Official AVS Motorola DCX series HD DVR Topic! - Page 162 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 31Likes

post #4831 of 4842 Old 09-23-2014, 03:20 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 7
From what I can tell, 1080p is available thru HDMI (and all the other listed resolutions are available through the component video outputs). Mainly, I am not interested in a subscription service DVR, but I may be stuck with that.
phildaant likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4832 of 4842 Old 09-23-2014, 03:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryBowman View Post
From what I can tell, 1080p is available thru HDMI (and all the other listed resolutions are available through the component video outputs). Mainly, I am not interested in a subscription service DVR, but I may be stuck with that.
You probably build a HTPC to support both OTA and cable cards.
HenryBowman likes this.
post #4833 of 4842 Old 09-26-2014, 12:35 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Looks like I am able to return it, so all is well. (I know you all were concerned.)

Last edited by HenryBowman; 09-26-2014 at 01:34 PM.
post #4834 of 4842 Old 10-26-2014, 12:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Last week, I noticed something unusual about my DVR and the AnyRoom auxiliary unit. I usually leave them both on all the time. But every morning I would get up and they would be off. Examining the menus, I found several new features that I hadn't noticed before.

S/W version: 82.41 - a31.1704.r2
F/W version: 82.87

New features available from the regular guide menu. (Press Menu button twice, then choose Setup)

Power Save Setup -- You can select a period of inactivity after which the unit automatically shuts off (that was why my units were off when I thought they were on. Default 4 hrs.

Closed Captioning -- You can now turn closed captioning on and off without turning off the unit like before.

Remote Key Setup -- You can now do minimal programming of the A, B, C, and D keys (but my remote doesn't seem to have a D key)

From the Power off menu (Press the Power button to turn off unit, then press the Menu button)

You can select Native mode and also turn screen stretch on or off (my aux unit had defaulted to stretch on for non-hd channels, which I did not want)

You can also select the front panel brightness level from this menu, with several options.

I don't know how many of these features were available before, but I hadn't noticed them myself, so I thought I would mention them here. I know that a lot of people complained about brightness levels and accessibility of closed captioning.

Additional info: Also, now when watching a recording, when you push the Play button, it not only displays how far into the recording you are (which it always did), but it also pauses the recording. I'm not sure I like that, because I generally just push Play to see how much of the show is left, not to pause things. But a quick second push of Play starts the recording again.
DocCasualty and FW_Engineer like this.

Last edited by crossbeaux; 10-26-2014 at 05:05 PM. Reason: More info.
post #4835 of 4842 Old 10-28-2014, 04:23 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by crossbeaux View Post

Power Save Setup -- You can select a period of inactivity after which the unit automatically shuts off (that was why my units were off when I thought they were on. Default 4 hrs.

Additional info: Also, now when watching a recording, when you push the Play button, it not only displays how far into the recording you are (which it always did), but it also pauses the recording. I'm not sure I like that, because I generally just push Play to see how much of the show is left, not to pause things. But a quick second push of Play starts the recording again.
Thank you for posting this. I joined this forum just to reply and give thanks, because, after 3 days of exasperation with Comcast/Xfinity "customer support", I found this in 20 seconds after a Google search. I was unaware of the power-off menu selection, as I'd never seen it before.

I would come home, turn on the TV, and see no picture. The DVR was off and, of course, there was nothing in the live broadcast buffer. Additionally, my PLAY button wouldn't let me review the timeline without pausing. All this as you describe above.

But, I didn't realize there had been a FW "upgrade". I called customer support and explained the situation. They were totally clueless, patronizing, and seemed to be making things up: "we can't send a reset to your DVR because it is a very strong signal and could damage your equipment". Hmmm.

It's odd that they chose a default of powering off in 4 hours. I have programs scheduled to be recorded weeks from now. Last night my DVR had already powered off before a scheduled recording and therefore the recording never happened. The new behaviour of the PLAY button is awful - there's already a PAUSE button.

