I'm Perfectly Content With my Panasonic STB; Why Do I Need a 169Time DTC100? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 12-11-2001, 10:58 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
1) PQ.

I have discovered that converting the RGB output of the DTC100 to component via the Audio Authority 9A60 results in picture quality that is significantly improved in comparison with the Panasonic TU-DST5x STBs.
More accurate and better saturated color.
Virtual absence of video noise.

Believe me people, this is NOT subtle.
The PQ of all of your Panny recorded DVHS tapes is transformed!
All HD signals sources look MUCH better through the DTC100.

2) Two 8vsb RF inputs.

Great for folks who input not only from DISH 5000 but from OTA or ExpressVu as well. or folks who have more than one DISH 5000.
Along with DirecTV HD that makes three three seperate HD sources fed into a single box.

3) Dual firewire ports.

This is just a wonderful advantage. Monitor as you dub or tape to two at once.
Connect one port directly to a 1000 and second to a switchable hub which has a second 1000 and Panny STB or Uma (I use the JVC 777 AV Selector with three defeatable firewire ports).

4) No Audio Glitches

Absence of pesky audio dropouts that have heretofore necessitated use of the Technics SH-AC500D Dolby Digital Decoder.
Now you can use any decoder you like.

5) There are several other advantages to the DTC100 as well, but I will let others comment on those (eg OTA performance, mapping, etc).

The fact that those who purchase the mod now will have first crack at DirecTV HD recording goes without saying.

But even if that watershed development never pans out, the 169Time modded DTC100 is simply a MUST HAVE item for any serious HD videotape collector.

"Dammit Jim, I'm a doctor not an engineer."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-12-2001, 10:47 AM
rrg
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally posted by tmitchmd
I have discovered that converting the RGB output of the DTC100 to component via the Audio Authority 9A60 results in picture quality that is significantly improved in comparison with the Panasonic TU-DST5x STBs.
Presumably the improvement comes from the MPEG-2 decoder in the DTC-100, and the AA transcoder is irrelevant--at least I hope so. My projector takes only RGB and I should be receiving my modified DTC-100 back from 169Time in the next couple of days.

I also believe that the DTC-100 is a more reliable and robust STB than the Panasonic. I'm weary (I know, I've used that word before) of all the problems I've seen with this combo. All but one of my combos is currently exhibiting one or more problems. Sometimes it's the VCR's fault, but in some cases it's definitely the STB (random digital noise and breakup, intermittent antenna input, etc.)

I'm getting way ahead of myself here, but if this mod works as well as I hope it will, I'll strongly consider replacing all the Panasonic STBs with modified DTC-100s.

Ron Gomes
Old 12-12-2001, 12:46 PM
AVS Special Member

The reason I wanted the DTC100 is I wanted to go straight out RGB to my projector without any other convertors. It has been working SUPER. My issues now are my HD1000 deck.

Let us know how yours work for you.

dave
Old 12-12-2001, 12:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tmitchmd
1) PQ.

Does anyone have a comparison of the DTC100 playback vs the direct output of the JVC 30000(u)??

Also, I know people have asked about 169time modifying other boxes - what about the Panasonic HD DIRECTV box? Is that common out there? The RCA is SO ugly! :)

Cheers!
DAve.
Old 12-12-2001, 01:24 PM
AVS Special Member

But it works. I know of no plans.

dave
Old 12-12-2001, 02:46 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Liked: 168
Quote:
1) PQ.

Believe me people, this is NOT subtle.
The PQ of all of your Panny recorded DVHS tapes is transformed!
All HD signals sources look MUCH better through the DTC100.
Be careful about extrapolating your experience to all systems.

When I first got my Panny record system installed I was quite disappointed in the PQ. I had to go to RGBHV off the Panny to get to my projector. I used my DTC as my HDTV quality standard of reference as it was always quite good. It took quite a bit of tweaking of the sync to get the DST-50 to the Electrohome Projector through the extron to make it work properly. In the end I was able to get the PQ, whether it came from the DTC-100 HBO HD channel 509, or the DishNetwork channel or from my PVHD1000 recording of that same program all to have the exact same PQ including color temperature. But now the PQ is identical in all respects. Everything was in the sync quality and timing references to make that happen. Also had some help from Extron.

I would find it very difficult to justify the purchase of the 169Time modifications on this basis of improving my PQ, or being able to have choices of decoder. For me the game has not changed. Do what was claimed a year ago, ie make it record DirecTV HDTV channels to the PVHD1000 and I'm a candidate. If not that then I'm still going to wait.
Old 12-12-2001, 03:42 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally posted by Don Landis

Be careful about extrapolating your experience to all systems.

I would find it very difficult to justify the purchase of the 169Time modifications on this basis of improving my PQ, or being able to have choices of decoder.
For D-ILA users, my experience was component video just doesn't yield an acceptable picture at all. So the upgrade in this sense was worth it.

Even the JVC 30000 deck running through an component to RGB converter still doesn't match the DTC-100/Panny combo. I'm waiting for the Panny DST box to be returned from service (F connector broke off), and I'll test it to make sure it isn't the JVC deck isn't the problem.

If the Panny DST combo doesn't yield an identical picture, then at least for D-ILA users, I'd suggest obtaining the 169time unit. If for nothing else to use as an component transcoder that does a kick ass job.

Again, my comments are for D-ILA users/experience only, and don't reflect LCD/CRT/etc. projectors or display units.

-Brian

-> No longer looking for Hi-Vision LDs <-

(I buried that format finally)

www.16cylinder.com