Official AVS Motorola DCX series HD DVR Topic! - Page 40 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 13Likes

post #1171 of 4816 Old 01-10-2010, 08:35 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I have the DCH3416 and have not had any problems with it but want to get the best audio/video quality I can, should I go to the trouble of getting Comcast to replace my DCH3416 with the newer DCX3400?

Will I notice a difference in picture quality on my 50" Panasonic Plasma?

I really do not need any more DVR memory as the DCH3416 has been plenty.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1172 of 4816 Old 01-10-2010, 09:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazer1 View Post

I have the DCH3416 and have not had any problems with it but want to get the best audio/video quality I can, should I go to the trouble of getting Comcast to replace my DCH3416 with the newer DCX3400?

Will I notice a difference in picture quality on my 50" Panasonic Plasma?

I really do not need any more DVR memory as the DCH3416 has been plenty.

Some people may claim a slight increase in quality with the DCX, but I can't notice it with my 56" Samsung DLP using component video cables and digital coax audio.
post #1173 of 4816 Old 01-10-2010, 09:20 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by crossbeaux View Post

Some people may claim a slight increase in quality with the DCX, but I can't notice it with my 56" Samsung DLP using component video cables and digital coax audio.

I think most of the improvement is in the sharper text and menu rendering (a 'feature' of the chip in the DCX), which some construe as improved picture quality.

HDTV Recorder Comparison Chart | DTVPal DVR FAQ | New! TiVo Premiere (Series4) FAQ |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #1174 of 4816 Old 01-10-2010, 09:34 AM

Liked: 12
Sounds like it may not be worth the trouble of dealing with Comcast to upgrade the box,....I will keep what I have.
post #1175 of 4816 Old 01-10-2010, 10:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSperber View Post

So really, the 1376 device (e.g. Motorola DVRs) functional EFC code set is a superset of the 0476 device (old General Instrument / Jerrod cable box) for old/standard "cable functions", as well as new "DVR functions".

Correct, with a few more codes added/enabled.

Quote:

I don't see why this should be necessary, unless there's some difference in how the MyDVR function for 00175 works on Comcast equipment.

Here in TWC/LA the old silver remote "MyDVR" button function when they were giving out those remotes (when they used to be Comcast) now appears on the UE 1056B01 "big black" remotes currently being distributed as a green "LIST" button. But the function invoked from that single green "LIST" button is to go instantly to the existing recordings list... i.e. the 00175 function, as I understood it.

The only way you would have to involve a multi-button action to get to the same recordings list is if you didn't use this LIST (00175) key to present your recordings list, but rather used Menu -> DVR -> My Recordings.

But again... I don't see the need for any macro to accomplish 00175 (i.e. LIST <-> MyDVR), which as implemented by TWC/LA on its DVRs is an instantaneous presentation of the existing recordings list, which of course is the ideal goal result.

The 00175 code must act differently on the TWC software. If you press the MyDVR button on a Comcast DVR (programmed with 00175) it will first take you to a DVR section with 4 choices where you can set series priority, set manual recording, see future recordings or go to DVR recordings saved on the box. It used to take you directly to the saved recordings up until a couple years ago when they put that extra 4 option screen in there.

As kjbawc said earlier the Page +/- are already pre-programmed to work the 5min skips if they can do them (codes 00172 & 00176) so the buttons do dual purpose depending on what you're doing. Just like the 'up arrow' (00051) scrolls through the guide one line at a time if you're in a guide or menu AND also pauses/plays live TV, a recorded show or OnDemand if you're watching one of those things with no guide or menu up.

I haven't seen an EFC breakdown on the 01982 code yet. The only thing I know about that is from what I've heard there is no native 30sec skip, that's why some people program 00476 or 01376 to the AUX button & use it from there. I've thought about reading the codes from it myself but it's not worth the hassle as the 00476/01376 codes work better in my opinion.

