Official AVS Motorola DCX series HD DVR Topic! - Page 145 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 41Likes

post #4321 of 4866 Old 06-20-2012, 10:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Does anyone else have the frustrating issue where you're in the middle of watching a long DVR recording, and try to rewind a bit to catch something you just missed, and instead of rewinding, it jumps back to the beginning of the recording? Happens to me all the time w/ my Comcast DVR from this series. Also is there a faster way to get back to where I was besides FFx5? Is there a skip ahead 5 min. at a time or something like that? Watching a 4+ hour recording of the US Open golf was making me crazy when it was doing this. Even on the 5x fastest FF speed it would take minutes to get back to where I was before in the recording after it pulled that crap when trying to rewind a bit...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4322 of 4866 Old 06-20-2012, 10:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemav View Post

Does anyone else have the frustrating issue where you're in the middle of watching a long DVR recording, and try to rewind a bit to catch something you just missed, and instead of rewinding, it jumps back to the beginning of the recording? Happens to me all the time w/ my Comcast DVR from this series. Also is there a faster way to get back to where I was besides FFx5? Is there a skip ahead 5 min. at a time or something like that? Watching a 4+ hour recording of the US Open golf was making me crazy when it was doing this. Even on the 5x fastest FF speed it would take minutes to get back to where I was before in the recording after it pulled that crap when trying to rewind a bit...

Page Up and Page Down skip 5 minutes forward and backward at a time.

I have had the problem you've experienced a few times. What happens to me more often is getting stuck where the DVR doesn't respond to any commands. Sometimes it will resume after powering down, but often times it takes a reboot to unfreeze it.
post #4323 of 4866 Old 06-20-2012, 04:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by snidely View Post

Mr. 1981 -
I see you are here in Bay Area. Which office did you go to? Did you ever have the famous "Black Screen" problem w. your 3400? I'm on my 3rd box. I am undecided whether to get a Tivo (Boston and SF area now offer full integration with Comcast and Tivo) or wait until a new Comcast DVR I read about comes out at the end of the year. Maybe we'll try the 3501.
The Vallejo office but I did have to wait one day for them to get their supply replenished. I did not experience the black
screen issue but the transport control failures were very frustrating.
post #4324 of 4866 Old 06-21-2012, 08:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemav View Post

Yes, I have that issue with jumping to the start when RW and jumping to the end when FF. But, it only happens on ABC for me.
post #4325 of 4866 Old 06-26-2012, 04:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 13
My wife had a season recording that has recorded several times before. Last night it showed the program in the Sceduled Recordings list. It also showed Rec on the front of the DVR? If you go to the HD Guide and selected the program and clicked on the red record button it showed a message that the program was already listed to be recorded. And when it was over the message came up that said Your Recrding has Finished.
But the program was never listed in the My Recordings at all.

I might call Comcast and get me to reset the unit since I'm at work. Has anyone experienced this?
post #4326 of 4866 Old 06-29-2012, 04:01 PM

Liked: 10
Problem: Very few channels with the DCX3501M

Comcast sent me the DCX3501M two days ago. I hooked it up and called Comcast to activate it.

On my old Comcast DVR I received HBO, Showtime, Stars etc.. On the DCX3501M I can only receive 9 channels but not any of the premium channels. The channels I do get come in fine. I have the DVR set up just like before HDMI from the DVR direct to the HDTV.

Comcast said the signal may be weak or a problem with the cables. Same cables I had with the old DVR. A tech will be at my house tomorrow to check this out.

Does anyone have any ideas what could be the problem?

Comcast also wants to charge me for the tech visit tomorrow because I had the DVR shipped to me and a tech didn't deliver it. I have the maintenance agreement and I told them I am not paying for the tech visit.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Jim

Boston, Mass
post #4327 of 4866 Old 06-29-2012, 04:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_In_Boston View Post

Problem: Very few channels with the DCX3501M
Comcast sent me the DCX3501M two days ago. I hooked it up and called Comcast to activate it.
On my old Comcast DVR I received HBO, Showtime, Stars etc.. On the DCX3501M I can only receive 9 channels but not any of the premium channels. The channels I do get come in fine. I have the DVR set up just like before HDMI from the DVR direct to the HDTV.
Comcast said the signal may be weak or a problem with the cables. Same cables I had with the old DVR. A tech will be at my house tomorrow to check this out.
Does anyone have any ideas what could be the problem?
Comcast also wants to charge me for the tech visit tomorrow because I had the DVR shipped to me and a tech didn't deliver it. I have the maintenance agreement and I told them I am not paying for the tech visit.
Thanks in advance for any help.

