post #631 of 4812 Old 09-28-2009, 09:27 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanseda View Post

I thought I'd post my experiences with the DCX3400 from Comcast to see if others might be having the same issues:

I got mine installed last week by a technician and everything started off well. After a few days I noticed one night that the guide's clock was off by 5 hours (it was 9pm at the time but the guide was saying 4am). The guide was showing the channel's shows correctly for the current time (9pm) but I was worried that it might mess up anything I have setup to be recorded so I hard-reset the box. After the box booted up, It wasn't able to recieve any Comcast channels: It would load up the guide (empty and saying "Please wait" on all channels) but no channels were recieved. I spoke to Customer Service and they were stumped, they tried sending out new signals and they said I was receiving the signal perfectly but my box was having issues.

I brought back the box to the service center this morning and lucky for me they had another new DCX3400 there so I swapped them. I plugged in the new box and VIOLA! all the channels worked! So I knew the previous box was the issue and everything was fixed.... until this evening. I looked at the guide's clock and its off again by 5 hours (it is 8pm and its saying its 3am). Now I'm terrified to hard-reset the box again. I just tried OnDemand and it wont access it when it was just fine earlier today.

2 different DCX3400 boxes from Comcast and it seems they both are having issues? Anyone else having any issues like this?

I had a similar problem about two weeks ago. The time on the cable guide was running about five hours behind the actual time. My next door neighbor had the same problem. I called Comcast and got a recording that they were having system-level problems with the channel guide. It was fixed the next day. Next time this happens, you might want to give a neighbor with Comcast service a call and see if they have the same problem. Then you'll know if it's your box, or a system problem.

I'm actually surprised that there haven't been more problems with the DCX. The Comcast software distributed in my area is written for the DCH, not the DCX.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 4812 Old 09-28-2009, 10:52 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4mula1 View Post

Anyone else have this issue? Any time I use the 30 second skip, it resumes play with about 1 second of slow motion playback, then resumes to normal. I also noticed this happens when I go back to normal speed after FF. This does not happen on my DCT DVR.

I gather you're on Comcast? I'm on TWC, but I have a DCX3400. I'm curious about the "30 second skip" - I'm not aware of that function on my box. Is that specific to Comcast? What do you press on the remote for that? I've just been using FF to skim through commercials, but if I could skip 30 sec with one button, that would be cool...
post #633 of 4812 Old 09-28-2009, 12:21 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkushin View Post

I'm curious about the "30 second skip" - I'm not aware of that function on my box. Is that specific to Comcast? What do you press on the remote for that? I've just been using FF to skim through commercials, but if I could skip 30 sec with one button, that would be cool...

See this post about five pages back, describing how to program the remote for reassigning functions to different keys... and implementing the 30-second skip in particular.
post #634 of 4812 Old 09-28-2009, 01:54 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSperber View Post

See this post about five pages back, describing how to program the remote for reassigning functions to different keys... and implementing the 30-second skip in particular.

Thanks! I'll give this a try tonight...
post #635 of 4812 Old 09-28-2009, 03:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I picked up a DCX-3400 with a 320GB hard drive and 512MB RAM today. I got the regular light grey remote with it but didn't open it from the packaging yet because I don't really need it.

I still have my DCH-3416 and both DVR's are on top of each other. Right now I'm using cardboard to cover the front panel of the DVR that I don't want to control. Both are hooked up HDMI. I will return the DCH once were done watching everything off of it.

Getting the box setup was simple. Most channels worked out of the box. The premiums however all said "Subscription Service", and some digital channels 100+ and random ones below 100 said "Not Authorized'. A call to Comcast fixed that. The caller ID on screen is not active yet. The rep from the York PA call center was very helpful in trying to get it working, and also researching to make sure this model worked with on screen caller ID. She was able to send test messages to the other DVR, but the DCX would not display caller ID information. She said maybe check in 24 hours once the system has been on. I was able to go in the ITV menu and toggle the options on and off like she had asked. the MACGwclnt module is loaded in the diagnostics so I guess it's a matter of time for their system to update.

Overall I notice the front display is WAY brighter than the DCH box. Also the front panel is pretty cool how it clicks when you touch the buttons. I didn't notice any negative HDMI glitches yet, and I have it on Native. I wanted to just have 720p and 1080i selected, but then SD channels come in pillarboxed, so I have to have 480p selected as well (my TV does not do 480i over HDMI).

