Official AVS Motorola DCX series HD DVR Topic! - Page 43 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1261 of 4775 Old 01-22-2010, 11:55 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just picked a DCX3400. I haven't set it up yet, but is there anything I can do or check for first to make sure I don't run in to any issues; like update the firmware for example?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1262 of 4775 Old 01-22-2010, 12:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaPrime33 View Post

I just picked a DCX3400. I haven't set it up yet, but is there anything I can do or check for first to make sure I don't run in to any issues; like update the firmware for example?

No, you will get the latest firmware and software when Comcast releases it onto your system.

Yes, it is possible that your box could miss getting an update. I just unplug my box for 30 seconds or so once a month before going to bed at night so the box completely refreshes.
post #1263 of 4775 Old 01-23-2010, 08:31 AM

Liked: 11
I get horrible sound quality (very garbled and static sounds) when playing back a show that is the process of being recorded. (That is, I start recording something and begin playing it back before the recording is over). Once the recording is done, the audio playback becomes much better (not perfect but much better). Seems like the recording process is in some way interfering with the audio output on playback.

Has anyone else experienced this issue and if so, any suggestions?

The box is about 6 months old and service is through Comcast.
post #1264 of 4775 Old 01-23-2010, 10:02 AM

Is anyone else having problems with the new darker remote and the DCX3400? I keep getting the remote freezing especially when in the ON Demand menu. have to press the remote buttons several times to get the highlighted option to move. Is there a fix for this? Firmware problem?
post #1265 of 4775 Old 01-23-2010, 12:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FAiello View Post

Is anyone else having problems with the new darker remote and the DCX3400? I keep getting the remote freezing especially when in the ON Demand menu. have to press the remote buttons several times to get the highlighted option to move. Is there a fix for this? Firmware problem?

Most likely the issue with interference from the TV blocking remote signal. Try going into TV's menu & resetting the video options back to default & work from there. If it's a Sharp turn off the OPC setting.

Just my 2¢
Jon
post #1266 of 4775 Old 01-23-2010, 02:13 PM
km

I have a DCX3400 problem. It seems to only occur if there is a scheduled recording going on (tuner 2) and I select the same channel from tuner 1. It doesn't actually change tuner 1, it just shares tuner 2 with the output to the TV. That much is ok.

However, very often in this situation it starts stuttering. The foward, reverse controls work erratically. Sometimes it recovers, sometimes it doesn't. In the worst case the DVR controls don't effect the output at all (though the GUI responds).

The on/off switch doesn't restore it, but a power cycle that reloads the software does.

Again this seems to only occur when switching to a channel that is already being recorded by schedule. The firmware is A25.

Do you think this is a hardware problem, and I should get it swapped out?
This is my second DCX3400, the first one wouldn't even load the software.
post #1267 of 4775 Old 01-23-2010, 04:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Do any other Comcast customers know how to get this box to shut off after recording a show? When I want to record something while I'm away, or asleep, it comes on as it's supposed to to record, but fails to turn off when the recording is done. It is annoying because when I go to use my universal remote to turn everything else on, it turns it off...and I have to manually go turn it on again. Is there a setting somewhere?
post #1268 of 4775 Old 01-23-2010, 05:52 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeynavy1 View Post

Do any other Comcast customers know how to get this box to shut off after recording a show? When I want to record something while I'm away, or asleep, it comes on as it's supposed to to record, but fails to turn off when the recording is done.

Never heard of this before. It's certainly not how it's supposed to function.

Assuming you do not touch any button on the remote or face of the unit, completely self-initiated wake-from-standby to do a timer recording should be followed by return-to-standby when the recording is complete. Actually, the audio output will also be muted in this state (so as not to disturb you if you happen to have a connected audio system which you've left on).

Now if you touch anything on the remote during this mute/recording state, the audio will become un-muted and the unit now believes a person is using the box (and possibly watching TV on the other tuner while the timer recording is going on using the original tuner). This push-any-button action will also disable the automatic return-to-standby when the recording is over, instructing the unit to remain ON even after the timer recording completes.

So... if you're describing a completely unattended scenario where truly nothing performs an actual/equivalent button push on the remote (e.g. if your all-in-one remote perhaps does something to talk to the DVR, even though you didn't expect it), then the box should definitely go back to sleep after the mute/recording completes. If it doesn't, then it's mal-functioning.

But if there is anything at all that interacts with the DVR during this state, then (a) audio will become UN-MUTED, and (b) DVR will remain on after recording completes. This is the defined behavior of the unit.
post #1269 of 4775 Old 01-24-2010, 04:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:

Do any other Comcast customers know how to get this box to shut off after recording a show? When I want to record something while I'm away, or asleep, it comes on as it's supposed to to record, but fails to turn off when the recording is done. It is annoying because when I go to use my universal remote to turn everything else on, it turns it off...and I have to manually go turn it on again. Is there a setting somewhere?

