post #3271 of 4816 Old 05-21-2011, 02:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocCasualty View Post
I have had the DCX3501-M (FW: 24.55, S/W Ver: 78.50-a28p2-3.0911.r-2) for over a week and have not seen any of these issues described here.
Our 6412 was flawless in recording. The 2 6412 models we have in Florida have been flawless. They all had/have the well known "slow reaction time to remote commands at times.
Just had the "black screen recording" problem lst nite. We have the 3400M, so maybe that's been improved w. your model?

I forgot how to access the s/w ver. I know how to get to the diagnostics menu and the "main" menu.

...mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3272 of 4816 Old 05-21-2011, 02:52 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by snidely View Post
I forgot how to access the s/w ver. I know how to get to the diagnostics menu and the "main" menu.
It's located in the SETUP item, reached through the MENU dialog.

(1) With the unit currently powered on, press MENU, and then either select the HOME ("main menu") icon on the iconbar to get to the main menu, or just press the MENU button a second time to get to the main menu directly.

(2) Navigate down on the main menu (using the down-arrow key) to the second page, where you can see the SETUP item, select it and and push OK.

(3) Navigate to CABLE BOX SETUP and push OK.

(4) Navigate down to the "configuration" item which shows "SELECT TO DISPLAY" in the button, and push OK. You will be shown the "review configuration" details, including "S/W" and "firmware" versions.

(5) "Firmware level" is shown in the lower portion of the second column. "S/W" version is on the top row.
post #3273 of 4816 Old 05-21-2011, 04:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Went to their online chat CS function to complain about the "black screen" recordings. He said they was aware of the problem. He said I should take the box in for an exchange. I said I would be willing to wait for a short while if a s/w fix was in the works. He said their way of dealing with it is for an "exchange".
Comcast does not allow you to call the local office directly. I didn't want to drive 10 miles to find either long lines and/or they were out of stock. For $10, they will mail it to you. So, I just spoke to their foreign based CS phone support and ordered a new one. (Hopefully, "new" and the 3400 or 3500 series.)

...mike

Dsperber - Thanks for the directions. I had forgotten that.

Below is copy of chat session:
====
AndyDQNV: I know how frustrating it is and we are on our move to recall this box sa we are are still gathering data's on the issue.
Michael: For instance, ch 787 will record regularly as scheduled. Then we'll get a black screen recording. Same w. other channels.
AndyDQNV: Further, you may swap this box in your nearest COmcast office.
Michael: What box models will they have?
Michael: IF you are aware of the issue, maybe we could live w. it if a software fix will be coming.
AndyDQNV: No worries, I wll have to note this issue on your box so that you can have it swapped in your box.
AndyDQNV: Yes, the issue has reached our attention, the reason why we are asking our customer to replace the box the soonest tome as possible.
========
post #3274 of 4816 Old 05-21-2011, 07:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
My local Comcast office recommends just stopping by next time you are driving by and see if they have a new box which they will give you and then just return your old box the next time you drive back by (3 or 4 overlapping days or so of renting two boxes will only add about dollar or two to your bill).
post #3275 of 4816 Old 05-21-2011, 08:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by George-O View Post

My local Comcast office recommends just stopping by next time you are driving by and see if they have a new box which they will give you and then just return your old box the next time you drive back by (3 or 4 overlapping days or so of renting two boxes will only add about dollar or two to your bill).