So far so good though.
post #636 of 4812 Old 09-28-2009, 04:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by cypherstream View Post

I picked up a DCH-3400 with a 320GB hard drive and 512MB RAM today. I got the regular light grey remote with it but didn't open it from the packaging yet because I don't really need it.

I still have my DCH-3416 and both DVR's are on top of each other. Right now I'm using cardboard to cover the front panel of the DVR that I don't want to control. Both are hooked up HDMI. I will return the DCH once were done watching everything off of it.

Getting the box setup was simple. Most channels worked out of the box. The premiums however all said "Subscription Service", and some digital channels 100+ and random ones below 100 said "Not Authorized'. A call to Comcast fixed that. The caller ID on screen is not active yet. The rep from the York PA call center was very helpful in trying to get it working, and also researching to make sure this model worked with on screen caller ID. She was able to send test messages to the other DVR, but the DCX would not display caller ID information. She said maybe check in 24 hours once the system has been on. I was able to go in the ITV menu and toggle the options on and off like she had asked. the MACGwclnt module is loaded in the diagnostics so I guess it's a matter of time for their system to update.

Overall I notice the front display is WAY brighter than the DCH box. Also the front panel is pretty cool how it clicks when you touch the buttons. I didn't notice any negative HDMI glitches yet, and I have it on Native. I wanted to just have 720p and 1080i selected, but then SD channels come in pillarboxed, so I have to have 480p selected as well (my TV does not do 480i over HDMI).

So far so good though.

Great for you to be able to see the DCX and DCH side by side--makes your observations esp valuable.

Do you find the PQ of the DCX to be better in any way than that of the DCH? I thought the the pic was more striking with my DCX than with the DCH, but since I didn't have the latter to compare it could be fooling myself. And I too really like the 'Native' setting, to be the very best HD pic possible for my large (126" diag) screen (with RS20 projector).
post #637 of 4812 Old 09-28-2009, 04:22 PM

Booo. Manchester, NH Comcast office gave me an old DCH model DVR and a Pace RNG-110 as replacements for my equipment. From what I understand, the Pace unit is brand new, but I have never heard of it. The DCH though has to be used.

They either ran out of the DCX-3400's or they do not have them. They were so busy there today, I didn't bother asking to see if they had any laying around.
post #638 of 4812 Old 09-28-2009, 07:23 PM
Advanced Member

Well I do notice the DCX is a little snappier in operation than the DCH. With both IR sensors uncovered and changing channels, you can see on the DCX LCD that the channel number, IR blink, and time display much faster. The IR light kinda "hangs" longer on the DCH, and it also changes the channel number a little later and holds it there later before displaying the time.

The video is tough to discern between HD and SD. On my TV when I switch HDMI inputs, there's a good 5 seconds before a picture comes up, and the box displays DUI on the front panel. But one thing I do notice is that SD is softer on the DCX box. I think because it's sending SD out at 480P. The DCH box I've had set to 1080i and Stretch for 4:3 Override, so it upconverted SD to 1080i and stretched it to fit for me. If I remove 480p from the DCX, it converts SD to 720p and adds pillars to the sides of the screen. Call me crazy, but I like my screen filled (helps reduce burn in).

So on SD channels the guide fills the screen now. On the DCH box it was always "centered" in the middle. On HD channels of course the guide is still centered.

The software is exactly the same. Just the firmware is different. I matched all of the picture settings on my TV from HDMI1 and HDMI2 and I think the DCX is a tad bit more "vivid" in the color department. It's also slightly crisper, especially on 720p channels. Most of the HD channels are 1080i, and switching between them is pretty quick. If switching to a 720p or SD channel, it does add another 3 seconds for my TV to display the new picture. When switching between 720p channels it's quick, but for some reason when switching between SD channels, it seems to take longer than when switching between a bunch of HD channels.

Right now I have 2 Hours 31 Min of HD and 1 Hr of SD and the DVR is 7% full. 2 Hours were from FOX HD and 31 Min was from TLC HD.

The DCX box has been plugged in since about 4:45 PM today and the guide data goes to about 4 AM. Past that there's a few spots of guide data, most of the grid is lined up time wise and color coded, but there's still a lot of "To Be Announced". Hopefully tomorrow the rest of the week is loaded so I can go in and reset my series recordings.

