Quality difference between the LS3 and STD mode on the JVC? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 12-01-2001, 11:21 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Has anyone done any extensive comparison between the two SD digital recording modes on the JVC HM-DH30000 ?

It's to believe that LS3 is supposedly better than SVHS quality when it's probably full of digital artifacts.. like the slowest speed on Tivo or Replay TV.

My unit won't get here until next Friday.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 12-02-2001, 11:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hi Jlin,
Actually there are three digital recording speeds on the 30000.

I have done comparisons on all three: The fastest speed is so clear that the only way I could actually see a difference was by plugging in a color camera.
The "Standard" speed mirrored any material I recorded, there is no visual difference from the source or playback when doing A-B comparisons (I've tried this with laser disc and satellite).
And the slowest speed (LS3) looks at least as good as SVHS and even some of my DVDs. There are no artifacts as you suggested.
I'm using this speed to store old VHS and Beta material to free up some storage space. I'm using Standard speed for storing newer recordings which are of a higher quality.

I did have a problem with the picture freezing at random points, but this looks as if it may have been the fault of one particular tape. I will have to do more recording and playback before I can make a final assessment on this enigma.

Hope this helped,
Peter M
post #3 of 14 Old 12-02-2001, 11:52 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I thought the highest speed is reserved for HD broadcasts only?

Do you notice any AUDIO quality difference between the Standard and the x3 speed? If not, this can be a good audio recorder for long concerts!

I'd also be curious to find out if you are able to trick the VCR to record in digital mode using hole-punched standard VHS tapes (high grade ones, of course).
post #4 of 14 Old 12-03-2001, 08:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Hi Jlin,

You have the option of recording with all three speeds.

The audio is better at the higher speeds, but it still sounds great with x3.

The machine can be tricked into playing VHS tapes by drilling holes, but the picture suffers; this is not the case with S-VHS.

As far as economics go, remember that you can record approximately 12 hours of video on a 5 hour D-VHS tape when using the LS3 speed--and the picture still rivals S-VHS. ;)

Cheers,
Peter M
post #5 of 14 Old 12-03-2001, 11:46 AM
Advanced Member

Hi Peter!
As I said during our telephone conversation, not only can one PLAY VHS tapes, but if the case has that special hole drilled in, one can RECORD in the S-VHS as well as in the DIGITAL mode! However, at the STD speed, I got a lot of artifacts during portions of the program material that required more bandwidth than it is possible with VHS tapes! I did not attempt to record in the LS3 mode using VHS tapes, though! I have made up my mind that I will be using only S-VHS tapes, which, thanks to your suggestion, are available from the Tape Warehouse at only $3.98 per tape plus shipping. I purchased the Fuji Prossumer variety in the 120-minute size. I am really happy to have this forum so that all of us can exchange ideas and relate our experiences with this fantastic machine! One of the features that some of the forum members may not be aware of is the conversion of composite as well as S video into component video! A satellite feed, for example (S or composite) can be fed to the JVC 30000 and converted by the machine into 480i component video and them fed to an HD monitor. Another feature is the internal conversion by this machine of the analog (right and left) audio into S/PDIF so that both channels can be fed to a receiver via a single optical connection. No audio cables are required. Well, that is enough for today. Peter! NetZero discontinued my internet subscription, so, please, make a note of my alternate e-mail address: mfardo@yahoo.com

Mauro
post #6 of 14 Old 12-03-2001, 03:11 PM
AVS Special Member

WOW! As usual you have a wealth of usable information for us, Mauro. Did you try the D-VHS tapes yet? If you have and finally decided to go the S-VHS route, then I guess the performance must be pretty close. And that will mean a substantial savings when considering the cost of D-VHS.

Heck, I can remember when blank VHS tapes were much heavier in weight and selling for twenty bucks each! We certainly have come a long way. :)

I will note your new e-mail address. Please keep in touch.
Peter M
post #7 of 14 Old 12-04-2001, 03:40 PM
Advanced Member

No, Peter, I just got my D-VHS tapes yesterday and have not tried any of them yet. Will do so and report as soon as I can. Did you notice the price of the JVC 420 D-VHS tape at ehe Warehouse? It is almost $18 each. I got the D-VHS 300 tapes, which are good for only 300 minutes at the STD speed. These were about $9 each, if I remember correctly. Anyway, it is indeed a great way to do serious recordings as well as transfer old ones from many old VHS recordings, just for the sake of sabing space. Let us keep in touch! Cheers!

Mauro
post #8 of 14 Old 12-04-2001, 04:21 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

The truth is:

The ONLY difference between D-VHS and S-VHS tapes is plastic covers that these tapes come with. There's absolutely NO difference in the formulation of the tapes themselves.

Save your money and buy just S_VHS tapes or even one-passed ones for less than $3.
post #9 of 14 Old 12-05-2001, 04:35 PM

Mauro -

I seem to remember reading a post that indicates that the conversion you speak of includes outputting playback of VHS or S-VHS tapes directly on the component outputs.

Is that correct? Does this include audio via S/PDIF as well?

Thanks

Peter
post #10 of 14 Old 12-06-2001, 11:58 AM
Advanced Member

Hi Peter D:
I added the D because I am always addressing the VideoNut as Peter. Last night I recorded a movie on my ReplayTV PVR box and today I played it back noticing that it has excellent video quality. I decided to archive the movie on a 5-hour D-VHS tape runing in the LS3 mode. Even as we "speak", I am playing back the movie through the component-video inputs of my RCA HDTV set. And I am using the optical S/PDIF output of the JVC 30000 to send the 2-channel audio portion of the recording to my Sony 935 receiver. The audio includes a lot of music, and I find the quality of reproduction quite acceptable to me. And I am sorry for having used so many words to answer your question: I enjoy being prolixious! Have you purchased a JVC 30000? I hope you do! And I also hope we can form a club or whatever so that all of us can exchange ideas, experiences, and (if it is legal) even recordings. Good luck to you!

Mauro
post #11 of 14 Old 12-06-2001, 12:43 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

The audio quality on the slowest speed Replay is VERY noisey and low fidelity. I presume your Replay recording was done on a medium or high speed.

So it would be very interesting to do an A/B comparison of the original and the dub to hear the difference... not just 'sound good' review.
post #12 of 14 Old 12-06-2001, 03:58 PM
AVS Special Member

>The ONLY difference between D-VHS and S-VHS tapes is plastic covers that these tapes come with. There's absolutely NO difference in the formulation of the tapes themselves.
>

So why does SVHS recordings made on my S9800U look like junk when made on modded VHS tapes (or in SVHS-ET modes) but look stellar on Fuji H471S tapes?

Answer : not all tape formulations are the same.
post #13 of 14 Old 12-06-2001, 09:27 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Of course there's BIG difference between SVHS and VHS tapes.. but there's NO difference between D-VHS and S-VHS. This is confirmed by an insider who works for one of the major tape manufacturers.
post #14 of 14 Old 12-07-2001, 12:09 AM

Mauro -

Thanks. That answers one of my questions about the deck (digitizing analog video to record and playback in DVHS).

What about when the tape itself was recorded as analog VHS (say you rented it from Blockbuster)? Is the video still output via the component output and the audio via the optical out?

PS - I don't have a DH30000, just several Panasonic HD1000s.

Peter
Closed Thread HDTV Recorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page