Dish DTVPal DVR (ex-Echostar TR-50) Official Speculation and Order Info Thread - Page 93 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #2761 of 3326 Old 12-18-2008, 11:31 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeAreNotAlone69 View Post

The issue you seem to be missing here

As I've said before, I don't miss stuff like this. I think you're wrong, mistaken, incorrect, etc. I haven't missed any part of what you have written -- not one little itty-bitty bit.

Quote:

is the the manufacturer /the distributor /reseller or whatever you want to call DishNetwork is knowingly selling product that doesn't work for allot of people.

What's remarkable is that you're "missing" words you yourself type!!!!!!!! Did you "miss" this part of the sentence you wrote? Did you? Or, rather, did you choose to ignore the ramifications of it and insist that all that matters is what you want, rather than what makes sense?

Quote:

Buyers responsibility regarding "environmental factors" is to confirm a proper antenna setup, that the signal strength is within acceptable parameters.

Buyers' responsibility includes ensure all stated requirements for the product to operate are satisfied. All of them. Not just the ones you feel are easy enough for you to handle.

And indeed, that could mean that there are variables, that are part of the minimum requirements, that the buyer has no effective control over. That's called "assumed risk". No matter how much you try to avoid it, buyers assume all risks associated with a product not working for them because of their inability to have the minimum requirements for the purchase satisfied, unless the manufacturer specifically warrants to the contrary. I know you want the world to work differently. I wouldn't be adverse to having such advantages bestowed onto me as a customer, as well. However, that's not reality. It's not the way things are. It isn't the way things are supposed to be. And most importantly, no one should be given the idea that it is any part of what they should expect.

And as a PP suggested, if you don't like this, don't buy anything in the mass-market. Buy only if you're provided written guarantees that someone else will resolve all of your problems for you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2762 of 3326 Old 12-18-2008, 11:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Anyone tried calling Dish to get a tracking number?
post #2763 of 3326 Old 12-18-2008, 12:15 PM

Liked: 12
Edit, To Philb below- You are correct this is not a DTVpal thread- the thing is the DTVPal DVR is being brought to you by the SAME company as the lowly DTVPal. I've read multiple posts on Dishnetworks handling of customers reporting problems /wanting to get their units exchanged under warranty getting the run-around from DishNetwork.

bicker1,
Regarding your comment on "it's the Buyers' responsibility includes ensure all stated requirements for the product to operate are satisfied. All of them."

Beyond a customer making sure he /she has a proper antenna set-up, with the unit getting a strong enough signal it's not the customer's "job" per-se to have to go-after whoever is dragging their feet on getting TVGOS properly implemented.

Because:

A: Most people that have purchased DTVPals aren't going to know what is causing their unit to not function properly.
B: Most people aren't going to know who to complain to /How to get in contact with those in positions of power to effect the needed changes.
C: It's the "job" or "responsibility" of those at DishNetwork who are btw more than likely to have direct dial numbers for those involved. Let me put it another way- between you as (1) person calling to complain, taking to "lower-tier" persons who have NO AUTHORIZATION to do anything, and Dish Inc calling direct to persons who have authorization to do whatever it takes... Which (1) call is going to have more effect?

You, or the "big-boss of DishNetwork" calling TVGOS directly..?

On another subject: As a pro-Dish, Inc poster what excuse can you come up with for DishNetwork for not providing tracking numbers on shipments? If I buy from any other company a product and I provide them with a e-mail address I get confirmation item has shipped & a tracking number.

In today's market there is NO excuse for not e-mailing a tracking number. (LOL)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillN937 View Post

Never saw a DTVPal but if Service Tech's observations based on what he sees in his shop are correct the number of OTA people who have a TVGOS enabled recorder is relatively small compared to the number of total OTA viewers. Even fewer will have a TVGOS enabled recorder.

There have been some complaints about PQ but the only people who really seem to be affected are the TVGOS users.

