post #901 of 4842 Old 11-25-2009, 11:13 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor View Post

Does anyone know how to use this box on Time Warner to enter the exact minute of the recorded show you want to watch without having to fast forward?

No way, once it's recorded. Either start at the beginning, or start from where you left off (if you've previously watched some of it). But no way to start at an arbitrary minute-marker.

Also annoying that you can set a Guide-triggered recording to start on time or start early, or end on time or end late, but you can't set the show to start late or end early. This is very annoying with the scheduling tricks done by ABC specifically to thwart DVR users (who cannot record more than two shows at one time), when they have their shows end one minute past the hour or start one minute before the hour. There's no reason for this except to bother DVR users and get them to "watch live", since inevitably we're watching lead-in promos/ads or "previously on..." recaps or fade-out promos/ads during this extra minute.

Sure, you can manually set a recording by start-time/stop-time and channel, but then you don't see the show name and Info in the MyDVR list.

Oh well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #902 of 4842 Old 11-26-2009, 12:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSperber View Post

Also annoying that you can set a Guide-triggered recording to start on time or start early, or end on time or end late, but you can't set the show to start late or end early. This is very annoying with the scheduling tricks done by ABC specifically to thwart DVR users (who cannot record more than two shows at one time), when they have their shows end one minute past the hour or start one minute before the hour. There's no reason for this except to bother DVR users and get them to "watch live", since inevitably we're watching lead-in promos/ads or "previously on..." recaps or fade-out promos/ads during this extra minute.

Once in a while I've used my stand alone DVD recorder in order to capture those odd start time programs. Sometimes for the whole program & sometimes just for the couple minute overlap. It acts as my third tuner. Won't record in HD, but will tune in clear QAM HD channels & record them in SD.
post #903 of 4842 Old 11-28-2009, 09:27 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My understanding is that the difference between the DCX3400 and 3425 is the 3425 is TIVO
Is that correct?

Are these being supplied by Comcast on new installations or only available aftermarket?

Why are we here, because we're here, Roll the Bones
post #904 of 4842 Old 11-28-2009, 01:05 PM
Advanced Member

tivo is software. with comcast, tivo is a new england- only thing. the model number has nothing to do with tivo.

dcx3400 is the official name of the hardware unit regardless of the software running on it in a particular region of the country. people informally use the name DCX3425 for the 250 gig version of that unit to conform to motorola's previous STB naming conventions.

so technically therre is no such thing as a DCX 3425 but everyone agrees on what is meant by the term
post #905 of 4842 Old 11-28-2009, 09:05 PM

Just checking status.
Anyone get the DCX 3200 Firewire to work?
It worked when I first connected it, for about a day, then started pixelating.
The first time I reset the box it worked again for about an hour and that was it.
Think I may have a directshow issue also, as it will crash the box and xp if I query it too long from VLC.
post #906 of 4842 Old 11-28-2009, 10:50 PM

Liked: 12
I am on my second DCX box and the same problem: the box shuts itself off randomly, usually 3 or 4 times/week and then obviously all the guide data is gone until seemingly next Groundhog Day. Scheduled serial recordings are always in jeopardy. I have just now ordered a UPS to hopefully prevent micro blackouts affecting the box. Power to everything else in the home has always been stable. I've attached a new coaxial cable directly to the box, but no joy. Should I be thinking of a voltage regulator as well? This also happened to one of the two DCH boxes I had previously. (I am on my tenth STB in 5 years.) It is frustrating that Motorola can't make a box that actually stays on and/or responds to a remote control. I'm thinking of going back to using a Panasonic SD HDD recorder or a Magnavox HDD recorder and just forgetting HD, other than live. Thanks for letting me vent...
post #907 of 4842 Old 11-29-2009, 12:35 AM
Advanced Member

here's my latest (iguide/comcast) annoyance: if i am watching a show and i press the "info" button on the remote, the show's title is displayed as "to be announced" and there is no further information available.

yet at the exact same moment if i hit the "guide" button on the remote instead, i can get the normal info about the show including the correct title.

the problem is sporadic but has been happening a lot lately.
post #908 of 4842 Old 11-29-2009, 12:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stretch437 View Post

here's my latest (iguide/comcast) annoyance: if i am watching a show and i press the "info" button on the remote, the show's title is displayed as "to be announced" and there is no further information available.

yet at the exact same moment if i hit the "guide" button on the remote instead, i can get the normal info about the show including the correct title.

