Official AVS Motorola DCX series HD DVR Topic! - Page 16 - AVS Forum

AVS Forum > HDTV > HDTV Recorders > Official AVS Motorola DCX series HD DVR Topic!

HDTV Recorders

millerwill's Avatar millerwill
10:02 AM Liked: 47
post #451 of 4842
09-01-2009 | Posts: 11,444
Quote:
Originally Posted by csd View Post

The native setting holds on mine as well as long as the TV is turned on first when powering back on. Otherwise, the cable box tries to handshake and it doesn't like there being nothing on the other end so it reverts back to 1080i.

When you say 'powering back on', do you mean from a hard reset (i.e., unplugging the unit), or simply turning the power 'on' (if you have turned it off)? I assume the former, since I don't think any of us ever turn the cable box 'off' (except when going into the HDMI setup menu*!&).
htwaits's Avatar htwaits
10:14 AM Liked: 481
post #452 of 4842
09-01-2009 | Posts: 24,867
Quote:

The native setting holds on mine as well as long as the TV is turned on first when powering back on. Otherwise, the cable box tries to handshake and it doesn't like there being nothing on the other end so it reverts back to 1080i.

If you mean on after standby, that's when I lost "native". I'll check the order that my Harmony is doing power on. That's a possibility. I will have to turn on the Denon A/V and the TV first, and also make sure that the OPPO HDMI switch is pointing at the 3400.
htwaits's Avatar htwaits
11:06 AM Liked: 481
post #453 of 4842
I just changed the order for powering on our system -- TV, A/V Receiver, DCX-3400. The 3400 stayed in native mode after power off/on if the TV and receiver were left on. If I turned everything off/on then the 3400 reverted to it's default settings.

I tried recording ESPN in native mode (720p) and playing it back after a power cycle. The 3400 converted to 1080i in that case too.

Maybe a delay before turning on the 3400 will help. The OPPO HDMI switch stays pointed at the last input that was on, so it's probably not causing a problem in this test.

Does anyone know who to contact at Comcast about changing the FW?
stretch437's Avatar stretch437
11:09 AM Liked: 10
post #454 of 4842
09-01-2009 | Posts: 543
speaking of hard resets, my box spontaneously performed a hard reset while i was attempting to swap tuners this morning.

by hard reset i mean the lengthy boot up procedure ie it takes at least a minute before you even get a picture, and many minutes before the you get full menu functionality or any program information other than "to be announced".

this is the behavior you get when reconnecting the electrical power cord to the rear of the box after having had it disconnected for awhile: a truly hard reset, not just coming out of "standby".

the box was (and still is) running version 22.35 .

note this occurred after i spent a little time trying to clean up some old series recordings and creating some new ones.

in general the recording features are the buggiest part of the current software release.

for instance, just prior to today's crash, at one point i tried to add a new one-time recording and i was informed a recording for that show was already set, which couldn't possibly be true since i just stumbled across this show while browsing the EPG and never even knew that show (or even that channel actually) existed until that moment.

another time a few days ago i tried recording a show that i had rewound to the beginning of the buffer and even though i got a rectangular dialog telling me a recording had started, there was no other evidence of recording activity and the show did not appear in the "my recordings" menu. after about 5 fruitless tries, i swapped tuners and attempted recording the show via the program guide - it did result in a recording, but i did not get the entire show, only the portion of the show beginning at that moment going forward, even though i know the beginning of the show was still in the buffer associated with the other tuner.
csd's Avatar csd
12:40 PM Liked: 11
post #455 of 4842
09-01-2009 | Posts: 169
I don't ever actually turn off the DVR itself. When I do system off, just the TV and Denon AVR turn off. When I do the power on, it used to be set to turn the Denon on first, which I'm guessing would signal the DVR that it's now connected, so it would try to handshake. Since the Denon is just doing HDMI switching, it passes the signal straight on to the TV. If the TV isn't on yet, the DVR reverts back to 1080i. When I changed the startup to TV first, then a slight delay, then the Denon, the DVR has always stayed in Native.
htwaits's Avatar htwaits
12:46 PM Liked: 481
post #456 of 4842
Quote:

I don't ever actually turn off the DVR itself.

