post #301 of 4780 Old 08-07-2009, 11:33 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by stretch437 View Post

when you pause your DCH (using 1080i out) does it not look jaggy and crappy?

i think if you were comparing settings based solely on how they handle the "pause" command you would choose 720p.

I once tried comparing the "stills" between different resolutions and remember later reading somewhere that a "still" is not representative of the true jaggedness seen on edges in "i" mode ..... Maybe someone here with more technical savy can elaborate.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #302 of 4780 Old 08-07-2009, 12:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

when you pause your DCH (using 1080i out) does it not look jaggy and crappy?

i think if you were comparing settings based solely on how they handle the "pause" command you would choose 720p.

I really don't care about what it looks like when paused. I care about what it looks like during playback. I have my screen saver set to 1 minute anyway.
post #303 of 4780 Old 08-08-2009, 09:23 AM

Tried to get one in Houston but they only have the Cisco/SA boxes - has anyone had luck getting one or know if Houston will be getting them? I have seen discussion stating that Comcast is going either SA/Cisco or Motorola in their areas. Not certain if this is even true.
post #304 of 4780 Old 08-08-2009, 09:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo222 View Post

Tried to get one in Houston but they only have the Cisco/SA boxes - has anyone had luck getting one or know if Houston will be getting them? I have seen discussion stating that Comcast is going either SA/Cisco or Motorola in their areas. Not certain if this is even true.

Houston Comcast plant is Cisco/SA, so you will only see STB based on cisco/SA used there.

Motorola Based STB can not be used on a Cisco/SA plant. For Houston Comcast to switch out the Plant / Headend equipment would cost $$$$$$$$$.

---------------------------
Comcast of Lebanon PA.
post #305 of 4780 Old 08-09-2009, 05:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by scanpa View Post

Houston Comcast plant is Cisco/SA, so you will only see STB based on cisco/SA used there.

Motorola Based STB can not be used on a Cisco/SA plant. For Houston Comcast to switch out the Plant / Headend equipment would cost $$$$$$$$$.

nope they have the SA overlay system it duplicates the motorola CA and SA CA.

so they have GI/Motorola nodes and DCT2000's and DCT2500's and SA4250 SA4250HDC SA8000 SA8000HD SA8300 SA8300HD SA8300HDC RNG200. Note: the motorola DCT5100 and DCT6200 are no longer used in Houston because of no longer supporting Dual HD CA. Plus they push out to 777MHz 64QAM.

My market a former Comcast market now has 870MHz motorola nodes and DCX3200 and DCX3432 also the DCX3432 has 256MB ram and 64MB flash.

Twc now serves north texas the former comcast texas area. our area does have 1 system that is at 750MHz but it is a rural area(greenville and commerce TX). that system has less HD(18) not 51 HD like the metro area, no vod, only ESPN PPV sports package small spanish tier, digital simulcast,H.S.I, digital phone, 68 analogs (metro has 81 analogs includes ch120 for testing)they dont have ESPN2HD they might still have qam64 channels unlike the metro that went all 256qam in 2006.

here is their channel lineup

http://www.timewarnercable.com/custo...5&Image1=&Zip=

missing that the metro has
boomerang
nicktoons
espnu
cbs college sports
chiller
cnn international
gol tv
espn deportes
ovation
MAVTV HD
multimedios
cspan 3
lifetime real women
gems tv
wize buys
tennis ch
fuel tv
mlb network
fox business
la familia
sorpresa
zee tv
tv asia
iatv
tv one
logo
metro sports
sportsman channel
pbs kids sprout
gospel music channel
NBA TV
Big Ten Network
plus 32 HD channels

they do have some premium west coast feeds that the metro does not.
post #306 of 4780 Old 08-09-2009, 07:44 AM

Isn't there another thread for this cable system advertising?
post #307 of 4780 Old 08-09-2009, 09:44 AM

Probably closer to a dozen, rhassle.
post #308 of 4780 Old 08-09-2009, 04:04 PM

Hi all,

I also have a DCX3400 running the 22.35 firmware, but I am still experiencing the "Green Screen of Death" HDMI HDCP handshake issue. I have tried power cycling / various HDMI cable unplugs, etc., but can never get a correct sync.