Do you by any chance get the 'tba' message if you've gone back in time on a current/live show (ie. 15sec rwd or regular rwd)? This would make some sense as there's a known issue of the show info not displaying correctly many times in those circumstances.

Just my 2¢
Jon
post #909 of 4842 Old 11-30-2009, 08:03 AM

I, for a number of years, been able to pull HD content off my Motorola DCT6200 cable DVR. I have Comcast Cable. I have been using a Mac with AVC Browser software. All of a sudden today, November 30, 2009, the unit shutdown came back on and I can no longer get anything off my box via firewire. It appears Comcast has updated my box and turned OFF the firewire. Has anyone else experienced this?
post #910 of 4842 Old 11-30-2009, 08:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff2018 View Post

I, for a number of years, been able to pull HD content off my Motorola DCT6200 cable DVR. I have Comcast Cable. I have been using a Mac with AVC Browser software. All of a sudden today, November 30, 2009, the unit shutdown came back on and I can no longer get anything off my box via firewire. It appears Comcast has updated my box and turned OFF the firewire. Has anyone else experienced this?

Whew! Scared me. I have a DCH6412 and it's working ok. Connected to a DVHS deck and it's recording just fine.
post #911 of 4842 Old 11-30-2009, 03:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonwww View Post

Do you by any chance get the 'tba' message if you've gone back in time on a current/live show (ie. 15sec rwd or regular rwd)? This would make some sense as there's a known issue of the show info not displaying correctly many times in those circumstances.

could be- i'll try to reproduce it while watching live content.
post #912 of 4842 Old 12-01-2009, 01:17 AM

Same Time To Switch Channels Using Native or Fixed With The DCX?

The reason for my question is that I am planning to switch from D* to Comcast. With the D* box it takes about twice the time to change channels if it is set up to send native signals rather than always sending 1080i.

Thanx,
post #913 of 4842 Old 12-01-2009, 01:39 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard in SF View Post

Same Time To Switch Channels Using Native or Fixed With The DCX?

The reason for my question is that I am planning to switch from D* to Comcast. With the D* box it takes about twice the time to change channels if it is set up to send native signals rather than always sending 1080i.

I think the time to switch channels using "native" depends on the resolution of the from/to channels and how quickly your HDTV will change resolutions.

My experience is that going from 1080i->1080i or 720p->720p takes almost no time, while changing channels that have different resolutions may take 1-2 seconds, for my Sony 34XBR960 to re-set.
post #914 of 4842 Old 12-01-2009, 10:13 AM

Sorry if the answer to this has already been discussed, but I just signed up for Comcast's DVR service recently.

What I was given was a DCH3416, which seems to hold only 20 hours of HD shows, which I'm already finding to be not enough.

Annoyingly, due to not receiving some channels and some recording glitches, Comcast says the DCH box they gave me initially is defective.

Now I find out through here and other internet sources that Comcast has these newer DCX-series boxes with 250gb (or more?) of storage, so I'm a little ticked that they gave me the outdated box with less storage (and a broken one at that).

Are the DCX boxes available in only select markets, or nationwide? I'm in metro DC (MD). If the higher-capacity DCX boxes are available nationally, what can I do to make sure I get one as a replacement for the defective DCH box Comcast already provided me with?
post #915 of 4842 Old 12-01-2009, 10:50 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 33
they should be available by now in virtually all comcastic markets.. especially in maryland! are you near gaithersburg or rockvillle? they most definitely have those boxes out. if your initial box is defective, then return it at a local comcastic store for replacement...
post #916 of 4842 Old 12-01-2009, 10:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff2018 View Post

You must have gotten a new version of firmware that further crippled it. What version firmware does your box have now? I think you can check it by going to menu-cable box settings-about us/configuration or something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stretch437 View Post

