Official AVS Motorola DCX series HD DVR Topic! - Page 98 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #2911 of 4784 Old 01-07-2011, 12:50 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Yes, I have turned to Native and unchecked 480 as I was following an earlier post from DSperber. Turn the TV off and the display flashes 'dui' and drops back down to 480. I have seen other complaints of this happening but just have not found a solution.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2912 of 4784 Old 01-07-2011, 12:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfredericks View Post

Yes, I have turned to Native and unchecked 480 as I was following an earlier post from DSperber. Turn the TV off and the display flashes 'dui' and drops back down to 480. I have seen other complaints of this happening but just have not found a solution.

I know you swapped DVRs to no avail, but what about HDMI cables? Maybe yours is going bad?
post #2913 of 4784 Old 01-07-2011, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4mula1 View Post

I know you swapped DVRs to no avail, but what about HDMI cables? Maybe yours is going bad?

Yes, replaced the HDMI cable as well without success
post #2914 of 4784 Old 01-07-2011, 02:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
I've never heard of an iPhone app that lets you control changing channels, etc, but I use the Comcast iPhone app regularly to schedule recordings. It works great, although I seem to be unable to ask it to NOT record something (in times where my hard drive space is low and I might lose something that I care about more).

To clarify, the app lets me tell it to not record something, but then records it anyways.

But, even with this flaw, I've been quite happy with the iPhone app.
post #2915 of 4784 Old 01-07-2011, 03:10 PM

When you use the app and tap on a show that is currently showing, you should see the "Watch on TV" button. Pressing this will send the request via web to the default DVR, which can be changed using the settings icon in the upper left corner of the tv listings.

The confirmation of the request shows as a graphic with an IR signal and the name of the DVR under it. I've done this from work on wifi to show a friend and had my wife call me asking if I knew what was happening to the DVR, which is how I know it works anywhere

This same function is now available on the web site at xfinitytv.com. When you select to Watch, there was a prompt for me to choose which DVR to send it to (I have two) and a similar IR graphic when I clicked OK. On average the channel changes in about 2-3 seconds after I click Watch from either place.

Best of all, I can search TV and On Demand this way. For On Demand, when I click Watch it launches On Demand and the show description is on the screen to where I need to click Watch or Buy through the box. A nice shortcut to find something to watch.
post #2916 of 4784 Old 01-08-2011, 01:26 PM
Advanced Member

Thank you Capt for the breakdown explanation. I guess it just sounds to good to be true for some people.

Just my 2¢
Jon
post #2917 of 4784 Old 01-09-2011, 03:45 PM

I have a series recording set and it records for months. Then all of a sudden it stops recording. Why? I don't know. If you are having the same problem, here's how to reset your series recordings:

1. You have to go into DVR history and delete every instance of it. This is a P.I.T.A. They need to allow a search for the title.

2. Next step is to delete the series recording.

3. Find series on the grid and set up series recording.

I don't know why I have to keep doing this! .
post #2918 of 4784 Old 01-09-2011, 04:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFP2009 View Post

1. You have to go into DVR history and delete every instance of it. This is a P.I.T.A. They need to allow a search for the title.

FYI you can change the sort order in the history from 'date' to 'show name'. Makes this much easier.

Just my 2¢
Jon
post #2919 of 4784 Old 01-09-2011, 06:50 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by RFP2009 View Post

I have a series recording set and it records for months. Then all of a sudden it stops recording. Why? I don't know. If you are having the same problem, here's how to reset your series recordings:

2. Next step is to delete the series recording.

3. Find series on the grid and set up series recording.

I don't know why I have to keep doing this! .

I just go through the schedule once weekly and setup one-time recordings of the 6 or 7 weekly entertainment shows I follow. I only use the series recording setup for daily local new, national news and a couple of daily CNBC daily shows.
Other than that, I do not use series recordings for weekly "entertainment" shows and I've never had a problem so far over the last few years with any entertainment series using any of the DVRs I've had (DCT, DCH or DCX).
post #2920 of 4784 Old 01-09-2011, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by George-O View Post

I just go through the schedule once weekly and setup one-time recordings of the 6 or 7 weekly entertainment shows I follow. I only use the series recording setup for daily local new, national news and a couple of daily CNBC daily shows.
Other than that, I do not use series recordings for weekly "entertainment" shows ...

I'm surprised to hear you say that. Series recording is one of my favorite features! If they change days or slip in an extra or special episode on some other day, it gets picked up automatically. Also, it starts recording again "next season" without having to re-program.

If you're not avoiding the feature because you think it's unreliable, why not use it?
post #2921 of 4784 Old 01-09-2011, 07:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorickm View Post

I'm surprised to hear you say that. Series recording is one of my favorite features! If they change days or slip in an extra or special episode on some other day, it gets picked up automatically. Also, it starts recording again "next season" without having to re-program.

