Classic Front-to-Back Albums: Phil Spector - A Christmas Gift For You - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1 Old 12-13-2016, 01:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Classic Front-to-Back Albums: Phil Spector - A Christmas Gift For You

The final chapter of Phil Spector’s life is not a pleasant one, and beyond the jokes, quite a sad one. But it’s that time of year again when we try to look at the world through a lens that softens the bitter edges and makes the whole world teem with the joy and promise of a recording studio in LA in 1963. Maybe it’s okay to take a step back once in a while and revel in the good rather than constantly immersing in the bad, if only for the thirty-four minutes it takes to listen to this record. This is the great magic of music – it’s a respite from the world, or a reminder of it, it’s our choice. In the case of A Christmas Gift For You, I’ll choose to immerse myself in a world that probably never existed in real life, but I think we’d all be much better off if it had.

A Christmas Gift For YouPrior to 1963 there was a smattering of Christmas music – Rudolph, White Christmas, chestnuts on an open fire, but the release of Phil Spector’s A Christmas Gift For You was a landmark event in pop music history. All of those seasonal songs you either love or hate are the result of this album – pop stars and serious musicians have been trying to capture the magic of this record for fifty-three years. Most of the time that’s a good thing (KEF Blog December 11, 2013) or a bad thing (KEF Blog December 10, 2015).

Click here to read the full article

For more information please visit KEFDirect.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply KEF Music Lounge

Tags
album , christmas music , Kef , kef music kef blog , phil spector

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page