Official AVS Motorola DCX series HD DVR Topic! - Page 104 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #3091 of 4780 Old 03-19-2011, 03:55 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just got a DCX 3501-M from Charter Cable here in Spartanburg, SC (replaced my Moxi, which died).

None of my external HDs have eSata ports, so I'm going to get a USB to eSata conversion cable this week. Anyone know if Charter has enabled the eSata port?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3092 of 4780 Old 03-19-2011, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by berkinet View Post

I have found a resolution to my issue: The 8016 "Video ProbeLinc" from Smarthome. When plugged into the "Audio Out Variable L/R audio (SDTV)" jack (rear panel) the output of the 8016 provides a simple open or close in synch with the power state of the DCX3400. This is suitable as an input for any electronics that accept a binary (open or closed) input. In my case I am using the Smarthome I/O-Linc to send a signal (powerline/Insteon) to a separate ApplianceLinc controller to power up/down the rest of my A/V equipment.

I have found an issue with this solution. For reasons I cannot determine the 8016 sends seemingly random periodic Off messages followed within 0-2 seconds by an On. This is probably due to some change in the audio output I am monitoring, but it could also be in the 8016. I was able to adjust for the apparent false Offs in my software (I wait a few seconds to see if an On appears before I actually turn things Off). But, There must be a better way. I can't believe no one else has tried to do this.
post #3093 of 4780 Old 03-19-2011, 02:09 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by clemsonfn View Post

Just got a DCX 3501-M from Charter Cable here in Spartanburg, SC (replaced my Moxi, which died).

You're sure you don't have the DCX3400-M? I didn't think the 35 family was to be available anywhere from Motorola until 3rd-quarter of 2011, but I may be wrong or they have changed their press release info. But I would have guessed you got the DCX3400-M. Does it say DCX3501-M on the front panel? How about on the white tape label on the underside bottom of the box? What do you show on that label?

Are you absolutely sure it's a 3501-M? Can you provide the software and firmware version you the box (press MENU twice to get to the main menu, navigate to Setup, navigate to Cable Box Setup, select the Configuration button. I believe firmware 24.07 is what is currently being seen on DCX3400-M boxes.

Quote:

None of my external HDs have eSata ports, so I'm going to get a USB to eSata conversion cable this week.

Do these actually work? Transparently? I'm not sure you should have 100% confidence that the DCX firmware will be able to use this USB drive as if it were a SATA drive.

Your best plan of action might be to invest very little money and buy a genuine new external SATA drive. These drives are very inexpensive now, and you'd likely have no technical problems with this true-SATA solution instead of a USB-to-SATA conversion cable solution for a USB drive.

But I may just be overly and unnecessarily pessimistic.

Quote:

Anyone know if Charter has enabled the eSata port?

Yes, it's up to the cable provider. The Motorola boxes have had SATA ports on them for some time now, starting with the DCX34xx family. There have been USB ports even going back to the DCH34xx family (if not also before that).

So theoretically, eSATA expansion could have been possible starting with the DCX34xx products. But NO US cable system that I know of has ever activated the SATA ports. They are active in Canada (Shaw Cable even sells 500MB/1TB external SATA extender drives for the DCX34xx boxes they also sell to their customers), but the US cable company rental model seems to not want to activate the external expansion capability for their subscribers.

Given that it's Charter, I'd honestly be surprised if they (out of all the US cable providers) have activated the SATA ports on any of their equipment. But if you really do have it, please report that here. Lots of people would be very excited if it were true.
post #3094 of 4780 Old 03-19-2011, 02:15 PM

I've got a DCX3501-M also from Charter, firmware 24.55 and software 78.50-A28p2-3,0911.R2.
Randy
post #3095 of 4780 Old 03-19-2011, 02:28 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by randu222 View Post

I've got a DCX3501-M also from Charter, firmware 24.55 and software 78.50-A28p2-3,0911.R2.
Randy

WOW! 24.55 is definitely NEW! And that is a very new A28 as well. Charter... hmmm. (almost redfaced, I report that TWC/LA is still using A28 software 78.44-A28p0-2.0908.r-4, which is the VERY ORIGINAL release from August 2009)

500Gb drive as expected?

