Official AVS Motorola DCX series HD DVR Topic! - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 4780 Old 07-08-2009, 11:24 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Just got the dcx 3400 in Portland, OR today. Immediately came upon the skip/mute problem. I programmed the Aux to perform like the old remote and everything works fine in Aux mode. But I'm a bit confused how to add the functions 30-sec skip and mute in Cable mode. The instructions including pressing cable and triangle don't seem to cause any double flash. Perhaps I did something wrong or don't understand something??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 4780 Old 07-08-2009, 11:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 20
My local Comcast office said the DCX3400 requires Docsis 2.0 and our service area is not upgraded to that protocol yet. I thought that was just an internet standard but I was told it is a bandwidth measure that affects digital TV transmission also. Presumably others in smaller markets like mine are likewise operating under that handicap and the DCX will not be available to us until the upgrade, which may take a while.

"The truth is out there!"
post #183 of 4780 Old 07-08-2009, 12:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm bummed that the DCX3400 spec sheet states that it is nearly 1/2" taller (3.2" vs 2.75") than my trouble-free DCT3412 of these last 3 years.

Does the DCX3400 have a red recording indicator light?
post #184 of 4780 Old 07-08-2009, 12:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by George-O View Post

I'm bummed that the DCX3400 spec sheet states that it is nearly 1/2" taller (3.2" vs 2.75") than my trouble-free DCT3412 of these last 3 years.

Does the DCX3400 have a red recording indicator light?

Mine has a red recording indicator light.
post #185 of 4780 Old 07-08-2009, 12:52 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
i can confirm it is a half inch taller than the DCT's and DCH's (it just barely fit in the same place i had the old ones), the front-panel LED's are all much brighter than the DCH (and maybe a little brighter than the DCT's, although those were yellow and the power LED was red not an intense blue) and i haven't heard of any way to make them less bright, and there is a red recording light that comes on when you are watching the other tuner (if you are watching the same tuner you are recording, the red light is not on and the display reads REC just like any other motorola DVR).
post #186 of 4780 Old 07-08-2009, 01:32 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by stretch437 View Post

... the front-panel LED's are all much brighter than the DCH (and maybe a little brighter than the DCT's, although those were yellow and the power LED was red not an intense blue) and i haven't heard of any way to make them less bright, ...

It's easy to tape a piece of dark cellophane to the front panel.
post #187 of 4780 Old 07-08-2009, 06:16 PM

Ok, I've read through most of the posts, so if this questions seems a bit junior, I apologize. Just picked up my new DCX-3400s today (in Denver). So far, love the boxes. Question though. I have one of them running through my Onkyo receiver that is capable of outputting 1080p natively (not pass-through), and I see the options checked in the setup, but I cannot get the box to upconvert to 1080p. Will these boxes not upconvert while we wait for native programming? If so, am I missing something? Thanks folks.

BTW, these boxes are much nicer. The guide seems much faster, the picture looks much crisper, and I love that I can set it to Native.
post #188 of 4780 Old 07-08-2009, 09:54 PM
Advanced Member

sounds like there is a legitimate question in there somewhere but i'm not sure what you're asking.

i think it may be related to the difference between 1080p60 vs 1080p24 or 1080p30. the DCX may not support 1080p60, if that's what you're aiming for.

on page 1 of the manual ( see http://www.motorola.com/staticfiles/...df?localeId=33 ) it says 24 and 30 are supported. 60 is not mentioned. note 60 requires much higher bandwidth.
post #189 of 4780 Old 07-08-2009, 10:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by libracolo View Post

Ok, I've read through most of the posts, so if this questions seems a bit junior, I apologize. Just picked up my new DCX-3400s today (in Denver). So far, love the boxes. Question though. I have one of them running through my Onkyo receiver that is capable of outputting 1080p natively (not pass-through), and I see the options checked in the setup, but I cannot get the box to upconvert to 1080p. Will these boxes not upconvert while we wait for native programming? If so, am I missing something? Thanks folks.