Just my 2¢
Jon
post #1176 of 4816 Old 01-10-2010, 12:02 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonwww View Post

The 00175 code must act differently on the TWC software. If you press the MyDVR button on a Comcast DVR (programmed with 00175) it will first take you to a DVR section with 4 choices where you can set series priority, set manual recording, see future recordings or go to DVR recordings saved on the box. It used to take you directly to the saved recordings up until a couple years ago when they put that extra 4 option screen in there.

For TWC/LA (and even when we were Comcast) this 4-choice DVR-related dialog panel only appears via the multi-button sequence of Menu -> DVR. It does not appear directly from any single key, and never has... not from the MyDVR when we used the old Comcast silver remote nor from the green LIST with the new UE 1056B01 "big black" remote.

I notice that the 0476 code set includes a 00239 function named "LIST". This is non-functional on my TWC/LA DCH/DCX boxes, even though there is an actual key now which is green and is named "LIST" which takes you instantly and directly to the list of recordings with that single click. [I'm referring to the default action for "LIST", as I've swapped the oval OnDemand and green LIST buttons, because I prefer the location of that big oval key in the dark when I want to look at my recordings list and virtually never use OnDemand].

I wonder if this is what was really intended by 00239, with 00175 (shown as "DVR" in the 0476 code set) actually intended to be the function to present the 4-choice DVR dialog you seem to get on Comcast with 00175.

Have you tried 00239 ("LIST") on the Comcast system, to see if that was genuinely implemented as the "instant GOTO recordings list" which is 00175 on the TWC/LA system?

Quote:

As kjbawc said earlier the Page +/- are already pre-programmed to work the 5min skips if they can do them (codes 00172 & 00176) so the buttons do dual purpose depending on what you're doing. Just like the 'up arrow' (00051) scrolls through the guide one line at a time if you're in a guide or menu AND also pauses/plays live TV, a recorded show or OnDemand if you're watching one of those things with no guide or menu up.

Perfectly clear now.

In the TWC/LA case where the software in the DVR does not support dual-speed skip forward/back, the PAGE + button is non-functional except when looking at the Guide along with the PAGE - button. In DVR/Live play mode the PAGE + button has no effect and the Page - button is the 15-second rewind, just like the reverse-curve button (00179 function).

Ok. I think we've successfully beaten this one to death.
post #1177 of 4816 Old 01-10-2010, 01:38 PM

I have Cox cable.

I assume the Sata, usb, and fireware are strictly for adding additional storage via external hard drives?

Is the ethernet port used for firmware upgrades and are updates available?
post #1178 of 4816 Old 01-10-2010, 03:37 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdgeary View Post

I assume the Sata, usb, and fireware are strictly for adding additional storage via external hard drives?

In theory (we all assume), the SATA port would be used for additional external storage. However to the best of my knowlege there are no cable systems using this hardware where this feature has been enabled. So it's "reserved for future use".

Presumably, the USB port is for connection to either a digital recording device of some sort, or as you suggest possibly for an external drive (but I doubt it). Again, has never been actively enabled that I'm aware of. Again, "reserved for future use".

Firewire port has ALWAYS been active and 100% functional on all previous generations and models of Motorola STB/DVR boxes (and in fact there have always been TWO firewire ports, allowing the box to be at the end of a firewire chain or in the middle of a firewire chain). It is specifically for offloading digital content from the DVR (either live or previously recorded) to a 5C-compliant firewire-enabled recording device (e.g. DVHS VCR from JVC for all non-PPV/OnDemand content, and PC for all 5C copy-always content). However in the case of the DCX3400, Motorola seems to have broken something (as well as downsized to only a single firewire port). In fact, all users in this forum who have attempted to record via firewire from DCX3400 to any previously legitimate recording device have been unsuccessful. The recorded results are corrupted and unusable. Motorola is aware of the problem, and hopefully will eventually fix it, and hopefully eventually the fix will go to cable companies, and hopefully eventually the upgraded firmware containing the fix will be pushed out by cable companies to end-users of the DCX3400. Fingers crossed.