Where are you located?

Have you even tried to use the SATA port? The Motorola press info on the box talks about the feature, but of course doesn't mention the fact that it's optionally activated by the cable provider.

You wouldn't happen to have a DVHS VCR as well, would you? I'm still trying to learn if these very latest firmware releases 24.xx now appearing in DCX34xx (and the apparently real and available DCX35xx) have done anything to resolve the long-standing firewire recording issue that's been with us since the DCX3400 first made its appearance last year.
post #3096 of 4780 Old 03-19-2011, 03:24 PM

See attached pics.
LL
LL
post #3097 of 4780 Old 03-19-2011, 04:01 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by clemsonfn View Post

See attached pics.

Indeed!

Absolutely a DCX3501-M! Obviously the "3rd-quarter 2011" supposed availability fact I'd seen was not correct. Or I misinterpreted what I read.

Anyway, another one from Charter.

Looks like a wide-open deployment around the country, at least in areas with Motorola infrastructure. I have a friend here in LA who lives in a Charter area but it's in a Scientific Atlanta infrastructure. So unless they're also making a widespread conversion of head-end capability, I wouldn't think this is an option here. Only the old SA8300HD.
post #3098 of 4780 Old 03-19-2011, 04:38 PM

I'm located in Northern lower Michigan and yes it is a 500 mb drive. I have not tried to hook up an external drive to it yet.
Randy
post #3099 of 4780 Old 03-19-2011, 04:49 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

I'm located in Northern lower Michigan and yes it is a 500 mb drive. I have not tried to hook up an external drive to it yet.

Do they also offer the DCX3200-M "satellite" receiver for your other rooms? Did you go with this multi-room arrangement in your home, getting a second "client" box to match?

That's really what this "M" architecture is all about. And having "record once, watch anywhere", is a great feature long lusted after by cable customers. It's been available with HTPC's and Windows Media Center for a long time.
post #3100 of 4780 Old 03-19-2011, 05:02 PM

"Do they also offer the DCX3200-M "satellite" receiver for your other rooms? Did you go with this multi-room arrangement in your home, getting a second "client" box to match?

That's really what this "M" architecture is all about. And having "record once, watch anywhere", is a great feature long lusted after by cable customers. It's been available with HTPC's and Windows Media Center for a long time.
Today 07:38 PM"

That feature is not yet available is our area yet although they say it is coming soon.. I have two DCX3501-M's that I use now. I wish I could hook them up like Directv does to be able to watch either DVR from each other and have 4 tuners available.
Randy
post #3101 of 4780 Old 03-19-2011, 05:23 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSperber View Post

Indeed!

Absolutely a DCX3501-M! Obviously the "3rd-quarter 2011" supposed availability fact I'd seen was not correct. Or I misinterpreted what I read.

Anyway, another one from Charter.

Looks like a wide-open deployment around the country, at least in areas with Motorola infrastructure. I have a friend here in LA who lives in a Charter area but it's in a Scientific Atlanta infrastructure. So unless they're also making a widespread conversion of head-end capability, I wouldn't think this is an option here. Only the old SA8300HD.

DS:

Please refresh my memory about any advantage between our DCX3400-M units and the new DCX3501-M ... Thanks
post #3102 of 4780 Old 03-19-2011, 06:12 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by George-O View Post

Please refresh my memory about any advantage between our DCX3400-M units and the new DCX3501-M ... Thanks

I only know what I read in that press release. I haven't found an actual user manual.

Also, it looks like I was mistaken about availability. It WAS stated as "3rd-quarter 2010", not 2011 as I had initially remembered.

--------------------------------------------------------

integrated MoCA® home networking interface, which allows it to serve as a multimedia hub for sharing content with other compatible devices in the home, creating an IP home network. This feature provides consumers ultimate control and flexibility over their media choices, viewing interest and entertainment lifestyles while providing access to their digital content in any room of their home, any time they want it.

the new reduced-profile Motorola DCX3501-M is a cost-effective set-top capable of supporting full 1080p60 high-definition output.