The DCX does not have the hardware necessary to support 1080p60 output. In fact, none of the DVR SoC (CPU) solutions currently on the market support 1080p60 output. The first such solution is expected late this year or early next, and will will probably be a feature of the DVR generation that follows the DCX.

The DCX does support 1080p24 and 1080p30 output, which some cable companies may offer through PPV / VOD at some point. Of course, you would need to have a fairly recent TV that supports 1080p24 input. Most televisions sold prior to 2008 only support 1080p60.
post #190 of 4780 Old 07-08-2009, 10:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by millerwill View Post

It's easy to tape a piece of dark cellophane to the front panel.

easy if you happen to have some dark cellophane lying around

but seriously my box came from the office with that super-thin scratch-protecting layer of vinyl-ish plastic that almost all electronic devices seem to come with these days (and that many clueless people seem to never notice or remove) still attached. i may just take a black felt-tip 'sharpie' pen and black out the whole thing, knowing that if it doesn't work i can just peel off the plastic and throw it away like the consumer is expected to do anyway.
post #191 of 4780 Old 07-09-2009, 12:40 AM

SO I traded my DCX 3400 for an older DCH/DCT 3416. Bummed that I had to do that but I only had HDMI available on the TV and with that I would get a green screen about 20 seconds after power on of the DCX 3400. Anyway, looking forward to the fix being rolled out in norcal for the DCX 3400.
post #192 of 4780 Old 07-09-2009, 01:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by libracolo View Post

BTW, these boxes are much nicer. The guide seems much faster, the picture looks much crisper, and I love that I can set it to Native.

Page 33 of the User Guide I downloaded states that the DCX3400 cannot convert any other broadcast format to either 1080p24 or 1080p30. It appears that those will only be good if the cable company provides some programming natively in those formats.
post #193 of 4780 Old 07-09-2009, 01:59 PM
Advanced Member

After one day with the DCX3400, I've experienced big problems. After getting most of the guide loaded last night, I set up about 15 series recordings and several individual recordings. Late this morning, when turned on the TV, the DVR was stuck on one channel. The Guide would not come up, the menu would not come up, the DVR listings would not come up, and I couldn't change the channel. After doing all of what I considered the normal things, turning off and on, powering off and waiting a while, hitting a lot of buttons, no change. The box would acknowledge the IR signal with a flash of light on the front panel, but would not perform any command. Actually, one thing did happen. If I pressed the info button, the parental control setup menu (with the gray screen) came up. Weird.

A call to Comcast, and they tried the usual stuff, basically sending a reset signal. That took several minutes to take. The box finally reset, and I could now change channels, but nothing else (no guide, no menu, etc.) While the CS went to ask his supervisor for help, the box reset on its own. I thought the CS did it, but he denied it. Then we went into the basic setup menu (the one acessed by turning the unit off and then pressing menu). Everything looked normal (1080i, 480i, etc.) When I pressed the menu button again, the box seemed to go totally dark, then seemed to reset. At this point, I could finally access all the menus. The CS was as in the dark about what happened, why it didn't work and why it started working again. I am just waiting to see if what happened was a one-time, new box glitch or a more serious problem.

I don't know if any of you have experienced any of this. If so, any advice? Otherwise, if it happens to you, try going to the poweroff/menu menu and then exiting, to see if that helps.
post #194 of 4780 Old 07-09-2009, 02:45 PM
Advanced Member

After talking with a Comcast tech that is also a member of the same gym I visit, he suggested waiting until this Fall before trading in my "trouble-free" DCT-3412 .... there are some FW bugs still being ironed out on the DCX units.
post #195 of 4780 Old 07-09-2009, 08:58 PM
R11
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by George-O View Post

After talking with a Comcast tech that is also a member of the same gym I visit, he suggested waiting until this Fall before trading in my "trouble-free" DCT-3412 .... there are some FW bugs still being ironed out on the DCX units.