It would be nice if I could transfer my settings from the DCH to the DCX via a USB stick with the front mount USB port on both DVR's, but that's dreaming.

I played with the sharpness control in the configuration menu. There's a setting scale from 1 to 5 with 3 being the default. I thought it didn't do anything for HD, but it did seem to alter SD content. 5 was just too "over processed" looking. Reminded me of playing a 1990's Super Nintendo game on a modern day emulator which runs one of those "Super Eagle" upscaling algorithms. 1 also seemed too blurry, so I kept it at 3 for now.
post #639 of 4812 Old 09-29-2009, 12:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I matched all of the picture settings on my TV from HDMI1 and HDMI2 and I think the DCX is a tad bit more "vivid" in the color department. It's also slightly crisper, especially on 720p channels. Most of the HD channels are 1080i, and switching between them is pretty quick. If switching to a 720p or SD channel, it does add another 3 seconds for my TV to display the new picture.

like millerwill says, this is huge. i have previously stated i am totally skeptical of claims of improved PQ when they come from people who do not have the two boxes side by side. now you do. so you are in a unique position. even basic observations such as those the above are like gold.

Quote:

When switching between 720p channels it's quick, but for some reason when switching between SD channels, it seems to take longer than when switching between a bunch of HD channels.

i'll see if i'm observing this also. i hadn't really noticed before. since i am committed to using native, i am resigned to the long delays when switching channels and quit really paying attention. now i'll check to see if certain combinations of channels switch faster than others. of course i suppose it could be dependent on the display as well.
post #640 of 4812 Old 09-29-2009, 04:50 PM
Advanced Member

Yeah I plan to keep the DCH around until Thursday or Friday.

On my Samsung plasma, I see the very brief "Searching for Signals" when changing channels that have different resolutions. Like I said, Native adds about 3 seconds to the channel changing. But channel changing itself is much quicker than the DCH, and the DCH was much quicker than the DCT model I've had in the past. You can tell this new DCX box has a much faster processor.

I think SD looks much more smoothed over. Whereas on the DCH I could see each and every little artifact. Some people like the ultra crispness of upscaling SD to 1080i resolution, but all it really does is show off artifacts. The SD picture does take getting used to, as I've used the DCH to upconvert everything to 1080i. It's not horrible, just 'different'. I'm not sure if your familior with Edge Enhancement features on many modern TV's. It's like the DCH ran a VERY HEAVY edge enhancement algorithm on top of SD channels, where the DCX runs more of a "smoothing" algorithm, which does effectivly hide artifacts. It's really personal preference, as I've seen some people run with edge enhancement and their sharpness turned up way high, and I've also seen others with their sharpness turned down real low. On my TV I have my sharpness set to 30 out of 100, and Edge Enhancement is off.

Bottom line, is the picture quality of a DCX box BETTER than a DCH box?
For HD - There's not much difference, besides you can now have native passthrough. But for someone who had their DCH box set to 1080i, 1080 channels on the DCX look the same, if not "slightly" more vivid in the color department. I have both boxes set to YCC color profile in the Advanced HDMI settings. I tried RGB and the colors were really washed out.

For SD - The DCX box is substantially softer, but this can be a good thing as it smooths over digital artifacting due to compression. The 1 through 5 scale in the user settings menu will also change post processing on SD channels. I think 5 looks WAY over processed. All I can say is try it and judge for yourself. I have mine set at 4 right now. 1 is too soft, and 3 was the default.
post #641 of 4812 Old 09-29-2009, 08:16 PM
Advanced Member

great stuff- again many thanks.
post #642 of 4812 Old 09-30-2009, 10:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 45
A similar thing happened when my previous DCH3416 missed a recording.

DVR displays rEC
Scheduled Recordings displays CSI: NY @ 9pm
However, My Recordings does not show this happening and it's about 9:30pm.

Pause brings up the status bar & To Be Announced .. REC
Status bar is red & goes from 6:59pm to 10:01pm ??
And underneath is displayed 9:48 pm, the latest time that I paused it.
Cannot REW, however can advance and bring it up to Live.