The Motorola DCX3501-M also offers advanced performance to support cable operators' applications. It is compatible with Motorola's DCT legacy software API set and is OCAP (tru2way®)-capable for compatibility with both new and already deployed applications.

It includes an internal 500GB hard drive in a new design, allowing easy upgrade and replacement by the cable operator. DVR expansion is also supported via the external hard disk drives (eSATA). This feature gives cable operators the ability to allow consumers to select their external hard drive of choice, easily enabling 1TB or more of storage.

It supports MPEG-2 and MPEG-4 AVC high-definition video, Dolby® Digital Plus and Dolby Volume intelligent multi-channel audio leveling.

The Motorola DCX3501-M also supports the new software enhancements previously announced by Motorola for 3DTV video and graphics processing in the set-top prior to being delivered to the 3DTV-capable television for a high-quality consumer experience.

The device is 33 percent lighter than previous models, requiring less material in development, yet it delivers industry-leading performance to consumers. The DCX3501-M is the first set-top to use post-consumer recycled plastic and is a significant environmental innovation. The packaging is 100 percent recyclable, uses 75 percent recycled-content cardboard and is marked with standard recycling codes to help make it easier for customers to identify recycling opportunities.

The new Motorola DCX3501-M set-top is designed to meet the U.S. EPA's latest ENERGY STAR standard for 2011 with reduced power consumption and standby modes. The DCX-3501-M is also the first set-top in the industry to use a product bezel built with 30 percent post-consumer recycled plastic. The Motorola DCX3501-M is also designed to be in compliance with the European Restriction on Hazardous Substances (RoHS).
post #3103 of 4780 Old 03-19-2011, 06:17 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Does comcast have this new box
post #3104 of 4780 Old 03-19-2011, 07:31 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Since this is clearly the latest and greatest firmware, is there anything different on what I call the "hardware setup menu", i.e. Power-off->MENU?

In particular, I'm curious what they mean when they say support is present for 1080p on the DCX3501. Does that mean you could choose 1080p as one of the available fixed output resolutions, so that the box would upconvert 480i, 720p and 1080i to 1080p for output? Or is the highest fixed output resolution (for up-conversion) still 1080i?

1080p has been available on the DCX3400 but only as a pass-through resolution, though it's unclear what that means. Since no current TV content is higher than 1080i (is ESPN3D at 1080p??) limiting the output fixed resolutions to 1080i doesn't really seem like a limitation.

But you COULD check 1080p to indicate your set could accept that output resolution, if somehow there was native 1080p content to just deliver at that resolution. I guess that's what they mean, with 1080i as the highest up-convert resolution but 1080p if available would be passed through.

I guess that's what "native" also would do (and even for the DCX3400 I'm guessing, where 1080p was a checkable box for acceptable), where nothing gets converted anyway and is always sent out as it is received. This would no doubt also include 1080p programs.

Also, I wonder how 24.55 works with the problematic HDMI-through-AVR connections. Have they actually finally got that one straightened out, or not yet (and thus probably never)?

Does "native" still get lost if you don't power DCX3501, AVR and HDTV on or off in the proper sequence?
post #3105 of 4780 Old 03-19-2011, 08:37 PM

Since this is my first time with a charter DVR, I don't have any reference to the 3400. I am also just running the audio through the AVR and not the video. I use the hdmi cable for the video to the TV. No problems there.
Randy
post #3106 of 4780 Old 03-20-2011, 11:04 AM

I have problems fast forwarding on Fox and ABC since I got this dvr. The screen goes black so I cannot see when to stop fast forwarding. Any solution for this? Thanks.
post #3107 of 4780 Old 03-20-2011, 01:39 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by spreidel23 View Post

I have problems fast forwarding on Fox and ABC since I got this dvr. The screen goes black so I cannot see when to stop fast forwarding. Any solution for this? Thanks.

Please provide some more details... model of DCX box, cable company, location, HDTV brand/model, do you use an AVR between DCX and HDTV or HDMI straight from DCX to HDTV, etc..