Jim
Boston, Mass
I think the tech will solve your problem. Perhaps an authorization thing?
post #4328 of 4866 Old 06-29-2012, 04:23 PM

Thanks. My fear is that the tech will say the DCX3501M is no good and that I need to take what he has on the truck. The last DVR I had was a piece of junk so I want to keep the DCX3501M.

Update on 6-30-12
Well Comcast messed me over again. I can't really complain because I agreed to it.

The tech was here today to check out my DCX3501 because I could only receive 9 channels. He said it was a defective DVR and I needed a replacement. The only replacement he had on the truck was a DCX3400-M. I had to agree to take that or wait one week to have a DCX3501 shipped to me again. I didn't want to wait so I am back to using a 3400-M.

Like I said I agreed to it so my bad.
post #4329 of 4866 Old 07-06-2012, 07:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Send a message via AIM to lovswr
I just want to record a few network broadcasts (ok award shows) out of the component outs of my Motorola Comcast DVR. After searching here & on the intertubes, I see that many things can take 720p in, but not record at that resolution. As a matter of fact I only see two, that being the products from Hauppauge & AverMedia resepectively. Are there any others?

carry on with your HD-Lite Directv loving banter! <--Comedy Gold
Don't fall for the HDMI 1.3 Hype!
PSN = lovswr
XBOX Live = lovswr
post #4330 of 4866 Old 07-06-2012, 11:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
^ Yes, there's another:
The Blackmagic Intensity
post #4331 of 4866 Old 07-10-2012, 10:16 AM

Just picked a DCX3501-M from my local Comcast service center. I only signed up for one TV, but asked for the 3501 due to the larger hard drive and they gave it to me. I don't yet have my TV, but I hope it is not an issue if I am self-installing it.

I am now curious about the multi-room features this DVR offers. Is it necessary that I lease another box from Comcast or could I purchase a used box and still utilize the MOCA features? I would only want to use the second box to exclusively watch recorded material off the DCX3501-M.
post #4332 of 4866 Old 07-10-2012, 12:04 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiffypat View Post

Just picked a DCX3501-M from my local Comcast service center. I only signed up for one TV, but asked for the 3501 due to the larger hard drive and they gave it to me. I don't yet have my TV, but I hope it is not an issue if I am self-installing it.
I am now curious about the multi-room features this DVR offers. Is it necessary that I lease another box from Comcast or could I purchase a used box and still utilize the MOCA features? I would only want to use the second box to exclusively watch recorded material off the DCX3501-M.
That is exactly how the whole-home functionality works. You have just one "server" (i.e. the DCX3501-M) and it will support other "client" boxes around your house (the DCX3200-M) which are STB-only units (i.e. they do not contain their own internal hard drives and do not themselves provide independent DVR functionality) fed by the "server" using the coax cable system of your home as the delivery method.

Yes, you must rent these additional DCX3200 units from Comcast, but each one is independent of every other as well as being independent of the main DCX3501 itself, so that everybody in your home can be watching a different live/recorded program.

And you can also use each DCX3200 "satellite" as if it were actually a DVR (although it's actually communicating these requests to the DCX3501 "server"), so you can set recordings, check the Guide, maintain your recording list, etc., from any DCX3200. No need to have to do these from the DCX3501 only.
post #4333 of 4866 Old 07-10-2012, 12:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSperber View Post

That is exactly how the whole-home functionality works. You have just one "server" (i.e. the DCX3501-M) and it will support other "client" boxes around your house (the DCX3200-M) which are STB-only units (i.e. they do not contain their own internal hard drives and do not themselves provide independent DVR functionality) fed by the "server" using the coax cable system of your home as the delivery method.
Yes, you must rent these additional DCX3200 units from Comcast, but each one is independent of every other as well as being independent of the main DCX3501 itself, so that everybody in your home can be watching a different live/recorded program.
And you can also use each DCX3200 "satellite" as if it were actually a DVR (although it's actually communicating these requests to the DCX3501 "server"), so you can set recordings, check the Guide, maintain your recording list, etc., from any DCX3200. No need to have to do these from the DCX3501 only.
I think what spiffypat is really asking is whether he could buy (instead of lease) a 3200 box and have it connect to his 3501 and view content recorded there. I assume he knows he can't buy a 3200 (at least in the US) and be able to use that tuner to access live shows off cable. Comcast permits only leased boxes to do that. But since he doesn't care about live programming on the 3200, would this purchased 3200 be able to function within his local network and view programming saved on his 3501? I don't think so, since you're still using the cable to communicate with the 3501, but I don't know for sure.
post #4334 of 4866 Old 07-10-2012, 05:00 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by crossbeaux View Post

