Movie & Music Masters: KEF Ci200RR THX In-Ceiling Speaker Review - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes

post #1 of 37 Old 09-08-2015, 07:50 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Movie & Music Masters: KEF Ci200RR THX In-Ceiling Speaker Review

Michael Palmer from HighDefDigest.com installed and reviewed the KEF Ci200RR-THX in-ceiling speaker.

I honestly had no idea what I was missing until I was no longer missing it. My first demo when rewiring or setting up a new Atmos configuration is a Dolby Atmos Demo Blu-ray. In addition to trailers and short films, it also includes the Enrique Iglesias music video for 'Bailando'. A catchy tune, for sure, but in Atmos, it's remarkable. Instruments and voices -- as individual objects -- pop up in random speakers overhead and in the surrounds. As a whole, it's a fun presentation, but I also like to stand close to each speaker to see what that amplified-channel is doing. The moment I fired up 'Bailando' was revelatory for this system. Much more weight and power (and this was before I started tweaking crossovers and other settings). The upgrade was instantaneous and smile-inducing.

Read the full review at HighDefDigest.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 Old 09-12-2015, 02:15 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 379 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by KefDirect View Post

Michael Palmer from HighDefDigest.com installed and reviewed the KEF Ci200RR-THX in-ceiling speaker.

I honestly had no idea what I was missing until I was no longer missing it. My first demo when rewiring or setting up a new Atmos configuration is a Dolby Atmos Demo Blu-ray. In addition to trailers and short films, it also includes the Enrique Iglesias music video for 'Bailando'. A catchy tune, for sure, but in Atmos, it's remarkable. Instruments and voices -- as individual objects -- pop up in random speakers overhead and in the surrounds. As a whole, it's a fun presentation, but I also like to stand close to each speaker to see what that amplified-channel is doing. The moment I fired up 'Bailando' was revelatory for this system. Much more weight and power (and this was before I started tweaking crossovers and other settings). The upgrade was instantaneous and smile-inducing.

Read the full review at HighDefDigest.com
After reading that amazing review you gave, I ordered a pair of those, I'm going in wall for atmos 5.1.4 or 7.1.2, maybe a can give a few suggestions.

So far I ordered
Kef ci200rr thx ultra 2 for top middle/top fronts
Klipsch cdt:5800 for rear height/ or in ceiling surround back

Klipsch 6504 thx ultra for front left/right
Klipsch S 7800 thx ultra 2 for surrounds

My question is where did you place your kefs in comparison to where you main seating position? Where they directly overhead, or slightly behind or slightly in front....what do you think of 7.1.2 in comparison to 5.1.4?
post #3 of 37 Old 09-14-2015, 01:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultraflexed View Post
After reading that amazing review you gave, I ordered a pair of those, I'm going in wall for atmos 5.1.4 or 7.1.2, maybe a can give a few suggestions.

So far I ordered
Kef ci200rr thx ultra 2 for top middle/top fronts
Klipsch cdt:5800 for rear height/ or in ceiling surround back

Klipsch 6504 thx ultra for front left/right
Klipsch S 7800 thx ultra 2 for surrounds

My question is where did you place your kefs in comparison to where you main seating position? Where they directly overhead, or slightly behind or slightly in front....what do you think of 7.1.2 in comparison to 5.1.4?
Hi, ultraflexed. Thanks so much for reading and best of luck with your new Atmos cinema. It's a wonderful upgrade for home cinema and audio enthusiasts!

For my review, I used a 7.1.4 Dolby Atmos configuration similar to the one pictured at the bottom of this page: http://www.dolby.com/us/en/guide/dol...-4-setups.html IE, I added four in-ceiling speakers to a traditional 7.1 speaker system. One pair of Ci200RR-THX speakers was placed slightly ahead of the main listening position, while the second was behind main listening position about halfway between that position and back-surround channels. Either way, that Dolby guide is pretty good way to approach 7.1.4, which is my favorite Dolby Atmos configuration thus far.

Regarding 5.1.4 vs. 7.1.2, I think that's going to depend on each listener. I personally love my side surrounds, which is why I made the push the 7.1.4.