If you're not avoiding the feature because you think it's unreliable, why not use it?

Picking recordings from the on screen schedule also automatically shifts if the show time changes, etc.

To better clarify, I'm not setting up "manual" recordings which I agree is laborious.

I simply fast jump from prime-time day-to-day (using the Day + button) while viewing the onscreen menu and move the cursor to the show I want to record and press the record button. I can setup a week ahead in less than 90 seconds (for my needs).

Plus, I do use the series recording feature for my daily shows (but only those that properly flag repeats). It is an annoyance when shows get recorded twice .... usually PBS. I used to use the series feature for all my prime time weekly entertainment shows I follow and I'd get the occassional missed recording. That still occasssionally happens on my current daily show series, but if my DVR misses recording a CNBC or evening newscast in my series it's no big deal.

The point I was trying to make was that I've never had the DVR miss a recording except when it was part of a series.
post #2922 of 4784 Old 01-09-2011, 08:00 PM

Quote:

Picking recordings from the on screen schedule also automatically shifts if the show time changes, etc.

My system picks up time shifts as well as day shifts. I think the Canadian networks shuffle shows around more than in the US, so the series recording really makes my life easier.

Quote:
The point I was trying to make was that I've never had the DVR miss a recording except when it was part of a series.

OK, yes, I did misread that. I thought you were saying that the series recording of the local news etc never missed either.

I don't know if it's the box or the provider (I have a DCT6412P3 with Shaw Cable) that causes skipped shows, but I have seen a few get missed in the last few years, and occasionally a repeat show will get recorded so I'll get the same show twice in one week.

Compared to life with 2-hr VHS tapes, the PVR is a life-changer. I get missed shows from torrents on the web, and duplicates are OK unless they fill up my disk (which hasn't happened) so I put up with it.
post #2923 of 4784 Old 01-09-2011, 08:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:

To better clarify, I'm not setting up "manual" recordings which I agree is laborious.

I simply fast jump from prime-time day-to-day (using the Day + button) while viewing the onscreen menu and move the cursor to the show I want to record and press the record button. I can setup a week ahead in less than 90 seconds (for my needs).

Plus, I do use the series recording feature for my daily shows (but only those that properly flag repeats). It is an annoyance when shows get recorded twice .... usually PBS. I used to use the series feature for all my prime time weekly entertainment shows I follow and I'd get the occassional missed recording. That still occasssionally happens on my current daily show series, but if my DVR misses recording a CNBC or evening newscast in my series it's no big deal.

I actually do both. That is, I set up everything possible as a series recording. However, every week, usually on Sunday, I go through the entire week's schedule to make sure that what I want recorded actually is set up to record. Primarily, this is to make sure that the cable episodes (on TNT, FX, USA, etc) that get bumped by network episodes (ABC, NBC, etc) actually get remapped for later recording, since cable shows usually air multiple times a week. These days, most everything gets set up to record correctly. But I still check every week to make sure.
post #2924 of 4784 Old 01-09-2011, 08:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crossbeaux View Post

I actually do both. That is, I set up everything possible as a series recording. However, every week, usually on Sunday, I go through the entire week's schedule to make sure that what I want recorded actually is set up to record. Primarily, this is to make sure that the cable episodes (on TNT, FX, USA, etc) that get bumped by network episodes (ABC, NBC, etc) actually get remapped for later recording, since cable shows usually air multiple times a week. These days, most everything gets set up to record correctly. But I still check every week to make sure.

You've just touched on one reason some series recordings get missed ..... a schedule bump creates a conflict and the lowest priority series recording gets cancelled by the system. However, all my series recordings are for daily shows prior to 7:00 pm local time and the potential for having one of those in my series setup getting cancelled is slim to none. Yet, however I still occassionally find an 11:00 am CNBC daily series recording getting skipped, etc (maybe once every couple of weeks) .... but again it's no big deal as it's only news, or Cramer or Erin Burnett (although cancelling my daily dose of Ms. Erin may be somewhat more disappointing than cancelling the others), etc.

This has and continues to happen with the DCT, DCH and now the AnyRoom DCX3400-M units I've used over the years.

So for my prime time series I just do the weekly thing and never had anything cancelled yet ..... However, it could be that I rarely record stuff that gets bumped to other times and if I did I can easily see how a recording could get cancelled. Sometimes if I see there is a prime time show scheduled for right after a sporting event, I fudge it and also include recording the next show scheduled right after it to be safe and admit it saved me missing recording a few eposides of stuff like Lost or 24. I don't think the DVR's series recording programming "brain" is quite that smart yet to deal with such situations, so there still is need for human brain intervention on occassions with any DVR ..... Yet DVRs are light years beyond the days of the std VCR.
post #2925 of 4784 Old 01-09-2011, 09:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 23
With all these issues and bugs such as the Native bug and recording issues and so forth, wouldn't it be better to just get a Tivo or other such 3rd party high end box? I haven't followed those 3rd party units but have to imagine they are several times better than the Moto boxes yes?
post #2926 of 4784 Old 01-09-2011, 10:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingdvd View Post

With all these issues and bugs such as the Native bug and recording issues and so forth, wouldn't it be better to just get a Tivo or other such 3rd party high end box? I haven't followed those 3rd party units but have to imagine they are several times better than the Moto boxes yes?