My current setup is: DCX3400 --> Denon AVR4310ci --> Sharp 52SB55U LCD.

If I bypass the receiver and go directly to the TV via HDMI, I experience no issue - everything displays correctly.

Just trying to see if the 22.35 FW update solved EVERYONE'S HDMI HDCP issues, or if there are still others that are having issues like me?!

TIA!
post #309 of 4780 Old 08-09-2009, 04:43 PM

Been having a little trouble getting my little emitter to conrol the DCX3400. Could someone kindly point out the location of the remote sensor on the front of this box?

Thanks.
post #310 of 4780 Old 08-09-2009, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plimsoul View Post

Been having a little trouble getting my little emitter to conrol the DCX3400. Could someone kindly point out the location of the remote sensor on the front of this box?

Thanks.

Per this page at Motorola: https://broadband.custhelp.com/cgi-b...i=&p_topview=1 it is located above and to the right of the "Channel Up" Button.
post #311 of 4780 Old 08-09-2009, 08:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBoost View Post

Hi all,

I also have a DCX3400 running the 22.35 firmware, but I am still experiencing the "Green Screen of Death" HDMI HDCP handshake issue. I have tried power cycling / various HDMI cable unplugs, etc., but can never get a correct sync.

My current setup is: DCX3400 --> Denon AVR4310ci --> Sharp 52SB55U LCD.

If I bypass the receiver and go directly to the TV via HDMI, I experience no issue - everything displays correctly.

Just trying to see if the 22.35 FW update solved EVERYONE'S HDMI HDCP issues, or if there are still others that are having issues like me?!

TIA!

I still have 22.31 so Im wondering when I will get the 22.35 update.
post #312 of 4780 Old 08-09-2009, 10:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin120 View Post

I still have 22.31 so Im wondering when I will get the 22.35 update.

Just a guess, but maybe at 2:00 AM your local time on August 19, 2009? However, all I can do is guess. Maybe your cable provider knows? .... Although I would not hold my breath on that either.
post #313 of 4780 Old 08-10-2009, 07:50 AM

I'm in Central NJ, Comcast customer, picked up a new DCX 3400 a few weeks ago. All was good until presumably Comcast pushed 22.35 down, and then I suddenly started receiving a blue screen with the HDCP Authentication Error message. Video in 480p appears for 10 seconds, no audio, and then the screen goes blank.

Colin
post #314 of 4780 Old 08-10-2009, 08:41 PM

Does anyone have the remote codes for the Motorola DCX3200? I am trying to control the DCX3200 with a USB-UIRT to for SageTV. I tried using IRHelper testing program, which can learn the codes, but the codes transmitted by the IRHelper cannot control the Motorola DCX3200. I can control other set top boxes, but haven't been able to figure out the remote codes yet.

Dave
post #315 of 4780 Old 08-10-2009, 09:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Just today I got a DCX-3400 (SF Bay Area), with FW 22.31. HDMI out to a RS20 projector, doing 'Native'. Everything has been working fine, and I find the PQ to be noticeably better than with my previous DCH box, at least on the good HD channels; colors are richer and overall pic more striking.
post #316 of 4780 Old 08-10-2009, 10:40 PM
Advanced Member

at last! glad to hear it's working out for you so far.

just out of curiosity do you have any opinion on whether or not smooth gradations of color (or gray for that matter) exhibit more banding with this box than with the DCH box?

that is the one great unanswered question for me- i'm definitely seeing more "banding" with this box than i see if i patch around it and use my own QAM tuner to decode the exact same cable feed.

so i'm wondering if it's unique to my setup or if anyone else notices this either.

for those who are intending to move from a DCH to a DCX i'd love it hear your before-and-after observations with respect to smooth gradients. of course this means any future upgraders would need to not only know what they are looking for but actually make a note of how gradients look now *before* an upgrade and then look at very comparable material *after* the new box comes. this might not be realistic ...
post #317 of 4780 Old 08-11-2009, 07:37 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

at last! glad to hear it's working out for you so far.

just out of curiosity do you have any opinion on whether or not smooth gradations of color (or gray for that matter) exhibit more banding with this box than with the DCH box?

that is the one great unanswered question for me- i'm definitely seeing more "banding" with this box than i see if i patch around it and use my own QAM tuner to decode the exact same cable feed.

so i'm wondering if it's unique to my setup or if anyone else notices this either.

for those who are intending to move from a DCH to a DCX i'd love it hear your before-and-after observations with respect to smooth gradients. of course this means any future upgraders would need to not only know what they are looking for but actually make a note of how gradients look now *before* an upgrade and then look at very comparable material *after* the new box comes. this might not be realistic ...