If 7.1.4 is not an option, 7.1.2 and 5.1.4 are going to each have their benefits and drawbacks. The 5.1.4 system is going to have more accuracy for panning Atmos and DTS:X height objects, while a 7.1.2 system is going to be better with ear-level sound cues. I'm currently reviewing the Klipsch Reference Premiere Dolby Atmos speakers in a 5.1.2 configuration, which taught me two things: 1) two overhead speakers can do a great job with Atmos, but I prefer four overhead speakers for maximum impact. 2) If you only have 5 ear-leavel speakers, I prefer to place the two rear surrounds on the sides and behind the listening position by about 45 degrees (ala this image from Onkyo: http://res.cloudinary.com/hrscywv4p/...27ykxkqd4j.jpg). Some 5.1.4 systems, particularly those with Dolby Atmos up-firing speakers, place the rear channels behind the listeners (ala the second image here: https://www.kefdirect.com/index.php/...dule-pair.html), but -- for me -- this creates a hole in the sides.

Looking closer at your comment, it appears as though you might not have a back wall in which to place speakers since you need to go in-cieling for "back surround" OR "rear height". If that's correct, maybe the compromise is to wire your ceiling with one pair in front of the listener, and one pair behind, then play with your setup, toggling those CDT 5800s between "back surround" and "rear height" to see what you prefer. I would bet, in that configuration, you'd want those rear height speakers to be "back surround" channels rather than height because they would be more active. Then you could KEFs as "front height channels" rather than "middle" (directly over the listening position). And, if you're ever able to add true ear-level "back surrounds", the others could easily become rear height channels.

Regardless, please make sure to consult with your installer (or other forum members) because they will likely know more than me about your specific environment and needs. Good luck!

Best regards,
Michael
(submitted via KEFDirect)

post #4 of 37 Old 09-22-2015, 03:10 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 379 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Hi, ultraflexed. Thanks so much for reading and best of luck with your new Atmos cinema. It's a wonderful upgrade for home cinema and audio enthusiasts!

For my review, I used a 7.1.4 Dolby Atmos configuration similar to the one pictured at the bottom of this page: http://www.dolby.com/us/en/guide/dol...-4-setups.html IE, I added four in-ceiling speakers to a traditional 7.1 speaker system. One pair of Ci200RR-THX speakers was placed slightly ahead of the main listening position, while the second was behind main listening position about halfway between that position and back-surround channels. Either way, that Dolby guide is pretty good way to approach 7.1.4, which is my favorite Dolby Atmos configuration thus far.

Regarding 5.1.4 vs. 7.1.2, I think that's going to depend on each listener. I personally love my side surrounds, which is why I made the push the 7.1.4.

If 7.1.4 is not an option, 7.1.2 and 5.1.4 are going to each have their benefits and drawbacks. The 5.1.4 system is going to have more accuracy for panning Atmos and DTS:X height objects, while a 7.1.2 system is going to be better with ear-level sound cues. I'm currently reviewing the Klipsch Reference Premiere Dolby Atmos speakers in a 5.1.2 configuration, which taught me two things: 1) two overhead speakers can do a great job with Atmos, but I prefer four overhead speakers for maximum impact. 2) If you only have 5 ear-leavel speakers, I prefer to place the two rear surrounds on the sides and behind the listening position by about 45 degrees (ala this image from Onkyo: http://res.cloudinary.com/hrscywv4p/...27ykxkqd4j.jpg). Some 5.1.4 systems, particularly those with Dolby Atmos up-firing speakers, place the rear channels behind the listeners (ala the second image here: https://www.kefdirect.com/index.php/...dule-pair.html), but -- for me -- this creates a hole in the sides.

Looking closer at your comment, it appears as though you might not have a back wall in which to place speakers since you need to go in-cieling for "back surround" OR "rear height". If that's correct, maybe the compromise is to wire your ceiling with one pair in front of the listener, and one pair behind, then play with your setup, toggling those CDT 5800s between "back surround" and "rear height" to see what you prefer. I would bet, in that configuration, you'd want those rear height speakers to be "back surround" channels rather than height because they would be more active. Then you could KEFs as "front height channels" rather than "middle" (directly over the listening position). And, if you're ever able to add true ear-level "back surrounds", the others could easily become rear height channels.