While I was trying to figure out what was going on I noticed the DVR was 13% full. However yesterday it was only 12% full. I waiting till 10pm in case the recording would miraculously show up, which it did not. I unplugged the DVR for a few seconds & when it powered back on the DVR was 12% full again. So something was being recorded, but could not be accessed. Everything but My Recordings indicated something was being recorded, but it was not. I took a bunch of digital photos to validate what was happening.

Anyone else ever experience a similar situation or knows what the heck happened?
post #643 of 4812 Old 10-01-2009, 04:35 AM
Advanced Member

Yeah Mike, I don't think this is a DCX problem - I think it's an I-Guide problem. Like you, I've seen this happen on my DCH box. If you have Comcast, your best bet would be to compile a nice descriptive e-mail with your screenshots to george_lunski@cable.comcast.com . He's pretty good getting bugs sent to the developers.
post #644 of 4812 Old 10-01-2009, 01:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yeah Mike, I don't think this is a DCX problem - I think it's an I-Guide problem. Like you, I've seen this happen on my DCH box. If you have Comcast, your best bet would be to compile a nice descriptive e-mail with your screenshots to george_lunski@cable.comcast.com . He's pretty good getting bugs sent to the developers.

Thanks for the reply. I just sent Geoge Lunski an email and hopefully it made sense.

You mentioned your DCH box had this problem. Do you recall if it happened a lot? My DCX is only a few weeks old & I replaced it because the previous DCH missed a recording due to the same circumstances. I figured it was a defective recycled DCH unit, but I guess not.

I'll keep you informed, hopefully there is a solution.
post #645 of 4812 Old 10-01-2009, 02:40 PM
Advanced Member

Kind of funny different issues effect different people. I can't say I've ever had the problem you describe but the main consistent issue I get regardless of box is that I get a black screen saying 'one moment please' every couple days when I leave my DVR on (which I normally do & just turn my TV off). It's happened on every box I've had in the past ~18 months. DCT, DCH and now my current DCX. Although very few other people have reported this. Pics come in fine after changing channel to basically wake the box up.

Just my 2¢
Jon
post #646 of 4812 Old 10-01-2009, 04:34 PM
Advanced Member

I returned the DCH today. I'm just running with the DCX box now. Everything is still working great.
post #647 of 4812 Old 10-02-2009, 07:35 PM

the warehouses just received them and should be in the local cable stores by mid next week!
post #648 of 4812 Old 10-03-2009, 04:05 PM
AVS Club Gold

Still firmware 22.31. Rumor that 22.37 arrives late tonight. We'll see if it fixes the following issue, which I've now seen several times on my DCX3400 (320GB).

There was a power outage yesterday. When the electricity came back on the box started its normal 2-3 day job of getting the 2-week Guide info up to date, as well as re-scheduling my previously series and 1-off recordings.

I have a series recording set for "CSI: Original", normally Thursday nights at 9PM on CBS. Setting is for "first-run only".

For some reason, this coming Thursday's Guide info for "new" on this episode either has something weird in it that does not display, or there's a quirk in the box or iGuide software, but for some reason this Thursday's definitely "(NEW)" episode is not automatically scheduling itself for series recording.

Interestingly, the following Thursday's episode IS automatically scheduled from this series recording.

This has happened at least one time previously, and my solution then was simply to schedule a manual recording for the overlooked earlier airing. I actually expected that maybe I might eventually end up with two recordings if the series recording eventually scheduled itself. But that's not what happened. Instead, a few days later I noticed that my manually scheduled recording had magically converted itself into a series recording (different icon)... with only one recording scheduled! Interesting.

So now something like that had occurred again. Curious.

I wondered if it was an anomaly stemming from yesterday's power outage, or what was going on when that cell's Guide info was retrieved, or who knows what. Anyway, I decided this time it should easily be resolved by simply deleting the series recording completely (which would then un-schedule next week's currently scheduled recording), and then re-establishing the series recording.

So I did that. And after deleting the series I then navigated to this upcoming Thursday's episode in the Guide and pushed the OK button and then the red REC button. Well remarkably, the "set series recording" option was not shown to me!! Huh?

I canceled, and navigated to next week's episode in the Guide and sure enough I could "set a series recording" using that episode! So I did.

But something about this week's particular Guide info seems to tell the DCX/iGuide software that this week's showing of "CSI: Original" is not even capable of having a "series recording" set for it! I didn't know that ANY such Guide description could imply that.