Is there a reason, other than using "native" mode, for keeping your DVR on all the time?
12:46 PM Liked: 47
post #457 of 4842
Quote:

I don't ever actually turn off the DVR itself. When I do system off, just the TV and Denon AVR turn off. When I do the power on, it used to be set to turn the Denon on first, which I'm guessing would signal the DVR that it's now connected, so it would try to handshake. Since the Denon is just doing HDMI switching, it passes the signal straight on to the TV. If the TV isn't on yet, the DVR reverts back to 1080i. When I changed the startup to TV first, then a slight delay, then the Denon, the DVR has always stayed in Native.

Thanks much for making this clear! Will try it tonight.
12:58 PM Liked: 10
post #458 of 4842
Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

Is there a reason, other than using "native" mode, for keeping your DVR on all the time?

i think this is genearlly desirable for anyone who has recordings scheduled.

i was under the impression the box would turn itself on at the time of a scheduled recording anyway.

as previously described, recording is generally the buggiest aspect of these boxes, and leaving the system on could avoid a whole class of bugs in this department.

two last reasons i personally leave mine on all the time:

- the buffer. when i power up my display i may discover that the current program is interesting. if i want to rewind back to the beginning of the buffer, i can do that if the box was on the whole time, and not if it just came out of standby.

- the clock. i set my front panel display to show the time, not the channel. it functions as an extra way to tell the time in my living room. i rely on it as much as any clock in the house. the clock does not display when the system is on standby.

i haven't plugged one of these things into a kill-a-watt to see how much power they consume, but i have basically made my peace with accepting the extra power drain in exchange for the benefits above.

and of course i'm convinced it also helps with the whole EDID issue you are experiencing as well.
htwaits's Avatar htwaits
01:22 PM Liked: 481
post #459 of 4842
Quote:

I don't ever actually turn off the DVR itself.

I just tried your setup and it works. The OPPO HDMI switch doesn't seem to cause a problem either.

Thanks.
htwaits's Avatar htwaits
01:24 PM Liked: 481
post #460 of 4842
Quote:
Originally Posted by stretch437 View Post

i think this is genearlly desirable for anyone who has recordings scheduled.

Thanks for the information. I'm now going to leave the DCX on 24/7, and my first test seems to have worked.
randman11's Avatar randman11
01:51 PM Liked: 10
post #461 of 4842
09-01-2009 | Posts: 39
This is what I received from tech support. My DCX is connected to my Sony A/V Receiver (via HDMI) and the receiver is then connected to my TV (via HDMI) - same setup I had with the earlier DCT and DCH boxes.

Valued Motorola Customer,

Thank you for choosing Motorola. I apologize for the inconvenience you are having with the HDMI connection reverting your DCX3425-M back to 480p. I will be happy to assist you with this.

The issue you are seeing is likely caused by an HDMI version incompatibility. The DCX boxes use HDMI 1.3, where the DCH boxes used HDMI 1.2. I would imagine that since your DCH box worked well with your receiver that your receiver uses HDMI 1.2. You will see handshake issues with versions that do not match.

My only suggestion is to contact the manufacturer of the receiver to see if they can update the receiver to HDMI 1.3. If that's not possible, you can eliminate the issue by switching to the Component connections.

I apologize for any inconvenience this has caused you.

If I can be of any further assistance, please let me know.
htwaits's Avatar htwaits
02:23 PM Liked: 481
post #462 of 4842
Quote:
Originally Posted by randman11 View Post

The issue you are seeing is likely caused by an HDMI version incompatibility. The DCX boxes use HDMI 1.3, where the DCH boxes used HDMI 1.2. I would imagine that since your DCH box worked well with your receiver that your receiver uses HDMI 1.2. You will see handshake issues with versions that do not match.