Mine does not go back into the sleep mode after a scheduled recording either. Some people say to leave the DVR on all the time in order to make sure you do not miss any recordings. I don't know how much energy savings there is by turning it off (sleep mode) since the HDD is going all the time.

I have a Harmony universal remote & it can be programmed to NOT toggle the DVR's power off/on, so that's what I did. The setting for this was in the Harmony's setup screen.
post #1270 of 4775 Old 01-24-2010, 07:52 AM

Can't find the code for my "Home Theater in a Box". The whole section for them is missing from the dcx3400 remote codes manual.

My Sony DAV-C770 had a four digit code that worked with older Comcast box remotes, but doesn't work with the dcx3400. The four digit code was 1902. I've tried adding 0,1,2, and 3 before the four digits, but it won't work.

Is there any information on how I can get the "aux button" to control the dav-c770?
post #1271 of 4775 Old 01-24-2010, 08:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Are you sure it was off in the first place? In other words was it possibly recording something else when you turned the DVR & TV off in the evening after watching TV? If it was never off in the first place it wouldn't know to turn off after a later scheduled recording as it would still think you were watching it from the previous evening.

Just my 2¢
Jon
post #1272 of 4775 Old 01-24-2010, 08:29 PM

I'm having an issues with the video flickering, and going black during fast forward. Anyone know of a fix for this? My service is with Cox, and the model is a DCH 3400-M
post #1273 of 4775 Old 01-25-2010, 01:04 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike99 View Post

Mine does not go back into the sleep mode after a scheduled recording either.

Sorry... this is simply not proper behavior for the box. Never has been on earlier models of the product family, nor is it the correct behavior on this model. It is simply not the way unattended timer recordings are supposed to function.

If the unit is OFF to begin with, and a timer event triggers, the box will wake up (in audio-MUTE state). I believe it will always be the background tuner which will be activated for the recording (red REC light showing on display of the box), unless you have two recordings scheduled for the same time in which case both tuners will fire up (and you'll have both red REC showing for the background tuner as well as "REC" showing on the main display for the foreground tuner).

When the recording(s) is/are complete it will go back to sleep. This is absolutely the design. My DCX3400 here in TWC/LA (22.37) recorded six Sunday shows today completely unattended... it was off when this day started and it is off now that this day is ended, and all Sunday shows are recorded just as they should be. This is always how it performs. I leave my DVR powered off whenever I'm not watching something, and it always records everything I've pre-scheduled and it never remains on after the final recording is completed. It always returns to sleep.

The only thing which will change this design is if you touch a button on the remote that "talks" to the DVR while the unattended timer event recording is taking place... like for example swapping tuners so that you can watch a live channel (say, two recordings were going, and the background tuner finished first, and you want to let the foreground tuner recording continue but you want to watch something live using the background tuner... thus reversing "foreground" and "background"), or maybe pushing your "MyDVR" button to watch a recording from your list, or touching anything to un-mute and get audio so you can hear the show that's currently being recorded, etc..

For any of these remote button actions of any kind that serve to tell the DVR that a human being is present, the DVR will now (a) un-MUTE, and (b) prevent the going back to sleep of the box when the current recording(s) is complete. Otherwise, in the absence of a human-indicator via button push that go-to-sleep-when-done is NOT the appropriate action when the final recording completes, the box should return to off/sleep state when the timer recording events complete.

If it doesn't, then something's not working correctly with your DVR.
post #1274 of 4775 Old 01-25-2010, 01:20 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike99 View Post

Mine does not go back into the sleep mode after a scheduled recording either. Some people say to leave the DVR on all the time in order to make sure you do not miss any recordings. I don't know how much energy savings there is by turning it off (sleep mode) since the HDD is going all the time.

As far as I know, the chip in the DCX3400 has no support for power management. The only way to save some power on past Motorola DVRs was to spin down the hard drive, and that 'feature' was only available with certain DVR software.

If you measure "on" and "sleep" consumption with a DCX on Comcast, I suspect electricity use will be within 2 watts.
post #1275 of 4775 Old 01-25-2010, 05:19 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 17
i thought it was best to leave these cats running so as to get updates, hits, etc.. whatever the headend wanted to send to you.. DSPERB/others, do you recommend the box stays OFF when not watching?opinions matter here.. thanks in advance...
post #1276 of 4775 Old 01-25-2010, 05:50 AM

I have the same problem when recording from a scheduled time when the box had been previously off. It will turn on and record as it should, but when it's done, it stops recording but doesn't turn off. I have this happen on both by DCH and the new DCX I got a couple of days ago.