Also, what software and firmware versions are on your DCX box? (press MENU twice to get to the main menu, navigate to Setup, navigate to Cable Box Setup, select the Configuration button to display both software and firmware versions)

Also, what kind of remote do you have (description, color, perhaps even manufacturer and model from the back or perhaps a label inside the battery compartment)?

To answer your question, there is an alternative approach to using FF, if what you're trying to do is skip through commercials, or even to navigate through the program.

The PAGE UP and PAGE DOWN buttons on the remote are pre-programmed to be 5-minute skips, backward and forward. Pressing them repeatedly would quickly get you through the program in discrete chunks 5-minutes at a time.

Also, almost certainly you can program your remote to have a 30-second skip forward function (which is not pre-programmed into the remote, but which you can install yourself into any key you want... usually picking a spare, unused, unassigned key that is convenient and easily reached instinctively by your fingers in the dark).

Almost all remotes for the DCX box already have a pre-programmed 15-second skip backward function (usually it's the backward-curlicue button), for moving backward just a bit at a time if you overshoot your mark with one of the other keys (5-minute skip forward, or 30-second skip forward).

Again, these are just alternatives to using FF and F-REW which you may not have known about but which are definitely features you might want to try.
post #3108 of 4780 Old 03-20-2011, 05:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by spreidel23 View Post

Those two broadcast networks are 720p (the rest are 1080i)...Maybe if you forced the cable box to output 1080i, it would fix the issue.
post #3109 of 4780 Old 03-22-2011, 03:05 PM

Just swapped my DCH3416 for a DCX3400, all set with the bigger HD for the new F1 season.
post #3110 of 4780 Old 03-22-2011, 05:16 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Wrong topic but

I got comcast triple play a few weeks ago

I canceled triple play the second day

I returned the modem they sent

Today i received a wireless router via ups
Netgear

Is this thing free? No monthly fee?

They didn't tell me anything about this
post #3111 of 4780 Old 03-22-2011, 06:10 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by TatorTot View Post

Wrong topic

You betcha', but some more details would be helpful to answer your question below.

Quote:

I got comcast triple play a few weeks ago

I canceled triple play the second day

What did you have before the tripleplay, and what did you go back to?

Did you keep one or two of the three parts? Which one(s) do you still have, if you still are with Comcast?

Quote:

I returned the modem they sent

Well, the modem could have been for internet cable, so maybe you discontinued internet.

Also, the modem could have supported telephone, so maybe you discontinued telephone.

Or, if they had sent you a second Arris modem for telephone and you already had a Motorola or Arris modem for internet, maybe you disconnected telephone but kept internet. So you would still have 2 of the 3 parts of the tripleplay.

The cable coax would go directly to your [presumably] DCX box (which is why you're on this thread) and doesn't need a modem. So you presumably still have [at least] cable TV from Comcast.

And maybe you still have either phone or internet, or none, but not both (else you'd still be on tripleplay).

Quote:

Today i received a wireless router via ups
Netgear

Did you ask for it? Why would they just send it to you?

Quote:

Is this thing free? No monthly fee?

No idea. I own my own router, bought in a store. Why rent from Comcast when you can just buy your own?

Quote:

They didn't tell me anything about this

Maybe they misunderstood your cancellation of the triplecast situation.

Did you ask for it? Do you have any plans for it? Do you need it... do you have a wireless laptop or other desktop machines that you want to share your [presumably] still existing cable modem (so you probably returned that second Arris telephony modem, and kept your existing internet modem... which Comcast thought you wanted a router for, and thus sent it to you)?

Nothing's free, so I'd guess there is a fee... if you keep it.

If you want a router, go to Fry's or Best Buy or Amazon and buy one.
post #3112 of 4780 Old 03-23-2011, 04:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 31
I seem to have a new issue with my DCX3400. I watched a show on Monday that was recorded on Sunday and after watching the show I thought I had deleted it from the DVR. Then on Tuesday evening I checked My Recordings and the same show was there. I thought it just re-recorded the show. When I select delete, it asks to confirm, I say yes, and yet it still is present in the DVR. I tied the other method by going to Manage My DVR and selecting the show and deleting but yet it will not go away. I have not rebooted the DVR nor am I sure if the free space on the hard drive was changed after I deleted said program. So maybe it was deleted but the name of the show will not go away. I tried a search in this thread but did not find anything that was similar. Maybe this is a new issue?