I think what spiffypat is really asking is whether he could buy (instead of lease) a 3200 box and have it connect to his 3501 and view content recorded there. I assume he knows he can't buy a 3200 (at least in the US) and be able to use that tuner to access live shows off cable. Comcast permits only leased boxes to do that. But since he doesn't care about live programming on the 3200, would this purchased 3200 be able to function within his local network and view programming saved on his 3501? I don't think so, since you're still using the cable to communicate with the 3501, but I don't know for sure.
My guess would be that even if a 3200 were acquired somehow other than leased from the cable provider, it would not be usable. Certainly Comcast would not "activate" it, which I assume is required even for non-DVR STB devices like this.

In particular, the "activation" really means authorizing the M-card or S-card which is bolted into the DVR/STB devices (at least I believe one is in the STB as well), which is what is required in order to decrypt protected content... be it live or recorded. As to whether this is necessary even for non-protected content and channels I don't know, but for sure DVR's have M-Cards in them (blocked by a locked metal plate on the back) to handle the dual-tuner decrypting of protected content. The 3200 doesn't have a dual tuner, but it still needs to be able to decrypt protected content delivered by the 3501 via coax.

And you're not going to get Comcast to "activate" that 3200's S-card if you didn't get the box from them.

That would be my guess.
post #4335 of 4866 Old 07-11-2012, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crossbeaux View Post

Exactly what I was asking, sorry if I wasn't clear. I wasn't sure if the MOCA signal was encrypted in any way that would require the box to be activated by Comcast.... A stretch I know, but figured it would be worth asking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSperber View Post

My guess would be that even if a 3200 were acquired somehow other than leased from the cable provider, it would not be usable. Certainly Comcast would not "activate" it, which I assume is required even for non-DVR STB devices like this.
In particular, the "activation" really means authorizing the M-card or S-card which is bolted into the DVR/STB devices (at least I believe one is in the STB as well), which is what is required in order to decrypt protected content... be it live or recorded. As to whether this is necessary even for non-protected content and channels I don't know, but for sure DVR's have M-Cards in them (blocked by a locked metal plate on the back) to handle the dual-tuner decrypting of protected content. The 3200 doesn't have a dual tuner, but it still needs to be able to decrypt protected content delivered by the 3501 via coax.
And you're not going to get Comcast to "activate" that 3200's S-card if you didn't get the box from them.
That would be my guess.

Thanks for your response, I assumed this to probably be the case.
post #4336 of 4866 Old 07-24-2012, 10:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
I got my DCX3501 from Comcast yesterday. which has the latest firmware on-board.

They actually have to hit/activate my box twice because the first one was messed up. For some reason, the VoD for example the HD or non-HD of the same program was messed up. For example, I watch watch a non-HD of a particular show but the HD one saids I can't because I need a subscription (came with ERR message that I needed to call in) or vice versa, which knew was incorrect because I have the subscription.

They managed to figure it out on their end and said some place holders were missing so they needed to hit the box again, and all my subscriptions which I am suppose to have work now. As a result for their first activation mistake, they gave me 3 months free of STARZ channel.
post #4337 of 4866 Old 07-26-2012, 10:20 PM

I have a Motorola DCT3416 from Comcast. I only record HD programming (+/- 25 hours fills it up), and watch about 90% off the DVR and 10% live. Obviously the 30 second channel skip that I programmed into the remote that came with this DVR (I'd call it a silver color on top and black on the bottom) is a REAL TIME SAVER! I just picked up a second box from Comcast to record lots of Olympics programming while the rest of the family is out of town. The new box, also from Motorola is RNG200N, another number on the bottom is DCX3501. The remote LOOKS identical, except that the top is gray. I programmed the same 30 second skip that I used in the 3416 remote into the RNG200N/DCX3501 remote, and it does not work!

So, now the experiementing begins. The silver colored remote for the old 3416 will control the new RNG200N/DCX3501, including the 30 second channel skip. The new remote for the RNG200N/DCX3501 will not control the 3416 at all: however, it does control the box it was made for with the exception of the 30 second skip I programmed into it. Is there a different procedure for programming the 30 second skip into the RNG200N/DCX3501 remote control (the one with the gray top)? If not, the remote for the DCT3416 if worth it's weight in gold ..... well, maybe not literally, depending on the value you place on your time. Can anyone help me please?
post #4338 of 4866 Old 07-26-2012, 10:35 PM

Here you go, try this.

