Official AVS Motorola DCX series HD DVR Topic! - Page 97 - AVS Forum

AVS Forum > HDTV > HDTV Recorders > Official AVS Motorola DCX series HD DVR Topic!

HDTV Recorders

jameskollar's Avatar jameskollar
08:01 PM Liked: 10
post #2881 of 4842
01-04-2011 | Posts: 1,969
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingdvd View Post

How can you tell if you have a 3400M box versus a regular 3400? Is it on the label on the bottom of the unit like that?

I've been thinking about turning in some of my older boxes for the 3400 to get the larger hard drive but if newer boxes will be out soon I don't want to bother yet...

It will have label in the front in the lower left hand corner next to the USB port that says "DCX3400-M". Nice box BTW. Nothing recorded yet so I don't know how well the Multi room works but the menus for it are very intuitive. Requires a truck roll to install multiroom since a filter must be put on the lines to prevent the Moca signal from broadcasting beyond your in house coax.
lovingdvd's Avatar lovingdvd
08:10 PM Liked: 73
post #2882 of 4842
01-04-2011 | Posts: 9,085
Quote:
Originally Posted by jameskollar View Post

It will have label in the front in the lower left hand corner next to the USB port that says "DCX3400-M". Nice box BTW. Nothing recorded yet so I don't know how well the Multi room works but the menus for it are very intuitive. Requires a truck roll to install multiroom since a filter must be put on the lines to prevent the Moca signal from broadcasting beyond your in house coax.

Ah, I didn't realize Comcast needs to come out for this. Has anyone reported on how well the multi room functionality works?

Does each box still act like its own full DVR where you can pause/record anything on any box, but then also watch it from any other DVR? Or is it like FIOS where some boxes are "dummies" (without a hard drive) and you cannot pause live TV on them etc?

Also are all the M boxes 500GB like the latest DCX3400 boxes or is there a chance they'd deliver lower capacity M boxes?
crosseye's Avatar crosseye
08:14 PM Liked: 10
post #2883 of 4842
01-04-2011 | Posts: 7
Are all the companies disabling the ethernet so you can't hook another device to the 3200M and get it on your network, or is Charter just being stupid?
George-O's Avatar George-O
08:58 PM Liked: 11
post #2884 of 4842
01-04-2011 | Posts: 695
Quote:

Ah, I didn't realize Comcast needs to come out for this. Has anyone reported on how well the multi room functionality works?

Does each box still act like its own full DVR where you can pause/record anything on any box, but then also watch it from any other DVR? Or is it like FIOS where some boxes are "dummies" (without a hard drive) and you cannot pause live TV on them etc?

Also are all the M boxes 500GB like the latest DCX3400 boxes or is there a chance they'd deliver lower capacity M boxes?

Each Comcast Anyroom satellite box is a dummy box with no hard drive (up to 3) but otherwise they can do everything the host DCX3400-M can do EXCEPT:

1. Initiate or erase a recording on the Host DVR;

2. You can not pause live TV on them.

Other than that, you can pause/FF/Go back etc just like the host DVR while watching recorded material. You can also access On-Demand content which can be paused or FF (2X max) or reversed (2X max) or 5 minute jumped Forward or Reversed ... no 30 seconds skip forward or 15 seconds back on the satellite boxes while watching On-Demand (but this also holds true for the Host DVR when watching On-Demand).

The M boxes are identical to the non-M boxes in both looks and performance (except they can communicate with the satellite boxes).

For Comcast they started out using 500GB hard drives for the M boxes but reports are starting to come in from some markets that Comcast will hand out 500GB M boxes (if they have them available) to non-AnyRoom subscribers. In that case, the box operates just like the regular DCX3400 with the smaller 340GB hard drive (except it has a 500GB capacity).