I've had this for years off and on, continuing bug with these moto boxes on Comcast. Sometimes when I reboot it lasts weeks before this shows up, sometimes only a day or two. Rebooting it(pulling the plug) is the only way to have a chance at fixing it. But if you reboot right when you go to bed, then by the time you get home from work the next day, that's like 18-20 hours so most of your guide data should be populated back by then.
post #917 of 4842 Old 12-01-2009, 12:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

jonwww - i did confirm that the issue only occurs when watching content out of the "buffer". the issue goes away when you are watching the show live. somehow i missed this 'known issue'. thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ak3883 View Post

I've had this for years off and on, continuing bug with these moto boxes on Comcast. Sometimes when I reboot it lasts weeks before this shows up, sometimes only a day or two. Rebooting it(pulling the plug) is the only way to have a chance at fixing it. But if you reboot right when you go to bed, then by the time you get home from work the next day, that's like 18-20 hours so most of your guide data should be populated back by then.

ak3833 - i will try hard power cycle just to see if it goes away. it's actually a pretty minor annoyance in the grand scheme of things, especially when the guide button is always there as a workaround. still, i do like things to "just work", so i'll give it a try. thanks.
post #918 of 4842 Old 12-01-2009, 02:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRXpilot View Post

Now I find out through here and other internet sources that Comcast has these newer DCX-series boxes with 250gb (or more?) of storage, so I'm a little ticked that they gave me the outdated box with less storage (and a broken one at that).

Comcast and other providers can't guarantee that a particular box will be issued out & believe it or not boxes that get turned in for various reasons generally get reused after a quick check to see if they're working (unfortunately not all issues are caught during the check in warehouse). Depending on the area you live in you could easily get one of six or more models of the Moto DVR ranging from 120Gb to 320Gb harddrive & possibly 4+ years old. What did you think they did with used boxes that they wouldn't issue them back out? Send them back to Moto for a credit for a new one?

Just my 2¢
Jon
post #919 of 4842 Old 12-01-2009, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameskollar View Post

Whew! Scared me. I have a DCH6412 and it's working ok. Connected to a DVHS deck and it's recording just fine.

Which DVHS deck do you use? From what I can tell, the JVC 3000 does not record off Firewire while the 4000 does.

Cheers,

jr

Knowledge is good. - Emil Faber, Faber College
post #920 of 4842 Old 12-01-2009, 05:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:

Comcast and other providers can't guarantee that a particular box will be issued out & believe it or not boxes that get turned in for various reasons generally get reused after a quick check to see if they're working (unfortunately not all issues are caught during the check in warehouse). Depending on the area you live in you could easily get one of six or more models of the Moto DVR ranging from 120Gb to 320Gb harddrive & possibly 4+ years old. What did you think they did with used boxes that they wouldn't issue them back out? Send them back to Moto for a credit for a new one?

I picked up my first DVR, DCH3216, at a Comcast store. I took it out of the plastic bag when I got home & noticed several fingerprints. I had to wipe several times with a damp cloth to clean up the unit. I turned it over & the fan was full of dust, which I vacuumed out best possible. IOW no one ever looked at this DVR before it was recycled.

Had a problem with this unit (missed recordings) and a tech brought out a clean replacement. He said Motorola is supposed to go over the DVRs before recycling. However they never even cleaned my first one. Anyway this second DVR got into a power off/on cycle. It just kept turning off & on and the only way I could stop it was to momentarily unplug the unit.

A friend got one of the older models (I thinks it's a DCT) a couple years ago which was brought out by a Comcast tech. It still had recordings on it from the previous "owner".
post #921 of 4842 Old 12-01-2009, 06:09 PM

I just picked up a couple of DVR's from Comcast. The model number on the sticker on the bottom of the unit is "DCX3400/A385/000/320".

Does that mean I have a 320GB drive? If not, how do I find out the drive capacity?
post #922 of 4842 Old 12-01-2009, 06:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emil Faber View Post

Which DVHS deck do you use? From what I can tell, the JVC 3000 does not record off Firewire while the 4000 does.

