Official AVS Motorola DCX series HD DVR Topic! - Page 164 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

Forum Jump: 
 58Likes

post #4891 of 4915 Old 03-10-2016, 11:56 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by phildaant View Post
Oops, my bad. I thought I was in a TWC forum. Heh. Which cable provider did you have with this DVR and contract?
Comcast. It was a one year contract but it never ran one year because they kept giving us one to three free months for each outage, so we never knew when the contract was in effect (there were many non DCX related problems as well). Comcast made us promise to not tell anyone that they give out three free months of free service for their poor support but the statute of limitations is up (so to speak). They also admitted that they illegally fails dot support the Firewater ports as required with the agreement with the US government when they got approval for cable boxes/DVRs, their legal department called me directly to work out a very quiet settlement with them (I did use firewire previously to record shows and the new Motorola cable boxes and DVRs failed to work properly so it really was an issue) but their were obviously trying to manipulate me into signing a non-disclosure which I refused do so I never settled with them.
phildaant likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4892 of 4915 Old 03-11-2016, 09:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Hello.

Weird. I was just using the DCX3510M DVR to watch the recorded KTLA5's DC's Legends of Tomorrow, and then it froze at about 17 minutes at about 9 PM PST. It was also recording Grey's Anatomy on KABC7. I was able to navigate around in its Navigator menus, but couldn't play anything (recordings, on demand, etc.), tune into live channels (still think I was recording two shows so I couldn't go to any others beside those two and it was already after the recordings' end times), etc. Power on and off from RC didn't help. I had to physically pull its power cable to do its super LONG power cycle. Everything is back now I hope. I wonder if the DVR even got both episodes recorded though (we'll see!).

Has anyone seen that problem before? Oh, and it has been many months since I ran into an issue that required a power cycle. :P

Thank you in advance.
I think the DCXs are very stable (at least, mine seems to be). However, after long periods of time without a reboot (several months), weird things start to happen. I tell myself to just reboot it every three months or so to prevent problems. But then I forget and something happens. Last time it was a saved program that I couldn't delete. After the reboot, everything was fine again.
phildaant and Super Eye like this.
post #4893 of 4915 Old 03-11-2016, 09:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 818 Post(s)
Liked: 301
Quote:
Originally Posted by crossbeaux View Post
I think the DCXs are very stable (at least, mine seems to be). However, after long periods of time without a reboot (several months), weird things start to happen. I tell myself to just reboot it every three months or so to prevent problems. But then I forget and something happens. Last time it was a saved program that I couldn't delete. After the reboot, everything was fine again.
Good idea. I should do that often too. FYI, Grey's Anatomy recording was fine after watching it this early mawning.
post #4894 of 4915 Old 03-11-2016, 05:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Exactly! I used to experience strange problems with my DCX3400-M without rebooting it. Now I tell myself to reboot every 6 to 8 weeks and since I’ve been doing that the box runs very smooth and stable.
phildaant likes this.
post #4895 of 4915 Old 03-11-2016, 05:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Eye View Post
Exactly! I used to experience strange problems with my DCX3400-M without rebooting it. Now I tell myself to reboot every 6 to 8 weeks and since I’ve been doing that the box runs very smooth and stable.
Interesting. I think I should do this too for now on. Too bad, the DVRs can't autoreboot by themselves like every day at 3 AM.
post #4896 of 4915 Old 03-11-2016, 05:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Interesting. I think I should do this too for now on. Too bad, the DVRs can't autoreboot by themselves like every day at 3 AM.
There is one drawback to rebooting. Every time you reboot you loose your guide as the DCX needs to download it again and this can take a while. Also, forced auto reboots at a certain time would interrupt any recording you may be doing at that given time.

Before I do a reboot – I look ahead two days to see if anything may be coming up at some of my favorite channels – if so I schedule the recording(s) before doing a reboot. I make sure no recording is to start at least half an hour before reboot. Also leave the box unplugged at least one minute if rebooting by unplugging the power. This ensures that any memory will get cleared and should clear up any problems and load the guide quicker.
phildaant likes this.
post #4897 of 4915 Old 03-11-2016, 10:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Eye View Post
There is one drawback to rebooting. Every time you reboot you loose your guide as the DCX needs to download it again and this can take a while. Also, forced auto reboots at a certain time would interrupt any recording you may be doing at that given time.

