Official AVS Motorola DCX series HD DVR Topic! - Page 162 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-23-2014, 02:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryBowman View Post
From what I can tell, 1080p is available thru HDMI (and all the other listed resolutions are available through the component video outputs). Mainly, I am not interested in a subscription service DVR, but I may be stuck with that.
You probably build a HTPC to support both OTA and cable cards.
HenryBowman likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-26-2014, 11:35 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Looks like I am able to return it, so all is well. (I know you all were concerned.)

Last edited by HenryBowman; 09-26-2014 at 12:34 PM.
Old 10-26-2014, 11:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Last week, I noticed something unusual about my DVR and the AnyRoom auxiliary unit. I usually leave them both on all the time. But every morning I would get up and they would be off. Examining the menus, I found several new features that I hadn't noticed before.

S/W version: 82.41 - a31.1704.r2
F/W version: 82.87

New features available from the regular guide menu. (Press Menu button twice, then choose Setup)

Power Save Setup -- You can select a period of inactivity after which the unit automatically shuts off (that was why my units were off when I thought they were on. Default 4 hrs.

Closed Captioning -- You can now turn closed captioning on and off without turning off the unit like before.

Remote Key Setup -- You can now do minimal programming of the A, B, C, and D keys (but my remote doesn't seem to have a D key)

From the Power off menu (Press the Power button to turn off unit, then press the Menu button)

You can select Native mode and also turn screen stretch on or off (my aux unit had defaulted to stretch on for non-hd channels, which I did not want)

You can also select the front panel brightness level from this menu, with several options.

I don't know how many of these features were available before, but I hadn't noticed them myself, so I thought I would mention them here. I know that a lot of people complained about brightness levels and accessibility of closed captioning.

Additional info: Also, now when watching a recording, when you push the Play button, it not only displays how far into the recording you are (which it always did), but it also pauses the recording. I'm not sure I like that, because I generally just push Play to see how much of the show is left, not to pause things. But a quick second push of Play starts the recording again.
DocCasualty and FW_Engineer like this.

Last edited by crossbeaux; 10-26-2014 at 04:05 PM. Reason: More info.
Old 10-28-2014, 03:23 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by crossbeaux View Post

Power Save Setup -- You can select a period of inactivity after which the unit automatically shuts off (that was why my units were off when I thought they were on. Default 4 hrs.

Additional info: Also, now when watching a recording, when you push the Play button, it not only displays how far into the recording you are (which it always did), but it also pauses the recording. I'm not sure I like that, because I generally just push Play to see how much of the show is left, not to pause things. But a quick second push of Play starts the recording again.
Thank you for posting this. I joined this forum just to reply and give thanks, because, after 3 days of exasperation with Comcast/Xfinity "customer support", I found this in 20 seconds after a Google search. I was unaware of the power-off menu selection, as I'd never seen it before.

I would come home, turn on the TV, and see no picture. The DVR was off and, of course, there was nothing in the live broadcast buffer. Additionally, my PLAY button wouldn't let me review the timeline without pausing. All this as you describe above.

But, I didn't realize there had been a FW "upgrade". I called customer support and explained the situation. They were totally clueless, patronizing, and seemed to be making things up: "we can't send a reset to your DVR because it is a very strong signal and could damage your equipment". Hmmm.

It's odd that they chose a default of powering off in 4 hours. I have programs scheduled to be recorded weeks from now. Last night my DVR had already powered off before a scheduled recording and therefore the recording never happened. The new behaviour of the PLAY button is awful - there's already a PAUSE button.

I've already logged a complaint with Comcast/Infinity about the support staff being unaware of these new DVR behaviours when I was easily able to find it on the net.
phildaant likes this.
Old 10-28-2014, 04:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FW_Engineer View Post
Thank you for posting this. I joined this forum just to reply and give thanks, because, after 3 days of exasperation with Comcast/Xfinity "customer support", I found this in 20 seconds after a Google search. I was unaware of the power-off menu selection, as I'd never seen it before.

I would come home, turn on the TV, and see no picture. The DVR was off and, of course, there was nothing in the live broadcast buffer. Additionally, my PLAY button wouldn't let me review the timeline without pausing. All this as you describe above.