Cheers,

jr

JVC HM-DH5U. Previous to that I had a Mits xxxx which only had firewire I/O (no component). I also had a DLP tht accepted firewire input but I could see the writing on the wall as most (all?) new TV's do not have firewire input hence the JVC which has HDMI output.

An aside: HDMI out is only for video on the JVC. You need a toslink connection for sound.
post #923 of 4842 Old 12-01-2009, 07:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangible View Post

I just picked up a couple of DVR's from Comcast. The model number on the sticker on the bottom of the unit is "DCX3400/A385/000/320".

Does that mean I have a 320GB drive? If not, how do I find out the drive capacity?

Yes, congratulations on getting one.

Just my 2¢
Jon
post #924 of 4842 Old 12-02-2009, 05:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Quote:

An aside: HDMI out is only for video on the JVC. You need a toslink connection for sound.

Really? Hmmm. I can't find any mention of that in the manual.

I wonder if this has something to do with the fact that I can't establish an HDMI connection with my JVC and my Denon AVR, which I suspect is a handshake issue. So I'm running component/toslink out to the Denon (then HDMI to the TV). With my old AVR I ran HDMI to the TV and toslink to the AVR since I didin't want to use the TV's speakers, so it was never apparent to me if this is the case.
post #925 of 4842 Old 12-02-2009, 12:48 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

JVC HM-DH5U. Previous to that I had a Mits xxxx which only had firewire I/O (no component). I also had a DLP tht accepted firewire input but I could see the writing on the wall as most (all?) new TV's do not have firewire input hence the JVC which has HDMI output.

I have a DT100U, which uses the same architecture as the DH5U.

I have the HDMI output connected to my Eizo monitor which has an HDMI input as well as built-in speakers. And yet, I too have no sound from the monitor. But I do get sound if I connect the optical output to the optical input of my computer's sound card but only if I also set the VCR's "AUDIO FUNCTION" for "OPTICAL OUT" to "2CH-PCM", as my computer's sound card software does not support Dolby Digital input.

Now the "OPTICAL OUT" audio setting must only affect the optical output, and not the HDMI output... at least I think that's the case. So I'm guessing the HDMI audio would still carry the native Dolby Digital even if the "OPTICAL OUT" specifies 2CH-PCM. So unless your HDTV can accept Dolby Digital audio I would think you'd have no sound from your HDTV just as I get no sound from my Eizo monitor via HDMI even though I get video.

Knowing how much problem there was with the Motorola DVRs handling HDMI going through a receiver for "native" in the DCX, and how much variation there is with success depending on receiver brand, I guess nothing's guaranteed. It's certainly possible that the JVC implementation of HDMI (quite a number of years ago, so it's probably HDMI 1.0) may not support audio going through a receiver even though the video does.

Note that in my computer situation, I have the analog L/R audio out of my DT100U connected to the LINE-IN of my sound card, which allows me to get sound from my computer (instead of from my monitor's built-in speakers intended to support audio via HDMI) while the video is delivered by HDMI to my monitor.

Also, in the "troubleshooting" section of the DT100U manual there is a PLAYBACK symptom described as "sound cannot be heard", with three possible causes associated with the use of HDMI. All explanations are similar to what I've described above... namely that the display device cannot handle Dolby Digital, and the solution is to use analog audio from VCR to the TV/receiver.

Or, you can use the optical connection to a receiver if you want true support for multi-channel Dolby Digital sound (or 2CH-PCM audio). Certainly this definitely works just fine.
post #926 of 4842 Old 12-02-2009, 01:13 PM

I've set the resolution on my new DCX to 1080i, with the 4:3 override turned off. This seems to make my 1080p TV happy - HD channels fill the screen, and non-HD have sidebars, as I prefer.

What does the "Native" setting mean, and would my results be different? Does it sense the TV's capability through the HDMI cable? If so, it might not work for me, as the HDMI signal goes through an AV Receiver before it hits the TV.
post #927 of 4842 Old 12-02-2009, 03:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangible View Post

I've set the resolution on my new DCX to 1080i, with the 4:3 override turned off. This seems to make my 1080p TV happy - HD channels fill the screen, and non-HD have sidebars, as I prefer.