Regardless, please make sure to consult with your installer (or other forum members) because they will likely know more than me about your specific environment and needs. Good luck!

Best regards,
Michael
(submitted via KEFDirect)
Thanks for all the info, although I did order a pair of the kef's ci200rr thx in ceiling, my order got screwed up and my money was refunded, which sucked because I got a really really good deal on them.
post #5 of 37 Old 09-27-2015, 03:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked: 946

After a year of experimentation, searching, test driving.....................a very long and laborious process...............I finally installed four KEF Ci200rr's in my theater room for Atmos heights. Because of dispersion characteristics, single point source ie. coaxial.................I decided this was best solution for my room and application ....................... couldn't be happier with my KEF installation.. Process was exhaustive but am reaping benefits using KEF Ci200rr's for Atmos ceiling heights.

So much has been made about "timbre matching" thus causing hesitation from onset regarding my final selection. In an experiment, I swapped out my L/R mains which are Triad Gold LCR's and used KEF Ci200rr's in backer boxes while leaving one Triad Gold LCR for center speaker. Using my backer boxes built for the Ci200rr's, I set boxes precisely where the left and right Triad Gold LCR's were replaced. I calibrated using XT32 in a Marantz 8802a........ played Dolby Atmos demo disc and several snippet's from current Atmos Blueray material while formulating an opinion on what I heard................

Well.............after this little experiment...............I was floored to say the least. These speakers filled room extremely well and pans from the front L/R KEF Ci200rr's and Triad Gold LCR center showed no issues with "timbre matching" regarding front pans. Needless to say, I was shocked and pleased all at the same time. These KEF Ci200rr's being used as L/R mains were dynamic, clean and just as capable as my Triad Gold LCR center channel.

Definitely a product to be reconsidered for Atmos in-ceiling heights though I'm using them on-ceiling with backer boxes.

BTW, backer boxes are KEF recommended 0.71 cubic ft dampen with acoustic form and stuffing. Measurement's indicate F3 around 60 Hz but crossover to subs are all at 80 Hz.
post #6 of 37 Old 11-29-2015, 06:14 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Doubltwing11, great looking theater. I too am planning on using CI200RR-thx for Dolby Atmos ceiling speakers. Also planning on using them for all the surround and back speakers.

So I would be most interested to know how you got your back boxes constructed for them. Did you do them yourself? Or did you get a contractor to do them for you ? If you used a contractor, I'd like to know who it was. In either case, I would love to see plans for the boxes to get the precise 0.71 cubic feet as recommended by KEF.

Brian
post #7 of 37 Old 11-30-2015, 11:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1330 Post(s)
Liked: 718
Quick question for the KEF Direct rep regarding these Ci200RR and Ci200QR speakers.

I was visiting my favorite KEF retailer and they had a short stack of the Ci200QR speakers sitting there, awaiting installation in one of their demo rooms as part of an Atmos array. Telling me they were putting (3) of the Ci3160RL-THX speakers in the front wall, I commented that the Ci200RR would seem a closer timbre than the Ci200QR speakers. They said that the Ci200QR were chosen because there "essentially the speakers from the Reference series", without a box.

In looking at the two versions and considering your nomenclature and KEF Direct pricing structure, it seems that the Ci200RR-THX is more akin to the standard R series speaker, while the Ci200QR would be better matched with the Q series loudspeaker line. Further, I would consider the CixxxCR series to be the proper association for the C series standard loudspeakers. I can't really imagine any in-ceiling or in-wall speaker being closely associated with the Reference loudspeakers.

Who is closer to correct? Is there no clear lineage?
post #8 of 37 Old 12-02-2015, 05:54 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenM10759 View Post
Quick question for the KEF Direct rep regarding these Ci200RR and Ci200QR speakers.