But, I didn't realize there had been a FW "upgrade". I called customer support and explained the situation. They were totally clueless, patronizing, and seemed to be making things up: "we can't send a reset to your DVR because it is a very strong signal and could damage your equipment". Hmmm.

It's odd that they chose a default of powering off in 4 hours. I have programs scheduled to be recorded weeks from now. Last night my DVR had already powered off before a scheduled recording and therefore the recording never happened. The new behaviour of the PLAY button is awful - there's already a PAUSE button.

I've already logged a complaint with Comcast/Infinity about the support staff being unaware of these new DVR behaviours when I was easily able to find it on the net.
Theoretically, having the unit off shouldn't affect its ability to record programming in the future. When off, the unit should turn on when it's time to record a show, and turn off again when the recording is finished. Nor should the off state affect the live broadcast buffer. At least it didn't for me. The Play button behavior is annoying, but pressing it twice leave the timeline up for a few more seconds.
phildaant likes this.
Old 10-30-2014, 03:30 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Theoretically, having the unit off shouldn't affect its ability to record programming in the future. ... Nor should the off state affect the live broadcast buffer.
Yes, that's the way it was before the FW upgrade. BTW, my DVR is a DCX3400-m.

After the upgrade, I would turn on the tv by separate remote and I'd get a blank screen showing channel 3 selected. No picture. DVR blue power light was off, but clock display was on. I'd need to physically touch the DVR's power button to get the DVR to feed the cable signal to the tv. Also, the live feed buffer was empty and it never used to be that way.

Also noticed that it didn't wake up to record programs.

Now I've just got the power save feature disabled and everything works as before: picture comes on immediately and I've got my live buffer. The blue power light is on all the time, though.

I don't see any improvement in this upgrade: it's three steps backwards for me.
Old 11-01-2014, 11:49 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by FW_Engineer View Post
Yes, that's the way it was before the FW upgrade. BTW, my DVR is a DCX3400-m.

After the upgrade, I would turn on the tv by separate remote and I'd get a blank screen showing channel 3 selected. No picture. DVR blue power light was off, but clock display was on. I'd need to physically touch the DVR's power button to get the DVR to feed the cable signal to the tv. Also, the live feed buffer was empty and it never used to be that way.

Also noticed that it didn't wake up to record programs.

Now I've just got the power save feature disabled and everything works as before: picture comes on immediately and I've got my live buffer. The blue power light is on all the time, though.

I don't see any improvement in this upgrade: it's three steps backwards for me.
I recently exchanged my Xfinity/Comcast DCX 3400 m DVR for a DCX 3501 & the PQ (on my
Sony KDL 32XBR6) is a nice upgrade from the 1080i I was getting from the DCX 3400 (which in all honesty was OK)

I don't remember if it was in this thread or another that someone mentioned that the "On Demand"
PQ was'nt quite as good as Broadcast (or the shows that you've recorded for that matter). I'm not quite sure if the 3501 is giving me the 1080p60 that my Sony Tv displays when I switch the input to the one that I'm using for this DVR, but I'd probably be skeptical if someone told me I could get the very acceptable PQ I'm getting from Comcast 10 or 15 yrs ago.

How much of a difference the PS Audio PP500 (that my DVR & TV are plugged into) is making I'm
not really sure (I'd guess a good amount as it is Xfinity/Comcast I'm using here)
Old 11-01-2014, 02:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Last week, I noticed something unusual about my DVR and the AnyRoom auxiliary unit. I usually leave them both on all the time. But every morning I would get up and they would be off. Examining the menus, I found several new features that I hadn't noticed before.

S/W version: 82.41 - a31.1704.r2
F/W version: 82.87

New features available from the regular guide menu. (Press Menu button twice, then choose Setup)

Closed Captioning -- You can now turn closed captioning on and off without turning off the unit like before.

Remote Key Setup -- You can now do minimal programming of the A, B, C, and D keys (but my remote doesn't seem to have a D key)

From the Power off menu (Press the Power button to turn off unit, then press the Menu button)

You can select Native mode and also turn screen stretch on or off (my aux unit had defaulted to stretch on for non-hd channels, which I did not want)

You can also select the front panel brightness level from this menu, with several options.

I don't know how many of these features were available before, but I hadn't noticed them myself, so I thought I would mention them here. I know that a lot of people complained about brightness levels and accessibility of closed captioning.