That thought occurred to me last night. I started thinking about it and this time of year I really don't record much of anything anyway and my current DCT has been (knock on wood) completely trouble free besides the random lagginess. I can't even remember the last time I reset it but it's been a long time... A faster guide and DVR transport would be nice but not at the price of PIA issues. Now I'm torn... I'd kinda like to roll the dice anyway . The 30 second skip thing is a non-issue to me since it's already been taught to the URC remote I use. Hmmmm.

ron
post #196 of 4780 Old 07-09-2009, 09:41 PM
Advanced Member

Larger hard disk vs. crashing and burning. Tonight after getting my DCX3400 back and running, I recorded and watched 11 minutes of Burn Notice. Then, despite it saying it had the entire episode, refused to go past that point when playing. I fast forwarded, skipped, tried to start again from the beginning. All to no avail. Luckily, Burn Notice airs about 12 times a week, so I should get it again.

But, if my unit is typical, what kind of testing do they do with these units before releasing them? In my past life, I would have been fired for releasing something this buggy.
post #197 of 4780 Old 07-10-2009, 10:33 AM
R11
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by crossbeaux View Post

Larger hard disk vs. crashing and burning. Tonight after getting my DCX3400 back and running, I recorded and watched 11 minutes of Burn Notice. Then, despite it saying it had the entire episode, refused to go past that point when playing. I fast forwarded, skipped, tried to start again from the beginning. All to no avail. Luckily, Burn Notice airs about 12 times a week, so I should get it again.

But, if my unit is typical, what kind of testing do they do with these units before releasing them? In my past life, I would have been fired for releasing something this buggy.

I think you should take that unit back crossbeaux. It doesn't seem like others are experiencing the same type of issues you are.

ron
post #198 of 4780 Old 07-10-2009, 11:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by R11 View Post

I think you should take that unit back crossbeaux. It doesn't seem like others are experiencing the same type of issues you are.

ron

Thanks. It's good to hear that others aren't having problems. I'm going to give this one a couple of days to see if it settles down. If not, back to the shop.
post #199 of 4780 Old 07-11-2009, 08:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crossbeaux View Post

A call to Comcast, and they tried the usual stuff, basically sending a reset signal. That took several minutes to take. The box finally reset, and I could now change channels, but nothing else (no guide, no menu, etc.) While the CS went to ask his supervisor for help, the box reset on its own. I thought the CS did it, but he denied it. Then we went into the basic setup menu (the one acessed by turning the unit off and then pressing menu). Everything looked normal (1080i, 480i, etc.) When I pressed the menu button again, the box seemed to go totally dark, then seemed to reset. At this point, I could finally access all the menus. The CS was as in the dark about what happened, why it didn't work and why it started working again. I am just waiting to see if what happened was a one-time, new box glitch or a more serious problem.

Some areas had firmware updates this past week causing what you went through. From the sounds of it your box just didn't take it right the first time & that's why you lost all the on screen info. If you had power cycled it (pulled the plug) and let it sit for 15-30 minutes it most likely would've taken care of it for you. CSR sending initialization hit to box basically did same thing as pulling plug for you. Firmware update should've been to fix HDMI issue.

Just my 2¢
Jon
post #200 of 4780 Old 07-11-2009, 05:51 PM

Anyone have a clue what the blinking arrows under the home icon may mean? I'm talking about the icons on the front panel. Now I no longer have the home icon. How 'bout a more in depth manual?
post #201 of 4780 Old 07-14-2009, 11:19 AM

Is anyone using an IR repeater with a DCX model. I am having trouble getting the box to recognize these signals, even at lowest output on my MRF-300.
post #202 of 4780 Old 07-14-2009, 11:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by denali206 View Post

Anyone have a clue what the blinking arrows under the home icon may mean? I'm talking about the icons on the front panel. Now I no longer have the home icon. How 'bout a more in depth manual?

