Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 4780 Old 08-17-2009, 06:51 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brouham View Post

Millerwill, I live in Vallejo and I have the DCX3400 box with the 22.31 FW. Are you saying that the box can be updated by remotely removing it from my account, allowing it to download, then placed back on my account by Comcast. It is unclear whether the box is updated remotely or one must swap the box out.

Dispatch will not remove the box from your account in order for the upgrade to occur only because the entire download process can take up to 30-40 minutes. Also, they do not have the authorization to send the correct HIT or INT to the box, only the warehouse can. Its all part of the checks and balances of the billing system.

Millerwill & Brouham - Call your local payment center and verify they have the box in stock first and then ask if its possible for them to check the firmware. Ask them to put it on hold for you. Those boxes go like hotcakes at a lumberjack buffet. Most cable store reps will have no clue of what they need to do but ask if they can check using the procedures i stated above or have them call the warehouse and double check that the firmware has been pushed out in your area. If they won't allow it, ask to speak to the supervisor. You as customers have the right to make sure you get what you want and pay for. Don't bother asking if you can take the box home to check the firmware and call it into your account if its the right firmware as they will not let you because then the box then becomes unaccounted for during inventory.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 4780 Old 08-17-2009, 07:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by one9GT View Post

Dispatch will not remove the box from your account in order for the upgrade to occur only because the entire download process can take up to 30-40 minutes. Also, they do not have the authorization to send the correct HIT or INT to the box, only the warehouse can. Its all part of the checks and balances of the billing system.

Millerwill & Brouham - Call your local payment center and verify they have the box in stock first and then ask if its possible for them to check the firmware. Ask them to put it on hold for you. Those boxes go like hotcakes at a lumberjack buffet. Most cable store reps will have no clue of what they need to do but ask if they can check using the procedures i stated above or have them call the warehouse and double check that the firmware has been pushed out in your area. If they won't allow it, ask to speak to the supervisor. You as customers have the right to make sure you get what you want and pay for. Don't bother asking if you can take the box home to check the firmware and call it into your account if its the right firmware as they will not let you because then the box then becomes unaccounted for during inventory.

Thanks very much for th heads up!!
post #363 of 4780 Old 08-17-2009, 07:23 PM

To all in the SF area-

I just received a technical bulletin stating that a firmware upgrade will be pushed out to all DCX3400 and DCX3200 within the San Francisco area to correct the HDMI issue. It is scheduled to go from today until tomorrow.
post #364 of 4780 Old 08-17-2009, 07:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

To all in the SF area-

I just received a technical bulletin stating that a firmware upgrade will be pushed out to all DCX3400 and DCX3200 within the San Francisco area to correct the HDMI issue. It is scheduled to go from today until tomorrow.

Wow! You've provided more useful into in the last few hours than I've seen in weeks! I
l'll check in the morning to see what I have.
post #365 of 4780 Old 08-17-2009, 07:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

To all in the SF area-

PS So one will not need to take the box in to swap it?

PS2 Should one hold out for one of the new 'platinum' remotes to replace the silver one? What advantage? I 'teach' my present silver one's IR commands to a URC remote; will it be able to 'learn' the signals from the new remote?
post #366 of 4780 Old 08-17-2009, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by millerwill View Post

PS So one will not need to take the box in to swap it?

Most upgrades are done within the maintenance windows (usually in the middle of the night) so it might save you a trip to the store.. wait a day or two and see if you get upgraded. Remember this is only for the San Francisco area(if your account starts with 877034XX)

PS2 Should one hold out for one of the new 'platinum' remotes to replace the silver one? What advantage? I 'teach' my present silver one's IR commands to a URC remote; will it be able to 'learn' the signals from the new remote?

The "platinum" (more like a gunmetal grey color) remotes should of been issued with your DCX. If yours is currently working, i wouldn't bother with it as the old silvers do work with the DCX's but some people do have problems with them. The "platinum" remotes ONLY work on the DCX series, Pace RNG's and DTA's. I'll see if i can find the technical bulletin on the XMP remotes.
post #367 of 4780 Old 08-17-2009, 08:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

To all in the SF area-

I was going to ask what kind of system you guys had out there that firmware updates weren't just pushed to the boxes like the rest of the country. This business would be a complete mess if all boxes had to be returned whenever firmware was updated!

Just my 2¢
Jon
post #368 of 4780 Old 08-17-2009, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonwww View Post

I was going to ask what kind of system you guys had out there that firmware updates weren't just pushed to the boxes like the rest of the country. This business would be a complete mess if all boxes had to be returned whenever firmware was updated!