I was visiting my favorite KEF retailer and they had a short stack of the Ci200QR speakers sitting there, awaiting installation in one of their demo rooms as part of an Atmos array. Telling me they were putting (3) of the Ci3160RL-THX speakers in the front wall, I commented that the Ci200RR would seem a closer timbre than the Ci200QR speakers. They said that the Ci200QR were chosen because there "essentially the speakers from the Reference series", without a box.

In looking at the two versions and considering your nomenclature and KEF Direct pricing structure, it seems that the Ci200RR-THX is more akin to the standard R series speaker, while the Ci200QR would be better matched with the Q series loudspeaker line. Further, I would consider the CixxxCR series to be the proper association for the C series standard loudspeakers. I can't really imagine any in-ceiling or in-wall speaker being closely associated with the Reference loudspeakers.

Who is closer to correct? Is there no clear lineage?
Hi Ken,
You are correct in your assesment of the model numbers as it applies to our in-wall/in-ceiling offering. While the CixxxCR is part of the C Series, the CixxxQR is part of the Q Series and the CixxxRR is part of the R Series, there is a difference with the Ci200RR-THX. The main difference is the Ci200RR is actually the Q900 Uni-Q driver that is tweaked to the THX standard. That means a larger magnet, bigger tweeter and a few other enhancements that we made.

Sincerely,

KEF Direct
KenM10759 likes this.
post #9 of 37 Old 02-06-2016, 02:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked: 946
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianXBoru View Post
Doubltwing11, great looking theater. I too am planning on using CI200RR-thx for Dolby Atmos ceiling speakers. Also planning on using them for all the surround and back speakers.

So I would be most interested to know how you got your back boxes constructed for them. Did you do them yourself? Or did you get a contractor to do them for you ? If you used a contractor, I'd like to know who it was. In either case, I would love to see plans for the boxes to get the precise 0.71 cubic feet as recommended by KEF.

Brian
I designed boxes myself based on Kef engineering specs...............sent to friend who has a CNC machine and constructed boxes myself. I used Kef spec-ed baffle cutout but fit was tight with speaker. Had to widen with jig saw.
post #10 of 37 Old 05-03-2016, 10:42 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quick question for the KEF Direct rep regarding the Ci200RR and the CI3160RL-THX.

Can these be supplied with original KEF back boxes? In some pictures of the CI3160RL-THX, it seems there is a black back box?
post #11 of 37 Old 05-09-2016, 06:47 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by vetting View Post
Quick question for the KEF Direct rep regarding the Ci200RR and the CI3160RL-THX.

Can these be supplied with original KEF back boxes? In some pictures of the CI3160RL-THX, it seems there is a black back box?
Hi,
The Ci3160RL doesn't come with a back box. The previous speaker, the Ci9000, did come with a back box. We do have recommendation on volume of space between the studs. The minimum box volume we recommend is 0.53 cubic feet. The ideal box volume we recommend is 1.06 cubic feet.
The Ci200RR doesn't come with a back box. The minimum box volume we recommend is 0.35 cubic feet. The ideal box volume we recommend is 0.71 cubic feet.

Sincerely,
KEF Direct
post #12 of 37 Old 05-21-2016, 03:30 PM
wse
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 2159 Post(s)
Liked: 786
Quote:
Hi, The Ci3160RL doesn't come with a back box. The previous speaker, the Ci9000, did come with a back box. We do have recommendation on volume of space between the studs. The minimum box volume we recommend is 0.53 cubic feet. The ideal box volume we recommend is 1.06 cubic feet. The Ci200RR doesn't come with a back box. The minimum box volume we recommend is 0.35 cubic feet. The ideal box volume we recommend is 0.71 cubic feet.

Sincerely,
KEF Direct
It looks like they are not on sale any more what's up with that? An update?

Ci200RR-THX
post #13 of 37 Old 05-21-2016, 08:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I see the Ci200RR-THX on the KEF USA website, but no longer shown of the KEF Direct website. Is this because they can only be bought through an authorized dealer? Isn't KEF Direct one of them??