Anyway, I now have my series recording for this show set again, and next week's airing is scheduled for recording and shows the series recording icon. And this week's airing is now scheduled for recording manually, and shows the manual recording icon.

I do expect to see the same odd change sometime over the next few days... that my manual recording icon for this Thursday's airing will convert itself to a series recording icon, but I will still end up with one and only one recording.

Again, this Thursday's Guide info looks perfectly normal. But there's obviously something unusual about it that is not displayed onscreen, but which is seemingly imbedded somewhere in the TV Guide data itself that is being interpreted by the software as "no series recording is possible"!

Not a major problem, but still interesting. And this is now at least the second time I've seen it.
post #649 of 4812 Old 10-03-2009, 06:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Still firmware 22.31. Rumor that 22.37 arrives late tonight. We'll see if it fixes the following issue, which I've now seen several times on my DCX3400 (320GB).

How do you know when a firmware update suppose to happen?
Does it affect any scheduled recordings or what you are watching live?
How long does the download usually take?
FWIW my DVR has version 22.35.
post #650 of 4812 Old 10-03-2009, 08:10 PM
sma
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by denali206 View Post

Anyone have a clue what the blinking arrows under the home icon may mean? I'm talking about the icons on the front panel. Now I no longer have the home icon. How 'bout a more in depth manual?

I looked at the responses to this older post and it does not seem that anyone knew. The manual does not describe the front panel icons for some reason.

Anyone know what the home icon means on the front? I have that displayed now but I don't think I did for the first few days that I had the DCX.

BTW, I noticed the blinking arrows icon under the home icon when the box was downloading new TV guide info after I had to pull the plug after the "green screen" problem (has firmware 22.35 btw). So maybe that one means a download is in progress...
post #651 of 4812 Old 10-03-2009, 09:35 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike99 View Post

How do you know when a firmware update suppose to happen?

Only because I acquired my DCX unit last month, after getting a unit sent to my local office for me earlier than the planned wide rollout in the LA area, per a high-up HD engineer at TWC here in LA that I've had communications with over the years.

After picking it up and installing it, I of course immediately ran into the standard HDMI-related issues others who'd gotten the unit earlier had reported in this thread. I emailed my TWC contact about my early observations with HDMI and the 22.31 firmware, and he responded back that there was a planned rollout of 22.37 in my area on October 4.

That's actually the only info I have on it and the source. I'll check tomorrow to see if it happens later tonight.

Quote:

Does it affect any scheduled recordings or what you are watching live?

Don't know. I'm guessing they schedule it for very late at night when most people are not watching or recording, for just this reason.

My guess is that a re-boot is triggered after the firmware update occurs, which (just like a power outage) would of course interfere with whatever you're doing at that moment.

Quote:

How long does the download usually take?

No idea, probably very little time. But again, I would be fairly certain a re-boot is necessary afterwards.
post #652 of 4812 Old 10-03-2009, 10:47 PM
AVS Special Member

DSperber,

Thanks for the reply. I have Comcast & it appears you have TWC. Perhaps that may make a difference on when/how firmware is upgraded.
post #653 of 4812 Old 10-04-2009, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjr View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by seanseda
I thought I'd post my experiences with the DCX3400 from Comcast to see if others might be having the same issues:

I got mine installed last week by a technician and everything started off well. After a few days I noticed one night that the guide's clock was off by 5 hours (it was 9pm at the time but the guide was saying 4am). The guide was showing the channel's shows correctly for the current time (9pm) but I was worried that it might mess up anything I have setup to be recorded so I hard-reset the box. After the box booted up, It wasn't able to recieve any Comcast channels: It would load up the guide (empty and saying "Please wait" on all channels) but no channels were recieved. I spoke to Customer Service and they were stumped, they tried sending out new signals and they said I was receiving the signal perfectly but my box was having issues.

I brought back the box to the service center this morning and lucky for me they had another new DCX3400 there so I swapped them. I plugged in the new box and VIOLA! all the channels worked! So I knew the previous box was the issue and everything was fixed.... until this evening. I looked at the guide's clock and its off again by 5 hours (it is 8pm and its saying its 3am). Now I'm terrified to hard-reset the box again. I just tried OnDemand and it wont access it when it was just fine earlier today.