It is cheaper in in time and out-of pocket expense for me to pay them $10 to ship the box. As I understand it, I can also ship the old one back. As i recall past adventures in going to a Comcast office meant long lines of dead-beats restoring service. (And their office is 9 miles from here. I am on the edge of downtown Oakland and they are as far as you can be and still be in town.) In reading posts over the years on the SF Comcast forum here, local offices are often out of the product you want. They only charge you for boxes that are actually connected - not in the mail. Also, I am hoping that they will ship a new box, not a return.
post #3276 of 4816 Old 05-21-2011, 08:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

It is cheaper in in time and out-of pocket expense for me to pay them $10 to ship the box. As I understand it, I can also ship the old one back. As i recall past adventures in going to a Comcast office meant long lines of dead-beats restoring service. (And their office is 9 miles from here. I am on the edge of downtown Oakland and they are as far as you can be and still be in town.) In reading posts over the years on the SF Comcast forum here, local offices are often out of the product you want. They only charge you for boxes that are actually connected - not in the mail. Also, I am hoping that they will ship a new box, not a return.

I lived in Los Angeles from 1975 to 2005 after college and vaguely remember what's its like to live in over-crowded urban areas (before retiring to my beloved and sparcely populated Pacific NW where I was born and raised) .... you are correct about having them ship your box.
post #3277 of 4816 Old 05-21-2011, 08:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:

Went to their online chat CS function to complain about the "black screen" recordings. He said they was aware of the problem. He said I should take the box in for an exchange. I said I would be willing to wait for a short while if a s/w fix was in the works. He said their way of dealing with it is for an "exchange".
Comcast does not allow you to call the local office directly. I didn't want to drive 10 miles to find either long lines and/or they were out of stock. For $10, they will mail it to you. So, I just spoke to their foreign based CS phone support and ordered a new one. (Hopefully, "new" and the 3400 or 3500 series.)

...mike

Dsperber - Thanks for the directions. I had forgotten that.

Below is copy of chat session:
====
AndyDQNV: I know how frustrating it is and we are on our move to recall this box sa we are are still gathering data's on the issue.
Michael: For instance, ch 787 will record regularly as scheduled. Then we'll get a black screen recording. Same w. other channels.
AndyDQNV: Further, you may swap this box in your nearest COmcast office.
Michael: What box models will they have?
Michael: IF you are aware of the issue, maybe we could live w. it if a software fix will be coming.
AndyDQNV: No worries, I wll have to note this issue on your box so that you can have it swapped in your box.
AndyDQNV: Yes, the issue has reached our attention, the reason why we are asking our customer to replace the box the soonest tome as possible.
========

What kind of an answer is that?? Exchange the box? Why are the ones they've got in house better than the ones we've got at home? If the software needs fixing, then it needs fixing on the ones they've got just as much as it needs fixing on the ones we've got. As far as I'm concerned, his solution is simply a delay tactic. i.e. exchange the box and maybe the problem won't occur for a while.

If it's a software problem, then they should be working round the clock to get this fixed.
post #3278 of 4816 Old 05-21-2011, 11:11 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Has anybody gotten a red circle with a red line in it before? For the 5/22 episode of WWE A.M. Raw my DCX3400 didn't record it at all. By clicking on the program from the DVR History I got the following in gold/yellow text "This program was not recorded because of a fatal hardware error". I'd like to know what all this means as this is my first time ever getting the message.

Jed "Freddy" Raybould
post #3279 of 4816 Old 05-22-2011, 07:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JedFRaybould View Post

Has anybody gotten a red circle with a red line in it before? For the 5/22 episode of WWE A.M. Raw my DCX3400 didn't record it at all. By clicking on the program from the DVR History I got the following in gold/yellow text "This program was not recorded because of a fatal hardware error". I'd like to know what all this means as this is my first time ever getting the message.

I've never seen that message before. I'd call your cable company and be prepared to exchange your DVR.
post #3280 of 4816 Old 05-22-2011, 12:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I got that message twice over the 11 months I've had the DCX-3400M with Comcast AnyRoom Service but without the red circle w/line nor the gold/yellew text, and the programs were not recorded. Each time it happened I was fiddling with my recording settings at the time the recordings were due to start, for what it's worth.
post #3281 of 4816 Old 05-22-2011, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crossbeaux View Post

I've never seen that message before. I'd call your cable company and be prepared to exchange your DVR.

