Motorola DCH3416 Power Issue Flashing "duI" - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 02-01-2008, 08:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just upgraded to the DCH3416 HD-DVR, been having a weird issue that neither Comcast or the posts in these forums can resolve.

When I turn the box off and leave it off for 15+ minutes, it starts flashing a message that says "du1" or "duI" - something like that. Then the box will not turn on, even using the power button on the front. Sometimes it does not flash this message, but it still will not turn on. In either case, I reset the box (unplug it) then it works as it's supposed to.

If I leave the box on but turn off the TV, eventually it will begin flashing the mysterious "du1" message then when I turn on the TV, there will be no picture, only sound. As stated above, sometime the message is not there, but the problem persists. I then cannot power down the box, etither with the remote or manually. In this case, I must reset the box and then it works perferctly.

I told all of this to Comcast and they told me to swap it for a new box. I did that today (got a brand new box still in plastic wrap), got it home and experienced the same problem(s). Comcast is sending out a techinician tomorrow, but in the meantime, anyone else experience any problems like this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2008, 06:41 PM - Thread Starter

FWIW A Comcast technician came by and checked the box out. Neither he nor anyone he called had heard of the "du1" error message before, but when he unplugged the HDMI cable, it stopped. So, his diagnosis was to swap the HDMI cable with a component one. So far, with the component cable, everything has been working as it should.
Old 02-06-2008, 03:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenny Pumpskin View Post

FWIW A Comcast technician came by and checked the box out. Neither he nor anyone he called had heard of the "du1" error message before, but when he unplugged the HDMI cable, it stopped. So, his diagnosis was to swap the HDMI cable with a component one. So far, with the component cable, everything has been working as it should.

du1 (or dul or however it appears) is the best the display can do when trying to tell you " DVI "

i would recommend investigating some settings related to HDMI vs DVI. i know that on a motorola 6412 - III if you mess with the HDMI settings you can occasionally get this to appear on the LCD display. this may have to do with HDCP.

check out

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/How_to_..._HDMI_Settings

you might find it helpful even though it may or may not apply to a DCH 3416.
Old 02-07-2008, 10:43 AM
AVS Special Member

I don't have the problem you have, but I can confirm that "du1" has something to do with HDCP. Thankfully my setup is pretty robust, and i can turn on my receiver, box, TV in nearly any order and everything syncs up right, w/ HDCP. If i turn on the box, then when the TV comes on, the box flashes "du1" real quick. Then it will do it again when I turn on the receiver(which i have the box running through, HDMI in and out). Or if i switch back to the input on my receiver that I have the box set up for, the box will again flash du1 real quick. So it has something to do with syncing up HDCP.

This confirms that obviously this will not be an issue with component since it is an analog connection and has no encryption. Channels are pushing cable co's to disable component outputs... in this day and age they want any port that outputs HD to be protected: 1394(5C), DVI/HDMI(HDCP), etc. However there aren't any consumer devices that input component HD and record it, yet... there is a thread somewhere in here about a device at CES that does just that, and re-encodes into digital on the fly. I think Hauppage will make it.

I turn my box off(I know I know, you shouldn't... but it does stop the buffering of channels, no matter what you tell me, I know this is true) and have never had this issue.
Old 02-13-2008, 03:10 PM

My dch3416 box is doing the exact same thing with my new Plasma TV.
Old 07-13-2012, 08:23 PM

just bought a new pioneer vsx-822 reciever with all HDMI connections. as soon as i went to HDMI from the motorola 3616 dvr to my reciever had the the same problem with the DUI code and no signal. the only way i can resolve it is to change the input on my tv and wait for awhile then change the input back to where it was then i have video and audio
Old 07-14-2012, 11:21 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Does the problem occur if there is no receiver between the Motorola STB and the TV?
Are there any other units connected to the STB?
Also see the following link:

http://www.fixya.com/support/t5051481-looking_meaning_error_code_ced