Maybe they should put a note in the box explaining that not all CBS stations have TVGOS data YET but considering the number of people who are affected by what we hope is a temporary situation does not seem to merit keeping it out of the hands of those who can use it. They also lose a lot of market if they wait until everyone gets TVGOS. The DTVPal is primarily a CECB, it just has this TVGOS conversion feature added on.

As to the Pal DVR I don't see this as a very useful feature. All it will let me do is record a DVD since it appears to use one tuner I can't record 3 programs.

RE: On the DTVPal Series units being primarily just a tuner with the "guide feature added on", not many people being affected, etc

Let's be frank:
DTVPal /TR-40 /TR-40CRA Picture Quality compared to competing units is let us say "lacking" and the tuner is "weak".

The "Guide" and the "timers" that allow the unit(s) to be hooked up to a vcr /dvr are "the selling feature".

Read any CECB comparison reviews, those are "the features" that differentiate the DTVPal from it's competitors. People are wanting this unit for the Guide and the timers to pair with their VCR, DVR, PVR, or other devices that don't have a ASTC tuner.

The problem is the guide / and the timers aren't working as advertised.

On the problems not affecting many people...

I guess it doesn't affect too many people.(cough, cough)... Right now the DTVPal thread is running at almost ONE-HALF MILLION hits. (490,751 to be exact, on this site alone) ...

Note that a large body of posts within that thread people reporting problems with the timers on their units not working properly.

On Dish putting a note in the box- A sticker that is not easily removed on the bottom of the unit explaining TVGOS is needed, with a link to Dish's site explaining the matter with a ETA on when they expect a resolution to the problem would be the proper thing to do....

post #2764 of 3326 Old 12-18-2008, 12:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
This is not a DVTPal thread. And this is not a CECB fourm.

-phil

Life's a party, let's get out and strut.
post #2765 of 3326 Old 12-18-2008, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck44 View Post

Nope, but I bet after the first person gets one there will a few more people calling for them!

I called yesterday and they did not have one as of yet, just the same thing that its going to be shipped between the 17th and 19th.
post #2766 of 3326 Old 12-18-2008, 12:44 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck44 View Post

Uh oh, I just called to check on the status of mine. He said that it is scheduled to ship on January 12, 2009.

I told him that I was told that it would ship Dec 17. He didn't seem too impressed and said "No, it will be shipped Jan 12".

I asked him point blank if any others had shipped yet and he said that as far as he knows none of them have been shipped yet.

I ordered mine Nov 28th.
post #2767 of 3326 Old 12-18-2008, 12:48 PM
AVS Special Member

There were a bunch of us that ordered Nov 19th.
post #2768 of 3326 Old 12-18-2008, 01:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerTheBetter View Post

Uh oh, I just called to check on the status of mine. He said that it is scheduled to ship on January 12, 2009.

The Pal DVR was introduced at the 2008 Consumer Electronics Show. The 2009 CES is January 8-11. Coincidence?
post #2769 of 3326 Old 12-18-2008, 01:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
i ordered mine the 24thof nov. I used online chat yesterday and was told it shipped the 17th. I chatted again today and was told it shipped yesterday as per a note on my account. I hope they are nor using dishes general shipping information. They did not have a tracking number.
and for all others this is a DTVPAL DVR thread let keep on subject

post #2770 of 3326 Old 12-18-2008, 01:16 PM
AVS Special Member

yes i agree, when the first units start showing up on peoples door steps a new thread should be started for working reviews.
post #2771 of 3326 Old 12-18-2008, 01:29 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRANK43 View Post

i ordered mine the 24thof nov. I used online chat yesterday and was told it shipped the 17th. I chatted again today and was told it shipped yesterday as per a note on my account. I hope they are nor using dishes general shipping information. They did not have a tracking number.
and for all others this is a DTVPAL DVR thread let keep on subject

Hmm, I have no idea why he told me that none have shipped. Hopefully he is totally incorrect about mine being shipped.
post #2772 of 3326 Old 12-18-2008, 02:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerTheBetter View Post

Hmm, I have no idea why he told me that none have shipped. Hopefully he is totally incorrect about mine being shipped.