I called my cable company (Charter), and the tech told me to unplug my DVR for 30 seconds or so and plug it back in. After plugging it back in and wait until the guide repopulates then try to record a show. So, far it looks fine.

George-O,

I have never messed with my start and end times for a scheduled recording. I mainly record WWE shows and on occasion a show that I find and like to record it.

Jed "Freddy" Raybould
post #3282 of 4816 Old 05-22-2011, 03:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I called my cable company (Charter), and the tech told me to unplug my DVR for 30 seconds or so and plug it back in. After plugging it back in and wait until the guide repopulates then try to record a show. So, far it looks fine.

George-O,

I have never messed with my start and end times for a scheduled recording. I mainly record WWE shows and on occasion a show that I find and like to record it.

Maybe the error message didn't accurately describe the problem. It seemed unlikely to me that a hardware error could be fixed by restarting the software. I've seen other times when a program didn't get recorded and the log said something like "canceled by system." That was bad enough. So I figured "fatal hardware error" must be smoking circuit boards and metal shards flying out.
post #3283 of 4816 Old 05-22-2011, 06:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I got that a few months back, and posted about it in this thread. It's been a while, so I don't necessarily recall the situation accurately, but I believe I had one tuner already recording, a recording scheduled on the second tuner, and I was watching something in the buffer. But, I think it has happened since, w/o those particulars.
post #3284 of 4816 Old 05-22-2011, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbawc View Post

I got that a few months back, and posted about it in this thread. It's been a while, so I don't necessarily recall the situation accurately, but I believe I had one tuner already recording, a recording scheduled on the second tuner, and I was watching something in the buffer. But, I think it has happened since, w/o those particulars.

With me it never happened before at all. As you probably read that the Charter Tech told me to unplug it for 30 seconds or so and plug it back it then wait until the guide repopulates to do a test record (I did 2 test records 1- Law & Order: SVU from 4pm to 5pm (recorded fine, manually pressed record button) and 2- WWE Over The Limit 7:30pm to 2am (recording fine- scheduled the PPV w/o 30 minute overrun)). I'll have to wait until next Sunday AM for WWE A.M. Raw at 2am.

Jed "Freddy" Raybould
post #3285 of 4816 Old 05-23-2011, 09:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Hi, I just moved to Colorado and signed up with Comcast triple play. I explained to them that I needed a hd/dvr that does 3d. The installer brings me a dch3416 and of course it's the wrong box. I bring it in to a Comcast service center and the rep told me it would work, he said he had to flag it for 3d. Again it does not work with 3d. Set up a apointment for a dcx3400 to be installed on Sunday between 7am-9am. I get a call from the installer at 6.30am saying they have no dcx3400's in stock. Comcast is the worst company I have ever dealt with. I called this morning and they told me they have 1 dcx3425 in stock, which would be a 40 mile drive for me to pick it up. My question is, is the dcx3425 as good as the dcx3400. What are the different between these 2 boxes if any. Thanks

Joe V.
post #3286 of 4816 Old 05-23-2011, 09:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwv651 View Post

Hi, I just moved to Colorado and signed up with Comcast triple play. I explained to them that I needed a hd/dvr that does 3d. The installer brings me a dch3416 and of course it's the wrong box. I bring it in to a Comcast service center and the rep told me it would work, he said he had to flag it for 3d. Again it does not work with 3d. Set up a apointment for a dcx3400 to be installed on Sunday between 7am-9am. I get a call from the installer at 6.30am saying they have no dcx3400's in stock. Comcast is the worst company I have ever dealt with. I called this morning and they told me they have 1 dcx3425 in stock, which would be a 40 mile drive for me to pick it up. My question is, is the dcx3425 as good as the dcx3400. What are the different between these 2 boxes if any. Thanks

I believe a dcx3425 is just version of the dcx3400 with a 250G hard drive. Maybe you could be more specific about what you mean by not working with 3D. You have a 3D TV and you tuned into a 3D channel (like ESPN3D) that was airing 3D programming?
post #3287 of 4816 Old 05-23-2011, 09:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crossbeaux View Post

I believe a dcx3425 is just version of the dcx3400 with a 250G hard drive. Maybe you could be more specific about what you mean by not working with 3D. You have a 3D TV and you tuned into a 3D channel (like ESPN3D) that was airing 3D programming?