I don't trust this person's imagination, or the answer provided.
jonwww's Avatar jonwww
03:00 PM Liked: 10
post #463 of 4842
09-01-2009 | Posts: 734
Quote:

Not as much of a need to leave it on now a days. It was highly recommended years ago when the Moto DVR's first came out due to issues that would arise if the boxes were turned off (put in standby). These issues for the most part have been corrected.

I've been in the habit of leaving my box on all the time for years now. The only issue that I have when I do that is that every couple days when I turn the TV on I have no picture from the box on either tuner. I just have to change channels on the box to wake it up & it's fine from there. Have changed box a couple times & it's happened on each one for some reason. I have box hooked up via component, not HDMI.
jonwww's Avatar jonwww
03:05 PM Liked: 10
post #464 of 4842
Quote:
Originally Posted by randman11 View Post

This is what I received from tech support. My DCX is connected to my Sony A/V Receiver (via HDMI) and the receiver is then connected to my TV (via HDMI) - same setup I had with the earlier DCT and DCH boxes.

I think for the most part that is right though. You will not 'always' see an issue with different versions, but there is much more of a chance of it. Just one of the reasons I stick with the old trusty component connection, no version conflicts with that.
jonwww's Avatar jonwww
03:25 PM Liked: 10
post #465 of 4842
Quote:
Originally Posted by stretch437 View Post

i was under the impression the box would turn itself on at the time of a scheduled recording anyway.

Yes it will. And if there is no interaction with the box it will shut off when recording is finished. If you press any buttons on the remote or the box itself it will kick it out of the auto shutoff mode & stay on till someone turns it off.

Quote:

the clock does not display when the system is on standby.

You may have a defective box because if the clock is chosen for the front LED it should be on there whether the box is on or off (in standby). It will be a little dimmer, but it should be displayed.
03:27 PM Liked: 47
post #466 of 4842
My AVR (Onk 805) and pj (RS20) are both HDMI 1.3, so that doesn't explain the 'issues'.

The only hope I have for solving them is what csd suggested above, namely that with the DCX on, one FIRST turns on the projector (or tv) and THEN the AVR. My remote has been set up to turn on the AVR first, and it's possible that this may be the problem, as he discusses. (My AVR also simply does 'pass through' of the source signal to the 1080p pj).
04:15 PM Liked: 10
post #467 of 4842
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonwww View Post

if the clock is chosen for the front LED it should be on there whether the box is on or off (in standby).

oops. my memory is not so good i guess.
Mike99's Avatar Mike99
04:40 PM Liked: 51
post #468 of 4842
09-01-2009 | Posts: 3,052
I just got a brand new DCX3400 after going through 3 problematic DCH3416 units.

Can the front panel display be dimmed on the DCX3400? I searched & cannot find a way to do this. Has anyone found a way?
chickey01's Avatar chickey01
05:15 PM Liked: 10
post #469 of 4842
09-01-2009 | Posts: 4
Folks,

Here are the results of a recent exchange with the folks in Moto tech support regarding the problems I am having getting the DCX 3400 to talk with my TV...more to follow...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hello,

Whenever I hook up my Comcast provided Motorola DCX 3400 STB to my HDTV via an HDMI cable, I receive an error message indicating that the HDCP Authentication failed, and instructions to use a component video connection instead. This error appears to have been coincident with Comcast pushing the latest edition of the firmware (22.35) down to the box. The connection between the 3400 and the TV does not route through an intermediate device, and the TV itself (a 2009 Pioneer Elite Kuro Pro-151FD) has the latest firmware installed as well.

Since Comcast can only reset the box remotely (no impact) or send out technicians with little/no knowledge of software/firmware, I elected to contact you directly. Is this a known error, and is there a bug fix currently underway that will appear in the next version of the firmware? Are any other workarounds available? I cannot run component cables from the box to the TV, since the current installation involves HDMI only, in-wall wiring.

Thank you in advance for your and consideration.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you for choosing Motorola. I apologize for the inconvenience you are having with HDCP errors when using your DCX3400-M. I will be happy to assist as best I can.