KEF R500, R200C, R100, SVS SB2000 sub, NAD T758 receiver, Pro-Ject RPM1 TT w/ Sumiko Pearl, Bluesound Vault2, Sony BDP-S480 BlueRay player, Samsung UN55JU6500F 4K LED TV, KEF M500 headphones, Sony CDP-CE500 CD changer.
post #14 of 37 Old 05-24-2016, 11:35 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wse View Post
It looks like they are not on sale any more what's up with that? An update?

Ci200RR-THX
Hi Wse,
The Ci200RR-THX is still available and can be purchased. For the moment you can order them by visiting a local KEF retailer or calling into 877-271-9355.

It will be back up on KEFDirect soon.

Sincerely,

KEFDirect
KenM10759 likes this.
post #15 of 37 Old 05-24-2016, 02:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Hi Wse,
The Ci200RR-THX is still available and can be purchased. For the moment you can order them by visiting a local KEF retailer or calling into 877-271-9355.

It will be back up on KEFDirect soon.

Sincerely,

KEFDirect
I figured it was just a coding error or something like that. It's just too good of a product to stop making and selling them.

KEF R500, R200C, R100, SVS SB2000 sub, NAD T758 receiver, Pro-Ject RPM1 TT w/ Sumiko Pearl, Bluesound Vault2, Sony BDP-S480 BlueRay player, Samsung UN55JU6500F 4K LED TV, KEF M500 headphones, Sony CDP-CE500 CD changer.
post #16 of 37 Old 05-25-2016, 06:07 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I figured it was just a coding error or something like that. It's just too good of a product to stop making and selling them.
Hi KenM10759,
It was not a coding error. We removed it for an internal reason.

Sincerely,

KEF Direct
post #17 of 37 Old 05-25-2016, 02:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Internal reason? To a potential customer like me, that would come across as "we don't want to sell them direct anymore."

Good luck.

post #18 of 37 Old 07-06-2016, 01:56 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi,
a short question: which CI ceiling speaker will suit the best soundwise to the KEF LS 50?
Thanks in advance!
post #19 of 37 Old 07-06-2016, 06:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

When you state "will suit" do you mean you would be using ceiling speakers in addition to LS50's?

I would think that given the high quality nature of the LS50 you would be best to stick with the KEF ceiling speakers which have the "RR" suffix. Those appear to be only the one which is the feature article in this thread, the Ci200RR-THX.

They no longer show on KEF Direct, but are available. A pair of them will cost about what a pair of LS50's cost, but if you want the best....

post #20 of 37 Old 07-07-2016, 02:38 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
When you state "will suit" do you mean you would be using ceiling speakers in addition to LS50's?

I would think that given the high quality nature of the LS50 you would be best to stick with the KEF ceiling speakers which have the "RR" suffix. Those appear to be only the one which is the feature article in this thread, the Ci200RR-THX.

They no longer show on KEF Direct, but are available. A pair of them will cost about what a pair of LS50's cost, but if you want the best....
This is what I thought, too. Thank you very much for your advice!! I'm planning to build a LS 50 multichannel system, but a LS 50 ceiling mount would be difficult😉 Here in Germany you can still order the CI 200rr.
Thanks again for your helpful advice!!
post #21 of 37 Old 09-19-2016, 01:38 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Bass performance of the Ci200RR-THX

I plan on getting these installed in my living area (just these, no in-walls. Also I have high ceiling- 18 feet). Primary objective is listening to music and secondary is TV. Will it be a good fit?
What is the bass performance of this like. Do I need to add subwoofer? Are there matching subwoofers I can add with these (in wall or in ceiling)
post #22 of 37 Old 09-19-2016, 02:41 PM

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 135
The Ci200RRs sound great and are perfect for in-wall installations. If you're space permits it, I'd rather have floorstanding speakers. If not, you can't get any better than the Ci200RRs.

I'd highly recommend a subwoofer to go with these. There are lots of great choices out there. I've had both PSA and SVS subwoofers and they've been great and both have unbeatable customer service. Call one of them and they can recommend a subwoofer to best meet your needs. Keep in mind that two or more subwoofers are best if you can afford it for best bass performance. If you need in-wall or in-ceiling, I'm uncertain as to which direction to point you as I'm not familiar with those.
KenM10759 likes this.