The dch3416 doesn't work with 3d programming. I'm leaving now to get the dcx 3425, 250g hard drive is plenty for us. Thanks for the reply.

Joe V.
post #3288 of 4816 Old 05-23-2011, 10:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwv651 View Post

I called this morning and they told me they have 1 dcx3425 in stock, which would be a 40 mile drive for me to pick it up. My question is, is the dcx3425 as good as the dcx3400. What are the different between these 2 boxes if any. Thanks

Comcast will mail you the box for $10. Many of their CS people don't mention this. They have 3 options. 1. Go to their store, stand in a long line, find out they are out of stock. 2. Send a tech to deliver/install it for about $30. You have to wait - they give you a 2 hr. window. 3. They will ship it UPS for the $10. This is called the "self install" option.
I have a dcx3400m (m=multi room which I don't have - use it as a stand alone box). It has a 500G drive. I gather some earlier models might have 250G.
If you see my post on 5/21 in this thread, I posted a copy of a chat conversation w. CS where they admit they are aware of problems w. the 3400 box. They are shipping me a new one. I'll report back when it comes.

...mike
post #3289 of 4816 Old 05-23-2011, 10:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Comcast will mail you the box for $10. Many of their CS people don't mention this. They have 3 options. 1. Go to their store, stand in a long line, find out they are out of stock. 2. Send a tech to deliver/install it for about $30. You have to wait - they give you a 2 hr. window. 3. They will ship it UPS for the $10. This is called the "self install" option.
I have a dcx3400m (m=multi room which I don't have - use it as a stand alone box). It has a 500G drive. I gather some earlier models might have 250G.
If you see my post on 5/21 in this thread, I posted a copy of a chat conversation w. CS where they admit they are aware of problems w. the 3400 box. They are shipping me a new one. I'll report back when it comes.

...mike

Too late, the poor guy's already probably left the house.
post #3290 of 4816 Old 05-24-2011, 11:27 AM

Hello,

I have looked and looked to find this information, but I can't get any confirmed working way to get the guide to stretch to full-screen on all (SD & HD) channels. I have seen advice to remove this phenomenon, and I have tried reversing this, but it has not yielded any success. My old Charter Motorola HDDVR did this with no issue, and the GUI seems the same overall, so I am pretty sure it is possible with this newer box. I have a Samsung 46a750 TV, and I also have a DCX 3200M satellite box for another TV (older Sharp).

I have accessed the menu to change the HDMI settings, stretch settings, etc. but I have not found the correct combination to stretch the SD guide/menu to fit the whole screen. I would appreciate any help in setting this up. Thank you and have a great day.
post #3291 of 4816 Old 05-24-2011, 11:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailofTears View Post

Hello,

I have looked and looked to find this information, but I can't get any confirmed working way to get the guide to stretch to full-screen on all (SD & HD) channels. I have seen advice to remove this phenomenon, and I have tried reversing this, but it has not yielded any success. My old Charter Motorola HDDVR did this with no issue, and the GUI seems the same overall, so I am pretty sure it is possible with this newer box. I have a Samsung 46a750 TV, and I also have a DCX 3200M satellite box for another TV (older Sharp).

I have accessed the menu to change the HDMI settings, stretch settings, etc. but I have not found the correct combination to stretch the SD guide/menu to fit the whole screen. I would appreciate any help in setting this up. Thank you and have a great day.