Before I do a reboot – I look ahead two days to see if anything may be coming up at some of my favorite channels – if so I schedule the recording(s) before doing a reboot. I make sure no recording is to start at least half an hour before reboot. Also leave the box unplugged at least one minute if rebooting by unplugging the power. This ensures that any memory will get cleared and should clear up any problems and load the guide quicker.
Yes, the idiotic downloading of the guide. As I've said from the beginning of this DVR, many years ago, it should store the guide in disc and not need to reload it when power goes down. One of the stupider things about this DVR.
phildaant likes this.
post #4898 of 4915 Old 03-11-2016, 10:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Question

Quote:
Yes, the idiotic downloading of the guide. As I've said from the beginning of this DVR, many years ago, it should store the guide in disc and not need to reload it when power goes down. One of the stupider things about this DVR.
Do all of Motorola/Arris cable boxes do this or only the DVR (or this DCX specific model)?
post #4899 of 4915 Old 03-12-2016, 05:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Do all of Motorola/Arris cable boxes do this or only the DVR (or this DCX specific model)?
I have a few older DCT (along with my DCX) Motorola models and when rebooted they loose the guide as well. I would imagine the firmware is designed this way in case there is a glitch with the downloaded guide so a reboot will force a fresh guide and get rid of the glitch. Just my opinion of course. But I do agree with crossbeaux. It is idiotic having to wait such a long time for the guide to reload
phildaant likes this.

Last edited by Super Eye; 03-12-2016 at 05:09 PM.
post #4900 of 4915 Old 03-12-2016, 05:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I don't know about the X1, but everything prior to that would lose the guide when the power goes off. The non-DVR boxes reload more quickly.
phildaant likes this.
post #4901 of 4915 Old 03-12-2016, 06:16 PM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
My first Charter DVR was one of those old Moxi units, which downloaded the guide data and stored it on its hard drive (and did it faster, over its internal DOCSIS modem, instead of over the OOB data link, which is usually in the 4 MHz guard band between RF channels 5 and 6), to avoid losing that data between reboots.

It is a pain sometimes to wait for the guide data to be downloaded to freshly-rebooted DCT/H/X boxes...
phildaant likes this.
post #4902 of 4915 Old 03-21-2016, 09:04 PM

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 45
I have a Charter Motorola DCX3510M dvr that was just installed a week ago. I'm setting up my series timers that I used to have on my VIP722k Dish dvr.

For the life of me, I can NOT figure out how to change the priority order of timers, to help avoid recording conflicts. How do you move a timer to a different priority?

I do not want to delete timers, and recreate them in a different spot, I want to MOVE them around where I need them. With Dish, you just go to the timer lists, and you can easily tag and move them anywhere you want. It doesn't seem to be that easy with the Motorola. Trying to save money here, but this dvr is almost dark ages compared to Dishes dvr...

Thanks for any help in figuring this out.
post #4903 of 4915 Old 03-21-2016, 09:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primestar31 View Post
I have a Charter Motorola DCX3510M dvr that was just installed a week ago. I'm setting up my series timers that I used to have on my VIP722k Dish dvr.

For the life of me, I can NOT figure out how to change the priority order of timers, to help avoid recording conflicts. How do you move a timer to a different priority?

I do not want to delete timers, and recreate them in a different spot, I want to MOVE them around where I need them. With Dish, you just go to the timer lists, and you can easily tag and move them anywhere you want. It doesn't seem to be that easy with the Motorola. Trying to save money here, but this dvr is almost dark ages compared to Dishes dvr...

Thanks for any help in figuring this out.
IIRC, it is under App's DVR's Series Manager.
post #4904 of 4915 Old 03-21-2016, 09:49 PM

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
IIRC, it is under App's DVR's Series Manager.

Thanks for the quick reply, but this dvr doesn't have that function.

I did look again under the series recording screen, and figured out that if you highlight a series recording that's set up, you can then use the PAGE UP or PAGE DOWN keys to move a recording to the priority level you want it to be set for.
phildaant likes this.
post #4905 of 4915 Old 03-21-2016, 10:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primestar31 View Post
Thanks for the quick reply, but this dvr doesn't have that function.

I did look again under the series recording screen, and figured out that if you highlight a series recording that's set up, you can then use the PAGE UP or PAGE DOWN keys to move a recording to the priority level you want it to be set for.
Yeah, that's it. I couldn't remember it off my head.
post #4906 of 4915 Old 05-09-2016, 09:23 AM
Advanced Member

This weekend, while I was checking my upcoming recordings, I noticed that "Bates Motel" was not scheduled to be recorded this week, even though the guide listed it as a new episode. I checked my list of series recordings and it wasn't on the list at all, even though it has been there all season and all last season. It was easy enough to set it up again as a series recording, but I'm concerned that series recordings get randomly deleted. I've only seen something like this once before, and that was due to a power outage/box reset, but that wasn't the case this time. Has anyone else seen this happen?
post #4907 of 4915 Old 07-21-2016, 01:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Thumbs down That was a weird incident in TWC's DVR & its RC.

I was fast forwarding to skip last night's KTLA's interruption on Penn & Teller: Can't Fool Us episode and then the RC122 stopped working (no red lights and other responses), so Arris/Motorola DCX3510M DVR was stuck at 2X. I had to power off the DVR in its front to make it stop.