This happens also if the box had been on when the recording started but then got shut off. When the recording is done, the box still stays on. Though this may be different.
post #1277 of 4775 Old 01-25-2010, 06:42 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by marctronixx View Post

i thought it was best to leave these cats running so as to get updates, hits, etc.. whatever the headend wanted to send to you..

The box is ALWAYS on, as far as the headend is concerned... as long as your coax is connected and as long as it's plugged into the wall. Doesn't matter if it's in sleep/standby state or actually "on".

The only functional difference, as far as I see it, is that when off it is not buffering anything from the two tuners to hard drive (for its 30-minute buffers). When on, it is constantly buffering to hard drive to provide you a max 30-minute "rewind" capability. This doesn't mean the hard drive is not still spinning when the box is "off", it just means there's nothing being written to it by the tuner/buffer logic when in that state... so you are benefiting from a small amount less "wear and tear" on the drive I would suppose, and slightly less electricity is being used.

In all cases, whether on of off, (a) the hard drive is always spinning, and (b) the box is always addressable by the headend to receive all Guide updates, any software updates and/or re-boot command and/or "emergency broadcast test" interactions, etc. Also, timer recordings will always be made, no matter whether the box is in off/standby or on.

Quote:

DSPERB/others, do you recommend the box stays OFF when not watching?

My own personal habit is to turn all electronic equipment off when not in use. Saves electricity (and thus money as well as the planet), and presumably saves mechanical wear and tear as internal fans and hard drives and any other moving parts are generally not used when the device is in standby, and zero-to-minimal heat is generated in this state so presumably even solid-state components should last longer. I can see no downside in being "green" in this way.

I put my computers in "hibernate" when I'm not going to use them, for the same reason. But in this case there is DEFINITELY significant electricity/planet saved. each of my two computers use about 300-340 watts each when powered on (as measured by their UPS). If I left them on all the time that is significant electrical usage and cost over the course of a month.

But that's just me.
post #1278 of 4775 Old 01-25-2010, 08:47 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 17
DSPERB, thx for the info. good information!!!
post #1279 of 4775 Old 01-25-2010, 11:41 AM

Quote:

Okay this problem has been fixed by sending a signal from the office to reset the box. Now the problem I have is I can not get 5.1 audio from the box with my optical cable I only get stero even though the channel info says 5.1.
post #1280 of 4775 Old 01-25-2010, 04:59 PM

Quote:

Okay this problem has been fixed by sending a signal from the office to reset the box. Now the problem I have is I can not get 5.1 audio from the box with my optical cable I only get stero even though the channel info says 5.1.

Replaced box now fixed.
post #1281 of 4775 Old 01-25-2010, 08:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSperber View Post

The only functional difference, as far as I see it, is that when off it is not buffering anything from the two tuners to hard drive (for its 30-minute buffers). When on, it is constantly buffering to hard drive to provide you a max 30-minute "rewind" capability.

Not familiar with the DCX series, but with the DCT series, it is about 20m buffer for HD, but over one hour buffer for SD, with my Comcast 6412.

Also may not apply to DCX series, but the 34xx and 64xx DCTs had various problems that did not arise, if the box was left on. And, various posters claimed that energy savings was negligible when off, since the HDD still spins.
post #1282 of 4775 Old 01-25-2010, 10:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbawc View Post

Not familiar with the DCX series, but with the DCT series, it is about 20m buffer for HD, but over one hour buffer for SD, with my Comcast 6412.

Also may not apply to DCX series, but the 34xx and 64xx DCTs had various problems that did not arise, if the box was left on. And, various posters claimed that energy savings was negligible when off, since the HDD still spins.

I think the buffer is a fixed amount (or ratio) of hard disk space. So there's a lot more space for SD content than HD content. And you're right, there were a lot of problems with DCTs that didn't happen if you just left the box on all the time. Since I've been trained with the old DCT boxes, I continue to leave my DCX on all the time.
post #1283 of 4775 Old 01-26-2010, 07:21 AM

Quote:

In all cases, whether on of off, (a) the hard drive is always spinning, and (b) the box is always addressable by the headend to receive all Guide updates, any software updates and/or re-boot command and/or "emergency broadcast test" interactions, etc. Also, timer recordings will always be made, no matter whether the box is in off/standby or on.