The guide doesn't stretch, no matter what you try.
post #3292 of 4816 Old 05-24-2011, 05:41 PM
AVS Special Member

If you have a CRT, you can put magnets at the sides of the screen.
post #3293 of 4816 Old 05-24-2011, 07:46 PM
AVS Special Member

I just go my new (replacement) DCX3400m. CS said on Sat. they were aware of the "recording black screen" and other issues and said the "cure" was to replace the box. I am on Comcast in Oakland, Ca.
It was shipped via UPS on Mon. Arrived today - Tues.!!

It is obviously too early to see if this box works. I did notice one thing that I hadn't paid attention to on the old box. When you go to the setup menu to view what type of box you have - it says "Model DCT" not DCX. The label on the front of the box, like the old one, says "DCX 3400M"

This box does have a 500G drive. (That's in the diagnostics menu.)

So is there a diff between a "DCT" and a "DCX"?

...mike
post #3294 of 4816 Old 05-24-2011, 08:59 PM

Quote:

I just go my new (replacement) DCX3400m. CS said on Sat. they were aware of the "recording black screen" and other issues and said the "cure" was to replace the box. I am on Comcast in Oakland, Ca.
It was shipped via UPS on Mon. Arrived today - Tues.!!

It is obviously too early to see if this box works. I did notice one thing that I hadn't paid attention to on the old box. When you go to the setup menu to view what type of box you have - it says "Model DCT" not DCX. The label on the front of the box, like the old one, says "DCX 3400M"

This box does have a 500G drive. (That's in the diagnostics menu.)

So is there a diff between a "DCT" and a "DCX"?

...mike

I think DCT stands for Digital Consumer Terminal. I guess when Motorola started doing DVRs they changed from DCT to DCH and then DCX. I have no idea what the X stands for in DCX. I guess both the DCH and DCX are based on the DCT1000 and DCT2000 series of Digital Recievers. I have had a couple junky DCH3416 or DCH6416 from Charter and both said "Model: DCT" in the Review Configuration screen. Hope this kind of helps or may be DSperber can explain it much better than me.

Jed "Freddy" Raybould
post #3295 of 4816 Old 05-30-2011, 10:02 AM

Hi folks

Located a DCX3400-M on Best-Buy website. They show a Shaw branded box (not available in my local Ontario store) with a 500gig HDD and dual HD tuners for a $150 less than the 250gig Eastlink branded DCX3400 with 1 HD and 1 SD tuners. Phoned Eastlink and they confirmed I could use it so I ordered one of the Shaw boxes. It got shipped from from BC.

Eastlink activation CSR's could not activate it and neither could the service call tech the next day. It displayed a zero and the blue power light was on, but the PVR would not respond to the remote or any touchscreen presses including attempting a cold boot. Have successfully been using a DCX700 at same coax location.

Returned the PVR to the local store and ordered another from their site when I got home. Fast forward 10 days and the new second DCX3400-M once again cannot be activated by the CSR's. Same tech comes for second service call and the call ends the same way with a blue light and a zero. This time he takes all the info and forwards it in an email to someone. Asks me to leave it connected.

24 hours later nothing has happened so I try a cold boot and this time it worked. I am currently (3 days so far) in a menu whose choices are run, Auto, oob, Sudb, EnEt, and dlSP. I cannot find info on the www re: this menu and I hesitate to power down in case I get the zero again. Is there something I can do now that will allow Eastlink to activate this PVR?
post #3296 of 4816 Old 05-30-2011, 11:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsys View Post

Hi folks

Located a DCX3400-M on Best-Buy website. They show a Shaw branded box (not available in my local Ontario store) with a 500gig HDD and dual HD tuners for a $150 less than the 250gig Eastlink branded DCX3400 with 1 HD and 1 SD tuners. Phoned Eastlink and they confirmed I could use it so I ordered one of the Shaw boxes. It got shipped from from BC.