One other thing I just noticed about this update. It seems to have fixed a problem I have been complaining about for literally YEARS. That is, when you pause live programming, and then play a recorded program, the live program didn't actually stay paused. If you watched the recorded program for five minutes, say, then went back to the live program, the live program would be paused but advanced by five minutes. When I tested this again today, the live program seemed to stay paused at the original point I paused it, while I watched a recorded program. Hallelujah!
Old 11-03-2014, 05:01 PM

Liked: 0
Problem with DCX3501-m and Seagate DVR Expander 1TB STAP1000103

Hi everyone,

Our old Motorola DCT3416 from Comcast began showing problems nearly a month ago and we were upgraded to a new DCX3501-m under the RNG200N badge about two weeks ago.

Upon seeing that there was an e-SATA port on the back and doing some research, I discovered that Comcast supports a 1TB drive from Western Digital (the WDBACS0010HBK-NESN).

Being a software engineer for a living, I've had more bad luck with Western Digital badged drives than all others (others may feel differently). So, I looked around and discovered the Seagate STAP10000103 DVR expander. I purchased that and it arrived several days ago.

The DCX3501-m recognizes the drive, and formats it. That's the good part.

The bad part is that the DCX3501-m now periodically freezes (1-2 times a day) for several seconds when control features are used (such as changing channels, switching to OnDemand, or bringing up menus) after which a popup window appears requesting that the external drive be detached from the unit. I can then power down the drive by removing the power connector, and then power it up again. Several seconds after the drive is powered up, a popup window appears stating that the external drive is now in use.

We've also noticed what looks like some lower than normal frame rate video coming from the DCX3501-m (it's choppy looking) when the drive is connected.

So my question is: Is there any hope I can resolve this? Or should I just order the Western Digital unit which Comcast supports?

Thanks.
Old 11-22-2014, 09:40 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
This week I got a DCX-3510M from Bright House cable and apparently the firmware they have on it has a limited user menu, in that it doesn't include all the options I see on the the Motorola user guide. There is no option to dim the LEDs, no option to display the channel instead of the clock, no option to configure audio for pass through, etc. My question is whether anyone is aware of any hidden menus on this DVR other than the User Menu (Power Off - Menu) and Diagnostic Menu (Power Off - Select)?
Old 11-22-2014, 09:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennhaven View Post
This week I got a DCX-3510M from Bright House cable and apparently the firmware they have on it has a limited user menu, in that it doesn't include all the options I see on the the Motorola user guide. There is no option to dim the LEDs, no option to display the channel instead of the clock, no option to configure audio for pass through, etc. My question is whether anyone is aware of any hidden menus on this DVR other than the User Menu (Power Off - Menu) and Diagnostic Menu (Power Off - Select)?
I think those are all the menus. You might check to see which version of firmware and software your box is running. Bright House might not be up to the level that, for example, Comcast is. However, channel vs. clock has been there since day 1, so that's confusing.
Old 11-22-2014, 03:18 PM

Quote:
I think those are all the menus. You might check to see which version of firmware and software your box is running. Bright House might not be up to the level that, for example, Comcast is. However, channel vs. clock has been there since day 1, so that's confusing.
The firmware version on my Bright House 3510M is Bedford-H-1.2 14.44. Ocap Version 1.0 |16. Software version 14.44.
Old 01-18-2015, 06:30 PM

Liked: 2
First post here.

I have struggled to find anything online about how to completely reformat the hard drive of a DCX 3510 cable box. I can get to a menu option but I also haven't found anything that shows what the menu options mean.

Anyone have any advice?

I'm having issues where the box is freezing, won't record anything anymore. I would like to not have to take it back to TWC as I would most likely be given an older box.

Thanks!!
phildaant likes this.
Old 01-18-2015, 06:30 PM

Liked: 2
First post here.

I have struggled to find anything online about how to completely reformat the hard drive of a DCX 3510 cable box. I can get to a menu option but I also haven't found anything that shows what the menu options mean.

Anyone have any advice?

I'm having issues where the box is freezing, won't record anything anymore. I would like to not have to take it back to TWC as I would most likely be given an older box.

