One Pass Tapes ---- Watch out! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 12-10-2001, 08:30 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just purchased 10 one pass S-VHS tapes which are about $1 cheaper than what I can get brand new tapes for ($2.80 per tape).

When I first started using them they appeared to play back perfectly on the same deck that they were recorded with. But when checking playback on several other decks, these tapes would not play back correctly. They exhibited a lot of artifacts, green flashes or would have no picture at all. A brand new tape however used on the same deck will play back perfectly on all other decks (I have about 8). I was using Panny's, a JVC 30000U, and 2 Victor 30000's. All of them had problems playing back the one pass tapes.

Has anyone else had these problems with one pass tapes or did I just get a bad lot maybe?

Anyway allelectronics.com seems to have an excellent return policy which is the only good news about this.

Bernhard
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2001, 10:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Where were your artifacts at? Anywhere on the tape, or just at the end?

I just got in a new batch of Fuji tapes and may be having these issues with them.

dave
Old 12-10-2001, 11:08 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

They artifacts were at the beginning, in the middle and at the end. I only spot checked the tapes but they wouldn't play correctly at any point.

I've been using Fuji tapes in the past without a problem.

Bernhard
Old 12-11-2001, 03:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 252
I frequent All Electronics which is based here. They are a great source for surplus electronic parts but I would not buy that used tape.

The heads in these DHVS machines are expensive. The most popular model is discontinued so the clock is ticking on availability of replacement parts.

Why risk it when you can get new SVHS tapes for $5 on-line?

Glimmie's HT Page
Being redone - comming soon!

Old 12-11-2001, 04:22 PM
AVS Special Member

I'll second that. New TDK (for SVHS) and JVC (for longer DVHS) is all I use. I have no problems... no need to clean heads, etc., even after many hundreds of tapes.

-Roger
Old 12-11-2001, 05:44 PM
rrg
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Glimmie
Why risk it when you can get new SVHS tapes for $5 on-line?
Agreed. In fact, vendors like Tape Warehouse and Tape World (who will match the former's prices) sell Fuji S-VHS ST-120s for less than $4 a tape, even in small quantities.

Just a few weeks ago the price was over $4.25. This stuff just keeps getting cheaper.

Ron Gomes
Old 12-11-2001, 06:29 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 326 Post(s)
Liked: 167
In the past 5 years, tape costs for new stock has very affordable. I can't fathom anyone risking their expensive machine on what you refer to as one pass tape. I used to be a proponent of buying "evaluated" betacam SP tape. The reason I bought this was for what we call "air dubs" I would never shoot on it and never master to it. I would only use it for making air dubs.

What is one pass tape anyways? I know of no responsible tape dealer selling an advertised "one pass tape" How can they claim it was only one pass? They can't. Instead, most of these dealers will see an "evaluated tape" This is where the tape is cleaned to remove labels, bulk erased, recorded to on a special machine that tests for dropount count at the beginning, middle and end of the spool. This machines prints out a tape like a cash register receipt that lists the dropout count. Then the tape is again bulk erased and set for sale as a grade A or B or Fail. Grade A or B has two different prices. I have seen Grade A svhs stock go for about 1/3 the price of new and Grade B (one that shows a few dropouts) go for about 50cents each. The two biggest evaluated tape suppliers in the country are Carpel and Edgewise Media.

Back to the one pass issue- Several years ago I bought some bulk advertised two pass tape from Disney. The tape still had the recordings on it. These tapes were used to record those pictures of you on the rides and they scan the tape after recording to grab a still for a quick photo to sell you. Disney, in this way can guarantee it only had two passes. The tape was excellent quality. When I went to reorder more betacam stock, they declined. Seems their legal got wind of the sale and shut it down. My guess is they should have bulk erased the tape. The funny part was that those tapes were bought at very cheap prices and they sold it off in bulk for about 50% on the dollar. This meant that the tape for those rides cost Disney nothing. Later I heard Edgewise Media was buying it up and guaranteeing it would be bulk erased and sold as evaluated tape. I don't know where the eval tape stock comes from today. Tape has gotten so cheap that I don't buy eval anymore.
Old 12-12-2001, 11:31 AM
Advanced Member

About 80% of my 50+ HD tapes were recorded on these one-pass tapes from All Electronics and I had never had problems with it on the Panny.

However, when i tried playing the Panny tapes on the new JVC, none of them played perfectly. Ironically the ones with the most pixalations were the brand new Maxell D-VHS tapes i've used to record PBS demo's.

I'm takin my JVC for tracking adjustments this weekend.