Running 7.2.4 with Denon AVR-X4300W, ATI 2005 and 1807 Amplifiers
Kef Reference 203 Mains, 202c Center, 201 Surrounds, Ci200RR-THX Top Rears, Q300 Front Heights, E301 Rear Surrounds, Power Sound Audio PSA dual S3600i Subwoofers,
GIK Acoustics
Treatments, Sony VPL-HW30ES Projector, Carada Criterion 100" Projection Screen, Panasonic Blu-Ray, Xbox One
post #23 of 37 Old 09-19-2016, 04:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bratk View Post
I plan on getting these installed in my living area (just these, no in-walls. Also I have high ceiling- 18 feet). Primary objective is listening to music and secondary is TV. Will it be a good fit?
What is the bass performance of this like. Do I need to add subwoofer? Are there matching subwoofers I can add with these (in wall or in ceiling)
They are GREAT speakers but for most movies and a lot of today's music you would still need a subwoofer. While a freestanding powered subwoofer is always best, KEF does have some new products for in-wall (or in ceiling if it's REALLY sturdy.)

Check this page, anything with the "b" suffix is considered a subwoofer. Pay close attention, some require getting the matched amp.

http://us.kef.com/architectural-spea...eakers/in-wall

post #24 of 37 Old 09-20-2016, 01:05 AM

Thanks KenM10759 and zorax2. I will definitely go with sub woofers then. Will decide between free standing vs in walls. A store owner is arranging a demo of these speakers for me , cant wait for that.

My only major concern now is the 18 feet ceiling. The living room is 15 feet by 15 feet (18 inches high). The living room also leads to the kitchen and dining area which is at 9 feet ceiling (14 feet by 24 feet). I plan on having 3 or 4 speakers in the living area and 2 in the kitchen-dining. What thoughts do you guys have about the effect of these speakers at 18 feet ceiling and the number of them I had in mind (too many or too less?)

Also recommendation for a matching receiver/amp?
post #25 of 37 Old 09-20-2016, 10:27 AM

Quote:
They are GREAT speakers but for most movies and a lot of today's music you would still need a subwoofer. While a freestanding powered subwoofer is always best, KEF does have some new products for in-wall (or in ceiling if it's REALLY sturdy.)

Check this page, anything with the "b" suffix is considered a subwoofer. Pay close attention, some require getting the matched amp.

http://us.kef.com/architectural-spea...eakers/in-wall
Quote:
Originally Posted by zorax2 View Post
The Ci200RRs sound great and are perfect for in-wall installations. If you're space permits it, I'd rather have floorstanding speakers. If not, you can't get any better than the Ci200RRs.

I'd highly recommend a subwoofer to go with these. There are lots of great choices out there. I've had both PSA and SVS subwoofers and they've been great and both have unbeatable customer service. Call one of them and they can recommend a subwoofer to best meet your needs. Keep in mind that two or more subwoofers are best if you can afford it for best bass performance. If you need in-wall or in-ceiling, I'm uncertain as to which direction to point you as I'm not familiar with those.
Thanks KenM10759 and zorax2. I will definitely go with sub woofers then. Will decide between free standing vs in walls. A store owner is arranging a demo of these speakers for me , cant wait for that.

My only major concern now is the 18 feet ceiling. The living room is 15 feet by 15 feet (18 inches high). The living room also leads to the kitchen and dining area which is at 9 feet ceiling (14 feet by 24 feet). I plan on having 3 or 4 speakers in the living area and 2 in the kitchen-dining. What thoughts do you guys have about the effect of these speakers at 18 feet ceiling and the number of them I had in mind (too many or too less?)

Also recommendation for a matching receiver/amp?
post #26 of 37 Old 09-20-2016, 10:53 AM

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 135
One factor for the number of speakers may be the volume you intend to listen at. At high volumes, you will get a boost in capability with more speakers. If listening at moderate to low volumes, 2 to 4 speakers should be sufficient. The 18' ceiling height is the big variable as typical listening distances are often 8 to 12' and your seating positions will likely be farther away. The SPL calculator (http://www.acousticfrontiers.com/2013322spl-calculator/) may be helpful for you if you are curious about requirements for listening at high volumes. I'm more of a home theater person so I'm not sure what I'd do for someone like you who primarily listens to music. I've got 1 or 2 in-ceiling speakers in several rooms for our whole home audio system which is just fine for us as we don't listen to music at high volumes nor do critical listening to music. We're using much less capable in-ceiling speakers for that and I'm happy with them and wouldn't have spent the big bucks for the Ci200RR for those.