There are no known issues with HDMI connectivity and HDCP with the DCX3400-M. Unfortunately, we do not have information specific to firmware versions, as that information is only relayed to cable providers, as they are responsible for updating the set top boxes' firmwares as necessary. Our technical support department is not included in firmware support. Only cable providers can offer that at this time.

The issue you are seeing does appear to be a conflict with the HDCP handshake. It may be a conflict with the HDMI versions that your devices are using. The DCX3400-M uses HDMI 1.3. You will need to ensure that your television matches this HDMI version, otherwise conflicts will occur with HDCP.

Unfortunately, the only workaround is to use the Component connection. As this does not appear to be a suitable solution for you, you will need to investigate this issue a bit further. My initial suggestion is to contact the manufacturer of your television or search its documentation to ensure that it is using HDMI 1.3. Past that, you may need to contact your cable provider again and have them escalate your issue so that your firmware can be investigated.

I apologize for the terrible inconvenience this has caused you. If I can be of any further assistance, please let me know.

Sincerely,

Motorola Broadband Technical Support

I respectfully disagree that there are no known issues with HDMI connectivity and HDCP with the DCX3400-M. Simply Google "motorola dcx3400 hdcp hdmi" and you'll see a whole littany of complaints regarding HDMI handshake errors, green screens, and the inability to connect directly or through intermediate devices. It is my understanding based on these postings that Firmware revision 22.35 was designed to address some of these issues, but it would appear the results have been mixed at best.

I validated that my TV, a 2009 Pioneer Elite Kuro, does indeed conform to HDMI 1.3 and HDCP 1.1 specifications. In addition, the HDMI connection worked properly until the latest firmware revision was loaded onto the 3400, which leads me to conclude that the error resides with the firmware in the 3400, and not in the TV itself.

Comcast tells me it's a Motorola problem, and you're telling me I need to escalate to Comcast to get it resolved. This is an unacceptable situation to place the consumer in, particularly when I have no ability to specify the type of cable box used in my home.

I apologize for the issues you are having with the firmware. We typically resolve any firmware issues with the service providers themselves, which is why I had you contact them regarding your issue.

I am going to escalate your issue to a higher tier of support so that we can investigate this more thoroughly. An agent from our upper levels of support will contact you within 48 business hours.

Once again, I apologize that you were tossed around back and forth. We will be sure we can find a sufficient resolution for you.

Sincerely,

Motorola Broadband Technical Support
jaxdan3's Avatar jaxdan3
06:38 PM Liked: 10
post #470 of 4842
09-01-2009 | Posts: 12
Definitely try all of the hdmi inputs on the back of your receiver. I have a Onkyo 606 and was getting green screens using hdmi input 2 but I just switched to input 1 and now it is working fine. (FYI I still have firmware 22.31 not the newer 22.35)
Grayson73's Avatar Grayson73
07:58 AM Liked: 16
post #471 of 4842
09-02-2009 | Posts: 1,099
I called Comcast Montgomery County, MD and they only have the DCH3416. Anyone in Montgomery County or Maryland find the DCX box?
jbdawson's Avatar jbdawson
10:11 AM Liked: 12
post #472 of 4842
09-02-2009 | Posts: 545
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonwww View Post

I think for the most part that is right though. You will not 'always' see an issue with different versions, but there is much more of a chance of it. Just one of the reasons I stick with the old trusty component connection, no version conflicts with that.

Why dont u guys just connect the hdmi from cable box to your tv, then a optical cord from cable box to receiver u would still get the same lossless audio wouldnt you? Is there a reason to avoid this set up and go from hdmi directly to receiver?

I go from hdmi to tv so i could listen to my tvs speakers as well and also my surround sound via optical cable maybe im losing quality doing this ?!
htwaits's Avatar htwaits
10:39 AM Liked: 481
post #473 of 4842
09-02-2009 | Posts: 24,867
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbdawson View Post

Why dont u guys just connect the hdmi from cable box to your tv, then a optical cord from cable box to receiver u would still get the same lossless audio wouldnt you? Is there a reason to avoid this set up and go from hdmi directly to receiver?