Maybe.
post #2927 of 4784 Old 01-10-2011, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingdvd View Post
I have been thinking about this for quite a while myself (Motorola DCX-3400 ? or Tivo Premiere ?), but the more important thing to remember is...

There is no free lunch.

You will have to deal with some functionality 'issues' no matter which one you choose. Tivo's aren't immune to many of the same user interface, software update, and recording issues that many of us are having with our DCX-3400's.

The one key difference between a Tivo PVR and a Motorola PVR, is that the Motorola is a tru two-way communication device (through software and on- board processor), where as the Tivo accesses your local cable channels through a one-way communication device. (a single or multi-stream CABLE CARD tuner)

That's one of the primary reasons that I went with the Motorola DCX-3400 over the Tivo Premier DVR.

The Tivo DVR is 'blind' to a number of premium and pay-per-view channels that the (cable company supplied) Motorola DCX-3400 can access.

Since the Tivo uses a CABLE CARD interface (a one-way tuning device), it is not able to communicate back with the head end cable signal. (for the proper authorization of those channels to be unlocked)

I hear this limitation may be lifted in 2011, because my local cable company says it will finally allow tru two-way communication with the Tivo Premiere DVR's through a flash software update of the actual unit.

Yea, I'll believe that when I see it...
post #2928 of 4784 Old 01-10-2011, 09:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
You've just touched on one reason some series recordings get missed ..... a schedule bump creates a conflict and the lowest priority series recording gets cancelled by the system. However, all my series recordings are for daily shows prior to 7:00 pm local time and the potential for having one of those in my series setup getting cancelled is slim to none. Yet, however I still occassionally find an 11:00 am CNBC daily series recording getting skipped, etc (maybe once every couple of weeks) .... but again it's no big deal as it's only news, or Cramer or Erin Burnett (although cancelling my daily dose of Ms. Erin may be somewhat more disappointing than cancelling the others), etc.

This has and continues to happen with the DCT, DCH and now the AnyRoom DCX3400-M units I've used over the years.

So for my prime time series I just do the weekly thing and never had anything cancelled yet ..... However, it could be that I rarely record stuff that gets bumped to other times and if I did I can easily see how a recording could get cancelled. Sometimes if I see there is a prime time show scheduled for right after a sporting event, I fudge it and also include recording the next show scheduled right after it to be safe and admit it saved me missing recording a few eposides of stuff like Lost or 24. I don't think the DVR's series recording programming "brain" is quite that smart yet to deal with such situations, so there still is need for human brain intervention on occassions with any DVR ..... Yet DVRs are light years beyond the days of the std VCR.
The beauty of the current scheduling algorithm (since A28) is that by judiciously prioritizing your series recordings, you can get the system to do all the hard work of finding alternative airings of shows that conflict with other shows you're recording. In my priority list, I make sure that the highest priority shows are those that air only once (i.e. usually broadcast network programs on ABC, NBC, etc.). After that, I have the cable network series (TNT, USA, etc.). If there are three or more shows set to record at the same time, the system does "cancel" the lowest priority shows. However, if they are cable shows that are aired more than once a week, the system finds the next airing that doesn't have a conflict, and sets up a recording for that time. It does the work of finding that 1:00AM or 4:00AM airing, and I don't have to.

I admit that most of my recordings are weekly series, and with daily shows or news shows, there might be additional problems. But setting up series recordings in this way and then just monitoring them has been really easy for me.
post #2929 of 4784 Old 01-10-2011, 02:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crossbeaux View Post

I admit that most of my recordings are weekly series, and with daily shows or news shows, there might be additional problems. But setting up series recordings in this way and then just monitoring them has been really easy for me.

Yep ... everyone's viewing pattern is different and there is no one solution that works for all.

Most of everything I watch offers no subsequent airings, so I end up then trying to find a missed recording from On-Demand, and if not there then the internet ...... and if not there I usually just say to heck with it.
post #2930 of 4784 Old 01-11-2011, 04:37 AM

Quote:

I have a DCX3400 connected to a 46XBR3 via HDMI and when the TV is cycled off I see the handshake and the format drops from 1080 to 480 and 16:9 down to 4:3L. When the TV is turned back on, the DVR remains at 480 on HD channels. I tried setting to Native but the problem persists. Swapped out the DVR with another one and the problem remains. Any help greatly appreciated.