After replacing the RC's original batteries (first attempt failed with rechargeable types), RC was working again. I powered on, resumed what I was doing earlier, and FFed but the DVR froze and decided to autoreboot!

Sheesh! That was weird! Did any of you had that happened?

Thank you in advance.
post #4908 of 4915 Old 08-23-2016, 09:26 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked: 1928
Has anyone got any intel on the so-called new DVR Charter has been promising as well as the new menu system .. ?? I'm in the St Louis area, I've called Charter a couple times and can't get anything out of them .. the DCX series seems to me to be getting kinda long in the tooth and it's frustrating at times with it's "Record 2, Watch 1" limitation .. and the menu system is just plain old ..

Charter blankets with commercials around here, touting the new menu, etc .. yet nothing seems to be happening at the user level .. and, I'm guessing, the DCX series will not upgrade to the new menu anyway ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #4909 of 4915 Old 10-25-2016, 10:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Argh! I was watching The Flash's recording about half-way and then Motorola/Arris DCX3510M DVR decided to freeze again (last one like many months ago). It couldn't tune to any channels and play other recordings. Turning off and on the DVR didn't help. I had to manually power cycle and everything worked again. I thought manually power cycling once a week (usually Fridays) would prevent this, but nope.

I wonder if I should swap this DVR to another model that is better? Thank you in advance.
post #4910 of 4915 Old 11-04-2016, 05:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I'm hoping that someone can help me out.
I have been using the DCX3400M for the past 6 years with Comcast. In May 2015 the box was updated to the A31 firmware to allow the use of an external 2TB drive. I purchased a 2TB WD AV-GB drive and Thermaltake Max 5 eSATA eenclosure. Everything had been working fine until two weeks ago, as every few days I started to get a blue box on the screen saying "Disconnect external drive, Alert 13". When this woukd happen, I woukd either power down the external drive and turn it back on, or just unplug the eSATA cable and reconnect it. Each time it would work fine for a few days and then happen again. So I felt there was either a problem with the WD AV drive, Thermaltake case, or cable.

I contacted Thermaltake and they are sending a new case under warranty, so I removed the hard drive from it and connected it to my Win 7 PC via SATA on the motherboard, as I wanted to check it for errors. When Windows booted, it found the drive was connected and initialized it in order to see it, I DID NOT FORMAT OR ASSIGN A DRIVE LETTER. After checking for SMART errors and doing a drive error check, it came back clean. I then put it back in the Thermaltake case and reconnected it to the DCX3400M. But upon doing so, I get a message saying the drive has to be formatted before use! It had been formatted by the DVR a year ago, so why just connecting it to a PC to check for errors would cause the DVR to want to format it again. This woukd cause me to lose a lot of programs that I have saved in the past 18 months.
So I took the WD drive out of the enclosure and put in a new Seagate 2TB drive I had unused, and formatted it. I've been using it for the past 2 days in the hopes of getting the WD to work with the DVR again.

What I woukd like to know is if there is any way for the DCX3400M to once again work with the WD drive and not lose all my recordings? One person on the Comcast forum said that once the drive was initialized by Windows, that it must of changed something on the drive or in the MBR that now the DVR says it has to be formatted again.
post #4911 of 4915 Old 11-04-2016, 10:15 AM
Advanced Member

Sorry to not know anything about the external drive situation. However, my DCX3400 has been acting weirdly for the last month or so.

First are the 30-second-skip, 15-second-back issues. With some stations (I suspect the more highly-compressed ones), the 30-second skip is slow to act, and then doesn't seem to skip the full 30 seconds. Even worse, sometimes the 15-second-back function doesn't go back 15 seconds, and pressing the button over and over again simply returns the broadcast to the same exact point, no matter how many times you press the button. This is especially frustrating during those football games when you just want to see the plays and not all stuff in between.

Then there's the baffling menu changes. Since way back when, pressing the My DVR button (or whatever it's called) gives a menu in which My Recordings and Upcoming Recordings are oriented vertically in the left column. Then about a week or so, the menu changed and those two options were oriented horizontally on the top row. Then a few days ago, the menu changed again and once more they were oriented vertically. I assume this was just to screw with me because I'm so familiar with the layout that I push the buttons without looking.

Finally, the guide has not been populating fully. There have been gaps of TBDs that don't seem to get resolved until almost the last minute. And then yesterday, sometime in the AM, the DVR (or the guide itself) must have reset itself, because it was all TBDs except for the next hour or so.

I have been reluctant to upgrade to the X1 because after many years of bugs, the DCX had become quite stable. But maybe this is just Comcast's way of saying it's time to move along.
post #4912 of 4915 Old 11-04-2016, 11:26 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Sorry to not know anything about the external drive situation. However, my DCX3400 has been acting weirdly for the last month or so.