http://www.motorola.com/staticfiles/...df?localeId=33
post #203 of 4780 Old 07-14-2009, 07:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 57
So I was going to pick one of these up in a couple days to replace my trouble free (so far) DCH3416. The possible HDMI issues are keeping me from doing that. Has a fix officially hit the market (I'm in the greater SLC UT area). It would be a shane to loose my current unit and get into a situation that won't work. I run my Moto through my Denon AVR-1909 receiver which does true pass-thru, however it does flip out and have minor HDMI handshake issues from time to time to my Sammy DLP TV that did not occur as often when it was connected direct to the TV. I really want to keep it HDMI to the receiver if at all possible (makes the audio set-up that much nicer and easier). Also a side note. The 3400 is supposed to support Dolby Digital + anyone actually able to get that to work. I heard rumor that some HD content is now broadcast in DD+ and of course you will only get that through HDMI as far as I know that was never implemented in SPDIF, though it has a high enough data stream speed to pull that off.

Anyone running these puppies through a pre-2010 model Denon AVR trouble free (before/after recent possible fw upgrades from moto/comcast)?
post #204 of 4780 Old 07-14-2009, 08:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by denali206 View Post

Quote:

um is this URL supposed to lead the OP to RTFM and thereby answer his own question? because searching that document for any of the terms "blink" , "arrow", or "home icon" will return "no matches were found". could someone throw us a bone and indicate exactly which page of that manual contains the answer to his question?

granted, i couldn't actually *understand* his question, but i understood the "answer" even less.
post #205 of 4780 Old 07-15-2009, 06:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by stretch437 View Post

um is this URL supposed to lead the OP to RTFM and thereby answer his own question? because searching that document for any of the terms "blink" , "arrow", or "home icon" will return "no matches were found". could someone throw us a bone and indicate exactly which page of that manual contains the answer to his question?

granted, i couldn't actually *understand* his question, but i understood the "answer" even less.

um no. He asked for a more in depth manual. I provided a link to a manual. I don't know if it is any better than what he already has.
post #206 of 4780 Old 07-16-2009, 06:42 PM

Does anyones Rec2 light work? I noticed there is 2 lights for it but even why I have 2 shows rec at the same time, only rec1 light will come on. That would be really nice if they both lit up so I knew both tuners were busy.
post #207 of 4780 Old 07-16-2009, 07:49 PM

If you have a red light on and the display reads "rec", then both tuners are recording.

Larry
post #208 of 4780 Old 07-16-2009, 10:33 PM

I just got an HDTV, and today traded in my old non-HD box for an HD DVR (while I deal with all the upgrades needed to record HD on my existing HTPC) and wound up with the DCX3400. One quick question based on a day's worth of playing with it:

How do you tell it that you've seen an episode? I added a bunch of series recordings, and marked them all to only record new episodes. The DVR immediately scheduled recordings of the most recent episodes, and sometimes slightly older ones, but that all makes sense since they're fairly new. After they were recorded, I tried to figure out how to mark them as watched, and couldn't. I deleted one, and it rescheduled it to be recorded later. For another show I fast-forwarded all the way through so it would realize it had been watched and then deleted it, but it still wanted to record it again.

I haven't been able to figure out how to convince it that I've really watched these episodes so it doesn't keep recording them over and over again after I delete them. Any tips?

It also seems like the HDMI fails periodically when switching modes. Once it happened when switching to On Demand, and once when starting playback of a recorded show. The display goes blank, and I have to exit what I was doing to get it to come back. In both cases, going back in and trying the same thing a second time worked. Has anyone else seen something similar? This isn't a green screen, and doesn't require the box to be turned off.

I'm overall happy, though. The interface is so much faster than my old box, and so far I haven't had any loud bursts of digital noise while pausing or resuming On Demand content like in the past. It's also very nice to finally get digital audio outputs (not to mention HD, of course...)
post #209 of 4780 Old 07-16-2009, 10:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herschel View Post

I haven't been able to figure out how to convince it that I've really watched these episodes so it doesn't keep recording them over and over again after I delete them. Any tips?

Comcast's iGuide software does not keep track of the programs you've recorded and deleted. Only TiVo does that, as far as I know.
post #210 of 4780 Old 07-17-2009, 02:05 AM

I believe that TiVo has an exclusive patent on that.
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page