KEF Egg: The Best Speakers You Didn’t Know You Needed - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 09-23-2015, 06:15 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 28
KEF Egg: The Best Speakers You Didn’t Know You Needed

A new pair of funky oval speakers, the KEF Egg system, are some of the best sounding computer speakers you can buy. Only they’re not computer speakers. They’re powerful and versatile enough to replace a Jambox or a bookshelf stereo, too. And inside, they have the processing muscle to decode high-res audio files, something many computers and audio players don’t do by themselves.

Read the full article at the Wall Street Journal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 01-16-2017, 11:12 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 23
These look like fantastic speakers for a desktop 2.1 system. I like the coaxial design for nearfield listening and the rather unique feature of a sub output, unlike the also cool B&W MM-1s, which is great if you want to run a single digital signal from your source.

These are actually a bi-amped design with an active crossover but you'll not find any relevant details in their documentation or any reviews I have read. I received this reply from KEF when I asked about it:

The amps are Twin Class D Stereo amps.
All the amps are in the right speaker and if you find the right photo you'll see a four-conductor socket for the line to the other speaker.

Desktop: Paradigm Mini Monitors, Velodyne VA 1012 sub, Acurus A150 amp, Forté Audio model 40 preamp
HT: Magnepan MG10, Rythmik F15 sub, Paradigm CC-350, Aventage RX-A2020 AVR, (temporary HTiB surrounds)
Work: JBL Invader 4.1 system (in 2.1 mode)
post #3 of 3 Old 01-24-2017, 04:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1606 Post(s)
Liked: 852
I might like to read the article on the WSJ site but have no desire to sign up and get an endless stream of e-mails and offers from them (and their "partners") just to read it.

If KEF can get permission from WSJ to post it here or on the KEF websites, then I'll read it.

KEF R500, R200C, R100, SVS SB2000 sub, NAD T758 receiver, Pro-Ject RPM1 TT w/ Ortofon 2M Red, Bluesound Vault2, Sony BDP-S480 BlueRay player, Samsung UN55JU6500F 4K LED TV, KEF M500 headphones, Sony CDP-CE500 CD changer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply KEF Music Lounge

Tags
aux input , bluetooth , bluetooth speaker , Kef , kef egg , kef music , optical input

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page