I am actually having a problem with my box recording timer recordings if it is left on. If I turn the box off, it seems to have almost a 100% record recording timer recordings. If I leave the box on, that percentage goes to probably 25% or less. Sometimes, it looks like it is recording (IE the red record light), but when you check the list, the recording is not there. Anyone have an issue like this? It is frustrating, because it used to be the opposite for me. I use to have to leave the box on for it to record any timer recordings!
post #1284 of 4775 Old 01-26-2010, 10:14 AM

Can the AC Outlet on the back of this box control power for another machine? I plugged my AV unit into the AC outlet and set the DCX's menu option to "switched", but the AV unit doesn't turn off when I turn the DCX off.

Any advice is appreciated
post #1285 of 4775 Old 01-26-2010, 10:35 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 14
Not sure which model I have, but the software just got updated (now recorded shows are grouped in folders), but since then I run into issues where the screen and sound go black and silent for about 1 second or two, then the program resumes. Its kind of annoying.

Also, it seems to be having trouble remembering to record 24, and I have been manually adding the show each week.

Was fine before. We are on Comcast, and they are soon shutting off the analogs, although we almost only watch HD which is digital.
post #1286 of 4775 Old 01-26-2010, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4mula1 View Post

Sometimes, the boxes reset themselves. Try turning off the dvr, then immediately click on Menu on the remote. That will bring up the settings and you can change it back to 16:9, 720P, and Stretch. However, if you get a DCX, you no longer have to stretch the picture. Selecting native (new to the DCX) will allow the DVR to adjust between HD and SD.

Yeah we tried everything to remedy this situation and nothing. So this DCX is the newer model DVR? Does it matter where you live? My Comcast location is in Willingboro, NJ. I will have to call Comcast to see if my location has them.

Is the DCX a good DVR? From some of the post I read here I do not get that impression. The DCH I had was working just fine until Comcast did this update.

Thanks for responding
post #1287 of 4775 Old 01-26-2010, 02:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by playahataz View Post

Can the AC Outlet on the back of this box control power for another machine? I plugged my AV unit into the AC outlet and set the DCX's menu option to "switched", but the AV unit doesn't turn off when I turn the DCX off.

Any advice is appreciated

The DCX, DCH & some of the DCT model DVRs' AC outlet cannot be switched. Yes the option is in the guide but the box is not capable of switching it. Look carefully at the outlet itself, it should say 'unswitched' next to it. Sorry there's no way around it.

Just my 2¢
Jon
post #1288 of 4775 Old 01-26-2010, 04:15 PM

Quote:

That's 320GB, not 350GB.

In addition to "fixed resolution" option, DCX also supports "native" resolution (i.e. 720p or 1080i out to HDTV automatically based on program content). DCH only has "fixed" resolution of 720p or 1080i (although you can obviously manually change the output on demand if you want to, to match the program content).

Does that mean if watching ABC HD which is 720p, the output will be 720P, whereas, if I am watching CBS which is a 1080i channel the output will be 1080i?

Even though in wrong forum, further if my TV has a native resolution (I think I am saying this correctly) of 1080p, that both programs will get rescaled by my TV to be 1080p output?
post #1289 of 4775 Old 01-26-2010, 08:14 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCT6416UIIIuser View Post

Does that mean if watching ABC HD which is 720p, the output will be 720P, whereas, if I am watching CBS which is a 1080i channel the output will be 1080i?

Yes. Assuming you have both the 720p-acceptable and 1080i-acceptable boxes checked in the "native" setup of the DCX (indicating that your HDTV can accept both 720p and 1080i) then whatever the native resolution of the source program you're tuned to is exactly what will be sent to your HDTV... either 720p or 1080i.

Quote:

Even though in wrong forum, further if my TV has a native resolution (I think I am saying this correctly) of 1080p, that both programs will get rescaled by my TV to be 1080p output?

No. 1080p is not a resolution that the DCX upscales to. 1080p, which is supported by the DCX, is simply a "pass-through" resolution so that if there is content available which is 1080p and your HDTV supports 1080p then that 1080p content will be sent to your HDTV as "native 1080p".

However there is currently no content provided over cable (that I know of, or at least not with TWC/LA) that is native 1080p, so this really is just "available for possible future use" to pass-through 1080p source programs should they one day become available.

So "native" on the DCX really only refers to 720p and 1080i, which are the two resolutions which will be sent to your HDTV for currently available cable/OTA/premium channels. There is no upconverting to 1080p by the DCX under any situation.
post #1290 of 4775 Old 01-27-2010, 06:57 AM

Quote:

So "native" on the DCX really only refers to 720p and 1080i, which are the two resolutions which will be sent to your HDTV for currently available cable/OTA/premium channels. There is no upconverting to 1080p by the DCX under any situation.

He was asking if the native resolution of the input would be upscaled to 1080p by his TV - which it will.
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page