HD Modulator service - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 22 Old 12-10-2001, 12:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Has anyone had any experience with DN service dept regarding the modulator lately? One of my modulators went bad and I didn't really expect DN to support it, but to my surprise they agreed to ship out a replacement unit first and then have me return the old one to them. I did purchase it from them originally which might have made a difference.

Bernhard
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 12-10-2001, 02:24 PM
Advanced Member

Did you actually receive the replacement yet? If so, great for you! I thought those things were impossible to come by.

Bert
post #3 of 22 Old 12-10-2001, 02:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

No, not yet. I just spoke to DN today and they issued an RMA number. It took him about 30 minutes to look up the part number and he did verify my previous purchase, so I am assuming he did things correctly, but I will believe it when I see it. The service rep said it should take about 5 days.

Bernhard
post #4 of 22 Old 12-10-2001, 03:18 PM

What was his name ? I wanna give him a call too.

Thanx !

Andrey
(ex-systems engineer)
post #5 of 22 Old 12-10-2001, 06:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I didn't get a name, but I am still thinking it may have been a mistake. I spoke to technical support. Anyway I will report back if in fact I receive a replacement.

Bernhard
post #6 of 22 Old 12-10-2001, 07:38 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Bernhard-

I have heard of others getting a replacement modulator but you're the first to get one without first having to send a damaged one in for exchange.
I think they just stopped selling them but still do have a supply for damage replacement.
post #7 of 22 Old 12-11-2001, 12:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Quote:
Originally posted by Don Landis
Bernhard-

I have heard of others getting a replacement modulator but you're the first to get one without first having to send a damaged one in for exchange.
I think they just stopped selling them but still do have a supply for damage replacement.
This is consistant with my conversations when my 5000 receiver was suspected of being defective. I questioned the extended warranty on the modulator. They said yes, it was covered and they do have replacements.

Now that doesn't mean you will be able to just buy one. They simply won't do that. Plus I'll bet you have to have one registured in order to get a replacement. They know who has them active.

This is a good sign the they acknowledge the 5000 system and are willing to support it.

Glimmie's HT Page
Being redone - comming soon!

post #8 of 22 Old 12-11-2001, 12:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Make sure he sends out a 5000 HD remodulator, not a 6000 HD adaptor.

If this is true, it is theoretically possible to claim RMA and not sending your own modulator back (unless it is bad). You will be charged full retail on the replacement but now you will have two at your disposal :)

Do so at your own risk though.

I for one don't understand why Dish does not keep a supply of 5000s and HD remodulators. Not many people will go that route but the hardcore HD fans. I don't buy the assumption that MPAA was on their back because of this.

What are they going to do, refuse to let them carry HBOHD?

Make HBOHD less appealing? Done that.

Refuse to let them carry SHOHD?

Make SHOHD less appealing? Done that.

Refuse to give them good quality HD PPV? Done that also.

At least Dish can charge full retail on these two pieces of hardware and maintain a loyal customer base.
post #9 of 22 Old 12-11-2001, 01:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Quote:
Originally posted by jacmyoung
If this is true, it is theoretically possible to claim RMA and not sending your own modulator back (unless it is bad). You will be charged full retail on the replacement but now you will have two at your disposal :)

Do so at your own risk though.

I for one don't understand why Dish does not keep a supply of 5000s and HD remodulators. Not many people will go that route but the hardcore HD fans. I don't buy the assumption that MPAA was on their back because of this.

You can't play games with these people like that. They can simply shut off your service and would have every legal right to if you refuse to return their property under the agreement of the exchange. Like I said, they know who has the 5000 modulators. They probably do not have an account of everyone sold but they do know who is using them. A customer with a 5000 receiver and a subscription to HD services must have a modulator.

I personally don't think the MPAA got after them. The management at E* is smart enough to see it coming so they probably took pre-emptive action. Because of that they may get some slack in keeping the existing units alive for the few customers thet rely on them. Mr. Klummer, E* VP of Engineering has publically stated he will TRY and get the legacy product owners grandfathered under any new encryption schemes.

If however this forum and others like it scheme to try and bypass their wishes, they can screw everyone involved.

Glimmie's HT Page
Being redone - comming soon!

post #10 of 22 Old 12-11-2001, 07:12 PM

....I'm one of the most recent to implement the 5000/modulator. Last week I got my remanufactured, new out of the box, system up and running. I had my very knowledgable satellite man call in to set up my new dish account. He talked to technical about the setup of the modulator-decoder channel etc. They had no clue, but they did go the manuals to help. My sat guy has all the HD toys but no modulator-when he realized the potential he asked the Tech guys if he could get one. They said no.
post #11 of 22 Old 12-12-2001, 05:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by RobertM
....I'm one of the most recent to implement the 5000/modulator. Last week I got my remanufactured, new out of the box, system up and running. I had my very knowledgable satellite man call in to set up my new dish account. He talked to technical about the setup of the modulator-decoder channel etc. They had no clue, but they did go the manuals to help. My sat guy has all the HD toys but no modulator-when he realized the potential he asked the Tech guys if he could get one. They said no.
I think the only way you can get one if if you are on record with DN that you have one, and it has a problem.