I haven't noticed any banding, but haven't looked carefully for it. But I will.
post #318 of 4780 Old 08-11-2009, 02:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I couldn't find any way of dimming the display window of the DCX; is there not such a possibility?
post #319 of 4780 Old 08-11-2009, 02:17 PM

Has anyone tried using firewire with the DCX STBs yet? I use it fairly often on my DCH box and would hate to lose that feature.
post #320 of 4780 Old 08-11-2009, 02:42 PM
Advanced Member

I just got this box today to replace an older comcast motorola DVR and I am having serious trouble getting this box to properly activate for my account and download all the data... is this a common problem?

I have had this thing plugged in for close to 6 hours now. It wont let me see any channels over 100+ and none of the HD channels. In addition the guide says "To Be Announced", for all channels, even after 6 hours. Also, the expensive pay channels like HBO, etc... it says "you need to contact your cable provider to activate this device"... all in dark red text with a white background and gives my card number and mac address etc etc.

I heard a reference on another forum around the net that said someone got an activation code along with their box to activate the equipment (they called someone to activate it). I did not get anything like that (I am with comcast).. was I missing this documentation? Those of you with comcast did you have to call to activate some code?

Anyone else have any tips I can try here.. I did all the obvious stuff like power cycling, removing power cord, asking for them to reset the box as well as initialize it from comcast's end even waiting patiently for nearly 6 hours now. Still not luck. Currently Currently I am trying something new...I have my box turned off (but still connected) and I am sure this will have zero effect either, but i am giving it a shot for next 1-2 hours. The people at comcast seem to be clueless as well which means next stop is a visit from tech. (which probably means different box)

I really would hate to lose a brand new box to go back to an older DVR (especially because these are in high demand and i literally got the last one in stock)

Thanks for help!

Onkyo TX SR705 FAQ

BLU RAY ◊ 196 Movies
XBOX 360 ◊ 53 Games
PLAYSTATION 3 ◊ 25 Games
post #321 of 4780 Old 08-11-2009, 02:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

woots: When I first plugged in my new DCX, I got 'no signal' on the screen, and no response from the remote. So I unplugged the power cord (of the DCX) for ~ a minute, then plugged it back in, and everything came to life.
post #322 of 4780 Old 08-11-2009, 02:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by millerwill View Post

woots: When I first plugged in my new DCX, I got 'no signal' on the screen, and no response from the remote. So I unplugged the power cord (of the DCX) for ~ a minute, then plugged it back in, and everything came to life.

Thx for the quick reply.. i have done full power cycling already (even unplugged).

I am getting access to television it just seems like basic cable only. Almost as if it has not activated for my account and turned everything good on? Its lacking all channel 100+ stuff... which is everything

Side note I do get 803 and 804 which are the HD versions of channels 3 and 4 (which are basic network channels) I assume these come with HD box + standard cable these days?

Onkyo TX SR705 FAQ

BLU RAY ◊ 196 Movies
XBOX 360 ◊ 53 Games
PLAYSTATION 3 ◊ 25 Games
post #323 of 4780 Old 08-11-2009, 03:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by woots View Post

Thx for the quick reply.. i have done full power cycling already (even unplugged).

I am getting access to television it just seems like basic cable only. Almost as if it has not activated for my account and turned everything good on? Its lacking all channel 100+ stuff... which is everything

Side note I do get 803 and 804 which are the HD versions of channels 3 and 4 (which are basic network channels) I assume these come with HD box + standard cable these days?

OK, you're ahead of me already. If you're simply replacing an older dvr with this newer one, and not opening a new account, then I agree that you shouldn't need any 'activation' of the acct. But with CC one is never sure!
post #324 of 4780 Old 08-11-2009, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wangsdeli View Post

I noticed there is an external IR input on the rear of the unit. I have a SlingBox and wanted to see if it were possible to wire it so that the IR output on that goes to the input on the DCX3400. Anyone know?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattw22 View Post

You can wire your slingbox directly into the IR port on the back and it will respond to commands. I don’t notice a large difference between directly wiring it and using the mouse emitters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDRbone View Post

Any advice on type of cable (mono vs stereo) used for that IR input? I'm unable to have any success with my URC repeater.