Thanks!!
phildaant likes this.
Old 02-25-2015, 12:51 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 18
This is the hard drive reset procedure for the DCX3510-M, taken from the installation manual:

Quote:
To clear the hard drive:

1. Start the diagnostics [by powering off the DCX3510-M using either the remote control or the Power button and then pressing the MENU key on the remote control]; d 01 is displayed on the front panel display.

2. Using a remote control, within five seconds, press REPLAY, MY DVR three times, and LIVE TV. (On some remote controls, the MY DVR key may be labeled LIST.)

3. If you correctly enter this key sequence in five seconds or less, the hard drive is cleared and the front panel displays Clr.

4. If Clr is not displayed, re-enter the key sequence in step 2.

5. If Clr is displayed, press any other key on the remote control to reset the terminal, turn it off, and complete the clearing process.

Last edited by blackcap93; 02-25-2015 at 12:57 AM.
Old 04-07-2015, 10:48 PM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 4
What is the latest firmware and software for the 3510-M?

Wayne
phildaant likes this.

Samsung Smart 50" UN50H6350
Samsung BD-H5100 Smart Blu-Ray Player
Harman Kardon AVR-1510 5.1 Networked Receiver
Dayton Audio BS36 LCR 3 Channel Sound Bar
Monoprice 6.5" 2-Way Ceiling Mounted Rear Surrounds
Monoprice 8" 200W Powered Subwoofer
Old 04-07-2015, 11:32 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z7What View Post
What is the latest firmware and software for the 3510-M?

Wayne
That varies on a system-by-system basis, as the firmware and software are customizable to some extent to individual operator and local system requirements.

Also, each proposed software and firmware version has to go through extensive cable operator testing to ensure the software and firmware will work with the operator's specific equipment configurations.

For instance, the Charter systems served by the Hickory, North Carolina headend have deployed iGuide software 79.59 - R29.6-1.r-1 and firmware 34.05 to the DCX boxes, including my 3510.
phildaant likes this.
Old 04-08-2015, 02:33 AM

Im trying to figure out a few things about my 5310-M, some being a issue I keep having and the others are just for making for a better all around home video system.

The issues is I have my 4:3 Override set to Stretch and I find that it always go back to OFF. I don't want it off, I want it to stay on Stretch. I have the other settings set to 16:9 and 1080P60. Im very happy with the way its performs with those setting. Just cant figure out why the 4:3 Override keeps going back to OFF. I never turn the Cable Box off either.

I also find that HD channels are much much lower in volume than the SD channels. I have adjusted the settings on the Power/Menu A/V Settings to Dolby Digital to On and Off and its doesn't change a thing. I also did the Menu/Menu and under the A/V setting I changed it from Stereo to Advanced and then Heavy Compression and Stereo Output to Matrix. Doing this seams to have increased the bass but not actually increase the voices. I have all of my sources going into my AVR via HDMI and from the AVR into the TV. All controlled by a Harmony Smart Hub Remote.

How do these specs look?

In-Band Tuner 1
Mode - 256 QAM
SNR - Ranges from 37.4 - 39.0 dB

In-Band Tuner 2
Mode - 256 QAM
SNR - Ranges from 37.1 - 38.6 dB

Software Version 78.55
Firmware 24.58

Under Interface/Port Status
DOCSIS Enabled Yes - Active No BUT once I go to DOCSIS STATUS its says that its not Enabled
SPDIF Enabled Yes - Active Yes
HMA Authorized Enabled Yes - Active Yes
MoCA Authorzed Enabled Yes - Active No
Internal Enabled Yes - Active Yes
External Enabled Yes - Active No

Id also like to know about the eSATA. Do I simply buy a eSATA HardDrive and plug it in? Does it save to the internal HD then once that's filled then to the external? Or does it save to both?

Wayne

Old 04-10-2015, 06:46 AM

TTT

Wayne

Old 04-10-2015, 09:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Question

Quote:
TTT

Wayne
???
Old 04-10-2015, 02:32 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Im trying to figure out a few things about my 5310-M, some being a issue I keep having and the others are just for making for a better all around home video system.
I probably shouldn't be injecting my thoughts here, since it's been five years since I actually used TWC-provided true DCX equipment, albeit older models. So my comments may be outdated an no longer accurate. But your questions are interesting, so I'll try to provide answers which might just be true even today with the newer boxes and firmware/software.