Also, related to critical listening, the in-ceiling speakers will lose the stereo separation at that height with Uni-Q drivers wide dispersion. You're probably aware of that though.

I've enjoyed Denon, Pioneer and Marantz AVRs and pre-pros. I'm happy with my ATI amps as well. Lots of choices depending on your budget and your end goals.

Running 7.2.4 with Denon AVR-X4300W, ATI 2005 and 1807 Amplifiers
Kef Reference 203 Mains, 202c Center, 201 Surrounds, Ci200RR-THX Top Rears, Q300 Front Heights, E301 Rear Surrounds, Power Sound Audio PSA dual S3600i Subwoofers,
GIK Acoustics
Treatments, Sony VPL-HW30ES Projector, Carada Criterion 100" Projection Screen, Panasonic Blu-Ray, Xbox One
post #27 of 37 Old 09-20-2016, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zorax2 View Post
One factor for the number of speakers may be the volume you intend to listen at. At high volumes, you will get a boost in capability with more speakers. If listening at moderate to low volumes, 2 to 4 speakers should be sufficient. The 18' ceiling height is the big variable as typical listening distances are often 8 to 12' and your seating positions will likely be farther away. The SPL calculator (http://www.acousticfrontiers.com/2013322spl-calculator/) may be helpful for you if you are curious about requirements for listening at high volumes. I'm more of a home theater person so I'm not sure what I'd do for someone like you who primarily listens to music. I've got 1 or 2 in-ceiling speakers in several rooms for our whole home audio system which is just fine for us as we don't listen to music at high volumes nor do critical listening to music. We're using much less capable in-ceiling speakers for that and I'm happy with them and wouldn't have spent the big bucks for the Ci200RR for those.

Also, related to critical listening, the in-ceiling speakers will lose the stereo separation at that height with Uni-Q drivers wide dispersion. You're probably aware of that though.

I've enjoyed Denon, Pioneer and Marantz AVRs and pre-pros. I'm happy with my ATI amps as well. Lots of choices depending on your budget and your end goals.
Thanks again . Yes I thought so too. But given the space limits and orientation of my room, I believe this is the best route I can go to get the best experience for my room. 18 feet ceiling is at the end a risk but I dont think the audio quality will go that bad. Hoping it satisfies me.
post #28 of 37 Old 10-12-2016, 04:55 PM
wse
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 2159 Post(s)
Liked: 786
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublewing11 View Post

How thick is the front board where they go in.

I am thinking of having them for surround and back as open speakers rather than in ceiling!
post #29 of 37 Old 03-13-2017, 06:48 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Hi,
The Ci3160RL doesn't come with a back box. The previous speaker, the Ci9000, did come with a back box. We do have recommendation on volume of space between the studs. The minimum box volume we recommend is 0.53 cubic feet. The ideal box volume we recommend is 1.06 cubic feet.
The Ci200RR doesn't come with a back box. The minimum box volume we recommend is 0.35 cubic feet. The ideal box volume we recommend is 0.71 cubic feet.

Sincerely,
KEF Direct
Do you have a back box volume recommendation for the Ci200QR?

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _____
The Spinal Tap Theater Build:
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...ter-build.html
post #30 of 37 Old 03-13-2017, 06:59 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorBlues View Post
Do you have a back box volume recommendation for the Ci200QR?
Hi GatorBlues,
You can see all the recommended volumes at the link below.

http://www.kef.com/uploads/files/en/...net_Volume.pdf

Sincerely,
KEF Direct

For more information please visit KEFDirect.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply KEF Music Lounge

Tags
dolby atmos , Kef , kef ci200rr-thx , kef music , thx , thx ultra 2