Movie & Music Masters: KEF Ci200RR THX In-Ceiling Speaker Review - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes

post #31 of 40 Old 03-16-2017, 12:44 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by doublewing11 View Post

After a year of experimentation, searching, test driving.....................a very long and laborious process...............I finally installed four KEF Ci200rr's in my theater room for Atmos heights. Because of dispersion characteristics, single point source ie. coaxial.................I decided this was best solution for my room and application ....................... couldn't be happier with my KEF installation.. Process was exhaustive but am reaping benefits using KEF Ci200rr's for Atmos ceiling heights.

So much has been made about "timbre matching" thus causing hesitation from onset regarding my final selection. In an experiment, I swapped out my L/R mains which are Triad Gold LCR's and used KEF Ci200rr's in backer boxes while leaving one Triad Gold LCR for center speaker. Using my backer boxes built for the Ci200rr's, I set boxes precisely where the left and right Triad Gold LCR's were replaced. I calibrated using XT32 in a Marantz 8802a........ played Dolby Atmos demo disc and several snippet's from current Atmos Blueray material while formulating an opinion on what I heard................

Well.............after this little experiment...............I was floored to say the least. These speakers filled room extremely well and pans from the front L/R KEF Ci200rr's and Triad Gold LCR center showed no issues with "timbre matching" regarding front pans. Needless to say, I was shocked and pleased all at the same time. These KEF Ci200rr's being used as L/R mains were dynamic, clean and just as capable as my Triad Gold LCR center channel.

Definitely a product to be reconsidered for Atmos in-ceiling heights though I'm using them on-ceiling with backer boxes.

BTW, backer boxes are KEF recommended 0.71 cubic ft dampen with acoustic form and stuffing. Measurement's indicate F3 around 60 Hz but crossover to subs are all at 80 Hz.
Can I build boxes like this for the Ci200RR-THX's and mount them on my wall and use them as surrounds and rears? KefDirect would that work? Doublewing, on the cut out circle of the box is that like rubber? do you have any dimensions or plans for these boxes you could share? THANKS!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 40 Old 03-22-2017, 06:41 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erok3848 View Post
Can I build boxes like this for the Ci200RR-THX's and mount them on my wall and use them as surrounds and rears? KefDirect would that work? Doublewing, on the cut out circle of the box is that like rubber? do you have any dimensions or plans for these boxes you could share? THANKS!
Hi Erok3848,
You can put the Ci200RR- THX in boxes. Please make sure the boxes are completely sealed. You can see the volume necessary for getting proper performance out the speakers from the link below.

http://www.kef.com/uploads/files/en/...net_Volume.pdf

Sincerely,
KEF Direct

For more information please visit KEFDirect.com
post #33 of 40 Old 04-07-2017, 02:24 AM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Do you make Ci160RR-THX? If so - why not?!

post #34 of 40 Old 04-22-2017, 10:00 AM
wse
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 2200 Post(s)
Liked: 805
Question Open baffle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KefDirect View Post
Hi Erok3848, You can put the Ci200RR- THX in boxes. Please make sure the boxes are completely sealed. You can see the volume necessary for getting proper performance out the speakers from the link below.

http://www.kef.com/uploads/files/en/...net_Volume.pdf

Sincerely,
KEF Direct
I am thinking of building them in an open baffle like that and cross them over at 80HZ for surround and back?

https://de.pinterest.com/pin/304063412316697599/

Would that work?
post #35 of 40 Old 04-23-2017, 04:53 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 2
I am trying to decide between CI200QR and CI200RR for the 4 atmos speakers in the ceiling. I have heard the RRs and they are spectacular. I have not heard the QRs. Has anyone done a back to back comparison?
post #36 of 40 Old 04-24-2017, 04:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1475 Post(s)
Liked: 784
I haven't but can't imagine the Ci200QR would be nearly as good. They are completely different size tweeters and a different construction of the crossover. Consider that if you were to "save money" going with the far less costly speaker (especially after hearing the better one) you could easily end up spending twice if you weren't satisfied.

KEF R500, R200C, R100, SVS SB2000 sub, NAD T758 receiver, Pro-Ject RPM1 TT w/ Ortofon 2M Red, Bluesound Vault2, Sony BDP-S480 BlueRay player, Samsung UN55JU6500F 4K LED TV, KEF M500 headphones, Sony CDP-CE500 CD changer.
post #37 of 40 Old 04-24-2017, 08:40 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wse View Post
I am thinking of building them in an open baffle like that and cross them over at 80HZ for surround and back?

https://de.pinterest.com/pin/304063412316697599/

Would that work?
Hi Wse,
The Ci200RR is designed to work in a sealed enclosure (the wall becomes the enclosure). You can try it with an open baffle and see if you like the set up. I suspect the bass and mid bass will not sound good in an open baffle.

Sincerely,
KEF Direct

post #38 of 40 Old 04-26-2017, 02:20 PM
wse
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 2200 Post(s)
Liked: 805
Question Material thickness for the installation brackets for the Ci200RR-THX

Quote:
Originally Posted by KefDirect View Post
Hi Wse,
The Ci200RR is designed to work in a sealed enclosure (the wall becomes the enclosure). You can try it with an open baffle and see if you like the set up. I suspect the bass and mid bass will not sound good in an open baffle. Sincerely, KEF Direct
Can you please tell me what is the compatible wall Material thickness for the installation brackets for the Ci200RR-THX, I can’t find it on your website?

My walls are 2” thick! Also I might try them as an open Baffle design with 2" thick solid walnut wood
post #39 of 40 Old 04-28-2017, 10:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1475 Post(s)
Liked: 784
Quote:
Can you please tell me what is the compatible wall Material thickness for the installation brackets for the Ci200RR-THX, I can’t find it on your website?

My walls are 2” thick! Also I might try them as an open Baffle design with 2" thick solid walnut wood
You only have two inch thick walls?? Wow, that's thin. I can imagine the whole wall reverberating at low frequencies.

KEF R500, R200C, R100, SVS SB2000 sub, NAD T758 receiver, Pro-Ject RPM1 TT w/ Ortofon 2M Red, Bluesound Vault2, Sony BDP-S480 BlueRay player, Samsung UN55JU6500F 4K LED TV, KEF M500 headphones, Sony CDP-CE500 CD changer.
post #40 of 40 Old 05-02-2017, 10:15 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Hi Wse,
Unfortunately the Ci200RR-THX could not accommodate a thickness as great as that, it can only open about 1.5” for the mounting.

The only speaker that would offer this kind of mounting ability would be the Ci200ER. Because it does not have a crossover cover built onto the back of the speaker the dog leg mounting arm is free to extend further back. You would need to replace the screw with a longer screw that tightens the dog leg but replacement screws should readily be available at any hardware store.

Sincerely,
KEF Direct

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply KEF Music Lounge

Tags
dolby atmos , Kef , kef ci200rr-thx , kef music , thx , thx ultra 2

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page