Incidentally... did you really mean 5310-M for your box, or was that a typo and you really meant 3510-M as I think??

Quote:
The issues is I have my 4:3 Override set to Stretch and I find that it always go back to OFF. I don't want it off, I want it to stay on Stretch.
As I recall, this option is for how you want 4:3 content displayed, with "stretch" meaning you want horizontal stretch-o-vision applied to make full horizontal use of your 16:9 screen real estate for a 4:3 image which otherwise would display in 4:3 OAR with black bars on left and right ofyour 16:9 screen. You'd rather see Jabba the Hut super-wide images for humans and no black bars, rather than true 4:3 original aspect ratio with normal humans, centered in your 16:9 area but consequently requiring black bars on left and right. Yes?

As I recall, the DCX boxes went through HDMI handshakes every time you powered on a connected HDMI device (e.g. your HDTV, or your AVR if you relayed your DVR through your AVR and then on to your HDTV via HDMI). So unless all devices were already powered on and stable when the DVR performed the HDMI handshakes and the DVR POWERED ON LAST, seeming poor design in the firmware caused the loss of all of your previously established box hardware settings and a reset to "factory default" any time these base level HDMI handshakes occurred. That's why if you do power your DVR on and off, that it's been commonly suggested you (a) turn your DVR on LAST, and (b) turn your DVR off first.

This prescribed DVR power on/off sequence was a trick that almost always "preserved" your hardware setup settings, including not just 4:3 override but also "native output resolution" vs. any "fixed 720p/1080i or 1080p output resolution" and also HDMI audio settings.

Quote:
I have the other settings set to 16:9 and 1080P60. Im very happy with the way its performs with those setting. Just cant figure out why the 4:3 Override keeps going back to OFF. I never turn the Cable Box off either.
But you are keeping your DVR on while turning on/off your HDTV and on/off your AVR (I would guess).

I believe it is the changes in on/off state of your other devices while keeping your DVR always on which is triggering the unwanted HDMI handshakes and unfortunate related HDMI firmware resets you're seeing.

Just out of curiosity, why don't you try TURN OFF YOUR DVR FIRST, and then powering off your TV and AVR. Note that the box will automatically come back to life and then go back to sleep in order to make scheduled recordings, so not to worry about that. And when you want to watch TV again, turn your TV and AVR on first and let them both power up and stablize, and then TURN ON YOUR DVR LAST.

Report back if that experiment is successful in retaining all of your hardware setup settings.

Quote:
I also find that HD channels are much much lower in volume than the SD channels. I have adjusted the settings on the Power/Menu A/V Settings to Dolby Digital to On and Off and its doesn't change a thing. I also did the Menu/Menu and under the A/V setting I changed it from Stereo to Advanced and then Heavy Compression and Stereo Output to Matrix. Doing this seams to have increased the bass but not actually increase the voices. I have all of my sources going into my AVR via HDMI and from the AVR into the TV. All controlled by a Harmony Smart Hub Remote.
Is your sound system an external speaker-based multi-channel surround system of real speakers connected to your AVR? Or are you using the two speakers in your HDTV?

And does your AVR have "HDMI pass-through" specified in its audio setup (which it would need to have, in order to use the TV's two speakers) or do you have "HDMI pass-through" SET TO OFF in your AVR?

HDMI digital audio (from DVR to whatever is the eventual output device) again goes through HDMI handshaking to establish how to deliver it from source to speaker. So if your speaker setup can support multi-channel surround (e.g. via your AVR and multiple speakers) then the DVR will deliver DD5.1 multi-channel or DD2.0 2-channel true original untouched digital audio via HDMI to the AVR exactly as the source program provides, and NONE OF THE ANALOG-RELATED AUDIO SETTINGS YOU DESCRIBE WILL APPLY.

In other words, I believe the audio settings of the DVR that you mention are for when you are using 2-channel analog red/white stereo speaker output of the DVR, and 2-channel analog stereo audio is delivered from the DVR itself. So if your TV's speakers (through the AVR, because of HDMI pass-through being ON in the AVR) are seen as the digital output audio device, the DVR will only deliver 2-channel digital stereo. So now you have digital mix-down issues from what could have been the original DD5.1 multi-channel source, and resulting good or bad sound to your ears.

