Introduction to the LS50W Part 2 - The DSP - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 02-14-2017, 01:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Introduction to the LS50W Part 2 - The DSP

KEF’s new LS50W Active Music System contains an on-board Digital Signal Processor (DSP) that has been specially designed and implemented to give you the magical experience of articulate, spacious and pristine musical reproduction regardless of listening environment. We have combined the renowned performance of the passive LS50 with a DSP and amplifier set that perfectly matches the requirements of our drivers and enclosure design – all in an enclosure set that is barely larger than the passive original.

The LS50W outperforms multiple component systems costing hundreds (if not thousands) of dollars more and that performance is owed in large part to the on-board DSP.

Read the full article here.

For more information please visit KEFDirect.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 02-20-2017, 08:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 995 Post(s)
Liked: 523
If you had to spend so many words talking about why you left design-conscious audiophiles in the cold by failing to include AirPlay...maybe you should've included AirPlay!

Hopefully you can address this flaw in the next version.

--
"In many cases there aren’t two sides unless one side is 'reality' and the other is 'nonsense.'" - Phil Plait
Serious Audio Blog 
post #3 of 8 Old 02-22-2017, 01:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by DS-21 View Post
If you had to spend so many words talking about why you left design-conscious audiophiles in the cold by failing to include AirPlay...maybe you should've included AirPlay!

Hopefully you can address this flaw in the next version.
The LS50W is a DLNA-based platform, ensuring compatibility with a wide array of audio products. As there are many products at this time that support DLNA but don't support Apple Music we designed the LS50W to interface with as many different products for as many different customer as possible. Currently, there is so much fluidity among the various available streaming platforms that in order to serve as many customers as possible DLNA was the most feasible choice. As the streaming landscape settles in, like other brands in our market, additional streaming platforms will be considered. In the coming months there will be announcements for additional platform support within the DLNA framework that can be implemented via user-friendly updates.

For more information please visit KEFDirect.com

post #4 of 8 Old 02-22-2017, 06:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 995 Post(s)
Liked: 523
Quote:
Originally Posted by KefDirect View Post
The LS50W is a DLNA-based platform, ensuring compatibility with a wide array of audio products.
But practically speaking, none that matter. Failure to include the longest-lived bit-perfect lossless streaming audio system, AirPlay, is a strategic and practical failure. Your linked document implicitly concedes the point by spending so much time defending the exclusion.

Quote:
As there are many products at this time that support DLNA but don't support Apple Music
Apple Music is clearly out of the scope of AirPlay.

Quote:
Currently, there is so much fluidity among the various available streaming platforms
Alternative fact alert!

The word you're looking for is "stability," not "fluidity." Maybe everyone else is still trying to get their act together, I don't know. But AirPlay has been providing music lovers bit-perfect digital wireless audio streaming for over a decade. Stereophile put the first AirPlay streamer on their cover in 2005.

Quote:
In the coming months there will be announcements for additional platform support within the DLNA framework that can be implemented via user-friendly updates.
I like technology to work for me rather than me fighting with it, so I have no idea what this "DLNA framework" computer mumbo-jumbo is. If it doesn't mean "shows up as an AirPlay speaker from any Mac/iDevice/AppleTV, streaming lossless audio that just works" then it's pointless.

To be clear, had the LS50W been spec'ed more thoughtfully, I'd have bought at least one pair from the first run, and possibly as many as four pairs. I've owned a bunch of KEF speakers in the past, and generally like what you guys do.

Unfortunately, here KEF dropped the ball on serving demographic who would logically be the top customers for this product: people willing and able to pay more for good design and a seamless "just works" experience with bit perfect streaming. Hopefully you can repair the damage, either via a firmware update or with a new version that has appropriate streaming hardware built in.

--
"In many cases there aren’t two sides unless one side is 'reality' and the other is 'nonsense.'" - Phil Plait
Serious Audio Blog 
post #5 of 8 Old 02-28-2017, 07:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1598 Post(s)
Liked: 848
I would like to know if you (DS-21) have any statistics on how many audio enthusiasts use Apple AirPlay. If so, what kind of equipment do they typically have, at what price point?

I don't own anything Apple and don't expect I ever will, though I resist saying never about anything. Right now I don't feel I need it, don't believe I'm missing anything....except a pair of LS50 Wireless. That could happen someday. Trouble is my younger son (27) has taken an interest in motorcycles so I'm back to spending on motorbike stuff again. Happily.

KEF R500, R200C, R100, SVS SB2000 sub, NAD T758 receiver, Pro-Ject RPM1 TT w/ Ortofon 2M Red, Bluesound Vault2, Sony BDP-S480 BlueRay player, Samsung UN55JU6500F 4K LED TV, KEF M500 headphones, Sony CDP-CE500 CD changer.
post #6 of 8 Old 03-08-2017, 07:27 PM
wse
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 2204 Post(s)
Liked: 809
post #7 of 8 Old 07-21-2017, 03:16 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked: 103
AirPlay is very widely used in many home theater and audiophile devices. I don't want to use Bluetooth and never do. If it was at least AAC it would work better with Apple devices.
DLNA is not the same thing at all.
Pretty much every music service works with AirPlay as well.

Last edited by SoCalCyclist; 07-21-2017 at 03:19 AM.
post #8 of 8 Old 08-17-2017, 01:44 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by DS-21 View Post
But practically speaking, none that matter. Failure to include the longest-lived bit-perfect lossless streaming audio system, AirPlay, is a strategic and practical failure. Your linked document implicitly concedes the point by spending so much time defending the exclusion.
Apple Music is clearly out of the scope of AirPlay.
Alternative fact alert!
The word you're looking for is "stability," not "fluidity." Maybe everyone else is still trying to get their act together, I don't know. But AirPlay has been providing music lovers bit-perfect digital wireless audio streaming for over a decade. Stereophile put the first AirPlay streamer on their cover in 2005.
I like technology to work for me rather than me fighting with it, so I have no idea what this "DLNA framework" computer mumbo-jumbo is. If it doesn't mean "shows up as an AirPlay speaker from any Mac/iDevice/AppleTV, streaming lossless audio that just works" then it's pointless.
To be clear, had the LS50W been spec'ed more thoughtfully, I'd have bought at least one pair from the first run, and possibly as many as four pairs. I've owned a bunch of KEF speakers in the past, and generally like what you guys do.
Unfortunately, here KEF dropped the ball on serving demographic who would logically be the top customers for this product: people willing and able to pay more for good design and a seamless "just works" experience with bit perfect streaming. Hopefully you can repair the damage, either via a firmware update or with a new version that has appropriate streaming hardware built in.

Totally agree. Kef knows better than to say Airplay is solely identified with Apple Music so it does not establish a lot of trust for them to pretend like it does. It's a pretty lame excuse on their part and they know it.
I also thought they are spending so much time defending not including Airplay that they must have had a lot of complaints about it.
Anyway I use an Apple TV to HDMI to optical port from my Samsung JS9000 using Airplay. I put an iFI spidf purifier between the TV and Kef's which really improves sound quality.
I'm also using a Sonicorbiter via ethernet to USB which provides really great sound quality via Roon.
Now that Kef has finally issued firmware and app updates to get these speaker like they should have been I just ordered a second pair.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply KEF Music Lounge

Tags
bluetooth speaker , dsp , Kef , kef ls50 , kef ls50 wireless , kef music , wireless speaker

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page