What does the "Native" setting mean, and would my results be different? Does it sense the TV's capability through the HDMI cable? If so, it might not work for me, as the HDMI signal goes through an AV Receiver before it hits the TV.

Dont worry about the receiver, HDMI is smart enough to know to talk to the TV not receiver. Ours is routed through the receiver as well and it does just fine.

Native will pass whatever is received. 720p, 1080i, 480...
post #928 of 4842 Old 12-02-2009, 04:27 PM
AVS Special Member

DSperber,

Just an FYI.

My TV passes DD5.1 from the DCX just fine to my AVR. It does not pass any sound from my JVC. It's not a DD problem. I don't *normally* use my TV speakers but again my TV plays sound just fine from the DCX but not from the JVC.
post #929 of 4842 Old 12-02-2009, 09:19 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

My TV passes DD5.1 from the DCX just fine to my AVR.

You have your DCX going HDMI direct to your HDTV, and then you have optical audio out from your HDTV to your AVR? That's different than going from DCX through your AVR via HDMI and then on to your HDTV via HDMI.

Although I have the speakers on my Sony 34XBR960 disabled, when I activate them with HDMI input selected (coming HDMI from my Yamaha receiver, fed by HDMI from the DCX) I get no sound from the HDTV's speakers.

However if I connect the DCX directly to the HDTV via HDMI (bypassing the receiver) I do get sound from the HDTV's speakers.

I have a feeling the explanation here is, again, a DD-related story. In no case can my XBR960 handle Dolby Digital. It can only handle 2CH-PCM stereo, which it picks off of the ATSC audio stream when its own OTA tuner is in use.

I think that when the DCX is connected directly to the XBR960 via HDMI, the HDTV tells the DCX it can only receive 2CH-PCM stereo and thus that's the type of audio it is fed by the DCX over HDMI... and that is why I hear sound from my HDTV. It's actually 2CH-PCM stereo sound, not DD5.1.

Either that, or the HDTV is simply picking off the 2CH-PCM stereo stream from the combined audio fed from the DCX (including the DD5.1 audio as well), as it does when the ATSC tuner is in use for OTA broadcasts.

I don't know what the XBR960 would pass through to its optical output if it were fed directly from the DCX via HDMI. But I could perform that experiment, using the receiver (fed from the optical output of the XBR960) to see if it's 2CH-PCM stereo or the original full DD5.1 coming from the DCX being passed on through (even though I know it's not DD5.1 being heard through its speakers).

But when the receiver is in the middle the DCX thinks that the "connected device" CAN receive DD5.1 audio and so that's what it sends out over HDMI to be accepted and handled properly by the receiver. But this same audio stream then gets passed on through the HDMI connection to the HDTV, which cannot handle the DD audio. Hence I get NO sound from HDTV if the receiver is an HDMI relay between DCX and HDTV. Of course presumably the audio should be handled by the receiver in this case and not by the HDTV, so the loss of sound on the HDTV should be of no concern.

At least that's my explanation for why the very same source program playing on the DCX will produce sound from my XBR960 if the DCX is connected directly to the HDTV via HDMI, but will NOT produce sound if the receiver is connected in the middle. With the receiver involved the DCX sends DD5.1 audio over HDMI (which cannot be handled by my HDTV). With a direct HDMI connection to the HDTV the DCX sends 2CH-PCM stereo over HDMI (which can be handled by my HDTV).

Quote:

It does not pass any sound from my JVC. It's not a DD problem. I don't *normally* use my TV speakers but again my TV plays sound just fine from the DCX but not from the JVC.

Unfortunately, my DT100U is in another room (connected to my computer). When I get a chance I will bring it back to my main HDTV area and run this same experiment, going HDMI (a) direct to HDTV, and (b) through my Yamaha receiver.
post #930 of 4842 Old 12-02-2009, 11:33 PM

Are people getting the DCX3432 in WA, mainly the kitsap area? Hoping to get a DCX3432 and a DCX3200 for my new home.
Reply HDTV Recorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page