I went through this back in the fall when we first switched to Comcast. Just surrender and go with component. The HDMI on these boxes has decided it knows better than we do and constantly renegotiates and changes the settings. I found a half dozen or so threads on it, here and elsewhere, and it's a bug with the box software.
post #2931 of 4784 Old 01-11-2011, 09:44 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by klambert View Post

I went through this back in the fall when we first switched to Comcast. Just surrender and go with component. The HDMI on these boxes has decided it knows better than we do and constantly renegotiates and changes the settings. I found a half dozen or so threads on it, here and elsewhere, and it's a bug with the box software.

Hi. I'm on comcast and have the DCX3400 with s/w ver 78.53-A28p0-4.1005.4r-8 Firmware 22.65. The DCX3400 is connected via hdmi to a LG60PS80. I have it set to native and it stays that way. Just checked it again to make sure. This is just another data point. I will say the software is poorly written. There are several (many) bugs. One is when I go to play a previously recorded program, sometimes when I press play, the time bar displays and shows it is playing the program but actually I'm still viewing the llive programing. The Dvr even says play on its display. And of course the dreaded black screen when recording a program. I'm sure this is a combination of hardware, firmware and software. Motorola is just not capable of making a decent product IMHO.
post #2932 of 4784 Old 01-11-2011, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjthenovice View Post

Hi. I'm on comcast and have the DCX3400 with s/w ver 78.53-A28p0-4.1005.4r-8 Firmware 22.65. The DCX3400 is connected via hdmi to a LG60PS80. I have it set to native and it stays that way. Just checked it again to make sure. This is just another data point. I will say the software is poorly written. There are several (many) bugs. One is when I go to play a previously recorded program, sometimes when I press play, the time bar displays and shows it is playing the program but actually I'm still viewing the llive programing. The Dvr even says play on its display. And of course the dreaded black screen when recording a program. I'm sure this is a combination of hardware, firmware and software. Motorola is just not capable of making a decent product IMHO.

My experience is similar. I have a DCX3400M with s/w ver 78.53-A28p0-4.1005.4r-8 Firmware 22.65 hooked up to a Samsung PN63C590 and it happily stays in native mode.

However, I did have problems when I ran the DCX3400M to my Samsung via my Denon AVR-3310CI. In that case, handshaking problems repeatedly reset the box to 720P. The problem went away when I hooked the HDMI cable directly to the TV and began to use the digital coaxial output for audio output to my Denon receiver.
post #2933 of 4784 Old 01-11-2011, 10:30 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by klambert View Post

This is probably the best post that most accurately describes the handshake issues and why we shouldn't bother wasting our time on hdmi with these things. I am not quite there yet, but if I get another green screen I think I will just keep it on component.
post #2934 of 4784 Old 01-11-2011, 01:53 PM

Have 2 DCX3400's. Have the sames series set up on each. Program was aired 3 times on Sunday/Monday. One recorded it one did not. On the one that didn't record, the history said "Cancelled by user". No it wasn't. It's the same priority on both boxes. Huh?
post #2935 of 4784 Old 01-11-2011, 07:24 PM

I'm having issues with the dcx3400 not wanting to rewind/pause/ff etc. The live programming is still playing but the status bar shows that it is trying to rewind or pause but the time bar doesn't move. Live just keeps playing. I have to switch channels then it starts working correctly again... anyone find a remedy to this issue?
post #2936 of 4784 Old 01-11-2011, 07:37 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealDeal1 View Post
I'm having issues with the dcx3400 not wanting to rewind/pause/ff etc. The live programming is still playing but the status bar shows that it is trying to rewind or pause but the time bar doesn't move. Live just keeps playing. I have to switch channels then it starts working correctly again... anyone find a remedy to this issue?
This is an intermittent problem for me also. Instead of changing the channel and loosing the buffer, I swap tuners and that does the trick.
post #2937 of 4784 Old 01-11-2011, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjthenovice View Post
This is an intermittent problem for me also. Instead of changing the channel and loosing the buffer, I swap tuners and that does the trick.
Thanks! I can live with it if the buffer stays. You saved me alot of grief
post #2938 of 4784 Old 01-11-2011, 08:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Before resorting to switching channels, try hitting "My DVR" first. That often seems to unlock things when my DCX appears to be stuck.
post #2939 of 4784 Old 01-12-2011, 11:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
Quote:

I can confirm. Sometimes, swapping the tuners and then swapping them back will allow you to start FF/RW.
post #2940 of 4784 Old 01-20-2011, 08:11 AM

Anybody experience any audio sync issues. I recalibrated my avr and noticed the lip-sync was off. The distance of the center channel was accurate so there should not be a delay.
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page