AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcap93 View Post
Turn the box off, then press OK/SELECT within a few seconds to bring up the diagnostic menu.

Press the up or down arrow keys until "d13 DVR/HDD STATUS" is highlighted.

Press OK/SELECT to bring up the "DVR/Hard Drive Status" screen, then press the down arrow key once to go to the second page. The current and highest hard drive temperature readings will show up, near the bottom of the screen.
Hmm, cable DVR RC's OK/Select button doesn't do anything when I hold it down. I do see DVR's LED status show "IR" text when I hold it down. Am I doing it wrong or did TWC remove it?

Last edited by phildaant; 09-05-2014 at 08:15 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4802 of 4816 Old 09-05-2014, 09:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phildaant View Post
Hmm, cable DVR RC's OK/Select button doesn't do anything when I hold it down. I do see DVR's LED status show "IR" text when I hold it down. Am I doing it wrong or did TWC remove it?
Ah, it worked if the DVR is already powered on and see its blinking mail icon in the DVR's status screen, and then its up/down button.

I see D13's page 2 showing:
120F 49.0C
No Over Temp
Max: 127F 53.0C

Nice, SMART sensors. Too bad we can't export these easily to a text file.

Last edited by phildaant; 09-05-2014 at 09:20 AM.
post #4803 of 4816 Old 09-05-2014, 12:16 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
I see D13's page 2 showing:
120F 49.0C
No Over Temp
Max: 127F 53.0C
That sounds about right for the 3510.
phildaant likes this.
post #4804 of 4816 Old 09-05-2014, 12:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcap93 View Post
That sounds about right for the 3510.
Cool. I hope this DVR was designed to handle that hot. It will be mid 90s degrees this weekend.
post #4805 of 4816 Old 09-09-2014, 08:59 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 131
spambot post and corresponding quote removed. Sorry Phil.

S~
phildaant likes this.

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself
post #4806 of 4816 Old 09-14-2014, 11:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Tonight, my Arris DVR (Navigator) needed a power cycle because:

1. Its on demand kept saying unavailable and to retry later when I scroll down its TV shows even though I can see stuff. However, I wasn't able to play anything.
2. DVR wouldn't play of my recordings (tonight's and a few days ago).

I last used it was a couple nights ago to watch my recordings. I had to powercycle it and wait about five/5 minutes. Regular power off and on didn't fix the issues I ran into earlier.

I remember Motorola cable boxes, with their iGuide, had problems too that needed to power cycle (didn't have to wait long).

What about the rest of you guys? Thank you in advance.
post #4807 of 4816 Old 09-16-2014, 08:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Hello.

Can Arris DCX3510 DVR's rear firewire, USB, and network be used for
anything?

Thank you in advance.
post #4808 of 4816 Old 09-16-2014, 09:31 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Missed the first half of Masterchef last night. Didn't record due to a "fatal hardware error". Caught it halfway through and hit the record button and it recorded the rest of the show. Other recordings worked fine. Time for a new DVR?
post #4809 of 4816 Old 09-16-2014, 11:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by vando45 View Post
Missed the first half of Masterchef last night. Didn't record due to a "fatal hardware error". Caught it halfway through and hit the record button and it recorded the rest of the show. Other recordings worked fine. Time for a new DVR?
Check its logs? I think RC's menu button -> Apps -> DVR -> Manage ...
post #4810 of 4816 Old 09-16-2014, 11:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by vando45 View Post
Check its logs? I think RC's menu button -> Apps -> DVR -> Manage ...
post #4811 of 4816 Old 09-16-2014, 11:58 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Quote:
Can Arris DCX3510 DVR's rear firewire, USB, and network be used for
anything?
I don't have one, so I can't speak firsthand.

But throughout Motorola/Arris history the USB and network ports have been non-functional as implemented by US cable systems using the hardware.

However the firewire port has ALWAYS been functional and active, intended for connection to an external DVHS VCR for offload/archiving of content from the DVR to DVHS tape. (With the correct drivers and OS on your PC, you could also offload/archive copy-freely content from DVR to PC.)

This DVHS VCR and firewire mechanism is usable for both copy-freely and copy-once content, so you can make a digitally 100% bit-perfect DVHS tape copy of any program you can watch/record on your DVR (thus excluding any pay-per-view or OnDemand, which is marked copy-never and cannot even be recorded on the DVR itself). Of course you cannot make a 2nd-generation DVHS tape copy of a DVHS tape copy of copy-once content (say if you had a second DVHS VCR which can connect to the first DVHS VCR by firewire) as the content is marked "copy-once". You can only have that first-generation DVHS tape copy made from DVR-to-VCR.

That said, ever since the initial early days of the DCX family of products the firewire recording mechanism has been "truly broken" or "iffy". Rumor had it that Motorola/Arris had finally fixed the firmware to get this working again to the essentially glitch-free 100% reliability of the earlier generation DCT* and DCH* boxes, both of which had TWO firewire ports on those units and also used a different manufacturer internal firewire chip on the motherboard.

