HDMI Capture on HTPC now possible with this card!? (HDTV / SD recording over HDMI) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 01-03-2008, 12:44 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Blackmagic Design released in 2006 there "Intensity PCI-Express HDMI Capture Card":

http://www.blackmagic-design.com/pro...ity/techspecs/

According to the people at BlackMagic it will not record HDCP encrypted material.

What we need is an "anydvd" type program that will allow this to work with HDCP encrypted material... although not BluRay and HD-DVD players (not advocating copying HiDef DVD's) but rather, something that could work with DishNetwork and DirectTV HD channels so we could backup TV shows to our HTPC's for future use.

[In particular, I have some HD sports broadcasts I'd like to backup for future personal viewing from a Dishnetwork HDTV PVR that is running out of space. As well, the hard drive could be damaged at any time thus taking my precious recordings with it so I'd like to safely back up these TV recordings...].

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Anyone know if there is a HDMI capture card available for HTPC's (Windows based) that would allow one to capture video through HDMI that is:

*REQUIREMENTS:

1) capture video at at NTSC 480i, 720p, or 1080i resolutions
2) would capture HDMI audio including 5.1 sources
3) could capture HDCP (or broadcast flag) encrypted materials

There is currently now stand-alone consumer electronics devices that can record video through HDMI in North America.

For those of us who don't own cable boxes like the infamous Motorola 64XX series (that has firewire capture) I was hoping their existed a HDMI-capture solution so we could backup some of our HD Television programs from dish network and direct TV.

Any news on current or upcoming products that can do the above 3 requirements?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 01-03-2008, 09:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Canuck1 View Post

What we need is an "anydvd" type program that will allow this to work with HDCP encrypted material...

You would need hardware, not software, to decrypt it before the signal reaches the Intensity card.
Quote:

There is currently now stand-alone consumer electronics devices that can record video through HDMI in North America.

You can pre-order the Gefen HD PVR, which will record HDMI supposedly.
post #3 of 12 Old 01-03-2008, 12:52 PM - Thread Starter

That Geffen product looks intersting:
http://www.gefen.com/kvm/product.jsp?prod_id=4306

but it doesn't specify whether it can copy HDCP-protected content, and there's know firewire/USB connection listed (For transferring perfect digital copies to one's computer).

Plus the price tag is listed at $1000, which I understand is neccessary because of the CPU processing power that is needed.

But the idea for getting a HDMI capture card for the computer is to keep costs down (by utilizing the computers processing power) and convenience for HTPC users since the video can be archived right on their computer.

I understand companies may be nervous about releasing this stuff because of the DMCA (and how a well paid creative lawyer can apply it to almost anything) but am suprised some Chinese or other foreign company hasn't designed the product...
post #4 of 12 Old 12-14-2008, 08:26 AM

I was hoping to see some comments posted on your question as i'm in the same situation. I have an old laptop that i would like to setup with BeyondTV, but want to capture the HD content that i currently get from DirecTV.

What confuses me is that all solutions that i have found will only allow capture of over-the-air HD broadcasts. The question that raises for me is, if I currently have an HDTV-DVR from DirecTV, why can't you simply direct the HDMI output from the receiver into an HDMI capture card? If my HDTV get's the HD signal that way, why can't a capture card? Maybe i'm just misunderstanding that the information available on capture card's assumes that you do not have (or want to keep) a Dish or DirecTV receiver and subscription? None of the information i have read goes into those details.

Another question i have is, assuming that a capture card with an HDMI input will deliver a DirecTV signal to the laptop, what kind of connection will i need to then output that signal to my HDTV for playback and viewing live TV? That would seem to require another HDMI output. But i don't recall seeing this on the capture cards. My laptop does, however, have a monitor output. I'm not sure what resolution that is capable of though.

A solution shouldn't be this hard, should it?

Quote:

Blackmagic Design released in 2006 there "Intensity PCI-Express HDMI Capture Card":

http://www.blackmagic-design.com/pro...ity/techspecs/

According to the people at BlackMagic it will not record HDCP encrypted material.

What we need is an "anydvd" type program that will allow this to work with HDCP encrypted material... although not BluRay and HD-DVD players (not advocating copying HiDef DVD's) but rather, something that could work with DishNetwork and DirectTV HD channels so we could backup TV shows to our HTPC's for future use.