So... multi-channel speaker sound system hosted by the AVR? If you have "HDMI pass-through" disabled in your AVR, then you should be getting true DD5.1 digital audio delivered from DVR to AVR, and all multi-channel audio results from your multiple speakers is under the control of your AVR and its setup. The DVR's analog audio settings shouldn't apply at all and are irrelevant.

However if you're using the TV's speakers (which can handle only 2-channel stereo at best, passed through the AVR and received from the DVR via HDMI), now the DVR 2-channel digital mixdown occurs. Again, I would think the DVR's analog audio settings wouldn't come into play.

Seems that even if the TV speakers are what you're using, I would think you can still turn off HDMI audio pass-through in the AVR, letting the DVR deliver DD5.1 to the AVR. And then you configure your AVR to deliver its own mixed-down 2.0 stereo to the TV (via the HDMI cable going to the TV), per the audio setup settings in the AVR. That would likely produce better results than having the DVR do its own 2-channel stereo.

I hope I'm speaking truth here about your audio issues.

Quote:
I'd also like to know about the eSATA. Do I simply buy a eSATA HardDrive and plug it in? Does it save to the internal HD then once that's filled then to the external? Or does it save to both?
If eSATA is currently active, that's a surprise to me. It never was before on these Motorola-based boxes in the US cable systems, but that may have changed now. Canada, yes. US, no. But I may be wrong now and things may have changed to support eSATA external storage.

If it's active, I would assume there is a "load balancing" algorithm in use once the initial formatting of both internal and external storage is complete. I would think recordings would go on either drive depending on current in-use storage statistics and the usage algorithm based on required capacity and free storage availability for each program to be recorded.

Again... don't hold me to any of this. If what I've said is no longer accurate or correct, please accept my apology.
Old 04-14-2015, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phildaant View Post
???
TTT means To The Top

Wayne
phildaant likes this.

Old 04-14-2015, 12:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
TTT means To The Top

Wayne
Thanks Wayne.
Old 04-14-2015, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSperber View Post
I probably shouldn't be injecting my thoughts here, since it's been five years since I actually used TWC-provided true DCX equipment, albeit older models. So my comments may be outdated an no longer accurate. But your questions are interesting, so I'll try to provide answers which might just be true even today with the newer boxes and firmware/software.

Incidentally... did you really mean 5310-M for your box, or was that a typo and you really meant 3510-M as I think??
Yes I did mean the DCX3510-M

As I recall, this option is for how you want 4:3 content displayed, with "stretch" meaning you want horizontal stretch-o-vision applied to make full horizontal use of your 16:9 screen real estate for a 4:3 image which otherwise would display in 4:3 OAR with black bars on left and right ofyour 16:9 screen. You'd rather see Jabba the Hut super-wide images for humans and no black bars, rather than true 4:3 original aspect ratio with normal humans, centered in your 16:9 area but consequently requiring black bars on left and right. Yes? Yes this is correct. Although the picture isn't super huge or look distorted. I only watch HD channels. My wife plays alot of Disney channel for my son (1yr), we actually have Non-HD Disney and a HD Disney. Just show happens the Non-HD plays for Mickey Mouse. So if im going to have to watch it I want the entire screen filled.

As I recall, the DCX boxes went through HDMI handshakes every time you powered on a connected HDMI device (e.g. your HDTV, or your AVR if you relayed your DVR through your AVR and then on to your HDTV via HDMI). So unless all devices were already powered on and stable when the DVR performed the HDMI handshakes and the DVR POWERED ON LAST, seeming poor design in the firmware caused the loss of all of your previously established box hardware settings and a reset to "factory default" any time these base level HDMI handshakes occurred. That's why if you do power your DVR on and off, that it's been commonly suggested you (a) turn your DVR on LAST, and (b) turn your DVR off first.

This prescribed DVR power on/off sequence was a trick that almost always "preserved" your hardware setup settings, including not just 4:3 override but also "native output resolution" vs. any "fixed 720p/1080i or 1080p output resolution" and also HDMI audio settings.

But you are keeping your DVR on while turning on/off your HDTV and on/off your AVR (I would guess).

