worked fine before doesn't necessarily mean it'll work after it with the same signal going to it. However, you can try putting the splitter back in but it may be outside of the recommended range of where it should be, it may still work fine though.


Quote:


3) Un-freakin-believable. My wife checks out the HD channels, no HD. Do Comcast techs have to take a class at screwing with their customers? I'm sure it's not the box, it's probably an HD-DVR (better be or I'm really going to go off), but the imcompetent tech probably hooked it up to the TV with the coaxial cable again.

And Comcast has me by the junk at the moment, my southern sky is rather tree-lined. I'm praying for Verizon Fios to get here soon.

It's still an HD DVR, they're the only one's that the Tivo will work on.

Just my 2¢
Jon
jonwww is offline  
post #27 of 75 Old 01-24-2008, 02:07 PM
Member
 
tbertino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 42
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonwww View Post

Even though a box may be one of the 3 approved boxes, if there's a problem getting the software to download correctly the box is swapped out..

This was before the technician even bothered to try the download. My guess is I don't have one of the approved boxes. That's fine, but the reps must have access to what box I have, and even if they don't they should mention that it's possible that a new box is required.


Quote:
Originally Posted by jonwww View Post

This is one of the reasons a truck roll is used at this time. The box no longer uses the Out of Band tuner for the modem & instead starts using the DOCSIS modem in the box which has different signal tolerances. Just because it worked fine before doesn't necessarily mean it'll work after it with the same signal going to it. However, you can try putting the splitter back in but it may be outside of the recommended range of where it should be, it may still work fine though.

I didn't necessarily think the guy was wrong, but given past history, I just don't trust them. Especially given that he doesn't know how to hook up an HD signal, just as the first guy who put in my old box didn't.


Quote:
Originally Posted by jonwww View Post

It's still an HD DVR, they're the only one's that the Tivo will work on.

Given that the same thing has happened before, I figured it was just him doing an incorrect cable hookup. It just baffles me that a "technician" can't do something as simple as connecting the correct cable from the cable box to the TV. ESPECIALLY in this case, where the cables were already connected to the TV, he just needed to connect the same cables from the old box to the new box.
tbertino is offline  
post #28 of 75 Old 01-24-2008, 03:03 PM
Advanced Member
 
Andrzej's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Wayland
Posts: 791
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbertino View Post

...
Anyone buy that the new box is going to change things with signal strength?

This is actually true. My signal was too strong for the Tivo-Comcast combo even thought it was perfectly fine for the Comcast box (DCH) with iGuide.
Andrzej is offline  
post #29 of 75 Old 01-24-2008, 03:34 PM
Newbie
 
reynold's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 14
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just got the Comcast TiVo upgrade today. As others have reported, the install wasn't exactly smooth.

You do NOT need a new cable box providing you have one of the supported Motorola DVR boxes. The Comcast tech told me there were only two models supported right now. They know which cable box you have in advance, so if it's not supported, they will replace the box.

He was not able to get TiVo installed on my box (which was one of the supported models). He has yet to get this old box to take the upgrade. I don't remember the model number, but it's the older HD DVR.

Since the old box didn't work, he swapped it out for the latest Motorola box (DCH3416). The install went smoothly and actually took less than 10 minutes once the upgrade signal started. This newer box seems to always work for the upgrade, so in reality it seems only the newest box works.

He shed some light on install problems others have experienced. They need to get a certain signal strength, so they may have to replace cables and/or splitters in the house. (There's no charge for that). This is part of the reason the tech has to come out to the house to do the upgrade. Also if the box doesn't take the upgrade, they have to replace it. In the future they hope to be able to push the upgrade remotely to those who request the service.

As for bugs, everything seems to be working properally. We did have a problem at first with the audio, but he restarted the DVR (this is an option in the Settings menu) and it fixed that issue...

The missing day up/day down is a huge downfall of the Comcast TiVo system. It takes forever to advance the guide since the advance is only 1.5 hours. The Motorola had an 8 hour jump and 24 hour (day up) jump. You can use the more options screen to change the day, and you can search, but this just adds unnecessary steps.
reynold is offline  
post #30 of 75 Old 01-24-2008, 03:45 PM
Newbie
 
reynold's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 14
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbertino View Post

1) We need a new box. I SPECIFICALLY ASKED the phone rep whether I was going to need a new box and she said no, it's a software download. Pissed me off, but no big deal, we were rather up to date on our shows and the most important shows remaining are probably either on my old TiVo on my SDTV or On Demand (CBS). And, I'm hoping that the new box will have a larger hard drive. Not holding my breath, but it would be a nice perk. Something I'll look for when I get home.

You do not necessarily need a new cable box. You must have one of the supported Motorola HD DVR boxes. If not, they will replace the box as part of the upgrade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbertino View Post

2) My current setup has a 3 way powered RF splitter, one connection going to the cable box, one directly to the TV for split screen, and one going to a cable modem. I currently have no signal problems on any of them. The technician says that it won't work with the new box. I'm not too worried about it because I can move the cable modem to another hookup and I can either deal without split screen which I don't use all that much, or just use another cable from the splitter at the source through my floor (I already have a hole for speaker wire for my 5.1 setup. So, I just told him to connect it directly to the box without splitting the signal. Anyone buy that the new box is going to change things with signal strength? I'm planning on checking it out for myself. I'm figuring I should at least be able to split out the split screen without a problem.

They need to be able to get a certain signal level in order to do the upgrade. If there are lots of splitters and cheap cable throughout the house, it will degrade the signal. They may need to replace cables and/or splitters for the install, which is standard procedure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbertino View Post

3) Un-freakin-believable. My wife checks out the HD channels, no HD. Do Comcast techs have to take a class at screwing with their customers? I'm sure it's not the box, it's probably an HD-DVR (better be or I'm really going to go off), but the incompetent tech probably hooked it up to the TV with the coaxial cable again.

The HD DVRs are the only boxes that support the TiVo upgrade. The SD box is actually quite rare and few customers have it.

Hooking up the cable box with a coax cable doesn't make the tech incompetent.

Obviously you're not happy with Comcast. Service for me has been great -- a thousand times better than Verizon.
reynold is offline  
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off