I am also interested in doing this but I don't know what type of cable to use. Does anyone know or can provide a link to one? Does monoprice sell them?
post #325 of 4780 Old 08-11-2009, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woots View Post

hope i'm not too late.

your device needs activated.. they should have told you how to do it when you picked it up... Your probably getting not authorized on all other channels correct?

i'm not sure if i can pm, being new to this site and all, but if you haven't got it up and running yet you can pm me your number and i should be able to send an activation to it(i'm a tech for comcast)

i just put mine in today.
was hoping the native option would give a little better pq... but so far i haven't noticed much improvement...
post #326 of 4780 Old 08-11-2009, 05:56 PM

Liked: 15
I just go this new dvr last night and want to use the Native mode. I have a problem. Using the native mode all the 4x3 material is streched. If I go back to 1081i and 4x3 override it is in the correct aspect ratio. Switching to Native mode greys out the option to use 4x3 override. Does anyone know how to get around this?
post #327 of 4780 Old 08-12-2009, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guapote View Post

I just go this new dvr last night and want to use the Native mode. I have a problem. Using the native mode all the 4x3 material is streched. If I go back to 1081i and 4x3 override it is in the correct aspect ratio. Switching to Native mode greys out the option to use 4x3 override. Does anyone know how to get around this?

Disable 480i and 480p in the menu where it asks what resolutions your tv can support
post #328 of 4780 Old 08-12-2009, 05:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Ok so I finally got my DCX3400 yesterday. All was well until...I powered up my equipment and noticed that when I power down my TV there is a HDMI handshake that resets my HDMI options and resets me back to 720p and a bunch or resolutions I don't want on and my 4:3 override will not stick. It does 2 HDMI handshakes when I power up the TV. So I get to reset things to 1080i every time I watch TV. If I leave it in the default mode, I randomly get stretched 4:3 content for no rhyme or reason. Quite annoying, but the format button (if I happen to be recording or in OnDemand) does the trick (I wish there was a remote code for that button). Or I can just go into the 16:9 menu every time I turn it on.

I called Comcast to report this a a firmware problem. My box goes to my Denon AVR-1909 that has direct HDMI pass-thru before it goes to the TV (last years Sammy DLP 50"), so there could be something up there. The first dude I spoke to told me that all Comcast content is sent 720P, which I know is incorrect (at least I hope that is not the case) since I can set to native (that does not stick) and I get programs at their native broadcast resolutions. The dude I was speaking to was with the voice/phone group and obviously had no clue. He said he would report the problem, but stood by his claim that Comcast only broadcasts HD in 720p I then spoke to a cable lady and she was much more helpful and suggested that I may have a bad unit. I am running the latest 22.35 firmware, which I understand to be the latest code. They are coming tomorrow to swap to see if they can fix it. We will see what happens, you never know with theses things.

Anyone else having this problem. I could not find any posts about it in this thread, need to check the AVR-1909 thread.

Sadly they took my DCH-3416 away and I don't think they will give out the old units anymore, so I'm stuck with this POS. I don't understand why HDMI is such an issue with Moto, it is not like they have not been supporting it since almost day one. The HDMI code in the 3416 was rock solid and I NEVER had a problem with it.
post #329 of 4780 Old 08-12-2009, 08:09 PM
AVS Special Member

POS to you, I suppose. For me, it's been pretty flawless. PQ is better as well I think.

But, I agree that Mot should do a better job implementing HDMI.
post #330 of 4780 Old 08-12-2009, 08:22 PM
Advanced Member

I used to have this issue awhile ago with a DCH and a video processor. It went away when the manufacturer of the video processor released a firmware update. It wasn't really the DVR's fault - sort of a survival mechanism for dealing with unexpected EDID behavior - although I will say it's a pretty annoying state of affairs when your existing device is one of the ones that induces this behavior

try a different display and see if it's still happening. If that's not possible you may want to just go into the local comcast office and do a swap for a different box
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page