Larry
post #4339 of 4866 Old 07-27-2012, 03:01 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahPaul View Post

I have a Motorola DCT3416 from Comcast. I just picked up a second box from Comcast to record lots of Olympics programming while the rest of the family is out of town. The new box, also from Motorola is RNG200N, another number on the bottom is DCX3501.
Just some additional information...

Actually, I believe that the RNG200N (aka DCX3501) is no longer actually manufactured by Motorola. It's been outsourced to Cisco and Pace, but conceptually it's still a DCX35* unit.

As Maggiefan explained, the real issue here is that the "device" code (needed for the remote in order to know what available set of functional coded IR flashes are recognized by the receiving device, and therefore have to be blasted out for each of the buttons on the remote) for the old DCT/DCH/DCX units (from Motorola) was 01376.

The instructions shown in that post do just that, converting the default "new" device code (which theoretically does not support the 30-second skip function, although we all know it does) implicit in your new remote back to being 01376 (like with your old silver remote, as well as a large number of remotes from Universal Electronics, etc.) so that all of the old programmable EFC function codes can also be installed... including the sought after 00173, which is the 30-second skip.

In other words, all remotes supporting device 01376 blast out the same set of IR flash codes designed for 01376 devices. The 30-second skip EFC 00173 is part of this set of supported codes for 01376 devices. The complete Motorola (or outsourced) family of cable boxes will respond to the 01376 set of IR codes even if the new RNG200N and matching remote is delivered with a different device code set by default. It's just a matter of programming your remote using the instructions above, to make it talk properly to a 01376-compatible device.
post #4340 of 4866 Old 07-27-2012, 08:40 AM

Sorry about the small font size, the instruction sheet was saved as an image.

Larry
post #4341 of 4866 Old 07-27-2012, 10:53 AM
rmf

Can you just "learn" the 30 second skip to the new (platinum) remote if you have it in the old?
post #4342 of 4866 Old 07-27-2012, 11:28 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmf View Post

Can you just "learn" the 30 second skip to the new (platinum) remote if you have it in the old?
I'm sure not. Can you provide the manufacturer and model number of this new platinum remote? Should possibly be on the back, or maybe in the battery compartment. That would be helpful.

But these remotes are not normally "learning" remotes. That would be too expensiive. They can be programmed manually (if they have a Setup button as well as the multiple device buttons), but they are not the "learning" kind.

Anyway, the problem is that you need to change the internal setup of the remote to utilize the IR flash codes for a receiving device 01376, not whatever device it's delivered pre-configured as set up for. Whatever this pre-configured device is, obviously they don't want you to be able to utilize a 30-second skip. That's what the instructions provided above do... change the remote to be able talk to a 01376 device with the full set of available EFC commands, including 00173 for the 30-second skip.

There's nothing that needs to be "learned" by the new remote. It understands exactly what EFC 00173 should flash when you assign it to a button, as long as it is "speaking" in the IR language of device 01376 which is capable or responding to EFC 00173 IR flashes. The remote only needs to know that its IR blaster is talking to a 01376 device, and then you can program EFC 00173... which apparently is not part of whatever the IR code set is for whatever the default pre-configured device is in these new remotes.
post #4343 of 4866 Old 07-28-2012, 02:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Our old 6412 died (in Miami). Wife called an they said they'd send out a new DVR with a prepaid return box. "New" to Comcast doesn't mean much except to describe a 10? y.o model - 3412. Obviously, those old models aren't really suitable in an HD world - especially w. hours worth of Olympics to watch.
So, w.o. opening the inner plastic wrapped DVR and separate remote bag - decided to find the nearest Comcast office. Called Comcast and phone call was routed to wrong office because the system seems to route calls based on area code of phone. The CS person couldn't help us and said he would have to transfer us. When we finally reached a correct office for our account/area - the CS person wanted to give us an office address 25 miles away! He wouldn't give us an address of a nearby office. Finally, we said, "just pretend we are in Hollywood, Florida" - 5 miles from where we were at the time - "and that we wanted to return some equipment". He finally gave us a physical address.
I digress -
CS at Comcast office said she had a 3501. Then she realized we are located on the Miami side of the County line - took that back and gave us a RNG200N. I wouldn't know what difference is between boxes that would serve customers in Dade County where we are and Broward County 1/2 mile to the north. CS person said they do service at least her county and Miami-Dade county. Anyway, after a day, box seems to work. To early to tell if it has the famous problem of the 3400 box's black screen recording we have in Calif. Nice to know we have more than 4 times the space than on our old box. I didn't look at bottom of box to see who made it.