Quote:

Is the ethernet port used for firmware upgrades and are updates available?

Presumably this is possible, but again not active or operational "reserved for future use".

Firmware upgrades to the box are actually distributed via the normal cable coax, pushed out from the cable company head end. The boxes are under complete control of the head end and can have software updated and automatic reboots forced on command... via cable coax. You do nothing. Your equipment is controlled by the cable company.
post #1179 of 4816 Old 01-10-2010, 07:40 PM

I kind of feel like I created a monster here in sidetracking the discussion up thread, but now I'm utterly confused!

Assume I just got home with my DVX3400 and new dark gray remote. What are the exact steps I should go through to (re)program the remote so I can then program the remote to do the 30 second skip and the tuner swap?

The more basic the explanation, the better
post #1180 of 4816 Old 01-10-2010, 08:32 PM
AVS Special Member

No need to program the tuner swap. That is accomplished by using the PIP Swap button. Try your "Page Up" button, and see if it does a 30sec. skip, instead of a 5min. skip, and you may not need to program at all.
post #1181 of 4816 Old 01-10-2010, 08:46 PM

page up and page down do a 5 minute skip and pip swap button doesn't do anything.

ETA: however, when the AUX button is pressed, these functions do work. However, the volume control changes something but it's not the TV (which I programmed into the remote) and which does work when the CABLE button is pressed.

So very odd.
post #1182 of 4816 Old 01-10-2010, 08:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgergirl View Post

pip swap button doesn't do anything.

That is very odd. Switching between tuners with the PIP Swap button is standard on Moto DVRs, AFAIK. It's certainly been that way on mine. The user shouldn't have to program anything to switch tuners. Is it possible both tuners were set on the same channel, when you switched? Or, was that button somehow reprogrammed?
post #1183 of 4816 Old 01-10-2010, 08:59 PM

No, the tuners were on different channels.

Maybe when I programmed the 30 sec skip, I did something to mess it up.

So, is there a way to get the remote back to square one?

kjbawc, thanks for you help.
post #1184 of 4816 Old 01-10-2010, 09:11 PM

Hello,

Does anyone know the code for the Onkyo 707 to enter into the DCX3400 remote controller?

I have the DCX remote doing DVR duty, turning off/on tv; but now want to add the receiver into the mix. Basically just want to turn the receiver off/on and be able to lock the volume control to it.

The codes I used gave two different responses. One turned off the receiver, but would not turn back on and the other problem was the the volume was not working up or down.

So I thought maybe there is a newer code to try.

Anyone doing something similar?

Tim
post #1185 of 4816 Old 01-11-2010, 12:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well, you can check the wikipedia wikibook, How to use a Motorola DVR. most of that info applies to the DCX series too.
post #1186 of 4816 Old 01-11-2010, 03:42 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by timfierro View Post

Does anyone know the code for the Onkyo 707 to enter into the DCX3400 remote controller?

The codes I used gave two different responses. One turned off the receiver, but would not turn back on and the other problem was the the volume was not working up or down.

I have a similar power on/off story with my Yamaha RX-V863. But it's clearly caused by the design of the receiver and its own remote.

There actually are TWO buttons on the Yamaha remote: (1) POWER, which turns the unit on from standby state, and (2) STANDBY, which places the unit into standby state from ON.

But the remote for the DCX3400 (i.e. whatever remote your cable company gives out, in my TWC/LA case the UE 1056B01 "big black") only has a single POWER button, so when you use the device code for the Yamaha receiver (either entering it or scanning for it) to find one that turns it off and gets it into standby you've assigned only one of the two power-related relevant buttons that Yamaha put on their own remote.