Bernhard
post #12 of 22 Old 12-14-2001, 10:27 AM

I've talk to DN for 3 hours this night trying to fix random pixelazation problem on my setup. They will send a replacement for the 5000 but not the Modulator :( I guess I should try another rep ?

Andrey
(ex-systems engineer)
post #13 of 22 Old 12-14-2001, 01:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

No it won't do any good. I called back today and they won't send out a new modulator. THey are claiming the first rep made a mistake and the modulator is no longer under warrenty and I should contact a dealer. They alway say to contact a dealer if they don't want to deal with something themselves.

Bernhard
post #14 of 22 Old 12-15-2001, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by atmosfera
I've talk to DN for 3 hours this night trying to fix random pixelazation problem on my setup. They will send a replacement for the 5000 but not the Modulator :( I guess I should try another rep ?
Just a thought-it could be your HD decoder. The Panny 50/51's are known for this. But you may already know this.
post #15 of 22 Old 12-15-2001, 01:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Let me explain the problem:

The normal message from the modulator on the analog output is:

To watch this DTV program..........

When the modulator went bad this mesage was replaced with:

The memory in your digital modulator is corrupted. Please turn off your receiver for 10 minutes for the memory to clear.

Doing so did not clear the memory.

This is how I know that in this case the moduator was at fault. As far as the TU 5x are concerned yes they are constantly having issues.

Bernhard
post #16 of 22 Old 12-15-2001, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bb1987
Let me explain the problem:

The normal message from the modulator on the analog output is:

To watch this DTV program..........

When the modulator went bad this mesage was replaced with:

The memory in your digital modulator is corrupted. Please turn off your receiver for 10 minutes for the memory to clear.

Doing so did not clear the memory.

This is how I know that in this case the moduator was at fault. As far as the TU 5x are concerned yes they are constantly having issues.

Bernhard
Ok, I've never seen that message when tuning an HD channel in analog. This may sound dumb but did you try longer than 10 minutes? You probably did with the same results. Sounds like more advanced guys on this site need to jump in here.
post #17 of 22 Old 12-15-2001, 08:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
A number of other members have reported success getting Dish to repair/exchange HD Modulators, and not that long ago. I would simply keep trying until I found a CSR that knew what I was talking about.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

post #18 of 22 Old 12-17-2001, 10:50 AM

Bernhard, did you shot off the box with power switch or did you pooled the plug? When you turn off the power units usually go in to stand by mode and still have power on it. Try to unplug the modulator all together for period of time and than try it again.
Artur.
post #19 of 22 Old 12-17-2001, 11:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by artur
Bernhard, did you shot off the box with power switch or did you pooled the plug? When you turn off the power units usually go in to stand by mode and still have power on it. Try to unplug the modulator all together for period of time and than try it again.
Artur.

I hate to admit it, but that's exactly what I did. I tried it again after a day but it still didn't work. I sent it to someone who might be able to fix it.

Bernhard
post #20 of 22 Old 12-17-2001, 02:53 PM

thanx RobertM ! I've spend the weekend trying to nail down pixels - replaced, cable, swapped LNBF etc - same results. I've seen posts by greadleak on pixels (KUDOS to greadleak !!!) What is interesting in my case random pixels are coming only on DN signal and not on OTA. I thought Panny is using the same tuner for OTA and technically when I add channel 4 from Modulator output for Panny it is the same OTA signal ! I do not know what to try else - I guess last thing would be to take it apart and reset all eproms and make sure connections are "tight"

:(

Andrey
(ex-systems engineer)
post #21 of 22 Old 12-17-2001, 05:17 PM
AVS Special Member

atmosfera, have you tried to add a inline amp to boost the modulator signal? Use an adjustable amp since to much of amplification may also kill the Panny reception.
post #22 of 22 Old 12-18-2001, 07:40 AM

yep, I've got RS 10 db inline amp not adjustable :(- works fine. Panny locks on signal right away. I guess I am to perform a "war on pixels" per gridleak as those pixels are annoying - for a lack of a better word ! What "bakes my noodle" is "Why pixels are coming only on Dish signal and not on OTA ???" Was recording The Ninth Gate yesterday and it was almost perfect but those d... pixels. Another point - sometimes pixels are visible on the screen but are not recorded on tape ! Another enigma !

Andrey
(ex-systems engineer)
Closed Thread HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page