They are pushed out to customers. Our warehouse wasn't even notified of the upgrade and I had to figure it out after 2 days it was released and the technicians were complaining of zeroed out boxes. Then they want to wait a whole week before they even push it out to customers. It should of just been pushed out all at once. They've been sitting on the upgrade for a while as I remember when we started issuing these boxes 2 months ago they sent a previous bulletin stating the upgrade would be in a few days of its initial release to customers.
post #369 of 4780 Old 08-17-2009, 08:34 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:

They are pushed out to customers but in my eyes its way too late. Our warehouse wasn't even notified of the upgrade and I had to figure it out after 2 days it was released and the technicians were complaining of zeroed out boxes. Then they want to wait a whole week before they even push it out to customers. It should of just been pushed out all at once. They've been sitting on the upgrade for a while as I remember when we started issuing these boxes 2 months ago they sent a previous bulletin stating the upgrade would be in a few days of its initial release to customers.

one9GT, now I am totally confused. Do we have to take the box in or not? Or will it be pushed remotely as I originally asked?
post #370 of 4780 Old 08-17-2009, 08:36 PM

Quote:

one9GT, now I am totally confused. Do we have to take the box in or not? Or will it be pushed remotely as I originally asked?

It will be pushed remotely in the SAN FRANCISCO area, i'm not too sure about vallejo. I'm sure they will be pushing theres also in the near future.
post #371 of 4780 Old 08-17-2009, 08:56 PM

Quote:

It will be pushed remotely in the SAN FRANCISCO area, i'm not too sure about vallejo. I'm sure they will be pushing theres also in the near future.

Cool! Thanks for the much needed info because I have been having HDMI issues.
post #372 of 4780 Old 08-18-2009, 06:37 AM

Quote:

Cool! Thanks for the much needed info because I have been having HDMI issues.

This morning I checked and the 22.35 FW had been pushed to my DCX3400 box, hurray!Now I can connect the HDMI cable from the box to my Pioneer Elite SC-05 receiver and from it to my Panasonic plasma TV without handshaking issues. Previously, with the 22.31 FW the connection to the Pioneer receiver would cause handshaking issues preventing video from showing on the plasma tv--no problems now!
post #373 of 4780 Old 08-18-2009, 08:00 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Same here for 22.35! Thanks again one9GT for all the info.

Now I just hope this does solve my issue of the DCX having to be unplugged/plugged in every evening when I get home.
post #374 of 4780 Old 08-18-2009, 06:07 PM

anybody can tell me when tivo will be supported on these boxes?

TIA
post #375 of 4780 Old 08-18-2009, 10:02 PM
Advanced Member

still 22.31 in my part of SF Bay Area...
post #376 of 4780 Old 08-19-2009, 01:48 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
can somebody plz explain to me what are the hdmi issues?

ill be getting this new box in the mail within a few days, curious what i should look out for that could be wrong with it
post #377 of 4780 Old 08-19-2009, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbdawson View Post

can somebody plz explain to me what are the hdmi issues?

ill be getting this new box in the mail within a few days, curious what i should look out for that could be wrong with it

Well, the HDMI issue I was having with the 22.31 FW was that I couldn't run the hdmi cable from the box to my pioneer receiver and then run the output hdmi cable to my television. If I did, I would get no image, rather I would get a green screen. If I bypassed the pioneer receiver and ran the hdmi cable directly to the television then I would have no problem. The 22.35 fixed the problem with the receiver; now everything is fine.
post #378 of 4780 Old 08-19-2009, 07:01 AM

Quote:

This morning I checked and the 22.35 FW had been pushed to my DCX3400 box, hurray!Now I can connect the HDMI cable from the box to my Pioneer Elite SC-05 receiver and from it to my Panasonic plasma TV without handshaking issues. Previously, with the 22.31 FW the connection to the Pioneer receiver would cause handshaking issues preventing video from showing on the plasma tv--no problems now!

Brouham,

Aside from the green screen, do you notice any difference in the PQ with the cable signal going thru your receiver before it reaches the TV. I had thought this was a distinct possibility and have been wary to connect mine that way. Maybe I should try it and see?

Thanks,

Justin
post #379 of 4780 Old 08-19-2009, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wittkoje View Post

Brouham,

Aside from the green screen, do you notice any difference in the PQ with the cable signal going thru your receiver before it reaches the TV. I had thought this was a distinct possibility and have been wary to connect mine that way. Maybe I should try it and see?