Rumor has it the AnyRoom DCX M boxes will be coming with 750GB or 1TB hard drives to a Comcast service area near you within the next few months.
millerwill's Avatar millerwill
09:23 PM Liked: 47
post #2885 of 4842
01-04-2011 | Posts: 11,444
Quote:
Originally Posted by George-O View Post

Each Comcast Anyroom satellite box is a dummy box with no hard drive (up to 3) but otherwise they can do everything the host DCX3400-M can do EXCEPT:

2. You can not pause live TV on them.

Other than that, you can pause/FF/Go back etc just like the host DVR while watching recorded material. You can also access On-Demand content which can be paused or FF (2X max) or reversed (2X max) or 5 minute jumped Forward or Reversed ... no 30 seconds skip forward or 15 seconds back on the satellite boxes while watching On-Demand (but this also holds true for the Host DVR when watching On-Demand).

The M boxes are identical to the non-M boxes in both looks and performance (except they can communicate with the satellite boxes).

For Comcast they started out using 500GB hard drives for the M boxes but reports are starting to come in from some markets that Comcast will hand out 500GB M boxes (if they have them available) to non-AnyRoom subscribers. In that case, the box operates just like the regular DCX3400 with the smaller 340GB hard drive (except it has a 500GB capacity).

Rumor has it the AnyRoom DCX M boxes will be coming with 750GB or 1TB hard drives to a Comcast service area near you within the next few months.

How can one find out anything about the pricing for this? The CC website is unbelievably uninformative; it's all just one big ad, w/o telling you anything specific.
10:14 PM Liked: 73
post #2886 of 4842
01-04-2011 | Posts: 9,085
Quote:

2. You can not pause live TV on them...

Not being able to pause live TV is a deal breaker for me. So therefore I would never go with a dummy box.

Is it possible to fill the house with all M boxes that are fully functional DVRs locally (with pause etc) but also have the ability to watching something on one DVR from another room (again, only with using fully functional boxes)?
11:03 PM Liked: 11
post #2887 of 4842
Quote:

Is it possible to fill the house with all M boxes that are fully functional DVRs locally (with pause etc) but also have the ability to watching something on one DVR from another room (again, only with using fully functional boxes)?

Not with Comcast.
11:10 PM Liked: 11
post #2888 of 4842
Quote:

Not being able to pause live TV is a deal breaker for me. So therefore I would never go with a dummy box.

It added about $5.00/mo for me with one satellite HD box, however I already had one HDTV DVR on my main HDTV plus one SD box non-DVR STB on a 36" SD older Sony .... but I'm all set and ready to go for that new replacement 60" 3D Backlight LED HDTV later this year to replace the older SD Sony with no additional cost from Comcast.

You basically need to visit a Comcast office to fully get the best deal ..... online or over the phone is just too confusing, IMO.
02:52 PM Liked: 73
post #2889 of 4842
01-05-2011 | Posts: 9,085
Are people really willing to give up the ability to pause live TV?
mikemav's Avatar mikemav
04:01 PM Liked: 11
post #2890 of 4842
01-05-2011 | Posts: 1,121
Quote:

Are people really willing to give up the ability to pause live TV?

Yeah, I checked into it and that was a deal breaker for me too. Is there a work-around? Like, if you're watching on a remote tuner (not the DVR), to replace the missing pause feature, can you initiate a recording on the fly on the DVR of what you're watching from the remote tuner? Say I'm watching football on the non-DVR; if I have to take a call, can I hit record at least, so later I can go back and watch it recorded on the DVR (using FFWD to get to the point where I left off?)
04:16 PM Liked: 11
post #2891 of 4842
01-05-2011 | Posts: 695
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemav View Post

Yeah, I checked into it and that was a deal breaker for me too. Is there a wor-around? Like, if you're watching on a remote tuner (not the DVR), to replace the missing pause feature, can you initiate a recording on the fly on the DVR from the remote tuner box? Say I'm watching football on the non-DVR; if I have to take a call, can I hit record at least, so later I can go back and watch the recording (using FFWD to get to the point where I left off?)