Maybe he meant none of the later orders hadn't shipped.
post #2773 of 3326 Old 12-18-2008, 02:25 PM

I'm one of the brave and foolish Nov. 19 order-ers. Just got this from Dish Network chat support, which I assume is the current generic answer: "The DISH Network DTVPal DVR receiver will be shipped out within the week.You should see it arrive within about 8 - 10 business days."
post #2774 of 3326 Old 12-18-2008, 02:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwillie6 View Post

I'm one of the brave and foolish Nov. 19 order-ers. Just got this from Dish Network chat support, which I assume is the current generic answer: "The DISH Network DTVPal DVR receiver will be shipped out within the week.You should see it arrive within about 8 - 10 business days."

I think every chat rep is giving a different answer, don't know if it is based on where you live. I was told 1-2 days by one rep and 7-10 days by another

post #2775 of 3326 Old 12-18-2008, 02:34 PM
Advanced Member

UPS truck just passed my house, so I guess not today.

post #2776 of 3326 Old 12-18-2008, 02:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRANK43 View Post

UPS truck just passed my house, so I guess not today.

I would guess not before Monday.
post #2777 of 3326 Old 12-18-2008, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otaguy View Post

The Pal DVR was introduced at the 2008 Consumer Electronics Show. The 2009 CES is January 8-11. Coincidence?

Maybe they are waiting until then to ship to maximize buyers remorse after they announce at CES the DTVPal DVR Plus with new improved tuners, a new silkscreened logo, newer firmware and a huge price increase? Then maybe they will rename the DTVPal DVR to the TR-50 DVR and sell it for a far lower price?

Either way I will be looking forward to what kind of spin their information minister "Baghdad Francie" has to put on it.
post #2778 of 3326 Old 12-18-2008, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagger666 View Post

yes i agree, when the first units start showing up on peoples door steps a new thread should be started for working reviews.

Completely agree! Label it "DTVPal DVR: facts, not speculation"
post #2779 of 3326 Old 12-18-2008, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N8YWF View Post

Maybe they are waiting until then to ship to maximize buyers remorse after they announce at CES the DTVPal DVR Plus with new improved tuners, a new silkscreened logo, newer firmware and a huge price increase? Then maybe they will rename the DTVPal DVR to the TR-50 DVR and sell it for a far lower price?

Either way I will be looking forward to what kind of spin their information minister "Baghdad Francie" has to put on it.

Another take might be that they are still being manufactured...after all they were a "pre-order" weren't they.
post #2780 of 3326 Old 12-18-2008, 03:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 474 Post(s)
Liked: 426
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavemaster View Post

Completely agree! Label it "DTVPal DVR: facts, not speculation"

And lock this thread so we don't have people cross-posting all the time to make sure they get read.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #2781 of 3326 Old 12-18-2008, 08:08 PM

The chat rep told me that there was a note on my account that the unit shipped yesterday, but that there was a delay and I should receive it in 5-7 business days. However, tracking information was not available and that he could not obtain it. He said to call them at 1-800-333-3474 if I did not receive it in that time frame.

edit: I ordered my unit on 11/23.
post #2782 of 3326 Old 12-18-2008, 08:56 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super_Chachi View Post

The chat rep told me that there was a note on my account that the unit shipped yesterday, but that there was a delay and I should receive it in 5-7 business days. However, tracking information was not available and that he could not obtain it. He said to call them at 1-800-333-3474 if I did not receive it in that time frame.

edit: I ordered my unit on 11/23.

This is awesome. A customer rep with a sense of humor. I would have told you the same thing to make sure you did not tee off on me and start ranting how you ordered it almost a month ago and how dare them not ship your unit during the first "estimated" time frame you were given.

People on this thread need to take a deep breath, enjoy the holidays and forget about OTA DVR's for a couple of weeks. Odds are you will all see these start to ship just after the start of the new year. You can then start recording reruns of your favorite network teevee shows in all their HD glory.