Thanks,

Justin

There appears to be no difference.
post #380 of 4780 Old 08-19-2009, 07:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Well, the HDMI issue I was having with the 22.31 FW was that I couldn't run the hdmi cable from the box to my pioneer receiver and then run the output hdmi cable to my television. If I did, I would get no image, rather I would get a green screen. If I bypassed the pioneer receiver and ran the hdmi cable directly to the television then I would have no problem. The 22.35 fixed the problem with the receiver; now everything is fine.

With 22.31 I was able to do HDMI from the DCX to my Onkyo 805 AVR (pass through) and from there to the projector; so not the problem you had. But every day I turned it on (AVR and pj--cable box is never turned off) I got a blank screen with 'dUl' on the DCX display; had to do the 'unplug, re-plug' thing (hard reset) to bring it to life, and then wait for the Guide to reload, etc.

Anyway, with 22.35 everything has been OK (so far!).
post #381 of 4780 Old 08-19-2009, 10:07 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
ok thanks guys, since im getting my box just now new shipped from comcast should it have the new firmware? if not how can i go about getting it?
post #382 of 4780 Old 08-19-2009, 10:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:

ok thanks guys, since im getting my box just now new shipped from comcast should it have the new firmware? if not how can i go about getting it?

You will get whatever version your system is using when your box gets the initialization hit and downloads the software, firmware, and guide information.

You can't do anything yourself to alter which version you get.
post #383 of 4780 Old 08-19-2009, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stretch437 View Post

If you're in the south half of San Francisco, the firmware push was released this morning.
post #384 of 4780 Old 08-19-2009, 07:46 PM

Quote:

If you receive the box and it asks you to activate by calling a certain number(which most likely is the case), then the box has not been placed on account. Plug the box in and let it boot completely. Once thats done turn it on then off. once off keep pressing select until "d01" pops up. scroll down to "d13" and the top module should read 22.31 or 22.35. if its 22.31 and not on account, it should automatically download all three app code modules (25-35) minutes. once thats complete call in the activation.

Boxes that get mailed to customers is nothing but a big joke here, every tech that gets a customer with a mailed box returns them to the warehouse because they are never properly tested, put on file incorrectly or just plain doesn't work. The 3rd party company that handles this for Comcast doesn't know what they are doing.
post #385 of 4780 Old 08-19-2009, 08:18 PM

Quote:

How did you get Comcast to ship you a box? Did you have to pay for shipping?
post #386 of 4780 Old 08-19-2009, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stretch437 View Post

Looks like my part of the (East) SF Bay Area got the 22.35 FW upgrade around 2am this morning.

Unfortunately, it froze my STB (the clock froze at 1:57am) - so I powercycled and everything has been working like a charm ever since.
post #387 of 4780 Old 08-21-2009, 09:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 18
hello all,

comcast shipped my boxes overnight. got them set them up with no problems. looks like a better picture but just thinking new is better. the comcast rep in philly was very nice. no charge for overnight shipping.

June
"IF YOU FAIL TO PLAN, YOU PLAN TO FAIL"
post #388 of 4780 Old 08-21-2009, 11:19 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by donaldsonjune View Post

hello all,

comcast shipped my boxes overnight. got them set them up with no problems. looks like a better picture but just thinking new is better. the comcast rep in philly was very nice. no charge for overnight shipping.

I agree that I think the pic is better--more vibrant colors.

However I swapped this morning for a new box. Even with the new 22.35 FW, when I turned my unit on it would either 1) not connect (giving 'dUl' on the display and a green screen) and have to had a hard reset, or 2) if it did connect, it 'stuttered' a time or two with 'dUl' on the display, and then connected but had reset all my HDMI settings. I'm hoping the new box does better; will find out tonight.

I do like the 'Native' resolution that is possible with HDMI. It does make a better pic on my 126" screen (from 12 ft away); might not on a smaller display. But I don't want to have to go into the HDMI settings everytime I turn it on and reset the resolution to 'Native'!
post #389 of 4780 Old 08-21-2009, 09:47 PM
Advanced Member

got 22.35 last night. woot.

i wasn't having issues with HDMI sync anyway, so that part wasn't a life changing experience for me, but i will say the EPG (electronic program guide) seems WAY more responsive.

haven't made any determination about whether my banding issue was improved but a quick look makes me think not.

true, i get a noticeable flicker whenever i select almost any menu or guide option, but overall the experience is greatly improved. 22.35, big win.
post #390 of 4780 Old 08-21-2009, 11:47 PM

EDIT: Found the answer, my initial search of this thread didn't pull it up.

For the DCX3400, where is the remote eye receiver located on the front panel? I have a small remote extender that needs to be on the eye, but I don't see an obvious location for it.
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page