I've already logged a complaint with Comcast/Infinity about the support staff being unaware of these new DVR behaviours when I was easily able to find it on the net.
phildaant likes this.
post #4836 of 4842 Old 10-28-2014, 05:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FW_Engineer View Post
Thank you for posting this. I joined this forum just to reply and give thanks, because, after 3 days of exasperation with Comcast/Xfinity "customer support", I found this in 20 seconds after a Google search. I was unaware of the power-off menu selection, as I'd never seen it before.

I would come home, turn on the TV, and see no picture. The DVR was off and, of course, there was nothing in the live broadcast buffer. Additionally, my PLAY button wouldn't let me review the timeline without pausing. All this as you describe above.

But, I didn't realize there had been a FW "upgrade". I called customer support and explained the situation. They were totally clueless, patronizing, and seemed to be making things up: "we can't send a reset to your DVR because it is a very strong signal and could damage your equipment". Hmmm.

It's odd that they chose a default of powering off in 4 hours. I have programs scheduled to be recorded weeks from now. Last night my DVR had already powered off before a scheduled recording and therefore the recording never happened. The new behaviour of the PLAY button is awful - there's already a PAUSE button.

I've already logged a complaint with Comcast/Infinity about the support staff being unaware of these new DVR behaviours when I was easily able to find it on the net.
Theoretically, having the unit off shouldn't affect its ability to record programming in the future. When off, the unit should turn on when it's time to record a show, and turn off again when the recording is finished. Nor should the off state affect the live broadcast buffer. At least it didn't for me. The Play button behavior is annoying, but pressing it twice leave the timeline up for a few more seconds.
phildaant likes this.
post #4837 of 4842 Old 10-30-2014, 04:30 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Theoretically, having the unit off shouldn't affect its ability to record programming in the future. ... Nor should the off state affect the live broadcast buffer.
Yes, that's the way it was before the FW upgrade. BTW, my DVR is a DCX3400-m.

After the upgrade, I would turn on the tv by separate remote and I'd get a blank screen showing channel 3 selected. No picture. DVR blue power light was off, but clock display was on. I'd need to physically touch the DVR's power button to get the DVR to feed the cable signal to the tv. Also, the live feed buffer was empty and it never used to be that way.

Also noticed that it didn't wake up to record programs.

Now I've just got the power save feature disabled and everything works as before: picture comes on immediately and I've got my live buffer. The blue power light is on all the time, though.

I don't see any improvement in this upgrade: it's three steps backwards for me.
post #4838 of 4842 Old 11-01-2014, 12:49 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by FW_Engineer View Post
Yes, that's the way it was before the FW upgrade. BTW, my DVR is a DCX3400-m.

After the upgrade, I would turn on the tv by separate remote and I'd get a blank screen showing channel 3 selected. No picture. DVR blue power light was off, but clock display was on. I'd need to physically touch the DVR's power button to get the DVR to feed the cable signal to the tv. Also, the live feed buffer was empty and it never used to be that way.

Also noticed that it didn't wake up to record programs.

Now I've just got the power save feature disabled and everything works as before: picture comes on immediately and I've got my live buffer. The blue power light is on all the time, though.

I don't see any improvement in this upgrade: it's three steps backwards for me.
I recently exchanged my Xfinity/Comcast DCX 3400 m DVR for a DCX 3501 & the PQ (on my
Sony KDL 32XBR6) is a nice upgrade from the 1080i I was getting from the DCX 3400 (which in all honesty was OK)

I don't remember if it was in this thread or another that someone mentioned that the "On Demand"
PQ was'nt quite as good as Broadcast (or the shows that you've recorded for that matter). I'm not quite sure if the 3501 is giving me the 1080p60 that my Sony Tv displays when I switch the input to the one that I'm using for this DVR, but I'd probably be skeptical if someone told me I could get the very acceptable PQ I'm getting from Comcast 10 or 15 yrs ago.

How much of a difference the PS Audio PP500 (that my DVR & TV are plugged into) is making I'm
not really sure (I'd guess a good amount as it is Xfinity/Comcast I'm using here)
post #4839 of 4842 Old 11-01-2014, 03:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Last week, I noticed something unusual about my DVR and the AnyRoom auxiliary unit. I usually leave them both on all the time. But every morning I would get up and they would be off. Examining the menus, I found several new features that I hadn't noticed before.