There isn't any lossless audio from TV. My reason for going through the receiver is that my TV is wall mounted, and the components are in the room behind the wall were the TV is mounted.

Quote:

I go from hdmi to tv so i could listen to my tvs speakers as well and also my surround sound via optical cable maybe im losing quality doing this ?!

Nope. You're not losing any quality with your setup.

The bottom line is that the DCX has some FW bugs. This native mode handshake problem is one, and the failure of the Ext. IR Input to receive signals is the second. Neither one is a killer.
02:50 PM Liked: 12
post #474 of 4842
Quote:

There isn't any lossless audio from TV. My reason for going through the receiver is that my TV is wall mounted, and the components are in the room behind the wall were the TV is mounted.

Nope. You're not losing any quality with your setup.

The bottom line is that the DCX has some FW bugs. This native mode handshake problem is one, and the failure of the Ext. IR Input to receive signals is the second. Neither one is a killer.

Right with cable and such, wiring, service feeding off everybody your right lossless wasnt the right word. What I meant was like getting the best quality you can. So with this handshake problem sets arent staying "native" after being powered on/off?

Mine is set to native and it stays native wether i power it on or off
02:55 PM Liked: 12
post #475 of 4842
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickey01 View Post

Folks,

Here are the results of a recent exchange with the folks in Moto tech support regarding the problems I am having getting the DCX 3400 to talk with my TV...more to follow...

Hello,

Whenever I hook up my Comcast provided Motorola DCX 3400 STB to my HDTV via an HDMI cable, I receive an error message indicating that the HDCP Authentication failed, and instructions to use a component video connection instead. This error appears to have been coincident with Comcast pushing the latest edition of the firmware (22.35) down to the box. The connection between the 3400 and the TV does not route through an intermediate device, and the TV itself (a 2009 Pioneer Elite Kuro Pro-151FD) has the latest firmware installed as well.

Perhaps its your tv not agreeing with the box for some reason? seems i like most people have hdmi directly to there tv with no problems

unless there are bad apples out there
htwaits's Avatar htwaits
03:06 PM Liked: 481
post #476 of 4842
09-02-2009 | Posts: 24,867
Quote:

Mine is set to native and it stays native wether i power it on or off

That's right. The handshake problem doesn't bother your type of setup as long as you keep your DCX on all the time. The DCX only has to deal with your TV when you turn it on.
03:19 PM Liked: 47
post #477 of 4842
09-02-2009 | Posts: 11,444
Quote:

Perhaps its your tv not agreeing with the box for some reason? seems i like most people have hdmi directly to there tv with no problems

unless there are bad apples out there

You're probably right. The problem is for people with projectors, say (like me), who connect the HDMI out of the DCX to an AVR (for audio), and HDMI from it to the projector (for video).
03:32 PM Liked: 12
post #478 of 4842
Quote:

That's right. The handshake problem doesn't bother your type of setup as long as you keep your DCX on all the time. The DCX only has to deal with your TV when you turn it on.

Thing is I dont keep the DCX on all the time, my harmony powers everything off. My DVR stays native.

@miller yup thats just to bad good thing its brought to there attention next fw hopefully will address it
cypherstream's Avatar cypherstream
03:33 PM Liked: 10
post #479 of 4842
09-02-2009 | Posts: 781
What if you get an HDMI splitter like one of these http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2 ?

Then you could take one HDMI out to the AVR, and the other to the TV. Hopefully then the AVR's pass through wouldn't keep fudging up the set top's output settings.
jonwww's Avatar jonwww
03:53 PM Liked: 10
post #480 of 4842
09-02-2009 | Posts: 734
Quote:

Actually I have several pieces of equipment connected via the Component connection to a Zektor HDS4.2 component switch so all audio & video goes straight to my TV. The switch also handles digital audio (coaxial and/or optical) & have an optical connection then going to my receiver.

Reply HDTV Recorders

Subscribe to this Thread