Hometheatergeek

aka AL
----------
My Current System
post #3113 of 4780 Old 03-23-2011, 06:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by hometheatergeek View Post

I seem to have a new issue with my DCX3400. I watched a show on Monday that was recorded on Sunday and after watching the show I thought I had deleted it from the DVR. Then on Tuesday evening I checked My Recordings and the same show was there. I thought it just re-recorded the show. When I select delete, it asks to confirm, I say yes, and yet it still is present in the DVR. I tied the other method by going to Manage My DVR and selecting the show and deleting but yet it will not go away. I have not rebooted the DVR nor am I sure if the free space on the hard drive was changed after I deleted said program. So maybe it was deleted but the name of the show will not go away. I tried a search in this thread but did not find anything that was similar. Maybe this is a new issue?

You have to unplug the DVR. Then when it comes back on, you will be able to delete the show. Not sure why it happens, but I have had it happen a few times.
post #3114 of 4780 Old 03-23-2011, 07:01 AM
AVS Special Member

^^ Thx for the heads up. Like always if all else fails use a shotgun to the electronics....

Hometheatergeek

aka AL
----------
My Current System
post #3115 of 4780 Old 03-23-2011, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hometheatergeek View Post

^^ Thx for the heads up. Like always if all else fails use a shotgun to the electronics....

No don't do that, you'll end up like this guy

http://www.reuters.com/article/2010/...6AE3Z320101117

lol
post #3116 of 4780 Old 03-23-2011, 01:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Arthur View Post

No don't do that, you'll end up like this guy

http://www.reuters.com/article/2010/...6AE3Z320101117

lol

Funny stuff there. I was sort of thinking about that story when I wrote my post.

Hometheatergeek

aka AL
----------
My Current System
post #3117 of 4780 Old 03-23-2011, 05:16 PM

I've had the DCX3400 250 gb for about 3 months and have had problems from day one.I will be using the channel up or down button and it will switch to channel 2 or go to 0.The remote will take 2,3 or 4 times of pushing a button before it will do what I wanted.I will be using frame by frame and the recording will just stop.Is it the remote or bugs in the box? and yes I changed the batteries
post #3118 of 4780 Old 03-24-2011, 05:46 PM

If anybody else on here who has the DCX3501-M, have any problems getting it set up as for the correct channel map and should have the word "Yes" for IPPV? On Wednesday of this week I got the DCX3501-M, I got only 2 errors after setting it up. The first error is the wrong channel mapped to my channel lineup. The second error I got was the word "No" for IPPV in the "Review Configuration" screen and I'm not behind in my cable bill at all. So far I like the DCX3501-M. Any suggestions on how to get it so I won't have to call a phone number when ordering Pay-Per-View Events (mainly WWE PPVs)?

Jed "Freddy" Raybould
post #3119 of 4780 Old 03-30-2011, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by berkinet View Post

Has anyone figured out how to detect if the DCX3400-M is "On" or "Off"? I would like to control other equipment based on the On state.

So far I've tried:
1) The external power connector. Unfortunately, this is always on, regardless of the software setting.

2) Detect current usage with "Auto Power Strip". Unfortunately. there is no significant change in the unit's current draw between On and Off.

3) Detect power on the USB connector. Again, like the power connector, USB power seems to be always on.

The only thing I haven't tried is a photo-detector placed over the power LED. I know this will work, but it is ugly (visually and technically) so I was woneding if anyone else has solved this problem?

your question is puzzling but ok...
with comcast firmware go to setup>cable box setup> turn ac outlet to switched
post #3120 of 4780 Old 03-30-2011, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanii19 View Post

Hey guys, I dont know really how to explain this but I have a DCX3400 hooked up to my lcd tv and notice that when watching TV the colors seem to "adjust", liek if there is a blue part on the screen it will sorta change colors. Make sense? Could this be an issue with my HDMI or LCD tv? or the cable box?

turn any dynamic setting on your tv off?
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page