I believe it is the changes in on/off state of your other devices while keeping your DVR always on which is triggering the unwanted HDMI handshakes and unfortunate related HDMI firmware resets you're seeing.

Just out of curiosity, why don't you try TURN OFF YOUR DVR FIRST, and then powering off your TV and AVR. Note that the box will automatically come back to life and then go back to sleep in order to make scheduled recordings, so not to worry about that. And when you want to watch TV again, turn your TV and AVR on first and let them both power up and stablize, and then TURN ON YOUR DVR LAST.

Report back if that experiment is successful in retaining all of your hardware setup settings.

I changed the settings on my remote to turn the DVR on and off . I also changed the order at which its turned on and off. We shall see how that works, ill let you know.

Is your sound system an external speaker-based multi-channel surround system of real speakers connected to your AVR? Or are you using the two speakers in your HDTV?

I have TV speakers turned off! I have it set up so that the AVR must be on to get sound.

And does your AVR have "HDMI pass-through" specified in its audio setup (which it would need to have, in order to use the TV's two speakers) or do you have "HDMI pass-through" SET TO OFF in your AVR?

HDMI digital audio (from DVR to whatever is the eventual output device) again goes through HDMI handshaking to establish how to deliver it from source to speaker. So if your speaker setup can support multi-channel surround (e.g. via your AVR and multiple speakers) then the DVR will deliver DD5.1 multi-channel or DD2.0 2-channel true original untouched digital audio via HDMI to the AVR exactly as the source program provides, and NONE OF THE ANALOG-RELATED AUDIO SETTINGS YOU DESCRIBE WILL APPLY.

In other words, I believe the audio settings of the DVR that you mention are for when you are using 2-channel analog red/white stereo speaker output of the DVR, and 2-channel analog stereo audio is delivered from the DVR itself. So if your TV's speakers (through the AVR, because of HDMI pass-through being ON in the AVR) are seen as the digital output audio device, the DVR will only deliver 2-channel digital stereo. So now you have digital mix-down issues from what could have been the original DD5.1 multi-channel source, and resulting good or bad sound to your ears.

So... multi-channel speaker sound system hosted by the AVR? If you have "HDMI pass-through" disabled in your AVR, then you should be getting true DD5.1 digital audio delivered from DVR to AVR, and all multi-channel audio results from your multiple speakers is under the control of your AVR and its setup. The DVR's analog audio settings shouldn't apply at all and are irrelevant.

However if you're using the TV's speakers (which can handle only 2-channel stereo at best, passed through the AVR and received from the DVR via HDMI), now the DVR 2-channel digital mixdown occurs. Again, I would think the DVR's analog audio settings wouldn't come into play.

Seems that even if the TV speakers are what you're using, I would think you can still turn off HDMI audio pass-through in the AVR, letting the DVR deliver DD5.1 to the AVR. And then you configure your AVR to deliver its own mixed-down 2.0 stereo to the TV (via the HDMI cable going to the TV), per the audio setup settings in the AVR. That would likely produce better results than having the DVR do its own 2-channel stereo.

I hope I'm speaking truth here about your audio issues.

The TV does have HDMI Pass-Through, well at least HK calls it HDMI Audio To TV and I have it turned OFF. The AVR is getting Dolby Digital 5.1, this issues is on all my TV not just my main TV. Im guessing that's just how it is.

If eSATA is currently active, that's a surprise to me. It never was before on these Motorola-based boxes in the US cable systems, but that may have changed now. Canada, yes. US, no. But I may be wrong now and things may have changed to support eSATA external storage.

If it's active, I would assume there is a "load balancing" algorithm in use once the initial formatting of both internal and external storage is complete. I would think recordings would go on either drive depending on current in-use storage statistics and the usage algorithm based on required capacity and free storage availability for each program to be recorded.

Again... don't hold me to any of this. If what I've said is no longer accurate or correct, please accept my apology.

Thanks for your help.

Wayne

Old 04-16-2015, 03:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Thanks for your help.

Wayne
DSperber,

I recently acquired a Motorola DCX3600 and I'm trying to sort through the provisioning -

Can you tell me what the following means?