2 different DCX3400 boxes from Comcast and it seems they both are having issues? Anyone else having any issues like this?

I had a similar problem about two weeks ago. The time on the cable guide was running about five hours behind the actual time. My next door neighbor had the same problem. I called Comcast and got a recording that they were having system-level problems with the channel guide. It was fixed the next day. Next time this happens, you might want to give a neighbor with Comcast service a call and see if they have the same problem. Then you'll know if it's your box, or a system problem.

I'm actually surprised that there haven't been more problems with the DCX. The Comcast software distributed in my area is written for the DCH, not the DCX.

When I contacted Customer Service, they tried re-sending the signal but they think it was just a bad box (which is suprising since these are completely new). So I replaced it and got a new DCX3400 from them and tried that out. It worked great for about 2 days and then the "wrong-time" problem popped back up again. I can hard-reset it ok, but after 2 days it starts displaying the wrong time again. This is quite annoying when you want to DVR some shows.
post #654 of 4812 Old 10-04-2009, 02:54 PM

Hey guys,

Early adopter here in Northern Illinois of the DCX. I went through the standard HDMI issues as others had experienced. But all has been working "fairly" well since the firmware upgrade to 22.35 a couple months ago.

Now I'm experiencing something new, or I should say my wife is. Both of my DCX boxes have now locked up the picture with a horizontal striped image. The strange thing is that the guide and menus work fine as well as the audio. I can change channels and the audio follows along with the change but the video stays on the same striped image.

The first box had the problem yesterday and the second box today. At the time one box was acting up, the other was working fine.

I was able to correct the first box by unplugging it for about 10 minutes, and it has been working fine ever since. Second box is unplugged while I'm typing this.

Connection setup:
First box - DCX -> HDMI -> Sony STR-KS2300 -> HDMI -> Sammy ln40a650
Second box - DCX -> HDMI -> Sammy ln52B750 plus DCX optical to non-HDMI AVR

Anyone else have this problem? I'm dreading going into the prime TV fall season with a DVR that may lock up at unoppertune times.

-Steve
post #655 of 4812 Old 10-04-2009, 08:34 PM
Advanced Member

Hey Mike99,

When your DVR does that "To Be Announced" recording bug, does the time bar look kinda weird and distorted like at this link:
http://home.comcast.net/~cypherx/IMG_0509.JPG

If you notice it shows some kinda weird timewarp. From 10:50p to 10:30p (like were going back in time).
Also the pause indicator looks glitched as well as a small vertical white line to the upper left of the pause indicator.

Tonight I had 2 recordings occurring at once. One of these shows was Curb your Enthusiasm on HBOHD from 10:00 to 10:30. I began watching this show by selecting the title in the My DVR menu about 10:15 and finished about 10:45. Upon getting to the end of the show, I pushed the down arrow to stop it. It kicked me back to the other tuner which was recording another program on an SD channel. I typed in Ch 232 and it took me to Ch 215 (HBOHD). I noticed the REC was on the DVR display as well as the REC LED, indicating that both tuners were recording.

Upon checking the DVR menu, it looks as if Curb your Enthusiasm never stopped recording as it was supposed to. It was at 50 minutes thus far (30 minutes of Curb + 20 minutes of Entourage.

Oddly even though the DVR indicated both tuners were recording, I was able to freely change the channel. So I went into the My DVR menu and noticed that with each channel change, it recorded an additional entry titled "Curb your Enthusiasm" (they are all 1 minute long, except for the original which is 50 minutes long).

http://home.comcast.net/~cypherx/IMG_0510.JPG

If I went into the Info of any of those 1 minute recordings, it does state that "This recording was interrupted while in progress". I deleted all of the rogue 1 minute recordings and it seems that it stopped recording these channel changes. The background tuner finished recording what it was for 59 minutes (due to an overlapped program prior to it's start).

Once I deleted all the rogue 1 minute recordings of "Curb your Enthusiasm", the DVR returned to normal behavior.

Pretty odd... This is on firmware 22.35.
post #656 of 4812 Old 10-04-2009, 10:28 PM
AVS Special Member

cypherstream,

My status bar looked normal, but it started earlier than it should have. And I could not REW, could only Pause or go forward.

My previous DCH3416 did have a time warp where the starting time was a future time. IOW it was something like 8:59pm and real time was only 8:10pm. The ending time was something like 10:00pm.

