• 1 Post By KefDirect
  • 1 Post By awu21212

post #1 of 2 Old 11-08-2016, 07:47 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 28
The Whispering Gallery

Generally, when I listen to music I listen without a subwoofer and just my two front speakers using the Pure Direct setting on my receiver. When I sit in my preferred listening spot in this 2.0 (two speakers, no sub) configuration, the bass guitar sometimes sounds like it's coming from behind my right shoulder. What I am experiencing is a standing wave at certain frequencies that is "piling up" in the space where I imagine the sound is coming from. This is due to a sympathetic resonant frequency (that increases the SPL of the sound wave). If my room dimensions were even a few inches different, or if I moved any of the furniture in the room even a little, this standing wave would disappear (or in reality, move elsewhere).

I talked about standing waves and how they can mess up an otherwise awesome home theater system last summer but there's another type of standing wave phenomena that occurs simply as a result of architectural design.

Read the full article here.
awu21212 likes this.

For more information please visit KEFDirect.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 11-09-2016, 01:02 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1
This is awesome, thanks so much for this. I've experienced this many places, but related to KEF, with the LS-50 many times!
KefDirect likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply KEF Music Lounge

Tags
canada , chicago's museum of science and industry , Kef , kef blog , kef music , royal british columbia museum in victoria , salt lake tabernacle in salt lake city , san francisco city hall , sound waves , whispering gallery waves

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page