S/W version: 82.41 - a31.1704.r2
F/W version: 82.87

New features available from the regular guide menu. (Press Menu button twice, then choose Setup)

Closed Captioning -- You can now turn closed captioning on and off without turning off the unit like before.

Remote Key Setup -- You can now do minimal programming of the A, B, C, and D keys (but my remote doesn't seem to have a D key)

From the Power off menu (Press the Power button to turn off unit, then press the Menu button)

You can select Native mode and also turn screen stretch on or off (my aux unit had defaulted to stretch on for non-hd channels, which I did not want)

You can also select the front panel brightness level from this menu, with several options.

I don't know how many of these features were available before, but I hadn't noticed them myself, so I thought I would mention them here. I know that a lot of people complained about brightness levels and accessibility of closed captioning.

One other thing I just noticed about this update. It seems to have fixed a problem I have been complaining about for literally YEARS. That is, when you pause live programming, and then play a recorded program, the live program didn't actually stay paused. If you watched the recorded program for five minutes, say, then went back to the live program, the live program would be paused but advanced by five minutes. When I tested this again today, the live program seemed to stay paused at the original point I paused it, while I watched a recorded program. Hallelujah!
post #4840 of 4842 Old 11-03-2014, 06:01 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Problem with DCX3501-m and Seagate DVR Expander 1TB STAP1000103

Hi everyone,

Our old Motorola DCT3416 from Comcast began showing problems nearly a month ago and we were upgraded to a new DCX3501-m under the RNG200N badge about two weeks ago.

Upon seeing that there was an e-SATA port on the back and doing some research, I discovered that Comcast supports a 1TB drive from Western Digital (the WDBACS0010HBK-NESN).

Being a software engineer for a living, I've had more bad luck with Western Digital badged drives than all others (others may feel differently). So, I looked around and discovered the Seagate STAP10000103 DVR expander. I purchased that and it arrived several days ago.

The DCX3501-m recognizes the drive, and formats it. That's the good part.

The bad part is that the DCX3501-m now periodically freezes (1-2 times a day) for several seconds when control features are used (such as changing channels, switching to OnDemand, or bringing up menus) after which a popup window appears requesting that the external drive be detached from the unit. I can then power down the drive by removing the power connector, and then power it up again. Several seconds after the drive is powered up, a popup window appears stating that the external drive is now in use.

We've also noticed what looks like some lower than normal frame rate video coming from the DCX3501-m (it's choppy looking) when the drive is connected.

So my question is: Is there any hope I can resolve this? Or should I just order the Western Digital unit which Comcast supports?

Thanks.
post #4841 of 4842 Old 11-22-2014, 10:40 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
This week I got a DCX-3510M from Bright House cable and apparently the firmware they have on it has a limited user menu, in that it doesn't include all the options I see on the the Motorola user guide. There is no option to dim the LEDs, no option to display the channel instead of the clock, no option to configure audio for pass through, etc. My question is whether anyone is aware of any hidden menus on this DVR other than the User Menu (Power Off - Menu) and Diagnostic Menu (Power Off - Select)?
post #4842 of 4842 Old 11-22-2014, 10:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennhaven View Post
This week I got a DCX-3510M from Bright House cable and apparently the firmware they have on it has a limited user menu, in that it doesn't include all the options I see on the the Motorola user guide. There is no option to dim the LEDs, no option to display the channel instead of the clock, no option to configure audio for pass through, etc. My question is whether anyone is aware of any hidden menus on this DVR other than the User Menu (Power Off - Menu) and Diagnostic Menu (Power Off - Select)?
I think those are all the menus. You might check to see which version of firmware and software your box is running. Bright House might not be up to the level that, for example, Comcast is. However, channel vs. clock has been there since day 1, so that's confusing.
post #4843 of 4842 Old 11-22-2014, 04:18 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
I think those are all the menus. You might check to see which version of firmware and software your box is running. Bright House might not be up to the level that, for example, Comcast is. However, channel vs. clock has been there since day 1, so that's confusing.
The firmware version on my Bright House 3510M is Bedford-H-1.2 14.44. Ocap Version 1.0 |16. Software version 14.44.
Reply HDTV Recorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page