Is it me or is Best Buy a rip off now and days? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 01-31-2008, 12:03 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I am a huge Best Buy fan, I go there almost every week. But I am starting to buy less, and less stuff there. The prices are kind of expensive. Tivo series 3 for 599 after rebate? Tivo HD for 299.99? These are retail prices, plus taxes. I try to bargain with the manager, but most of the time they are *******s. I just got a Tivo HD from buy.com for like $250.00 with no taxes and free shipping.. can't beat that. Put that on American express which extends the warranty by another year, done. Why pay full price and taxes? Unless of course you want to return things easier. I return almost 75% of stuff I buy at Best Buy because I find it for such a better price. One lame employee told me that I am taking money away from the employees because they "have to pay their people". Yeah right.. that is why there are hundreds of people in Best Buy at any given second. Idiot.
So long Best Buy.
Mo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 01-31-2008, 01:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I can't imagine the actual cost they get stuff for.

Joe.T
post #3 of 9 Old 01-31-2008, 02:29 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well to give you an idea, I used to work there and I could get movies cheaper on amazon.com than with my employee discount.

Mark up is amazing in home theater, car stereo, and any accessories (cables [$30 usb cable = $1], headphones, etc..) Lets just say a certain high end Elite plasma is half the cost with employee discount.
post #4 of 9 Old 01-31-2008, 03:29 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by ieko View Post

Well to give you an idea, I used to work there and I could get movies cheaper on amazon.com than with my employee discount.

Mark up is amazing in home theater, car stereo, and any accessories (cables [$30 usb cable = $1], headphones, etc..) Lets just say a certain high end Elite plasma is half the cost with employee discount.

Suspicions confirmed. Can you image the markup on some of the thousand dollar cables found online.

Mikey Mo
"Survived Charley, Frances & Ivan. But Jeanne got me."
Anxiously Awaiting 2014 Hurricane Season.
"OAR OR DIE"
They killed the SACD. Bring it back.

post #5 of 9 Old 02-20-2008, 05:19 PM
TNG
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I remember looking at HDMI cables at BB. 6' for around 60 to 80 bucks, and I needed at least 12'.

I ended up at a AVS sponsor Blue Jeans Cables and picked up a 12' cable for about half and the best thing about it was that the cable that I got was a better quality cable.

Also BB does not carry alot of things even online. I am a big Sharp LCD fan and when I wanted a set of a specific model and asked one of the sales people if they carried it I was told that that model wasn't a good model and the ones that they had on display from Samsung were better. Wouldn't it have been better to steer me to a different model of Sharp, try to make the sale that way, instead of bad mouthing the set that I just spent a month researching? I went online and got it for alot less.

I used to go into BB alot as well, now I go less and less.
post #6 of 9 Old 02-20-2008, 05:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 504
this is the wrong forum for this discussion.

post #7 of 9 Old 02-20-2008, 05:33 PM
Advanced Member

Well the problem we have here is it's either BB or Circuit City...the customer service in CCity just stinks right now, ever since they fired all the folks who knew anything about anything, and hired a bunch of high schoolers who get paid little and don't know much (for the most part). At least when we go into BB we get someone who will come up and ask us if we need any help finding something. In CCity we have to hunt someone down to help us out, and half the time we walk out with nothing, or just find what we want ourselves.

It's the old between and rock and a hard place scenario, I guess....

Honestly though I do get more and more DVDs and such stuff online at Amazon or even Barnes & Noble, because they ARE cheaper. The only thing I may still go into a B&M store like BB for would be a laptop or TV, and then only because I'm still the kind of person who wants to SEE the stuff I buy and have it in hand...I just don't feel comfortable ordering a TV, etc. online yet. (Though I may consider getting a laptop that way, when I finally need a new one...I just dunno.)

What happened to the good old days when customer service was #1, and they wanted to help you out, not rip you off?

DGK
post #8 of 9 Old 02-20-2008, 05:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 20
Nowadays?
post #9 of 9 Old 02-23-2008, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeKaye07 View Post

Well the problem we have here is it's either BB or Circuit City...the customer service in CCity just stinks right now, ever since they fired all the folks who knew anything about anything, and hired a bunch of high schoolers who get paid little and don't know much (for the most part). At least when we go into BB we get someone who will come up and ask us if we need any help finding something. In CCity we have to hunt someone down to help us out, and half the time we walk out with nothing, or just find what we want ourselves.

It's the old between and rock and a hard place scenario, I guess....

Honestly though I do get more and more DVDs and such stuff online at Amazon or even Barnes & Noble, because they ARE cheaper. The only thing I may still go into a B&M store like BB for would be a laptop or TV, and then only because I'm still the kind of person who wants to SEE the stuff I buy and have it in hand...I just don't feel comfortable ordering a TV, etc. online yet. (Though I may consider getting a laptop that way, when I finally need a new one...I just dunno.)

What happened to the good old days when customer service was #1, and they wanted to help you out, not rip you off?

DGK

What happened? Sloppy on-site sales too a big hit when web sales took over. So now BB and CC have to raise prices just to stay afloat. BB is satisfied with non-trained personnel. CC is satisfied with no personnel. Keep watching CNBC (in HD no less) and see how their quarterly earnings reports and stock prices turn out this year. SELL NOW!
Reply HDTV Recorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page