I have not experienced the multiple 1 minute recordings.

My missed recording did add 1% to the DVR full indicator. So it must have put something on the HDD, but no way to access it. Unplugging the DVR and powering back up reset the % full to the previous amount. So while some menu screens indicated the DVR was recording, others did not. I thought the DCH3416 also added 1% when it exhibited this same problem, but I never unplugged it to verify. Instead I got the DCX3400, which also has firmware 22.35.

The DCX3400 is my fourth DVR in 4 months. The first one missed a weeks worth of recordings when I was on vacation. It recorded the first day and missed the rest. The second DVR got in some kind of a power on/off cycle. It kept turning on & off by itself and I had to pull the plug in order to stop it. The third DVR missed a recording just like the DCX3400 missed. When I got this brand new DCX I thought finally all my problems were solved, but I guess not. Hopefully I’ll hear back from George at Comcast in the near future.

Here’s my status bar.
LL
post #657 of 4812 Old 10-05-2009, 01:07 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

This has happened at least one time previously, and my solution then was simply to schedule a manual recording for the overlooked earlier airing. I actually expected that maybe I might eventually end up with two recordings if the series recording eventually scheduled itself. But that's not what happened. Instead, a few days later I noticed that my manually scheduled recording had magically converted itself into a series recording (different icon)... with only one recording scheduled! Interesting.

As predicted, this same magical and mysterious "auto-change" from my manually set recording for this Thursday's show into the icon for a series recording (with no second duplicate scheduled) has once again occurred, just as it did on that earlier similar anomaly.

Now to be honest, I don't know if had I not set this manual recording yesterday (which got auto-changed into a series recording today) would it have eventually auto-scheduled this week's show as a normal series today.

So, Mike99, maybe your week's worth of "missed recordings" could have been caused by this same mysterious flakiness... where normally scheduled ongoing series airings of a show somehow are not seen as series-eligible because of some flag in the TVGuide data or by a bug in the DCX software, and thus not auto-scheduled. But manual setting works, which then a few days later gets auto-converted back into a series recording.

However I just deleted my series recording for this show. Then I navigated to the Guide cell for this show and pushed the REC button. Sure enough, the "set series recording" option is now shown for this week's airing, which was definitely NOT the case yesterday. So I set the series recording and of course now this week's and upcoming week's "NEW" episodes are correctly scheduled for recording, as they always should have been.

So it would seem that something in the original Guide info downloaded after the power outage for this Thursday's airing actually inhibited the recording scheduling logic to prevent seeing this Thursday's show as even part of a "series"! And yet now, a day later, whatever that flag was seems to have cleared itself up, and everything's now back to normal.
post #658 of 4812 Old 10-05-2009, 07:13 AM
Advanced Member

What gets me is, the DCX is running the same DVR guide software as the DCH and DCT boxes. So I'd think any of these bugs are platform independent.

On my DCH box, I've seen the "To Be Announced" time bar. I've seen the "NO" symbol when trying to REW, FF. I've seen the time warp thing.

But with the DCX that has 512MB memory, and the Guide only utilizing 128MB, maybe it causes some strange glitches?
post #659 of 4812 Old 10-05-2009, 11:03 AM
AVS Club Gold

I must admit I'm a bit surprised, but exactly as advised last month the 22.37 firmware rolled out to my DCX late last night.

I've now reconnected HDMI through my receiver and I'm pleased to report that all now seems to work just fine. "Native" sticks across channel changes so far there have been no anomalies or surprises.

Excellent.

(and yes, the box re-booted following the download)
post #660 of 4812 Old 10-05-2009, 04:44 PM
sma
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sma View Post

I looked at the responses to this older post and it does not seem that anyone knew. The manual does not describe the front panel icons for some reason.

Anyone know what the home icon means on the front? I have that displayed now but I don't think I did for the first few days that I had the DCX.

BTW, I noticed the blinking arrows icon under the home icon when the box was downloading new TV guide info after I had to pull the plug after the "green screen" problem (has firmware 22.35 btw). So maybe that one means a download is in progress...

Doesn't anyone know what the little home icon means on the front display? I just lost power for a bit and now the "home" icon is not displayed any longer. Just would like to know what it means since it seems to come and go.
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page