Official AVS Motorola DCX series HD DVR Topic! - Page 160 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #4771 of 4779 Old 04-29-2014, 06:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 131

That's only ~$2.00/month here in Southeast (TVA, 9.5-cents/kwh).

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4772 of 4779 Old 04-29-2014, 06:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Your decimal is in wrong place.

At 30 watts which = .03 KW each hour times 720 hours a months equals $21.60! (I used 10¢/KWH.

Actually found exact usage of power by the DCX 3400:
Power on 27.11 watts
Power off 27.29 watts

These boxes are the biggest waste of energy in the home. Waste = power used for not doing anything productive. In most of the country we pay 13-15¢/KWH.
post #4773 of 4779 Old 04-29-2014, 09:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 131

30 W x 24 hr x 30 days = 21,600 W/month / 1000 = 21.6 kwh x $0.095/kwh = $2.052

Like a 30W lightbulb.

post #4774 of 4779 Old 04-29-2014, 11:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Don't report me to the SAT people that years ago gave me a high score in math.
post #4775 of 4779 Old 04-30-2014, 02:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by snidely View Post

Nobody has mentioned these boxes are huge energy drains. They use 30+ watts of juice day and nite - only a couple watts diff. between regular mode and sleep mode. They can run up your electric bill as much as a refrigerator which only runs part time.
I think the new models just coming out use a fraction of the power.

I did and you replied!:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/968638/official-avs-motorola-dcx-series-hd-dvr-topic/4350#post_22369962
post #4776 of 4779 Old 07-21-2014, 01:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I'm having a weird problem lately. Because of the concentration of new programming on Sundays and Mondays, and because here in Oregon, Comcast has moved many cable channels from East Coast feeds to West Coast feeds, I have lots of series conflicts on Sunday and Monday nights, in some cases as many as four series that I want to record that are all on at the same time. I prioritize the broadcast channel series highest to make sure they get recorded (since they're only broadcast once and not rerun during the week). So on a Sunday or Monday, I may have as many as 5 cable shows that won't be recorded since two programs are already being recorded in those time slots.

When I notice this (the upcoming recordings listing shows these series with the double crossed-out circles, indicating they won't be recorded), I go to the list of upcoming episodes of that series, pick a late night rerun of the episode I want, and set it to manually record. However, when doing this with four or five series in one night, sometimes I'll pick a late night rerun of the episode I want, select it to manually record, and the system gives me a message stating that two things are already set to record in that time slot, asking me if I want to record anyway or cancel. When I cancel and go back to look at which series are already set to record in that time slot, the lower priority episode (the one in conflict with the one I was now going to record) is listed with a single crossed-out circle, indicating that now it too won't record, even though there's no conflicts preventing it from recording. Now, nothing I try makes the crossed-out circle go away. I go to the episode and try to record it again, the system says OK, but the crossed-out circle still remains in the upcoming recordings list.

Plus, a single crossed-out circle should never appear anyway. If you cancel a manual recording, the whole listing should just disappear from the upcoming recordings list.

This just started happening last week. I did reboot the DVR (unplug the power and plug back in). The guide took a very long time to reload (couple of days), and all the single crossed-out circles disappeared, but so did any evidence of those manual recordings. When I went back in to set them up again, I experienced the same problem. Of course, since these cable series are rerun multiple times during the week, I can just go in and pick an even later episode. But the problem bugs me just the same.

Has anyone else experienced anything like this lately?
post #4777 of 4779 Old 07-21-2014, 02:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crossbeaux View Post
I'm having a weird problem lately. Because of the concentration of new programming on Sundays and Mondays, and because here in Oregon, Comcast has moved many cable channels from East Coast feeds to West Coast feeds, I have lots of series conflicts on Sunday and Monday nights, in some cases as many as four series that I want to record that are all on at the same time. I prioritize the broadcast channel series highest to make sure they get recorded (since they're only broadcast once and not rerun during the week). So on a Sunday or Monday, I may have as many as 5 cable shows that won't be recorded since two programs are already being recorded in those time slots.

When I notice this (the upcoming recordings listing shows these series with the double crossed-out circles, indicating they won't be recorded), I go to the list of upcoming episodes of that series, pick a late night rerun of the episode I want, and set it to manually record. However, when doing this with four or five series in one night, sometimes I'll pick a late night rerun of the episode I want, select it to manually record, and the system gives me a message stating that two things are already set to record in that time slot, asking me if I want to record anyway or cancel. When I cancel and go back to look at which series are already set to record in that time slot, the lower priority episode (the one in conflict with the one I was now going to record) is listed with a single crossed-out circle, indicating that now it too won't record, even though there's no conflicts preventing it from recording. Now, nothing I try makes the crossed-out circle go away. I go to the episode and try to record it again, the system says OK, but the crossed-out circle still remains in the upcoming recordings list.

Plus, a single crossed-out circle should never appear anyway. If you cancel a manual recording, the whole listing should just disappear from the upcoming recordings list.

This just started happening last week. I did reboot the DVR (unplug the power and plug back in). The guide took a very long time to reload (couple of days), and all the single crossed-out circles disappeared, but so did any evidence of those manual recordings. When I went back in to set them up again, I experienced the same problem. Of course, since these cable series are rerun multiple times during the week, I can just go in and pick an even later episode. But the problem bugs me just the same.

Has anyone else experienced anything like this lately?
Can't you make use of "On Demand" to get most broadcast channel shows.
post #4778 of 4779 Old 07-21-2014, 04:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by snidely View Post
Can't you make use of "On Demand" to get most broadcast channel shows.
Sure. There are a lot of things I can do to make sure I get to watch all the shows I want. I can watch the network shows, and even the cable shows on demand. But I don't know about you, but I hate watching shows On Demand because of the inability (or poor ability) to skip commercials. So I'd much rather watch them from the DVR where I can 30-second skip to my heart's content. I can also record much later reruns of the cable shows to make sure they don't conflict. It's just that I didn't have to before this "bug" happened in the last week or so.
post #4779 of 4779 Old 07-21-2014, 04:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crossbeaux View Post
Sure. There are a lot of things I can do to make sure I get to watch all the shows I want. I can watch the network shows, and even the cable shows on demand. But I don't know about you, but I hate watching shows On Demand because of the inability (or poor ability) to skip commercials. So I'd much rather watch them from the DVR where I can 30-second skip to my heart's content. I can also record much later reruns of the cable shows to make sure they don't conflict. It's just that I didn't have to before this "bug" happened in the last week or so.
I agree 100% about the "pain" involved w. watching shows "On Demand". Our 30 sec. skip button is the most used button on the remote. Also, maybe it's my imagination - the pic quality doesn't seem quite as good. Also, if you want to back up 15 sec. to catch some dialog you missed, you can't seem to do that. At least with us it will go back 2-5 minutes - not just 15 sec. And I wasn't able to set closed captioning on that particular show. When you record, you can turn CC on if you want, after it records. Haven't tried CC on other On Demand shows.
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page