Obviously, the Yamaha receiver itself responds to two separate and distinct power-related codes... one for ON and a different one for OFF. Hence, my TWC/LA remote for the DCX3400 can only implement one of them, and I chose to use it for OFF (i.e. to correspond to the "STANDBY" button on the Yamaha remote). So I'm forced to use my finger pushing the POWER button on the face of the Yamaha receiver itself to turn it back ON (or pick up the Yamaha remote and turn the receiver on).

Actually, I think I may have tried to find if the 1056B01 could actually find the right IR code to power the Yamaha ON from standby, and I think I was unsuccessful. This was another reason I simply gave up and accepted that I'd only be able to power the Yamaha OFF using my DVR remote.

On the second issue... with the device code I ultimately used to define the AUD device (i.e. the Yamaha receiver) to power it OFF with the DCX3400 remote, and the programming ability of the TWC/LA UE 1056B01 remote, I was also able to reassign the large VOLUME UP/DOWN buttons on the remote from its default "locked" assignment to TV and re-lock it to AUD. It's a two-step process, to first un-lock the VOLUME control from its current [TV] device, and then to re-lock the VOLUME to a different [AUD, i.e. Yamaha] device.

But now that it's been unlocked, re-assigned, and relocked, my 1056B01 VOLUME buttons control the volume on the Yamaha receiver and not my TV, even when I'm using the CBL device on the remote to control the DCX3400. VERY VERY CONVENIENT.
post #1187 of 4816 Old 01-11-2010, 06:13 AM

Just got the DCX because my old 3416 HDMI port was bad. Yesterday during the football game, i did the 15 sec rewind to rewatch a play and there is no video. The same happens when rewinding in any mode. With the old pvr, I could see as I was rewinding.

What to I have to set to make it work as the old one did
post #1188 of 4816 Old 01-11-2010, 08:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul172 View Post

Just got the DCX because my old 3416 HDMI port was bad. Yesterday during the football game, i did the 15 sec rewind to rewatch a play and there is no video. The same happens when rewinding in any mode. With the old pvr, I could see as I was rewinding.

What to I have to set to make it work as the old one did

This has happened a few times with my DCX as well. You will (at least I do) get video while rewinding most of the time, but every now and then, it shows no video. I simply pause it and the play again, and the video comes back. i do not know what causes it, but since no other previous model did this, I would assume it has something to do with the DCX.
post #1189 of 4816 Old 01-11-2010, 02:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Well now you've just created a big hot mess!!

I'm guessing that you programmed the AUX button to the 00476 code? If you read through some of DSperber's posts & mine for the past couple days you'd see that the 00476 code doesn't have the Swap built (and some other buttons) in it by default, whereas the 01376 code does. However to avoid messing with the AUX button you can just unlock the CABLE button & program that.
Press CABLE button & release it
Press & hold Setup button for about 3 seconds until you see Cable button blink a few times, then release that
Press 982 (you should see the cable button light blink about 4 times)

You can now program the CABLE button:
Press CABLE button & release it
Press & hold Setup button for about 3 seconds until you see Cable button blink a few times, then release that
Press 01376
--The remote will now function as the older silver remote & the 30skip can be programmed to whatever button you like following the wiki instructions on how to program it without needing to mess with AUX.

30sec skip instructions

If you were in the AUX mode & changing the Volume the way you had it you were probably changing the cable box volume (a white volume bar on the top of the screen as opposed to the normal TV volume bar you usually see).

Just my 2¢
Jon
post #1190 of 4816 Old 01-11-2010, 06:53 PM

jonwww, thank you!

Whatever I did to screw up the remote, your instructions (basic enough for an idiot like me to understand) set things right.

The remote isn't programmed like it was when I left the Comcast office, but it's no matter because I can do the 30 second skip AND the tuner swap now and I'm happy.