Sorry ... You can not initiate a recording from the satellite units ..... hitting the record button on them simply programs that unit to simply change channels at the appropriate time so an attached VCR etc can record from it's RF output. I agree that being able to pause live TV or even jump back 15 or 30 seconds to replay what was just said in the news, or more importantly to catch some hot babe in a beer commercial that flashed by is pretty darn useful.
jonwww's Avatar jonwww
05:53 PM Liked: 10
post #2892 of 4842
01-05-2011 | Posts: 734
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemav View Post

Yeah, I checked into it and that was a deal breaker for me too. Is there a work-around? Like, if you're watching on a remote tuner (not the DVR), to replace the missing pause feature, can you initiate a recording on the fly on the DVR of what you're watching from the remote tuner? Say I'm watching football on the non-DVR; if I have to take a call, can I hit record at least, so later I can go back and watch it recorded on the DVR (using FFWD to get to the point where I left off?)

No you can't initiate this from the remote terminal box. However you can now get an app from Comcast for several smart phones that allow you to control the DVR; set recordings, change channels, etc. You can also schedule your shows from most computers via the webpage.

The pausing of live TV isn't a big deal for me as I record nearly all my shows so I can skip commercials anyway. The deal breaker for me is that as of now you can only record 2 shows. This should hopefully change later this year when they release a newer box that has the capability to record 4 shows.
06:03 PM Liked: 11
post #2893 of 4842
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonwww View Post

........ I record nearly all my shows so I can skip commercials anyway.

I'll bet the majority of us are doing that or at least watching "backed-up" at least a few minutes.
DSperber's Avatar DSperber
06:06 PM Liked: 119
post #2894 of 4842
01-05-2011 | Posts: 5,455
Ceton.
08:50 PM Liked: 11
post #2895 of 4842
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSperber View Post

Ceton.

Yes, we all want the quad-tuner capabilities of a Ceton computer tuner card, however a readily available quad-tuner STB DVR from mainstream cable service providers is actually more like 18 months out, IMO.
10:42 PM Liked: 119
post #2896 of 4842
01-05-2011 | Posts: 5,455
Quote:

Yes, we all want the quad-tuner capabilities of a Ceton computer tuner card, however a readily available quad-tuner STB DVR from mainstream cable service providers is actually more like 18 months out, IMO.

It's really more than just the 4 tuners which makes the Ceton implementation stand out from the cable providers STB/DVR alternative.

It's MS's Win7/WMC implementation of DVR software that makes it stand out (and I really don't consider the Win7/DRM restrictions, including requirement for use of an extender to play copy-once content, to be a downside). Now THIS is how DVR and multi-room should be implemented.

The existing restrictions in user-desired usage techniques for multi-room configurations, as currently implemented via the DCX3400M/DCX3200M as outlined in several posts above, now THESE are actual real downsides, with barely acceptable workarounds.

These problems do not exist under WMC.

Hence my one-word comment (and my personal solution to my desires and needs): CETON.

Note also that in my area TWC/LA has not yet made multi-room hardware even available yet, so even that option was not even an option to me. Also, I don't have to suffer with the really back-level buggy A28 (version 1!) software that TWC/LA continues to use on all its Motorola boxes, with the resulting 5-6 day Guide problem still present. With WMC it's 14-days.
02:31 AM Liked: 11
post #2897 of 4842
01-06-2011 | Posts: 695
Quote:

Note also that in my area TWC/LA has not yet made multi-room hardware even available yet, so even that option was not even an option to me. Also, I don't have to suffer with the really back-level buggy A28 (version 1!) software that TWC/LA continues to use on all its Motorola boxes, with the resulting 5-6 day Guide problem still present. With WMC it's 14-days.

Just be thankful we all did not get suckered into FiOS:

http://www.oregonlive.com/business/i...e_fios_ca.html
05:05 AM Liked: 119
post #2898 of 4842
01-06-2011 | Posts: 5,455
Quote:

Just be thankful we all did not get suckered into FiOS:

http://www.oregonlive.com/business/i...e_fios_ca.html

GOOD HEAVENS!!!