Eastlink activation CSR's could not activate it and neither could the service call tech the next day. It displayed a zero and the blue power light was on, but the PVR would not respond to the remote or any touchscreen presses including attempting a cold boot. Have successfully been using a DCX700 at same coax location.

Returned the PVR to the local store and ordered another from their site when I got home. Fast forward 10 days and the new second DCX3400-M once again cannot be activated by the CSR's. Same tech comes for second service call and the call ends the same way with a blue light and a zero. This time he takes all the info and forwards it in an email to someone. Asks me to leave it connected.

24 hours later nothing has happened so I try a cold boot and this time it worked. I am currently (3 days so far) in a menu whose choices are run, Auto, oob, Sudb, EnEt, and dlSP. I cannot find info on the www re: this menu and I hesitate to power down in case I get the zero again. Is there something I can do now that will allow Eastlink to activate this PVR?

If I understand correctly, you bought a shaw branded motorola dvr and are hookig it up to eastlink's service?

Could be that the DVR is loaded with shaw software and needs to be loaded with eastlink software/firmware ann the cablecard inside the unit entered into the eastlink provisioning system? They might be able to connect through the OOB link and format the unit with their software. There likely is 0 difference hardware wise from shaw to eastlnk, only software.
post #3297 of 4816 Old 05-30-2011, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qz3fwd View Post
If I understand correctly, you bought a shaw branded motorola dvr and are hookig it up to eastlink's service?
Yes, that is my intent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by qz3fwd View Post
Could be that the DVR is loaded with shaw software and needs to be loaded with eastlink software/firmware ann the cablecard inside the unit entered into the eastlink provisioning system?
They might be able to connect through the OOB link and format the unit with their software. There likely is 0 difference hardware wise from shaw to eastlnk, only software.
That's the part that hasn't happened I guess.
post #3298 of 4816 Old 06-01-2011, 08:40 PM

Liked: 16
Hey folks. I just got my DCX3400 from Comcast hooked up today and I have a couple of questions I was looking to get some help with.

First, my software version is 78.54 - a28p4.1005.r-6 and my firmware is 22.65. Are these the most up to date versions available? I had read a bit in this thread that there is a higher firmware number. Is there a way to manually update my firmware or do I have to wait on Comcast to do it?

Also, I really do not like the brightness of the front clock display. I have checked in the service menu but there is no option to change it. Do I need a newer firmware to get this option?

Other than that I like the new box. It appears that I got a brand new never used 500gb HDD box too! Just want to get a few quirky things worked out. Any help will be much appreciated.
post #3299 of 4816 Old 06-01-2011, 09:00 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by RodChester View Post

Hey folks. I just got my DCX3400 from Comcast hooked up today and I have a couple of questions I was looking to get some help with.

First, my software version is 78.54 - a28p4.1005.r-6 and my firmware is 22.65. Are these the most up to date versions available? I had read a bit in this thread that there is a higher firmware number. Is there a way to manually update my firmware or do I have to wait on Comcast to do it?

Also, I really do not like the brightness of the front clock display. I have checked in the service menu but there is no option to change it. Do I need a newer firmware to get this option?

Other than that I like the new box. It appears that I got a brand new never used 500gb HDD box too! Just want to get a few quirky things worked out. Any help will be much appreciated.

Regarding the bright display, there is a decidedly low tech fix one can do. I cut out a small rectangle of old photographic film and glued it over the display. Now it glows with a soothing soft amber hue. Sad that such a "Comcastic" company can't develop a firmware fix and instead forces their customers to McGyver a $0.02 cent fix with glue and film. Maybe if I had a toothpick and a rubber band I could get it to not freeze...nah...
post #3300 of 4816 Old 06-01-2011, 09:11 PM

Liked: 16
Yeah I have read up on the other "low tech" methods for fixing the brightness. However, I really don't want to go this route. I guess I just want to make sure I wasn't missing anything since others have reported a fix that is available in the menu. Hopefully there is some way for me to get a newer firmware loaded into the box.
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page