Thanks much!
post #1191 of 4816 Old 01-11-2010, 07:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 59
My 3416 was starting to misbehave so I swapped it for a DCX3400/320GB DVR. I have some issues with the new box that are annoying. The menus and program information plaques at the bottom of the screen have a pronounced flicker. At first I didn't think that it was a big deal but it has become increasingly distracting. I always leave the box settings at 1080i/480i but for some reason the override was set to off and when I changed from an HD to an SD channel, I got a diagonal hatch pattern before the SD channel locked in. With override set to 480i, the problem disappeared. I've also noticed some occasional audio delays when changing HD channels and when the box is first turned on, a momentary green screen that I assume is an HDMI handshaking issue. My older 3416 did not have any of these problems and, when working normally, seemed more stable than the 3400. I'm not sure about whether I should return the 3400 for another one. Any thoughts would be apreciated.
post #1192 of 4816 Old 01-12-2010, 07:34 AM

Liked: 18
I recently turned in an older Motorola HD-DVR because the hard-drive went bad, and got a new DCX3400 one in return. The box seems to navigate faster than the older box and I like the added features and menu options. However, I am consistently having the DCX3400 freeze up on me where the box stops accepting any remote commands (IR display light stays on) and my picture is frozen on whatever image was last shown.

This seems to mostly happen when I am watching a recorded show on a certain channel.
I will watch about 5 minutes of this standard def show recorded from Cartoon Network and almost every time the box will freeze up. I reset my HD-DVR and tried watching the same recording again to repeat the problem and sure enough at around the same time of the recording the HD-DVR locked up again.

Does this sound like a faulty hard-drive in the DCX3400? I have been able to watch entire recorded shows (SD and HD) without it freezing but for some weird reason it keeps freezing up with the show on that particular channel at that particular time of airing.

I've tried a 'power cycle' a few times but that doesn't fix it. Also, the box froze up once when I was swapping tuners, but that has only happened once since I picked it up 3 days ago.

HT: 60" Samsung UN60F7100, Infinity Primus 360 towers/152 rears/PC350 center, Elemental Designs A2-300 12" sub
Music: PSB Image 6 bookshelf pair, Yamaha R-S500 stereo receiver, Def Tech AW5500 outdoor speakers for patio
post #1193 of 4816 Old 01-12-2010, 07:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by maytime View Post

I recently turned in an older Motorola HD-DVR because the hard-drive went bad, and got a new DCX3400 one in return. The box seems to navigate faster than the older box and I like the added features and menu options. However, I am consistently having the DCX3400 freeze up on me where the box stops accepting any remote commands (IR display light stays on) and my picture is frozen on whatever image was last shown.

This seems to mostly happen when I am watching a recorded show on a certain channel.
I will watch about 5 minutes of this standard def show recorded from Cartoon Network and almost every time the box will freeze up. I reset my HD-DVR and tried watching the same recording again to repeat the problem and sure enough at around the same time of the recording the HD-DVR locked up again.

Does this sound like a faulty hard-drive in the DCX3400? I have been able to watch entire recorded shows (SD and HD) without it freezing but for some weird reason it keeps freezing up with the show on that particular channel at that particular time of airing.

I've tried a 'power cycle' a few times but that doesn't fix it. Also, the box froze up once when I was swapping tuners, but that has only happened once since I picked it up 3 days ago.

I had some problems with my DCX3400 when I first got it. I tried the same things you did, and considered returning the unit. After a week or so, however, the problems went away. I attributed this (perhaps magically so) to the unit having to take time to get all the guide and associated downloads, if any, correctly loaded. Anyway, I suggest you wait a few more days before returning the unit, to see if your problems clear up.
post #1194 of 4816 Old 01-12-2010, 08:18 AM

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by crossbeaux View Post

I had some problems with my DCX3400 when I first got it. I tried the same things you did, and considered returning the unit. After a week or so, however, the problems went away. I attributed this (perhaps magically so) to the unit having to take time to get all the guide and associated downloads, if any, correctly loaded. Anyway, I suggest you wait a few more days before returning the unit, to see if your problems clear up.