"Rates will rise 46 percent or more for standard cable plans -- the result, Frontier says, of rate hikes by the cable networks."
4mula1's Avatar 4mula1
12:58 PM Liked: 26
post #2899 of 4842
01-06-2011 | Posts: 1,257
Quote:

No you can't initiate this from the remote terminal box. However you can now get an app from Comcast for several smart phones that allow you to control the DVR; set recordings, change channels, etc. You can also schedule your shows from most computers via the webpage.

The pausing of live TV isn't a big deal for me as I record nearly all my shows so I can skip commercials anyway. The deal breaker for me is that as of now you can only record 2 shows. This should hopefully change later this year when they release a newer box that has the capability to record 4 shows.

The app simply acts as the remote. I do not know if that signal can reach the main box if you are in a different room on another floor.
RFP2009's Avatar RFP2009
01:46 PM Liked: 10
post #2900 of 4842
01-06-2011 | Posts: 61
Haven't had any problems until this week. Have 2 DCX3400's. One records in HD the other SD. All the problems have been on the one recording HD.

Like others have reported about shows that won't play. Some shows would play for a couple of minutes or I'd have a blank screen and it wouldn't play or fast forward. Other times the current show that was playing on a specific channel would continue to play while I've selected a recording to play. Finally pulled the plug, which I dread.

Last night I checked what was going to record and noticed "Full Throttle Saloon" was set not to record so I changed it. Look at it again and now it says it's clipped. I notice that "Law&Order is 2 hours and "Cougar Town"(Hate that ABC does this) runs to 10:01. I cancel Cougar and it still shows Full Throttle clipped. I move Full Throttle ahead in priority. Still clipped. Now set to not record. Set it to record again. Still clipped. Remove Cougar as a series recording. Still clipped. Look again. Set not to record. Set it to record again. Local news set to record every night. Ready to start watching at 11:07p and it's not recording. Look at DVR history and it says it was cancelled by a user. No it wasn't. Other DVR recorded all of the above with no problems
My VCR always records everything I ask it to.
CaptMorn2374's Avatar CaptMorn2374
03:24 PM Liked: 10
post #2901 of 4842
01-06-2011 | Posts: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4mula1 View Post

The app simply acts as the remote. I do not know if that signal can reach the main box if you are in a different room on another floor.

It will control the box as long as you have an internet connection. I use the itouch, and can change the channels on my wife when I am at work using the wi-fi there.
03:29 PM Liked: 11
post #2902 of 4842
01-06-2011 | Posts: 695
Quote:

GOOD HEAVENS!!!

"Rates will rise 46 percent or more for standard cable plans -- the result, Frontier says, of rate hikes by the cable networks."

What's even more amusing is this article from a couple of months ago:

http://blog.oregonlive.com/siliconfo...better_se.html

And in today's Oregonian there is a follow-up story to the 46% Rate hike story that says the local and phone customer service reps have not been notified of the rate hike yet and are still quoting old rates:

http://blog.oregonlive.com/siliconfo...ontier_co.html

The CS reps are calling the east coast Frontier offices to find out what's going on and are still waiting for an answer. Calls from the Oregonian investigative reporters to corporate headquarters are also not being returned.

Looks like Frontier may have bit off more than it could chew when they aquired the FiOS business from Verizon.