Let's face it. If one can wait this long for an HD DVR you can surely wait another couple 2-3-5 or 12 weeks for it can't you?

Wishing all a safe and happy holiday,

JD
post #2783 of 3326 Old 12-18-2008, 09:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super_Chachi View Post

The chat rep told me that there was a note on my account that the unit shipped yesterday, but that there was a delay and I should receive it in 5-7 business days...

Well what is the delay if it shipped? If it is already shipped, how can there be a delay...unless it was carrier weather related, but for a ground shipment that wouldn't be related back to the shipper, anyway.

At no point in your rambling, incoherent post were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this forum is now dumber for having read it.

My Little Theater
post #2784 of 3326 Old 12-19-2008, 05:19 AM
AVS Special Member

On the 30 hours of HD vs 150hrs of SD thing, since there is no way to select how it records does SD content sent out as 16:9 with sidebars (very common around here) count as SD or HD time?
post #2785 of 3326 Old 12-19-2008, 05:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Servicetech571 View Post

On the 30 hours of HD vs 150hrs of SD thing, since there is no way to select how it records does SD content sent out as 16:9 with sidebars (very common around here) count as SD or HD time?

The content is irrelevant, what counts is the format in which the subchannel is being broadcast. Recording an HD subchannel (1080i or 720p) will consume more disk space, regardless of whether the content on that subchannel is HD or upconverted SD with side bars; likewise, recording an SD subchannel (480i) will consume less disk space, regardless of whether the content is SD or downconverted HD with top and bottom bars.
post #2786 of 3326 Old 12-19-2008, 05:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank70 View Post

The content is irrelevant, what counts is the format in which the subchannel is being broadcast. Recording an HD subchannel (1080i or 720p) will consume more disk space, regardless of whether the content on that subchannel is HD or upconverted SD with side bars; likewise, recording an SD subchannel (480i) will consume less disk space, regardless of whether the content is SD or downconverted HD with top and bottom bars.

I don't know about your area but the sub channels are basically weather data around here (if the station even has them). This means recording the main channels 99% of the time. Oh well it looks like we're looking at a 30 hour recorder, forget the "150 hours of SD recording". It's a shame too since much of the programming is simply unconverted SD, very little outside of prime time TV or sports is in actual HD. DW's General Hospital she records every day will eat up space like an HD program even though it's SD. Hopefully soon everything will be HD and this won't be an issue.
post #2787 of 3326 Old 12-19-2008, 06:13 AM

Quote:

... since there is no way to select how it records ...

Is that true? With TiVos, at least, we can select to record off of the ADS channel instead of the HD channel, if we know a program is upconverted SD when broadcast on the HD channel. I do this for The Simpsons, among other shows.
post #2788 of 3326 Old 12-19-2008, 06:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicker1 View Post

Is that true? With TiVos, at least, we can select to record off of the ADS channel instead of the HD channel, if we know a program is upconverted SD when broadcast on the HD channel. I do this for The Simpsons, among other shows.

You can select the CHANNEL to record, just not the bitrate/quality. Yep, the Simpsons (and family guy/king of the hill) will be eating hard drive space just as if it were and HD program... That's 3hrs per week right there (I record the whole slot since Fox often moves shows around during animation domination).
post #2789 of 3326 Old 12-19-2008, 06:43 AM

Quote:

You can select the CHANNEL to record, just not the bitrate/quality. Yep, the Simpsons (and family guy/king of the hill) will be eating hard drive space just as if it were and HD program... That's 3hrs per week right there (I record the whole slot since Fox often moves shows around during animation domination).

Is this true even if we are using the SD analog outputs?
post #2790 of 3326 Old 12-19-2008, 06:44 AM

Quote:

You can select the CHANNEL to record, just not the bitrate/quality. Yep, the Simpsons (and family guy/king of the hill) will be eating hard drive space just as if it were and HD program...

Not if your first sentence is correct: Just designate that The Simpsons (et. al.) be recorded on the ADS channel, instead of the HD channel.
Reply HDTV Recorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page