Thanks for the quick response. I first figured that since my box was brand new (still had the factory plastic covers on the display face) it needed to download some current firmware version to work smoothly. Of course when I asked the Comcast phone tech about needing a new possible firmware update she had no idea what I was talking about.

I'll be patient with the DCX for a while to see if these issues go away like you said they had for you. I'll just be careful not to watch recorded shows while important shows are recording in case it freezes up on me.

Is there any way to 'encourage' firmware updates to be sent to the DCX by maybe unplugging the power cord for 30 minutes? Or would I have to call Comcast and hope the service tech knows what he/she is actually doing to pass those along?

HT: 60" Samsung UN60F7100, Infinity Primus 360 towers/152 rears/PC350 center, Elemental Designs A2-300 12" sub
Music: PSB Image 6 bookshelf pair, Yamaha R-S500 stereo receiver, Def Tech AW5500 outdoor speakers for patio
post #1195 of 4816 Old 01-12-2010, 03:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maytime View Post

Is there any way to 'encourage' firmware updates to be sent to the DCX by maybe unplugging the power cord for 30 minutes? Or would I have to call Comcast and hope the service tech knows what he/she is actually doing to pass those along?

Sorry but no. The only way to get a newer firmware is by the cable co pushing one out to you & this happens automatically & generally in the middle of the night. The box is constantly talking to the system getting info & if it sees a newer version it will (and can only) happen by itself (with very rare exceptions).

Just my 2¢
Jon
post #1196 of 4816 Old 01-13-2010, 10:17 AM

Greetings,

I have a Motorola DCX3400 connected via HDMI to my Denon AVR-2310CI. How can I be sure that that my DCX3400 is passing the signal straight to the 2310CI without any processing? I'd like my 2310CI to do any and all upscaling before outputting to my television. Thanks.
post #1197 of 4816 Old 01-13-2010, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSperber View Post

I have a similar power on/off story with my Yamaha RX-V863. But it's clearly caused by the design of the receiver and its own remote.

There actually are TWO buttons on the Yamaha remote: (1) POWER, which turns the unit on from standby state, and (2) STANDBY, which places the unit into standby state from ON.

Yes, that seems to be what is happening. A StandBy function and an OFF function. Like you, I have had this point went with using the original receiver remote to turn it on. I have also implemented the volume lock now to have the receiver control volume.

But I wish I could turn on the receiver with the Comcast remote. :-(

Tim
post #1198 of 4816 Old 01-14-2010, 09:26 AM
AVS Special Member

The new guide updated on my DCX yesterday and I don't know if a software upgrade was included, but there are strange things happening and changes that I don't understand. I was watching a recorded show and and simply lost control of the box. No remote buttons worked, and the buttons on the box did not work, and the clock froze at the time it happened. It happened around 11:15, and at 11:25, the clock still read 11:15. Hard reboot was only solution. Also, ff/rw are acting strange. If I FF more then one click, once I stop, it plays about 30 seconds back of where I stopped. If I RW more then one click, it starts playing about 30 forward of where I stopped it. Both of these are issues that TIVO had, so maybe they are integrating TIVO into our DVRs now. As for the guide, they added the MyDVR button, but why rearrange the buttons that were already there? Why not leave them the same and add the new buttons at the bottom. Now the "Scheduled recordings" button is below the "My recordings" button instead of the the right of it. So, every time, out of habit, I select some other button when trying to access the "scheduled recordings" button.
post #1199 of 4816 Old 01-14-2010, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4mula1 View Post

The new guide updated on my DCX yesterday

Is the "new guide" still the TV Guide iGuide or the rumored J-Guide?
post #1200 of 4816 Old 01-14-2010, 10:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelmoxi View Post

Is the "new guide" still the TV Guide iGuide or the rumored J-Guide?

I did not take note. But, it does look exactly the same as before.
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page