[In particular, I have some HD sports broadcasts I'd like to backup for future personal viewing from a Dishnetwork HDTV PVR that is running out of space. As well, the hard drive could be damaged at any time thus taking my precious recordings with it so I'd like to safely back up these TV recordings...].

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Anyone know if there is a HDMI capture card available for HTPC's (Windows based) that would allow one to capture video through HDMI that is:

*REQUIREMENTS:

1) capture video at at NTSC 480i, 720p, or 1080i resolutions
2) would capture HDMI audio including 5.1 sources
3) could capture HDCP (or broadcast flag) encrypted materials

For those of us who don't own cable boxes like the infamous Motorola 64XX series (that has firewire capture) I was hoping their existed a HDMI-capture solution so we could backup some of our HD Television programs from dish network and direct TV.

Any news on current or upcoming products that can do the above 3 requirements?

Thanks.

post #5 of 12 Old 12-19-2008, 02:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
papayne-

You cannot capture the HDMI output of a DirecTV receiver onto a computer because DirecTV and its program suppliers do not want anyone to do that. That restriction is the whole point of HDCP. There are ways of recording HD signals from satellite-TV receivers, but they do not use the HDMI connections. Look at the R5000-HD discussions for details.

Chris

"It's [expletive] lame to watch Jaws, a film that uses the 2.40 ratio as well as any ever produced, in the wrong format on HBO." -Steven Soderbergh, Oscar-winning director

post #6 of 12 Old 12-21-2008, 11:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisW6ATV View Post

papayne-

You cannot capture the HDMI output of a DirecTV receiver onto a computer because DirecTV and its program suppliers do not want anyone to do that. That restriction is the whole point of HDCP. There are ways of recording HD signals from satellite-TV receivers, but they do not use the HDMI connections. Look at the R5000-HD discussions for details.

Can't you use this HD PVR http://www.hauppage.com/site/products/data_hdpvr.html
with a HdFury http://www.hdfury.com/???
post #7 of 12 Old 12-21-2008, 03:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Yes, by using those devices (or other combinations of digital-to-analog HD converters and the Hauppauge or other analog-input recorders), you can record HD, but the quality loss will probably be easily noticeable compared to all-digital recordings.

Chris

"It's [expletive] lame to watch Jaws, a film that uses the 2.40 ratio as well as any ever produced, in the wrong format on HBO." -Steven Soderbergh, Oscar-winning director

post #8 of 12 Old 12-22-2008, 11:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRedknight View Post

Can't you use this HD PVR http://www.hauppage.com/site/products/data_hdpvr.html
with a HdFury http://www.hdfury.com/???

I have the HD PVR. There is a little bit of a quality loss, but it's not too bad, and certainly worth living with since there is no other way to get material off a DVR in digital form. You can adjust the capture quality/bitrates so if space isn't a constraint, then at max bitrate the capture is pretty close to a bit by bit digital copy. But since the PVR uses MPEG4/H.264 you need a decent PC for playback. Even at full bitrate the size is close to half of MPEG2 based TS captures.
post #9 of 12 Old 12-24-2008, 11:54 AM

So I guess there are no emulators out there that can read a Dish formatted HD?
post #10 of 12 Old 12-24-2008, 02:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireLikeIYA View Post

So I guess there are no emulators out there that can read a Dish formatted HD?

"Emulators" have nothing to do with it. However, even *if* you had software to see the partitions and read the filesystem contained therein, I can guarantee with 99.9% certainty that the recordings stored on the disk are encrypted - so you can't just go copy the recording off the disk anyway. This isn't CSS - they use serious encryption these days, so an easy crack isn't likely. (Not impossible, but not likely.)
post #11 of 12 Old 01-04-2009, 11:54 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisW6ATV View Post

papayne-

This has been done by others and me personally with this card. I've done it over HDMI with the intensity pro using an H20 receiver. The main difference between this and the direct source is the black levels
post #12 of 12 Old 01-09-2009, 01:52 PM

You need a computer with RAID-0 (striped) HDDs to capture the HDMI output. Also HDMI audio is downsampled to 2 channels - (bummer). And you'll need to compress the captured HDMI stream to mpeg-4 in order to get it down to a practical size for archiving. HDCP encrypted content can not be captured.
Reply HDTV Recorders