Brick Mode: No Brick;
DVR Authorized: True:
MRDVR Authorized:False
CID Authorized:True
Advanced Search Authorized:True
VoiceZone Authorized:True
Hotel Descrambler:Not Authorized
Family Tier:Not Authorized
DSG Authorized: True
Live Streaming Athorized:True
----
What some of my fellow New Yorkers want to do is-
a) stream content to the TV
b) stream content from the SetTopBox
b1) Stream from the DVR
b2) Stream Live TV

B1: I can stream unprotected content
B2: I can't stream live TV
A: No clue yet

In particular, the live streaming parameter seems to imply that we can stream broadcast TV?

any Ideas?

Full Disclosure : I can stream any and all content over my slingbox and record it all. But that puts me on honor system. TWC puts us all on the honor system in that regard, and I commend them for that.

-nony

Last edited by nony; 04-16-2015 at 04:28 AM.
Old 04-16-2015, 07:29 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by nony View Post
DSperber,

I recently acquired a Motorola DCX3600 and I'm trying to sort through the provisioning -

Can you tell me what the following means?
Truthfully, I don't know even one thing about this piece of equipment, nor any of the configuration options you're asking about. Sorry.

Hopefully someone else might be able to answer your questions, either on this thread or perhaps some other thread specifically for that device... or possibly on DSLReports forum.

Can't assist.
Old 05-07-2015, 03:13 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Has this issue been addressed in the thread? http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r297...ARC-Orlando-FL

The DCX-3600 box completely breaks the HDMI-CEC/ARC connection on my Samsung HU8550 tv and Sony HT-XT1 sound bar. It's maddening, because the only solution as far as I know - is to connect the TV and soundbar via optical cable (which introduces audio sync issues), or to connect the DVR box and TV via component cable.

You can get everything working together, but as soon as you turn the TV off and back on again, it's broken - the only way to get sound from the ARC connection is to completely disconnect the DVR box HDMI cable. Someone at DSL Reports accurately likened it to "throwing an HDMI time bomb into your home theater system."

Seems like a nasty bug that could potentially be resolved via firmware? Anyone experienced this or figured out a decent fix!?
Old 05-20-2015, 09:09 AM

I don't know if it will help you, troobo, but we just got a new Sceptre 40" LCD HDTV to replace our Samsung 40" that has blown capacitors on the power supply board. We connected it to our Motorola DCX3501-M cable box, and programmed the remote. TV and cable box worked fine, but then after we turned it off for the night, the next day the TV and cable box power on via the cable remote, but the box gets the dreaded DV1 error, where it becomes non-responsive to the remote as long as the TV is on.

After 3 days of reprogramming the remote every time we turned both on, I Googled the situation and found an old blog from 2008 that said to switch the cable box to the HDMI2 input instead of HDMI1. So far it looks like it's working -- we'll know when we actually turn both off then turn them back on.

But it's something you might want to try -- use the HDMI2 input for your equipment instead of HDMI1.
phildaant likes this.
Old Today, 02:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Moto DCX DLNA - Streaming Quick Test

1. Save the text below to a file and name it MotoDLNATest.xml
Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<s:Envelope xmlns:s="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/envelope/" s:encodingStyle="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/encoding/">
<s:Body><u:Browse xmlns:u="urn:schemas-upnp-org:service:ContentDirectory:3">
<ObjectID>2</ObjectID>
<BrowseFlag>BrowseDirectChildren</BrowseFlag>
<Filter>*</Filter>
<StartingIndex>0</StartingIndex>
<RequestedCount>0</RequestedCount>
<SortCriteria></SortCriteria>
</u:Browse>
</s:Body>
</s:Envelope>
2. From the command line run-
Code:
$ curl --data-binary @MotoDLNATest.xml -H "Content-Type: text/xml" -H 'SOAPACTION: "urn:schemas-upnp-org:service:ContentDirectory:3#Browse"' http://192.168.0.1:35003/ContentDirectory_control
3. This should return a raw listing of all your DVR content.
4. For each item that is not DTCP-IP protected, you can point your MPEG-2 capable player (VLC comes to mind) at the given url and stream your recorded content from your DCX to any locally attached device.
5. Note that the ipAddress on the command line needs to be substituted with the actual local ipAddress of your target DCX.
6. This was tested against a DCX3600M.
7. I intend to post a filtered command line for clarity.

-nony

Last edited by nony; Today at 03:03 PM.