It came w. the exact same remote of many years old 6412 uses. Had no problem programming in the "01376" code. (We kept the old remote from the 6412. Experience has told me they don't care if they get old remotes back or not so we now have two for this RNG200N DVR.
post #4344 of 4866 Old 07-29-2012, 04:20 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I am located about 20 miles west of Boston and I have been notified by Comcast that I have to replace my DVR, which has the Comcast TIVO software installed on it, with a new box within a couple of days. I am wondering if anyone here can please tell me the model number of the newest DVR with the largest hard drive size? I thought I read that they have a high capacity whole house DVR that has an additional monthly cost over and above the regular DVR rental fee. I only have 1 TV so I am not looking to spend any additional money. Hopefully they have the box that is recommended in stock in the Franklin office so that I can do an easy swap. Thanks in advance for any info.
post #4345 of 4866 Old 08-07-2012, 11:30 PM
AVS Special Member

I don't know about Boston -
In Oakland we got a 6400 box w. 500G capacity over a year ago. We are on the 3rd box - because Comcast refuses to recognize the software problems (famous black screen recordings). We have had the 3rd box for 4 months or so and now have gone a couple months w. only a couple bad recordings.
When our old 6412 box died in Miami last month - Comcast sent out another old model to replace it. I took the "new" old model to the nearest Comcast office and asked if they had the 3501 box. They did!! It also has a 500G drive. The numbers on the box are Model RNG200N - which means it could be made by Cisco or someone else to Motorola standards. Got it just in time to store hours worth of Olympics. One day would have filled up the 10 year old model 6412.

So maybe, now, the large capacity boxes are now available everywhere. I did try in Miami several months ago (via phone) and they claimed they didn't have it.

...mike
post #4346 of 4866 Old 08-09-2012, 02:28 PM

I just got the motorola dcx3501-m from charter and am trying to do the service menu change so I don't have black bars around my SD channels but I cant select anything to make a change when I use the arrow keys nothing happens? Do they have it locked so you cant make changes?
post #4347 of 4866 Old 08-09-2012, 02:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 906 Post(s)
Liked: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by snidely View Post

I don't know about Boston -
In Oakland we got a 6400 box w. 500G capacity over a year ago. We are on the 3rd box - because Comcast refuses to recognize the software problems (famous black screen recordings). We have had the 3rd box for 4 months or so and now have gone a couple months w. only a couple bad recordings.
When our old 6412 box died in Miami last month - Comcast sent out another old model to replace it. I took the "new" old model to the nearest Comcast office and asked if they had the 3501 box. They did!! It also has a 500G drive. The numbers on the box are Model RNG200N - which means it could be made by Cisco or someone else to Motorola standards. Got it just in time to store hours worth of Olympics. One day would have filled up the 10 year old model 6412.
So maybe, now, the large capacity boxes are now available everywhere. I did try in Miami several months ago (via phone) and they claimed they didn't have it.
...mike

Is the RNG200N the latest and greatest HD DVR from Comcast? I have the DCX3400 with 500GB. Is there any better box they have out, and if so, how is it better? Thanks all.
post #4348 of 4866 Old 08-09-2012, 03:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingdvd View Post

Is the RNG200N the latest and greatest HD DVR from Comcast? I have the DCX3400 with 500GB. Is there any better box they have out, and if so, how is it better? Thanks all.
It is the latest box. Only have had it 2 weeks. No "black screen" recording failures (so far) like the 3 diff. 3400 boxes we've had.

To answer the other post above yours - we haven't watched SD TV in a few years so wouldn't have the need to figure out if we can do the adjustments you want.

The old remotes work fine with this box and the 30 sec. skip can be programmed in, as on the other boxes.
post #4349 of 4866 Old 08-20-2012, 04:50 AM
Advanced Member

I have a DCX-3400, and want to know if I can seamlessly get HDMI and component outputs from it (HDMI would go to a TV, component to a projector). Not simultaneous, but sequentially with no menu effort. The unit is in a rental home far away so I can't try it for a while, but it would be a non-starter if guests had to go into the set-up menus to select the output type or display. I just want whichever display is powered on to get a signal with no intervention. Is this supported, or must a set-up menu be changed every time? Thanks.

Kevin
post #4350 of 4866 Old 08-20-2012, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin McCarthy View Post

I have a DCX-3400, and want to know if I can seamlessly get HDMI and component outputs from it (HDMI would go to a TV, component to a projector). Not simultaneous, but sequentially with no menu effort. The unit is in a rental home far away so I can't try it for a while, but it would be a non-starter if guests had to go into the set-up menus to select the output type or display. I just want whichever display is powered on to get a signal with no intervention. Is this supported, or must a set-up menu be changed every time? Thanks.
Kevin
On mine, both are active simultaneously with no need to access menus other than possibly some initial configuration.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page