With the introduction of the current generation DCX* equipment, they went to a single firewire port and a new manufacturer internal firewire chip, and that's what most likely conspired to "break" this previously usable firewire recording mechanism. Rumor has it that these early problems have finally been fixed with more recent firmware/software upgrades to the DCX* units, but I cannot confirm that since I don't use one.
phildaant likes this.
post #4812 of 4816 Old 09-16-2014, 12:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSperber View Post
I don't have one, so I can't speak firsthand.

But throughout Motorola/Arris history the USB and network ports have been non-functional as implemented by US cable systems using the hardware.

However the firewire port has ALWAYS been functional and active, intended for connection to an external DVHS VCR for offload/archiving of content from the DVR to DVHS tape. (With the correct drivers and OS on your PC, you could also offload/archive copy-freely content from DVR to PC.)

This DVHS VCR and firewire mechanism is usable for both copy-freely and copy-once content, so you can make a digitally 100% bit-perfect DVHS tape copy of any program you can watch/record on your DVR (thus excluding any pay-per-view or OnDemand, which is marked copy-never and cannot even be recorded on the DVR itself). Of course you cannot make a 2nd-generation DVHS tape copy of a DVHS tape copy of copy-once content (say if you had a second DVHS VCR which can connect to the first DVHS VCR by firewire) as the content is marked "copy-once". You can only have that first-generation DVHS tape copy made from DVR-to-VCR.

That said, ever since the initial early days of the DCX family of products the firewire recording mechanism has been "truly broken" or "iffy". Rumor had it that Motorola/Arris had finally fixed the firmware to get this working again to the essentially glitch-free 100% reliability of the earlier generation DCT* and DCH* boxes, both of which had TWO firewire ports on those units and also used a different manufacturer internal firewire chip on the motherboard.

With the introduction of the current generation DCX* equipment, they went to a single firewire port and a new manufacturer internal firewire chip, and that's what most likely conspired to "break" this previously usable firewire recording mechanism. Rumor has it that these early problems have finally been fixed with more recent firmware/software upgrades to the DCX* units, but I cannot confirm that since I don't use one.
Interesting. TWC said they are not used for anything. Why have them then? Sheesh.
post #4813 of 4816 Old 09-16-2014, 02:03 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Quote:
Interesting. TWC said they are not used for anything. Why have them then? Sheesh.
Well, very few people actually have DVHS VCR's these days (although I still have four of them, though they've gotten near-zero use ever since I went to HTPC for the whole-house). JVC stopped manufacturing them many years ago, and tape recorder technology is considered from yesteryear.

So TWC CSR's may just not really know about their use or purpose. But the firewire port is at least not disabled by TWC as far as I know (as the USB and network ports are), so if you did have a DVHS VCR you at least would be able to try to successfully offload glitch-free to blank DVHS tape (which again, they don't make anymore and which is very hard to find nowadays). If the DCX* firmware truly has been finally fixed, it probably would work fine.
phildaant likes this.
post #4814 of 4816 Old 09-16-2014, 02:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSperber View Post
Well, very few people actually have DVHS VCR's these days (although I still have four of them, though they've gotten near-zero use ever since I went to HTPC for the whole-house). JVC stopped manufacturing them many years ago, and tape recorder technology is considered from yesteryear.

So TWC CSR's may just not really know about their use or purpose. But the firewire port is at least not disabled by TWC as far as I know (as the USB and network ports are), so if you did have a DVHS VCR you at least would be able to try to successfully offload glitch-free to blank DVHS tape (which again, they don't make anymore and which is very hard to find nowadays). If the DCX* firmware truly has been finally fixed, it probably would work fine.
I have a regular Toshiba W627 VCR, from dotcom days, that used VHS tapes. I don't use it anymore. I know it doesn't come with a firewire port so that won't do.

I do have computers with firewire ports, but I never used them before.
post #4815 of 4816 Old 09-18-2014, 07:36 AM
AVS Special Member

A few days ago, my Arris DVR (Navigator) needed a power cycle because:

1. Its on demand kept saying unavailable and to retry later when I scroll down its TV shows even though I can see stuff. However, I wasn't able to play anything.
2. DVR wouldn't play of my recordings (tonight's and a few days ago).

I last used it was a couple nights before it to watch my recordings. I had to powercycle it and wait over five/5 minutes (takes forever!). Regular RC power off and on didn't fix the issues I ran into earlier.

This morning, I had to power cycle a non-DVR Arris DCX3200M cable TV box because it only showed the video/picture for one/1 second and then nothing (no signal according to Samsung HDTV).

I remember the older Motorola, before Arris took over, cable boxes, with their iGuide, had problems too that needed to power cycle (didn't have to wait long).

What about the rest of you guys? Thank you in advance.
post #4816 of 4816 Old 09-18-2014, 11:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 33
I still have numerous DVHS decks, andeven have several brand new in box never opened JVC 30K, 40K, and 100/110U's!
I have pretty much every US consumer DVHS deck offered as well as the JVC-SR-VDA400 commerical deck, as well as other AVHDD recorder/players.
Firewire / AVC was such a wonderfull system it is a shame it was priced too high and feared by the content owners.
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page