First are the 30-second-skip, 15-second-back issues. With some stations (I suspect the more highly-compressed ones), the 30-second skip is slow to act, and then doesn't seem to skip the full 30 seconds. Even worse, sometimes the 15-second-back function doesn't go back 15 seconds, and pressing the button over and over again simply returns the broadcast to the same exact point, no matter how many times you press the button. This is especially frustrating during those football games when you just want to see the plays and not all stuff in between.

Then there's the baffling menu changes. Since way back when, pressing the My DVR button (or whatever it's called) gives a menu in which My Recordings and Upcoming Recordings are oriented vertically in the left column. Then about a week or so, the menu changed and those two options were oriented horizontally on the top row. Then a few days ago, the menu changed again and once more they were oriented vertically. I assume this was just to screw with me because I'm so familiar with the layout that I push the buttons without looking.

Finally, the guide has not been populating fully. There have been gaps of TBDs that don't seem to get resolved until almost the last minute. And then yesterday, sometime in the AM, the DVR (or the guide itself) must have reset itself, because it was all TBDs except for the next hour or so.

I have been reluctant to upgrade to the X1 because after many years of bugs, the DCX had become quite stable. But maybe this is just Comcast's way of saying it's time to move along.
Since the change from MPEG-2 to MPEG-4 my skip buttons have also been acting that way, hope they do a software upgrade to correct that.
Haven't seen any problems with my DVR menu. The guide has been normal, does a reset once in awhile, has gaps here and there at times, and doesn't go out a full week most of the time.
post #4913 of 4915 Old 11-04-2016, 03:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 684 Post(s)
Liked: 463
Quote:
Originally Posted by hcady View Post
Since the change from MPEG-2 to MPEG-4 my skip buttons have also been acting that way, hope they do a software upgrade to correct that.
Yes, on some stations the Back-30-sec button doesn't work, so I resort to Rewind, which on those channels is more like jumps backward than a less jerky rewind for MPEG2 or some less-compressed stations. This problem arrived with MPEG4, never on the over-the-air (still MPEG2) stations.

Quote:
Haven't seen any problems with my DVR menu.
About two months ago the Watchlist disappeared from the menu. A few days ago the DVR menu (first menu when one presses "My DVR") had been rearranged. The recordings (top left corner) hadn't moved, but the other four items have.

Quote:
The guide has been normal, does a reset once in awhile, has gaps here and there at times, and doesn't go out a full week most of the time.
About two days ago my DVR did a spontaneous reboot in the morning. Before that, some entries haven't populated, and after that, I am still waiting for some entries to populate. From five days ago through this morning, for example, tonight's MacGyver was TBA, but when I just checked a few minutes ago (2pm PDT) I see the MacGyver slot had finally been populated. It looks like the prime-time shows I watch have finally also been populated out through Wednesday night, so I hope things have finally start settling down. (Hopefully tomorrow night the Guide will be populated out to Thursday, but I'm not holding my breath. I normally check movies in advance to see if Netflix offers those movies on Blu-ray and, if so, will normally add the Blu-ray to my Netflix disc queue, but the TBAs have been playing havoc with my routine.)

My very humble setup:
Spoiler!
post #4914 of 4915 Old 11-04-2016, 09:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Oh, and I forgot the worst problem. For some time now, some single recordings (not series recordings) disappear before it's time to record. This often happens on Sunday nights when many shows have their first (new) episodes on at the same time and I have to manually set up later airings of the cable shows (on HBO, SHO, AMC, etc) to get all of them recorded. I usually set up these manual recordings a week or so ahead of time. But I make sure to check them on that Sunday morning. And usually, at least one or two of the manual recordings has disappeared and needs to be set up again. The worst incidence was last Saturday when I had set up the Oregon Ducks game to record. On Saturday morning, I saw that it was indeed set up to record. But at noon (or 2PM, whatever game time was), I noticed that the red record light did not come on. When I checked the recordings, I saw that it was not set to record. So I had to set it up again. Some time between 10AM and game time, the upcoming recording had been deleted. Very, very disturbing.
post #4915 of 4915 Old 11-04-2016, 09:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 684 Post(s)
Liked: 463
I had also noticed recording issues. Last Sunday, for example, I had a movie that ran 7:30am-9:30am, and a manual recording of the news from 8:30am to 9am. (With the frequent repeats of the news stories, I just record the last half hour and watch at a convenient time.) I saw the record light come on at 7:30am. However, when I got back home, it turned out that when the manual recording had ended, it also stopped recording the movie, so the last half hour wasn't recorded. Fortunately, it was on a movie channel that has multiple repeats, so I recorded it a couple days later. (I don't know about you, but I really don't like it when I get vested in an interesting movie but the conclusion just isn't there.)

My very humble setup:
Spoiler!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders