JVC DH-30000 vs. DTC-100 w/169time and Panasonic DH-1000 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 12-02-2001, 09:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well, this weekend I played around with my JVC D-ILA projector and a Japanese JVC DH-30000, plus my DTC-100 w/169time option and a Panny D-VHS deck.

It was interesting to note that on the D-ILA forum, the JVC rep noted that the component video feeds shouldn't be used for HDTV on the D-ILA because of poor internal scaling and display artifacts.

The Panny was hooked up to the DTC-100 w/169time option (play only for now), and into the JVC D-ILA via RGBHV.

The JVC DH-30000 was hooked up both (via a splitter) to the component video inputs, and also via a Key Digital YPbPr to RGBHV transcoder.

This is a ISF custom calibrated JVC D-ILA, and all settings were the same for each input.

Very interesting results...

For starter, just using component video w/JVC D-VHS, the picture was overly soft, dark, and lacking in detail and color. Messing around (just for the hell of it) with the internal projector picture controls yielded little if any improvement. I then hooked up a Nintendo Gamecube and Microsoft X-Box via component (480p) just for additional reference. Both devices also suffered from an overly soft and dark picture, even after messign with picture controls.

When running through the transcoder (RGBHV) the picture did a complete u-turn. Picture was not only brighter, but had more detail, less noise, and more saturated colors. This goes for all three devices.

In running the same tape through the JVC D-VHS and the Panny/DTC combo, the DTC-100 w/169time option yielded a noticeably sharper picture. In fact, I'd almost say the picture was too sharp. It enhanced the picture noise and MPEG-2 artifacts, but not so much that it ruined the picture. Text and diagonal lines yielded aliasing artifacts. But the picture from 12feet back was just incredibly sharp and detailed.

The JVC D-VHS looked great as well, but displayed a slightly softer picture. Practically absent were the aliasing/interlace artifacts, and the colors from the JVC were more saturated than the DTC-100 combo.

I had another forum member over (he can speak up if he likes, otherwise I am not volunteering names) who witnessed this as well. He may have more comments to add.

But in the end, I preferred the picture of the DTC-100 combo. I'm one who likes to see the bleeding edge of sharpness, and again the DTC-100/169time combo looked great.

But I'm still keeping the JVC D-VHS unit only because of the discovery in this forum of region coding.

Anyway, I haven't hooked up the Panny DST box to the projector (the F connector is being repaired) but the Panny/DTC combo is a winner in my book.

I'll wait till a few more options are fixed before sending the play unit back to Richard for upgrading to record unit.

-Brian

-> No longer looking for Hi-Vision LDs <-

(I buried that format finally)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 12-03-2001, 07:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Brian, just wondering what you are waiting for on your DTC100 unit? I have had zero issues with mine. The firmware now even has dual HD1000 support. I havent updated since I only have one HD1000.

Its been nice to see the DTC100 has been doing so well. I have yet to hear an issue from anyone who has the dtc100 or UM that has been modified for recording.

I know Richard is getting more units out as the orders or requests to ship from old orders are asked for. He is also doing more R&D for more stuff in the future. Thanks to the folks who are working with him loaning him various pieces of equipment to look at.

Dave
post #3 of 13 Old 12-05-2001, 09:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally posted by h2ofun
Brian, just wondering what you are waiting for on your DTC100 unit? I have had zero issues with mine. The firmware now even has dual HD1000 support.
When HDNet and possibly HBO-HD recording options are implemented, then I'll send my unit back. There's very little OTA programming I want to record.

I don't want to keep pulling my equipment and sending it back and forth for each upgrade. I'd prefer the next time to be the last time.

I also hate the look and menu system of the DTC-100, when will other boxes be supported? I prefer support of the Sony HD100 because it has both RGBHV and component outputs.

Any news on recording to DV tape?

-Brian

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 13 Old 12-05-2001, 10:17 AM
AVS Special Member

I wouldnt hold my breathe from any other type of STB. Its been tough enough to get the dtc100 working without any industry support.

169times priority I think is HDnet, then a newer D-VHS deck.

I dont know where the DV is but it is not first on the list.
But I believe it is still on the list.

Part of the reason it would be great that you got your unit updated to the record, would love to get your inputs on how it works in case you find something new.

There is only one wire that was soldered on so you could maybe do that yourself and just swap the board which is easy to do.

Just a thought.

dave
post #5 of 13 Old 12-05-2001, 01:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

There is only one wire that was soldered on so you could maybe do that yourself and just swap the board which is easy to do.
If a swap board can be sent to me, I'll do this.

I just don't want to have to box my unit up and ship it again, knowing that at any point I'm going to have to do that again.

So if you can arrange a board to be sent with instructions, I'll swap it out with the old board, and send the old boardset back.

It'd be great if future upgrades were just EPROM replacements instead of entire board swaps.

-Brian

post #6 of 13 Old 12-05-2001, 01:47 PM
AVS Special Member

The design doesnt do Eproms as you have seen.

You can call or send richard a note about what you want to do.
I think the process is you send him your board back and he will send you an updated one. Again, you have to have Richard tell you what the process is.

dave
post #7 of 13 Old 12-05-2001, 02:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I think the process is you send him your board back and he will send you an updated one.
Dave,

Considering the history of 169time I think it's time for them to trust us as much as we have trusted them. Richard should send Brian a record/play board and trust that Brian will return the play-only board. I know Brian; he's a friend of mine, and I know he would return the board.

-Roger
post #8 of 13 Old 12-05-2001, 02:57 PM
AVS Special Member

This is why I said call Richard. I dont know what his process is.
I may have guessed wrong on his process which again is why I recommend brian call Richard. I am doing my best but at the end of the day its just my best guess. I understand the trust concern which is valid.

Got your stuff yet.

dave
post #9 of 13 Old 12-05-2001, 03:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Dangerous question.;) Not yet. Richard said it would be this week, and I trust it will be so.

-Roger
post #10 of 13 Old 12-05-2001, 03:21 PM
AVS Special Member

BTW, I should comment on Brian's report at the start of this thread. I agree with everything he said and saw. His home theater is the best I've ever seen for reproduction of DVD's. For a while we were baffled because HD didn't look that much better on his system. I'd bring over my best HD demo tapes and they'd only look slightly better than DVD on his system.

Brian figured out what was wrong, and now, using the RGB input to his projector, tapes in the JVC DH30000 look great, and even better through the DTC100/169/HD1000.

Now that I've seen what can be done with a good projector, I have to say I'm really, really glad I started collecting DVHS tapes when I did.

-Roger
post #11 of 13 Old 12-05-2001, 04:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

I sent Richard (assuming he checks the 169time email) an email asking for a replacement board to be swapped out.

I'm not going to go through the downtime that I've endured just to get my unit back, and thus as Roger pointed out, I think it's only fair that a replacement be sent out prior to me sending my board back.

I can't call because Richard doesn't have set hours, and I'm always on the road. E-mail works best. At least forward my request off.

-Brian

post #12 of 13 Old 12-05-2001, 06:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Brian, I sent your note to Richard. Will do what I can to help ya.

Roger, sent you a private note. Your gifts may be there sooner than you think :o) Hoping for a full report :o)

dave
post #13 of 13 Old 12-05-2001, 07:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Just finished talking to Richard some more on this.

He told me for folks who have purchased the extended warranty, they will get a bypass board for free so they can put this into their units. This will keep it working while the board is sent in to be updated. He can not exchange since this would cause him to sell non new product which is a no no.

He does not have this boards at the moment.

dave
Closed Thread HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page