Possible BK filing in the works maybe???
dfredericks's Avatar dfredericks
10:16 AM Liked: 10
post #2903 of 4842
01-07-2011 | Posts: 3
I have a DCX3400 connected to a 46XBR3 via HDMI and when the TV is cycled off I see the handshake and the format drops from 1080 to 480 and 16:9 down to 4:3L. When the TV is turned back on, the DVR remains at 480 on HD channels. I tried setting to Native but the problem persists. Swapped out the DVR with another one and the problem remains. Any help greatly appreciated.
4mula1's Avatar 4mula1
11:55 AM Liked: 26
post #2904 of 4842
01-07-2011 | Posts: 1,257
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptMorn2374 View Post
It will control the box as long as you have an internet connection. I use the itouch, and can change the channels on my wife when I am at work using the wi-fi there.
It will control it from comcast's website. But the actual app for ipad, ipod touch ect, only acts as a remote control and will only control the DVR from within a certain distance.
4mula1's Avatar 4mula1
11:56 AM Liked: 26
post #2905 of 4842
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfredericks View Post
I have a DCX3400 connected to a 46XBR3 via HDMI and when the TV is cycled off I see the handshake and the format drops from 1080 to 480 and 16:9 down to 4:3L. When the TV is turned back on, the DVR remains at 480 on HD channels. I tried setting to Native but the problem persists. Swapped out the DVR with another one and the problem remains. Any help greatly appreciated.
With it set to native, did you uncheck the 480 resolution?
jonwww's Avatar jonwww
12:52 PM Liked: 10
post #2906 of 4842
01-07-2011 | Posts: 734
Quote:
It will control it from comcast's website. But the actual app for ipad, ipod touch ect, only acts as a remote control and will only control the DVR from within a certain distance.
Then I'm pretty sure we're talking about 2 different apps. The one I was talking about let's you use your phone to change channels, etc from a completely different location than your dvr. For example you're in CA and your cable box/dvr is in NY, you can change channels from across the country. It's not some third party remote app someone made up, it's an app from Comcast.

http://blog.comcast.com/2010/12/xfin...lkthrough.html
BSTNFAN's Avatar BSTNFAN
01:09 PM Liked: 16
post #2907 of 4842
01-07-2011 | Posts: 589
Quote:
I don't believe the iPod/iPad/etc. can send IR signals (without some sort of add-on device). It is controlling the box via the internet and Comcast's system.
crossbeaux's Avatar crossbeaux
01:13 PM Liked: 17
post #2908 of 4842
01-07-2011 | Posts: 965
Quote:
Then I'm pretty sure we're talking about 2 different apps. The one I was talking about let's you use your phone to change channels, etc from a completely different location than your dvr. For example you're in CA and your cable box/dvr is in NY, you can change channels from across the country. It's not some third party remote app someone made up, it's an app from Comcast.

http://blog.comcast.com/2010/12/xfin...lkthrough.html
Your link points to the Infinity app for Android, which is pretty cool. But it can't change the channel on your TV. It's basically a mobile version of the Comcast web application. You can view the guide listings and set up recordings. But that's about it. I don't think you can start a recording playing, nor can you delete a recording or tune to a particular channel. At least, not according to the video they show.
4mula1's Avatar 4mula1
01:42 PM Liked: 26
post #2909 of 4842
Quote:
Originally Posted by crossbeaux View Post

Your link points to the Infinity app for Android, which is pretty cool. But it can't change the channel on your TV. It's basically a mobile version of the Comcast web application. You can view the guide listings and set up recordings. But that's about it. I don't think you can start a recording playing, nor can you delete a recording or tune to a particular channel. At least, not according to the video they show.

Agreed, it looks to me like you can set recordings, etc, but not actually change a channel. It is basicly an app that is the same as visiting MyDVR on the internet. And, I know you cannot change channels using MyDVR. If he can, then this is something very new to me.
4mula1's Avatar 4mula1
01:44 PM Liked: 26
post #2910 of 4842
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSTNFAN View Post

I don't believe the iPod/iPad/etc. can send IR signals (without some sort of add-on device). It is controlling the box via the internet and Comcast's system.

No add on device, I use the app that they show on TV where the guy is whipping through TV shows, and the shows are reacting the the direction he is moving. Anyway, when I click on a channel for it to change to, an IR visual shows up on the iPad, and the channel changes. I do that while I am at work, and the channel does not change. I'll have to disconnect from the wifi and see if it changes the channel.

Reply HDTV Recorders

Subscribe to this Thread